BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mc Carthy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the looks of it the majority of Rovers fans think Benni should be sold but who thinks Rovers should keep him

I have always been a proponent of playing Roberts over Benny until he has come out of his slump, but due to the fact that Roberts wants to leave, we would be foolish to sell him. Maybe he will never be loved by all members of the boards but he can score a goal and is very useful. Roberts to me seems to have more desire but his ability does not match Benny, so no we shouldn’t sell him.

I've been very frustrated by his performances this year. The argument for him was that he can look uninterested, do little in a game but he will still score goals. Unfortunately 3 goals from open play this season tells a different story.

However during this window I would only sell him if we got a decent fee and had someone lined up as a replacement who in Sparkys opinion will improve the team.

I think it would be pointless to sell him because:

1) Every player can fall into a bad form. But I doubt we would be as lucky as to find someone of Benni's talents again for such a small amount of money. He's proven to be one of the best strikers in the league.

2) People are blaming him for being "disinterested", but I do not see that. He tries as hard as the rest of the team. And I can't think of any big player out there that is a "huge Rovers fan", if that's what people want.

2) People are blaming him for being "disinterested", but I do not see that. He tries as hard as the rest of the team. And I can't think of any big player out there that is a "huge Rovers fan", if that's what people want.

I dont know, for me , he does to much Ameatur Dramatics. When ever something doesnt go his way his hands are straight up in the air. Or if he has a pen shout turned down, he stays down for ages. He doesnt show much "Get up and Go"

I think people are judging his performances harsher because of what happened (Or didn't happen) in the summer. Personally I don't blame him for that; one of the biggest clubs in the world, who'd offer CL football, a reuinon with a manager he enjoys working with and a wage rise? Who wouldn't be interested in that? Be realistic here, we're not Barcelona. He hasn't expressed a general interest in leaving, just said (in so many words) that if Mourinho was to come in for him he'd be interested.

He hasn't been particularly good this season no, but apart from Bentley, Roque and Brad, who has been consistently good? When he plays poorly people put it down to "He doesn't want to be here", but not when it's someone else. His style of play isn't of the headless chicken variety, but he's also not as lazy as some of you make him out to be. Preconceived notions and past experiences always taint our judgement of the present; when we like a player, we regard his performance more positively than we would have viewed the same performance if we hadn't liked the player.

If we can bring in a better striker for the same fee, then go for it. But I seriously doubt there is a player like that out there. I want to see a lot more from Benni, but that's because I know he has more to offer.

He has not actually scored that many goals recently....

However, as Roberts is off there is no point in selling him, even if he does have a release cluase in the summer. His poor form means few people are interested so the price will be low and the fact of the matter is that if he can be summond from his slump he is a real threat.

I would say that depending on the money available after Roberts goes we could go for a high quality quick player to play off Cruz who would legitimately force McCarthy on the the bench. Fact is both Cruz and McCarthy come deep, our wingers are slow- if we get a direct player who is good and fast they will start more often than not.

Hughes should get shut of Macarthy and Mokoena asap instead of fannying around. Macarthy has a very poor work rate and when the rest of the team are struggling Rovers simply cant afford to keep Macarthy in the team. If the team was stronger then maybe we'd be able to carry Macarthy but it aint we cant must go.

A faster harder working forward is required to play alongside Cruz plus TWO quality central midfielders is required.

Can Hughes pull it off is he thinking like this ?

A faster harder working forward is required to play alongside Cruz plus TWO quality central midfielders is required.

Can Hughes pull it off is he thinking like this ?

Hope he's not thinking like that! What's with the hard working stuff regarding McCarthy? Give him the right service and he will get you goals. Would you rather have a less skillfull player running around like an idiot, is Dickov available?

Would you rather have a less skillfull player running around like an idiot, is Dickov available?

Exactly. The less hard working strikers rely on their ability to finish and as proven by his goal against arsenal last season Benni has the ability to finish from anywhere in and around the box. I'm sure you wouldn't have a go at RvN for being lazy if he was scoring 25 goals a season for us.

Hope he's not thinking like that! What's with the hard working stuff regarding McCarthy? Give him the right service and he will get you goals. Would you rather have a less skillfull player running around like an idiot, is Dickov available?

Ever since the Shearer/Sutton/Gallacher era i've always believed in defending from the front, Cruz for me seems to have the energy for it, but Macarthy wants everything laid on plate and thus deemed a weakness when we havent got the ball.

Everyone can see that Rovers play in Benni time and not in real time if the midfield was stronger i would definitley call it differently but thats how i see it.

Exactly. The less hard working strikers rely on their ability to finish and as proven by his goal against arsenal last season Benni has the ability to finish from anywhere in and around the box. I'm sure you wouldn't have a go at RvN for being lazy if he was scoring 25 goals a season for us.

I doubt anyone would be having a go if Benni looked like scoring 25 goals this season for us either. Quick reminder, Benni "The best finisher at the club" McCarthy was one on one with the Cov keeper on Saturday - he smashed the ball straight at him. That happens to the best of them of course but I really do struggle to recall anything else of value he brought to the Rovers game.

As for selling him. You'd have to find someone who wants to buy him first.

Hughes has backed him - he's not for sale. Everyone knows he has the ability but it means nothing without the desire and application. I really do hope he turns it around - he can be a massive asset to us.

Now if any of u would rather have Roberts ahead of McCarthy then you all have lost the plot…Roberts is big,strong guy but when given the chance he didn’t really impress me at all.Works hard yeh,but putting the ball in the back of the net is another story.

Benni might not work hard,but put the ball in the right area and he will get you a goal.Service has been coming from Bentley,but on the left hand side Gamst has been awful.ive seen bents running from the right to the left,then trying to feed McCarthy and Cruz.thats just ridiculous.we seem to be playing with one midfielder,and the others are just making up the numbers.

Archived