BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

OK, I'll get going. Pace- he's got none, most pro players would be faster running backwards. I'm 62 but I can still shift over 20 yards ( and that's the distance that matters ), I'd give him a race now. Can't beat an opponent , mainly because he lacks determination. I've known other slow players who could still beat a man because they were determined to muscle up to get that half a yard in front of their opponent. Heading ability, he's a tall guy with a good spring but he can't direct the ball onto the target. How many headed goals has he scored for Rovers ? I bet Emmo's got more and he can't head a ball either.

What really bugs me about the guy is his easy-osy , laise fair, couldn't care less attitude. he gives the ball away like it doesn't really matter, "somebody will get it back soon so why bother". I can't remember the last / first time he put a real tackle in on any opponent. Memo to new comers- running alongside your opponent whilst giving him a dirty look does not constitute a tackle.

I'm sorry but he's not a guy I'd want to be alongside in the trenches, hand on heart would you ? If that's the case would you want him in the team on Saturday because believe you me that will not be a game for the fainthearted.

Re. your 20 good points, if you can name 5 you'll be doing well.

Ok pace isn't one of his strengths but try and keep it sensible, he's at least as fast as the likes of Emerton and EH Diouf and faster than Dunn, N'Zonzi, Benjani and Andrews. How many times do opposition players sprint past him from a level starting point? Again strength isn't a facet either but players who aren't quick don't genuinely beat opponents anyway, they just make enough room for a cross/shot, which Pedersen has no problem doing. He's very good in the air and the only reason he doesn't score more headed goals is because he takes all our set pieces and isn't a striker. I'd bet you any money Emerton hasn't got more considering Peds has scored almost 3 times as many goals for Rovers over a shorter period.

"What really bugs me about the guy is his easy-osy , laise fair, couldn't care less attitude."

Well that sums it up for me and is what I always suspected was the main cause of most of the grief he gets. Not every player snarls at opponents with steam coming out of their ears. Pedersen is a guy who continually looks a bit short on confidence, is almost too nice to be a footballer and probably smiles a bit too much. Fans interpreting that as a lack of effort is rubbish. He's been backed up with the opta stats numerous times to prove he puts a shift in but because he's a attacking, creative player who doesn't intimidate opponents thats a reason to get on his back? Did Steve McMannaman, Chris Waddle, Damien Duff, Scott Sellars etc. ever get stuck in or look like men for the trenches?

Good points about him: Always top of our assists, always near the top of our scorers, statistically proven work-rate (fact, rather than fan-based opinion), good crosser, good finisher, good technique, great free kick taker, good in the air, good passer (phenomenal ball to set up Kalinic away at West Brom, ignored as usual), does his defensive work well (in terms of marking/covering more than tackling), loyal to the club, was absolutely awesome for the first 2-3 years, great long-throw (know the purists seem to hate that but every club uses them so good to have someone who can actually do it), completely 2-footed, mental resilience in putting up with the disgraceful abuse fans at the ground throw at him.

The thing that bothers me the most about his critics is they seem to use how long he's been here against him. Who are the most popular players at Rovers? Ones that haven't been here long and will no doubt take off at the first decent opportunity. The ones that stick around and show some loyalty are taken for granted by fans who seem to have a policy of adding up any failings over the years into a grand total. Pedersen/Emerton/Dunn/Nelsen, all have more than their fair share of critics, and these are the only players in our squad whose loyalty has proven a genuine affection for Rovers. A little positive bias in the treatment of them by supporters would be nice.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His biggest problem is lack of self belief. He does have some great abilities, mainly his striking of a ball. As a winger, he can beat a man, and can get a cross in too. He can also thump free kicks in the top corner, and land corners in the keepers danger area.

But his lack of self belief, his self confidence, means he doesn't commit fully to his work-maybe from fear of getting it wrong and the subsequent dogs abuse from the crowd-and things end up half hearted.

Good Premier league player at his best, but his mental approach is holding him back.

Ok pace isn't one of his strengths but try and keep it sensible, he's at least as fast as the likes of Emerton and EH Diouf and faster than Dunn, N'Zonzi, Benjani and Andrews. How many times do opposition players sprint past him from a level starting point? Again strength isn't a facet either but players who aren't quick don't genuinely beat opponents anyway, they just make enough room for a cross/shot, which Pedersen has no problem doing. He's very good in the air and the only reason he doesn't score more headed goals is because he takes all our set pieces and isn't a striker. I'd bet you any money Emerton hasn't got more considering Peds has scored almost 3 times as many goals for Rovers over a shorter period.

"What really bugs me about the guy is his easy-osy , laise fair, couldn't care less attitude."

