• McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

My team would be:

-------------McCarthy

----------------Cruz

Pedersen---Dunn------Reid------Bentley

Warnock---Samba---Zurab---Emerton

--------------------Friedel--------------

I think if Cruz plays a bit deeper and allows Benni to get in and around the box more often, it might suit him better.

After 70 minutes, bring on Roberts for either Benni or Roque and let him do the same as he did at the Reebok against tired defenders. :)

Benni can't hold up the ball for toffee this season and RSC is superb at doing so. We need the ball to stick when it goes forward as we don't have the pace to support very quickly. Playing Benni further up and RSC dropping in would result in a very frustrating game for us, I suspect.

Play with 2 out and out attackers up top and go at 'em. They Bentley hugging the touchline and whipping crosses in. Similarly for the left midfielder (MGP, Dunn, Treacy?)(although Dunn isn't going to whip crosses in with his left peg, admittedly...)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, one of the few things that Benni has regularly done well is holding up the ball. The fact that he rarely has anyone to then play a ball too makes things difficult, but he does it well. Trying to push him forward might help him out.

Actually, one of the few things that Benni has regularly done well is holding up the ball. The fact that he rarely has anyone to then play a ball too makes things difficult, but he does it well. Trying to push him forward might help him out.

He holds onto the ball very well, the problem is when he tries to move it on! He manages to give it away even when there are a couple of Rovers players clearly available for the pass. He tries a flick and gets the pace of the ball wrong, or wrongly anticpates the moves of our players.

Main problem for Benni is he lacks pace so when he falls back into midfield to pick up the ball he is there for the long haul. I guess we could try Benni up front and Cruz just behind, shame to loose Rock's great control but we need the partnership to work. If Benni does go back up top we could see our offside rate rocket again though....

Its sad really. Rocky seems like the ideal partner for pretty much any striker but there is just something lacking in their interaction. They always seem so far apart and on different wavelengths. Rocky wants the quick ball, Benni wants to slow it down. That sort of thing.

The only reason I think it might work is their cooperation in the Everton(?) game when they played a good one two and Roque flicked it over the top for the more advanced McCarthy, who should have scored but went down for a penalty. Most days he would have put that away and we would be banging on about great chemistry between them. Am I thinking of the right game? I remember the one two, just not the opposition.

the big question surrounding sunday is do i ring in sick to work to go the Bolton game? is it worth a lost £40 to a student already sailing lose to the wind? what you's reckon....

You could always put a tenner on Bolton to win at 4/1 with Extra Bet. Go to the match - and if we win you're glad you went, lose you'll have made £40 profit anyway - and if it's a draw you could always just get lashed on cider like a normal student ;)

I'll stay with my preview of the away game a few weeks ago.

Bolton play terminally ugly football, get 11 men behind the ball and try and score on the counter attack or from set-pieces.

We don't even do that at the moment.

Well after a bunch of tough games against opposition well set up to hurt us Bolton will be a relief. We can play 2 up as Waggy wants and get right up the pitch without having to worry about too much pace on the counter. Bolton are a poor side at the moment.

My team would be:

-------------Cruz

--------------------McCarthy

---Dunn--------------Reid------Bentley

--------------Mokoena

Warnock---Samba---Zurab---Emerton

--------------------Freidal ------------>Find Five Mistakes B)

His name is Friedel for god's sake...Come on guys, after eight years at the club you should have learned to spell his name correctly...

Just had a call from a winker friend of the family and Boltons ticket sales have just reached the magic number of 1900 !!

I hope we get a birthday win for us both Warren. I remember the promotion season win at Bolton well on the 23rd of Feb - so hopefully a similar birthday present a day late this year. With you having Winkers in the family though - I really hope we win for you!

The only reason I think it might work is their cooperation in the Everton(?) game when they played a good one two and Roque flicked it over the top for the more advanced McCarthy, who should have scored but went down for a penalty. Most days he would have put that away and we would be banging on about great chemistry between them. Am I thinking of the right game? I remember the one two, just not the opposition.

It was Everton and he might have scored had Jagielka not grabbed his shirt. I wasn't sure at the time but the replay later clearly showed it.

I would of thought the crowd would be much nearer 25k at least!

I dunno, they arnt bringing many apparantly, Lee said on the official board that they had sold around 1000 tickets as of yesterday.

Im thinking 21/22000

Archived