BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Money Spent

PAFELL

When we compare how much Rovers have spent in the transfer market- say during the past 3 years, the fact they are 9th, pushing for a uefa place, not that many points away from a champions league position, qualified for europe - even if via the intertoto - I ask a question,

Has any other club in the premier spent as much or less and achieved the same as Rovers? I suggest most if not every club has spent more than Rovers and achieved less.

Some reading this may say that there is no achievement at Rovers, but finishing mid-table and above in the premiership is success in a way as it is better than flurting with relegation every season.

Rovers are building a platform and a very good platform for future success. Yet have spent the least - in my view - than any other club in the prem - so no other club can say that Rovers have 'bought' the present achievments - instead they have earned it. The club is more or less stable - and therefore ripe for a take over - which is also a target that the club has in view..

We've certainly spent well, not overstretched our limits to acquire players, which is a major factor in the Premiership, but our final league position will be the proof of the pudding. If we finish 8th or above then I think Hughes and his squad will have done a fantastic job (not that I think finishing anywhere above 17th isn't a great achievement because, given our spending, it probably is) and it'll be more interesting to see what he does in the summer. I am giving serious consideration to getting a season ticket next season (something I've not done before) despite the fact it's a 6 hour round trip to Ewood, and that's predominently down to the attacking and aggressive football that Hughes has instilled into Blackburn. Jack would genuinely be very, very proud of Blackburn Rovers at this point, and rightly so. Mark Hughes has done him, and all us supporters proud. This isn't meant to be a rant, I just think that he is, along with our squad of players, deserving of our full credit.

Think you'll find that over the last few seasons Arsenal have been the best value for money team in the league. Im pretty sure their transfer dealings have actually made them money. There was an article about it recently,

They haven't spent big on individual players (£9m Eduardo, £12m? Walcott expected), but they do buy a lot of young players for £1-3m who just play for their youth teams or reserves, in total I wouldn't be surprised if they spent as much as the other big 4. But I will stand corrected if someone's got the stats to say otherwise(!)

Think you'll find that over the last few seasons Arsenal have been the best value for money team in the league. Im pretty sure their transfer dealings have actually made them money. There was an article about it recently,

Imo that doesn`t count,Arsenal have had the money to gamble on players whereas Rovers haven`t.I see the point you are making but as much as Wenger has done well,he has also dropped some clangers.Eg:Jeffers £9m,Richard wright £6m to name just 2 off the top of my head.

Pound for pound i think Rovers stand head and shoulders above the rest of the prem with regards to value for money,especially within the last 3 years.

Imo that doesn`t count,Arsenal have had the money to gamble on players whereas Rovers haven`t.I see the point you are making but as much as Wenger has done well,he has also dropped some clangers.Eg:Jeffers £9m,Richard wright £6m to name just 2 off the top of my head.

Um, Wenger bought those guys the same time we were lashing out 6-7m each on Cole and Grabbi. Its only since 2005 we have really had very little money.

Thing is for Arsenal is that they have sold players as well as bought them. Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea very rarely make much mone as they raraely sell. Arsenal have let Henry, Reyes, Ljungberg, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Viera etc. all leave whilst still very much in the game. This means they have generated loads of cash. I would be tempted to say they have spent around £10m net on transfers over the last three seasons, which for a team leading the league is pretty astonishing. Man utd, Liverpool and Chelsea must have all spent six or seven times that. Even Spurs have dwarfed it.

Over the last three or so seasons we have done very well with transfers, but I suppose you have to say Arsene is the king.

We have done really well considering the resources we have. But this also poses the question, how well would we have done if there was more money available?

That's a good question. Souness bought some outstanding/very good players on the cheap who did a great job for us- Tugay, Friedel, Hughes, Thompson, Niell, Pedersen, Stead. When he was lashing out the money though it was much more of a mixed bag, with a couple of real stinkers.

Maybe Hughes would be the same, maybe he wouldn't. It would be interesting to find out.

:rover: they had the price off the everton team that played city in the paper the other day,the money a team like everton have spent compared to us is frightening :brfcsmilie:

I just did a quick comparison - and Evertons team against City cost 43.75m compared to our team against Bolton costing 22.2m. Everton have got Pienaar and Fernandes on loan too - who I'd imagine would cost upwards of £15m to actually buy - making their team nearly three times as expensive as ours. (I did assume some prices in this - such as Bentley at 0.7m)

Um, Wenger bought those guys the same time we were lashing out 6-7m each on Cole and Grabbi. Its only since 2005 we have really had very little money.

Thing is for Arsenal is that they have sold players as well as bought them. Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea very rarely make much mone as they raraely sell. Arsenal have let Henry, Reyes, Ljungberg, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Viera etc. all leave whilst still very much in the game. This means they have generated loads of cash. I would be tempted to say they have spent around £10m net on transfers over the last three seasons, which for a team leading the league is pretty astonishing. Man utd, Liverpool and Chelsea must have all spent six or seven times that. Even Spurs have dwarfed it.

Over the last three or so seasons we have done very well with transfers, but I suppose you have to say Arsene is the king.

If you look, United haven't spent too much net over the last few seasons. They've done a lot with small amounts up front, plus sold a few players, such as RVN, Smith, Obi Mikel (what a deal for them), etc.

and in the same time, 10 million for RVN, 12 million for Obi Mikel, 6 or 8 for Alan Smith, 5.5 for Kieran Richardson, 2 million for Bardsley, 1 million for Shawcross some smaller transfers that probably add up to a couple million (Rossi, Howard, Spector, etc)

And Tevez was no where near 40 million, maybe eventually, but for this year and next he's only on loan - with a fee I'm sure.

