BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Should The New Manager Be?

neekoy

New Manager  

506 members have voted

1. 1. From the following who would you prefer?

• Sam Allardyce
    • Graeme Souness
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Roy Keane
    • Owen Coyle
    • David Jones
    • Roberto Mancini
    • Avram Grant

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Breaking news on SSN - Souness rules himself out

Good. Going back is never the same.

Must admit I'm surprised by the backing of Sam on the poll. But the pickings are (not refering to the poll) slim it would seem, again.

Brown gets my vote if we're limiting ourselves to Britain, if compo is an issue (3 years left) then I am flabbergasted. the most important position in a club is the manager we would not restrict ourselves with players by only signing frees, we should apply the same logic to our more important search.

I honestly think I'd rather have 0 budget but a top rate manager.

I still don't really see why so many people on here did not want Allardyce as manager in the summer but now all of a sudden he's the man for the job. I don't know why this massive change of heart and why people suddenly seem to think so highly of him.

What has he ever really done in his managerial career that makes him so special and the right man for us?

I completley agree with those of you who think it's ridiculous that some fans are suggesting they wouldn't watch the club if he was in charge but I certainly wouldn't be happy about him coming in.

Why is it Holt refers to the lack of black etc in football yet someone mentions a manager is white and you shout racist, don't you think we should be discussing football matters here and colour should not matter it should be who is the best for the job.

What planet are you on? Saying the manager has to be white can't be described as anything but a racist statement.

I still don't really see why so many people on here did not want Allardyce as manager in the summer but now all of a sudden he's the man for the job. I don't know why this massive change of heart and why people suddenly seem to think so highly of him.

Err....perhaps it's something to do with the atrocious situation we find ourselves in now??!! I readily admit that I backed the appointment of Ince thinking that he had the potential to take the club forward, at the same time as not wanting Sam to come. But the situation we find ourselves in now is far from where we were at in the summer, when Big Sam's appointment equalled dour long ball football. If that's the brand of football that it takes to keep us in the league then I'll take it thank you. The alternative of falling out of the league doesn't bear thinking about.

I am leaning towards Allardyce because he did well with Bolton, who have similar finances, fan base and surroundings to us. He not only kept them in the premiership (someone mentioned looking forward to 11th) or in the bottom half of the table, but he got them into Europe. He attracted players to an unattractive club, like Anelka. I don't want to play the ugly football card because I can honestly say I haven't seen enough of Bolton to say whether they warrent this title. His teams are hard to beat, and that is what we need most at this time. Erm, I think that is it for my pro Allardyce reasons.

As for why this has changed since the summer for some fans, well I think it's probably because we were 7th then and looking to build, now we are looking to survive. Some people think the time to get a Ten Cate type person was in summer.

I think that sums up the general feeling.

Edit: Also pro Allardyce for me is his coaching technique. Apparently it is more up to date than the likes of Souness (and it looks like Ince). The players actually enjoyed training under Hughes and had respect for him. I think the same would happen under Allardyce.

No, you are, you just don't realise it. You are of the opinion that a European manager is unsuited to this job because they won't be accustomed to the surroundings and will be out of place. You are painting a stereotype of European footballers and coaches being softies who take longer on their hair than they do in training. The reality is that the vast majority of European clubs are in towns or cities somewhat similar to Blackburn, have worse facilities, less money and fewer supporters. They train in what is often terrible conditions and also face the threat of relegation. European managers are quite used to the same challenges that Blackburn are up against now, it is just you don't pay enough attention to football abroad and probably, although I'm quite happy to apologise if I am wrong on this, generally only see continental sides when you watch the UEFA Cup or Champions League (which if you watch enough of you will actually get a glimpse at the very issues I am touching on).

Mancini is experienced, qualified and well-connected and has shown that he can manage on a budget and if he were English he would be first choice. I seem to recall posting similar remarks about Ten Cate in the summer. We now see Ten Cate winning a Champions League group with a team that certainly isn't a European giant, where as our good ol' Englishman is picking up the rest of his cheques whilst he sits on his arse at home.

I drive underneath The Amsterdam Arena at least twice a week, but have only been to a couple of games to watch Ajax, it's just not my cup of tea! :rover:

Well at least they did not keep us guessing for to long.

He will be offered it today but may well turn it down. Nicko said as much. Which would leave us under the Mucky Bridge without an Aqueduct pint. Allardyce has played a blinder. He will want big wages and a war chest. Up to Uncle Trustee now. If the cupboard is bare he may well pass on a doomed situation.

What planet are you on? Saying the manager has to be white can't be described as anything but a racist statement.

Eh I did not see any were or anyone say a manager had to be white, but I did see a lot of media references to why it would be good to have a black premiership manager, and I will just check outside which planet I'm on and I suggest you do the same!

We would never pay the wages that Anelka was on at Bolton

How do you know what he was on at Bolton? I dare say Roque/Bellamy aren't on much less, if it is less at all.

Sam is the (for the want of a better word...) outstanding candidate of people we could realistically get. If it is him I'll be very happy.

He will be offered it today but may well turn it down. Nicko said as much. Which would leave us under the Mucky Bridge without an Aqueduct pint. Allardyce has played a blinder. He will want big wages and a war chest. Up to Uncle Trustee now. If the cupboard is bare he may well pass on a doomed situation.

Apologies if I've missed it but where did Nicko say Sam would be offered the job today?

Archived