Well that sums it up for me and is what I always suspected was the main cause of most of the grief he gets. Not every player snarls at opponents with steam coming out of their ears. Pedersen is a guy who continually looks a bit short on confidence, is almost too nice to be a footballer and probably smiles a bit too much. Fans interpreting that as a lack of effort is rubbish. He's been backed up with the opta stats numerous times to prove he puts a shift in but because he's a attacking, creative player who doesn't intimidate opponents thats a reason to get on his back? Did Steve McMannaman, Chris Waddle, Damien Duff, Scott Sellars etc. ever get stuck in or look like men for the trenches?

Good points about him: Always top of our assists, always near the top of our scorers, statistically proven work-rate (fact, rather than fan-based opinion), good crosser, good finisher, good technique, great free kick taker, good in the air, good passer (phenomenal ball to set up Kalinic away at West Brom, ignored as usual), does his defensive work well (in terms of marking/covering more than tackling), loyal to the club, was absolutely awesome for the first 2-3 years, great long-throw (know the purists seem to hate that but every club uses them so good to have someone who can actually do it), completely 2-footed, mental resilience in putting up with the disgraceful abuse fans at the ground throw at him.

The thing that bothers me the most about his critics is they seem to use how long he's been here against him. Who are the most popular players at Rovers? Ones that haven't been here long and will no doubt take off at the first decent opportunity. The ones that stick around and show some loyalty are taken for granted by fans who seem to have a policy of adding up any failings over the years into a grand total. Pedersen/Emerton/Dunn/Nelsen, all have more than their fair share of critics, and these are the only players in our squad whose loyalty has proven a genuine affection for Rovers. A little positive bias in the treatment of them by supporters would be nice.

For his good points you've written: 'good crosser, good finisher, good technique, great free kick taker, good in the air and was absolutely awesome for the first 2-3 years'. I'd contest all of those points and the issue about him being awesome for his first 2/3 years is irrelevant.

Pedersen has a use but he has to be on top form to be effective. Under Allardyce he took all our set pieces so he obviously had a decent assist record but in open play he doesn't offer any more than Emerton/Jones/Nzonzi defensively or Hoilett/Olsson going forward. Is he past it? Well he's not too old and we know what he can do, but we're now talking 5 years since he last had a really decent season for us.

You point to his loyalty. Considering he's not performed in the last 4/5 years I can't believe that there are many buyers in the top flight for him. The likes of Bentley/Bellamy/Roque etc all had big clubs to lure them away, Pedersen hasn't had that for a long long time so to stay at Rovers is probably not a hard decision.

I dont blame Kean for not playing him. Likewise Kalinic. In fact id say that Kean's selections have, on the whole, made far more sense then Allardyce's teams. What we lack is a goalscorer. Kalinic is clearly not the answer and it seems like his ability has risen in many people's eyes simply because he isn't playing. Id chose an out of form Roque over Kalinic.

I dont blame Kean for not playing him. Likewise Kalinic. In fact id say that Kean's selections have, on the whole, made far more sense then Allardyce's teams. What we lack is a goalscorer. Kalinic is clearly not the answer and it seems like his ability has risen in many people's eyes simply because he isn't playing. Id chose an out of form Roque over Kalinic.

I couldn't agree more magicalmortensleftpeg.

Are you his agent? I hope so because after that reccomendation there'll be loads of top clubs scrambling to sign this world beater we appear to have in our ranks. What do you reckon will lure him away from us, £ 10-15 million ? Presumably you'll be desperate for him to play on Saturday then.

Are you his agent? I hope so because after that reccomendation there'll be loads of top clubs scrambling to sign this world beater we appear to have in our ranks. What do you reckon will lure him away from us, £ 10-15 million ? Presumably you'll be desperate for him to play on Saturday then.

I actually though Pedersen had rediscovered decent form this season, profiting particularly from playing in the 3 man midfield of our 4-5-1 (a formation which suits is far better than 4-4-2) He had scored some vital goals e.g. Villa, Wigan, Newcastle. And as was mentioned above, supplied a wonderful pass for Kalinic for his first goal against WBA.

With regard to work rate, he certainly works up and down the field (as stats suggest), but at times I become frustrated with a lack of fire in his belly, perhaps would like to see him really thump into a few challenged from time to time. Even so, I still think he's a decent PL footballer.

Well went a bit (or a lot!) over the top there cause I get so wound up by the stick he gets off other fans but I just see him as an experienced player with good technical ability who knows his job and who's contribution is down there in black and white, as it is every season: 1st in assists (double the number of 2nd) and 4th in scorers (joint 2nd in league games).

