• Samba
    • Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

This Sunday sees the welcome of local rivals Bolton to Ewood. Bolton have had a difficult season so far and currently find themselves just three points above the relegation zone. After the departure of Big Sam, Little Sam' stepped in and stupidity attempted to get Bolton playing football. However Bolton where brought back to their old 4-5-1, no-nonsense selves after the appointment of Gary Megson. Despite Bolton's poor league position they'll be on a high after their midweek win in Europe against Athletico Madrid and Rovers are no doubt in for a real tough task.

Rovers overcame Bolton 2-1 at the Breezeblock early this season with Jason Roberts making a vital impact from the bench.

However Rovers record against Bolton at Ewood is somewhat poor over recent seasons:

2003/2004: ROVERS 3-4 Bolton

Rovers went 3-1 up in this game with Gresko (remember him?) getting on the scoresheet only for Bolton to come back and score three goals to win 4-3.

-------------------------------------------

2004/2005: ROVERS 0-1 Bolton

Hard to think it's over three years since this superb piece of simulation by Mr.Diouf won Bolton the three points. Still aggrieved about that to this day. <_<

_40756641_dioufpenalty203.jpg

Is it a bird? is it a plane? no it's that cheating b****d!

2005/2006: ROVERS 0-0 Bolton

Bolton's' Japanese superstar Nakata was sent off in the first half after hacking down Robbie Savage, This killed the game and Rovers failed to capitalise on their man advantage.

Last Season: ROVERS 0-1 Bolton

Bolton won the game thanks to a goal from Ivan 'Fat Michael Jackson' Campo. However Rovers threw away the chance to at least get a point from the game when Rovers missed two penalties in the dying minutes. Kevin ' Big Gob' Nolan was also sent off after having a little bit too much to say to the referee.

So as you can see Rovers have been frustrated many times by Bolton here at Ewood in the past. Surely this season our luck will change and we'll record a win against them?

I think so, I'm going for a 1-0 Rovers win, Santa Cruz getting a rare home goal.

Discuss...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll stay with my preview of the away game a few weeks ago.

Bolton play terminally ugly football, get 11 men behind the ball and try and score on the counter attack or from set-pieces.

It's going to take some guile from us to get a win. We may need a stroke of genius *bangs head on wall* from MGP to break them down.

My only prediction is that Jussi Jaaskelainen will waste time like a cancer-ridden 80 year old woman wheeling a trolley around the supermarket if The Piggies are drawing or 1-0 up at half time.

Thanks grizfoot for the preview, didnt realise how good a record Bolton have over us despite playing the most unattractive football anyone has ever seen - bring back Nat Lofthouse or is he the reason why they still pump the ball high high into the sky until the opposition lose sight of the ball and then Bolton capitalise.

Surely football will win the day and that would at least mean a comfortable victory for the Rovers, surely.

Looking for good performances from Dunny and Pedersen.

Thanks grizfoot for the preview, didnt realise how good a record Bolton have over us despite playing the most unattractive football anyone has ever seen - bring back Nat Lofthouse or is he the reason why they still pump the ball high high into the sky until the opposition lose sight of the ball and then they capitalise.

Surely football will win the day and that would at least mean a comfortable victory for the Rovers, surely.

Looking for good performances from Dunny and Pedersen.

With them in Madrid on the Thursday, and Rovers fresh from training in America, we will win. 2-0 I'm going for.

Good call Frosty - I'd forgotten they'll have a Euro hangover (forgotten despite being green with envy at their trip to Madrid).

2-0 to the good guys.

We havent beaten Bolton at home in the league since the 99/00 season.

Seems ages ago!

No change here, 0-0.

:o Bloody hell didnt realise it had been that long!

Quality preview grizfoot. Have they really missed Anelka that much though?

Still, gotta go with Rovers for this fixture. 2-0, Lazy and Santa Cruz with the goals.

:rover: i hope we have 2 men up front,a player on the halfway line when we are defending a corner and a goal would be nice :brfcsmilie:

Yes, if Hughes doesnt use a player as an outlet from defending one of our own corners then for me this is unforgiveable. After seeing Macarthy at Arsenal you'd want him as far away from our own box as is possible.

3-0 to us,can't see them creating much and with recharged batteries we should set up a rowt and get rid of that awful record of home goals.

Pedersen needs to stop frustrating me and whack a granny smasher in, Roque to get a header and a penalty to us.

Bye bye to this game next year because the piggies are going to market (relegation).

Im flying over for this one....so we will lose 2-0.

My record since ive been forking out to fly over is poor. In the last year ive seen the 4-1 defeat to United, the leverkusen home game and the inter toto one...so im not confident.

Im also introducing the mrs to the beautiful town that is Blackpool and taking her to ewood for the game. As she doesnt understand my passion for rovers and ive been convincing her for months that its special...im sure to get an egg on my face. So Diouf to dive, tugay sent off, 2-0 bolton, rubbish pie, warm pint, hot credit card selling girl to ensure my gf is in a mood with me and a brick through the window in the car park.

Last year I got a signed birthday card from the whole squad courtesy of my mates wife who is the senior steward who looks after the visitors dignatories, this year the squad have decided to deliver me a 3 point birthday gift :rolleyes:

Is about time Rovers buried the winkers hoodoo at Ewood.

This week ends with my birthday so I have taken a vow of silence and am not talking to my wife and daughter all week (both support the winkers). Today, I refused point blank to go the breezeblock shopping estate as she wanted to buy me a prezzie from there !

Spit the diouf will dive as usual, Tugay will no doubt get booked for something silly and will give the ball away a lot in the first half. Rovers will get pummelled with the long ball in free kicks and throw ins.

Rovers will resist, there will be numerous red and yellow cards and little goal action.

2-0 Rovers

Roque Santa Cruz bagging a pair of beauties :brfcsmilie:

Well after a bunch of tough games against opposition well set up to hurt us Bolton will be a relief. We can play 2 up as Waggy wants and get right up the pitch without having to worry about too much pace on the counter. Bolton are a poor side at the moment.

My team would be:

-------------Cruz

--------------------McCarthy

---Dunn--------------Reid------Bentley

--------------Mokoena

Warnock---Samba---Zurab---Emerton

--------------------Freidal

But really this could be the game where we see something a bit different. Hughes could fancy giving Roberts or Derbs a shot after McCarthy's poor effort against Arsenal. Or Treacy might get a proper shot. Or Tugay could concievably play after having a decent performance last week. It actually seems we have quite a few options... that is except in defence.

For me I would be sorely tempted to try anyone instead of Pedersen out wide.

bolton have been playing well lately..okay they have lost anelka but defensivly they are very strong..

i think the team should be...

.................friedal.............

emerton...samba..zurab..warnock..

bentley....reid...dunn.....pedersen..

.........roberts...santa cruz.....

after mcarthy's poor showing against arsenal, i think jason roberts should be given a start...

with bolton playing on thursday-which is likely to be a tough game-we should be fitter then them..

we need to get back to winning ways at ewood..

My team would be:

-------------McCarthy

----------------Cruz

Pedersen---Dunn------Reid------Bentley

Warnock---Samba---Zurab---Emerton

--------------------Friedel--------------

I think if Cruz plays a bit deeper and allows Benni to get in and around the box more often, it might suit him better.

After 70 minutes, bring on Roberts for either Benni or Roque and let him do the same as he did at the Reebok against tired defenders. :)

Archived