BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

I didn't compare Savage to anyone, but I do think he offers more to the team than Mokoena does in a 4 man midfield.

I do think we have a bad midield:

Tugay was a great player and sometimes still produces the goods, but we're asking too much of someone his age if we expect him to regularly perform in the fastest league in the world.

Mokoena does a job, he's ok, but he shouldn't be starting for a team aiming for a top 6 finish and making noises about even sneaking into the top 4.

Reid has yet to rediscover his form of two seasons ago. He still might, but we have to expect that he will continue to pick up small injuries in the short-term and that it probably won't be until next season that we really start to see him getting back to his best.

Dunn isn't the player he was and although he can do a job, again I don't think he is really good enough for a team going for the top 6, particularly not when he has no one outstanding beside him. He'll also regularly pick up injuries.

Now all of those players deserve a place in our squad and all of them could be part of very good teams, but in order for them to form a good partnership they need someone very good alonsgide them, at the moment we just don't have that. If you could add to that, say Arteta, and have a midfield pairing of Arteta with any of those then I would feel great about our midfield, but the fact of the matter is it is pretty much average all the way through. I am of the belief that central midfied is the most important area of a team, so despite the fact that I honeslty believe we are above average in every other area of the team, apart from right-back, to a large extent it is undone by the fact that our central midfield is not quite good enough. I think several of our underperforming players would benefit greatly from an improved central midfield. Our strikers would get more chances and have to drop into midfield less, our wide players (really only talking about MGP) would not have to drift into the middle as often and would also be able to rely on the ball being fed to them regularly and our back four wouldn't be exposed by the fact that opposition midfields usually dominate the game, leading to our back four being under a huge amount of pressure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for the price being mentioned. If we spent 1-2 million on him then I would think it would be a decent signing with some potential, but any more than that and we are blowing out transfer budget on a player who has plenty of chances in the premiership, but has yet to really impress. The fact that he looked good in the championship and for a while for Wales doesn't mean he deserves to have 4-5 million blown on him.

Dunn isn't the player he was and although he can do a job, again I don't think he is really good enough for a team going for the top 6, particularly not when he has no one outstanding beside him. He'll also regularly pick up injuries.

I don;t know, Dunn hasn't got injured n a while. THings have really turned the corner for him. I do agree however that he is the sort of player who needs someone to mop up for him. On the plus side Reid can do that.

I don;t know, Dunn hasn't got injured n a while. THings have really turned the corner for him. I do agree however that he is the sort of player who needs someone to mop up for him. On the plus side Reid can do that.

On the physical fitness front, he's been mostly ok since his back operation. On a match fitness front, it took till after he got here to get back. He's probably been our most available midfielder in terms of injuries and suspensions since he rejoined yet people insist on calling him a sicknote (not you).

I think Koumas would be a good signing. He is a talented player, his potential has not yet been realised IMO

Ill' give you that he is a talented footballer, but its only at a lower level that his talents can really flourish.

If Rovers are to maintain and even threaten to challenge the higher end of the premiership then Jason Koumas is DEFINITELY ONE WHO CANNOT DO IT at that level. Just ask West Brom, just ask the Wigan manager Steve Bruce.

If Mark Hughes signs Koumas then for me Hughes has lost my respect and i dont think he can take Rovers any further it signals the beginning of the end.

Fingers crossed this scenario doesnt pan out.

On the physical fitness front, he's been mostly ok since his back operation. On a match fitness front, it took till after he got here to get back. He's probably been our most available midfielder in terms of injuries and suspensions since he rejoined yet people insist on calling him a sicknote (not you).

Hardly faced stiff competition on that front though. Reid various injuries, Savage broken leg, Tugay age and Mokoena...crapness.

Ill' give you that he is a talented footballer, but its only at a lower level that his talents can really flourish.

If Rovers are to maintain and even threaten to challenge the higher end of the premiership then Jason Koumas is DEFINITELY ONE WHO CANNOT DO IT at that level. Just ask West Brom, just ask the Wigan manager Steve Bruce.

If Mark Hughes signs Koumas then for me Hughes has lost my respect and i dont think he can take Rovers any further it signals the beginning of the end.

i'm sure he'll be gutted he's lost your respect. if he signs koumas i'm prepared to give him a go and see what happens. hughes has worked with him before with wales and so knows a bit about him. samba was playing in hertha's reserves at the time, bentley had been at loan at norwich and santa had been at bayern for years and never scored more than 5 league goals a season.

koumas has always been regarded as someone with talent, and if hughes can get something out of him in an area where we're really lacking then it will be worth it.

if you're the sort to pre judge a hughes signing, even after his previous track record i dont think your respect for hughes means very much at all.

To be fair I think Hughes knows far more about the players than you do. He has signed a clutch of individuals cast off by their previous clubs as not good enough and turned them into some cracking talent. I have much much more respect for his opinion than yours, I mean who have you signed? :rolleyes:

To be fair I think Hughes knows far more about the players than you do. He has signed a clutch of individuals cast off by their previous clubs as not good enough and turned them into some cracking talent. I have much much more respect for his opinion than yours, I mean who have you signed? :rolleyes:

Its like i say, not on this one he doesnt , hopefully its all hypothetical.

That's a fairly ridiculous comment, and your ire is aimed at the wrong targets. What can Hughes possibly do if he is only given enough backing to go for "a Koumas"?

(It appears even Koumas is far too expensive for us and therefore not likely to happen but you catch my drift)

Or (pricing considerations aside) next year's ST sales / attendances?

Sadly you might well be right on that but then there is the summer window to use for finding the right eye-catching signing(s). I wonder what would you two be saying if we were £11m light and parading Gary Cahill and Marlon King?

Routledge if he recovers his Palace form, perhaps Prica and maybe that loan guy at Brum are the only players in our price range we might end up watching wistfully in future. Cannot say I feel we lost out otherwise because the reality of this window has been an expensive shuffle of dross for the most part. I don't think there was anyone worth chasing even if an extra £10m had been magiced up.

That's a fairly ridiculous comment, and your ire is aimed at the wrong targets. What can Hughes possibly do if he is only given enough backing to go for "a Koumas"?

(It appears even Koumas is far too expensive for us and therefore not likely to happen but you catch my drift)

Rovers for me, can and should be getting better value for money players than Koumas, they've e just got to be out there in the right places, i just feel they are looking in the same places as before and theres not a lot out there.

I wonder if a new man or new men may mean searching in different places to where we are currently looking can uncover more talent, you've got to admit it seems to going a bit stale with money the root of all evil being touted as the reason.

Nicko made a valid point about how half the team was Souness then Mark Hughes took over then added to it to which it improved and now, maybe another new man needs to come in and take it on.

Rovers for me, can and should be getting better value for money players than Koumas, they've e just got to be out there in the right places, i just feel they are looking in the same places as before and theres not a lot out there.

I wonder if a new man or new men may mean searching in different places to where we are currently looking can uncover more talent, you've got to admit it seems to going a bit stale with money the root of all evil being touted as the reason.

Nicko made a valid point about how half the team was Souness then Mark Hughes took over then added to it to which it improved and now, maybe another new man needs to come in and take it on.

Buffoon.

You make me embarrassed to be a Blackburn fan

Archived