:rover: they had the price off the everton team that played city in the paper the other day,the money a team like everton have spent compared to us is frightening :brfcsmilie:

Their chairman Bill Kenwright is raking the money in at the moment so expect more spending in the summer...... <_<

Looking at the Prem table tonight is like being in wonderland.Rovers sitting pretty,just 2 points behind the likes of Liverpool who have spent(wasted) god knows how many millions!.A testament to the people behind this grand 'owd club punching way,way above its relative weight.

I just cant help the feeling though that envious eyes are watching and scheming, ready for a summer assault at the gates of Ewood with their filthy lucre in hand. :unsure:

and in the same time, 10 million for RVN, 12 million for Obi Mikel, 6 or 8 for Alan Smith, 5.5 for Kieran Richardson, 2 million for Bardsley, 1 million for Shawcross some smaller transfers that probably add up to a couple million (Rossi, Howard, Spector, etc)

And Tevez was no where near 40 million, maybe eventually, but for this year and next he's only on loan - with a fee I'm sure.

That transfer income is covering the down payment on the transfer fees as I suggested. The bits and bobs from sales of reserves is more than taken care of by the odd millions going out for snatching precocious youngsters Arsenal-style.

The £12m received for Obi is subject to review and likely to be over-turned - in fact I don't know even whether it has been paid by Chelsea to Man U as there were legal processes started the moment that transfer was "settled" allowing Obi's registration as a Chelsea player.

The Tevez transfer price as everyone knows is in fact £2m. That's what Man U paid West Ham.

That Man U are paying Joorbachian £6m a year, Tevez £4m a year and there is a Mascherano-style £15m bubble due to Mr Joorbachian to prevent Tevez (Joorbachian) becoming a free agent at some point during the four year loan is all a malicious rumour designed to help Sheff U beat the stuffing out of West Ham in their current legally binding arbitration.

Moyes has been at Everton for six years this month. In that time, they've spent £79m ish and recovered £52m ish. That's a deficit of £27 million over the six years.

Now, that does sound a lot, but that it works out at £4.5 million spent per season. That's a very reasonable figure of investment to expect at a club that wants to finish in the top half, and Moyes has shown what that relatively small level of investment can achieve if spent wisely over a period of time.

I have no doubt that Sparky could achieve the same (if not better) than Moyes given that amount to spend each summer, but unfortunately we'll never get to find out whether he can do it with us unless some money comes from outside the club. What it does show though is that, with the right manager, you don't necessarily need to throw silly money at a club to challenge the top four.

I am really impressed with the team Moyes has put together. Extraordinarily solid- Lescott, Baines, Jageielka, Yobo, Arteta, Cahill, Fernandes, Yakubu and Johnson are all first rate Premiership players. These are then added to by some excellent squad men in Osman, Pienaar, Gravesen, Hibbert and Carsley. Plus they have two very promising youngsters in Anichebe and Vaughan. Its a great squad with the sort of strength in depth Villa don't possess.

Things next season are going to be a bit tricky for us. Villa, Everton, Portsmouth, Spurs will all seriously strengthen. There are financial question marks over West Ham and City so we might be alright on that front. The big problem for us is that all these clubs have good sensible managers who will build for the long term a la Moyes. The one thing for us is a few of those clubs do have crackpot chairmen who destabalise things a bit, maybe be stupid and sack one of these sensible managers when they have a poor run. Portsmouth could go through a dawn out selling phase which might make things difficult for them.

The top half is of the highest standard since the Premiership began.

I am really impressed with the team Moyes has put together. Extraordinarily solid- Lescott, Baines, Jageielka, Yobo, Arteta, Cahill, Fernandes, Yakubu and Johnson are all first rate Premiership players. These are then added to by some excellent squad men in Osman, Pienaar, Gravesen, Hibbert and Carsley. Plus they have two very promising youngsters in Anichebe and Vaughan. Its a great squad with the sort of strength in depth Villa don't possess.

Things next season are going to be a bit tricky for us. Villa, Everton, Portsmouth, Spurs will all seriously strengthen. There are financial question marks over West Ham and City so we might be alright on that front. The big problem for us is that all these clubs have good sensible managers who will build for the long term a la Moyes. The one thing for us is a few of those clubs do have crackpot chairmen who destabalise things a bit, maybe be stupid and sack one of these sensible managers when they have a poor run. Portsmouth could go through a dawn out selling phase which might make things difficult for them.

The top half is of the highest standard since the Premiership began.

Yes I think you're right there Joey. Rovers are really going to struggle to compete with that selection.

In a way though, I am rather glad to see it, because if Rovers can't hope to break up the party at the "top 4" table, it would be nice to see one or more of those teams getting in amongst the "aristocracy of the EPL" and giving them something to really worry about.

Yes I think you're right there Joey. Rovers are really going to struggle to compete with that selection.

In a way though, I am rather glad to see it, because if Rovers can't hope to break up the party at the "top 4" table, it would be nice to see one or more of those teams getting in amongst the "aristocracy of the EPL" and giving them something to really worry about.

I would like to see both Villa and Everton challenge if we can't. I like their managers, they have built good sides shrewdly and without fanfare. Its a shame that the Chapions League money distorts things so much as otherwise we could look at eight or nine clubs slugging it out at the top for those places. As it is you have to hope for the kind of bizarre antics going on at Liverpool to give you a look in.

Archived