No I don't think he's worth that much, he's probably worth about £4-5m. Although thats more than most of our side, and I'm sure he'd get more interest than most of our side as well considering managers know he creates/scores goals and could do even better with a fresh start (and supportive supporters).

On saturday I'd only start him above Emerton, so if Hoilett's back then no, however he would be my first sub to come on if any of the midfield needed changing. Admittedly he hasn't been as good in the 2nd half of this season as he was in the 1st. But over the whole season he's still been better than N'Zonzi, Emerton and Dunn and yet gets 10 times as much stick as them. I don't think he's gods gift, I mainly defend him because I hate seeing loyal players used as punching bags by frustrated fans for poor team performances.

Well went a bit (or a lot!) over the top there cause I get so wound up by the stick he gets off other fans but I just see him as an experienced player with good technical ability who knows his job and who's contribution is down there in black and white, as it is every season: 1st in assists (double the number of 2nd) and 4th in scorers (joint 2nd in league games).

No I don't think he's worth that much, he's probably worth about £4-5m. Although thats more than most of our side, and I'm sure he'd get more interest than most of our side as well considering managers know he creates/scores goals and could do even better with a fresh start (and supportive supporters).

On saturday I'd only start him above Emerton, so if Hoilett's back then no, however he would be my first sub to come on if any of the midfield needed changing. Admittedly he hasn't been as good in the 2nd half of this season as he was in the 1st. But over the whole season he's still been better than N'Zonzi, Emerton and Dunn and yet gets 10 times as much stick as them. I don't think he's gods gift, I mainly defend him because I hate seeing loyal players used as punching bags by frustrated fans for poor team performances.

I don't see how you can say he's had a better season than N'zonzi, the guy's hardly played until this month. As for loyal players, that's a not how things work now-a-days unfortunately. Loyal to what ? They're loyal to themselves and that's about it.He's been at Ewood a long time because the pennie's dropped in the rest of the Premier League.

To get back to Pedersen abilities the guys just throwing away what talent he's got. I agree he's got two great feet, strikes the ball well, and sees a pass earlier than most,he can also get around the pitch albeit slowly. There was a time when I thought he could make it in centre midfield. Trouble is his dopey/dozy attitude prevents him from imposing himself on the game. You've got to demand the ball, put a foot in, get in peoples faces etc. If you want to score goals and you've got two good feet - get in the bloody box. 99 times out of 100 the ball won't fall your way but the one time it does- bang. He can't do any of those things so in my opinion he'll always be a nearly man and I'd prefer him to be a nearly man sonewhere other than Ewood Park. I don't like knocking players in Blue and white halves but sincerely this guy's had his chance and he's not taken it.

If Pedersen was really that good, there would have been a mad rush from clubs, in and around us, to sign him last summer. Someone like Tottenham could have taken a stab at him as a squad player. The fact is that Pedersen has been found out, and Rovers were the club offering him the best money & playing level. Why does he get so much stick? Because he's technically a good player, but there's something missing. Ryan Giggs has lost more than a yard of pace over the years, but he's adapted to the modern game and still has that hunger to complement his class. Pedersen just seems to decide when and where he can be assed to put in a half-decent performance.

If Pedersen was really that good, there would have been a mad rush from clubs, in and around us, to sign him last summer. Someone like Tottenham could have taken a stab at him as a squad player. The fact is that Pedersen has been found out, and Rovers were the club offering him the best money & playing level. Why does he get so much stick? Because he's technically a good player, but there's something missing. Ryan Giggs has lost more than a yard of pace over the years, but he's adapted to the modern game and still has that hunger to complement his class. Pedersen just seems to decide when and where he can be assed to put in a half-decent performance.

What's missing is what should be beating under the badge. As Bill Shankly once said about another player who shall remain nameless - " He's got a heart as big as a carraway seed ".

i would imagine that he had offers from other Prem clubs, i would find it hard to believe that no other clubs were trying to sign him at the time.

I don't think there is anything missing, people are just looking for something that isn't there. He has quite a "lazy" playing style, so people look at him and think he isn't bothered, or not putting in the effort.

Ironically he didn't help himself when he exploded onot the scene by scoring a load of worldies, he raised the fans expectation levels of him and now people moan that he isn't very good because he isn't replicating that form anymore. He did have a drop in form which lasted a good season or so but i think Peds is a decent player and fan's shouldn't be too harsh on him all the time.

As the stats prove Pederson on the most part is affective.

He chips in with a fair amount of assists as he should as he takes all free kicks, Corners and throws and normally gets a reasonable amount of goals.

I think the biggest reason he get people backs up is when he losing postion makes a mistake rather than busting his ass to get the ball back he slowly makes he way back.

If he chased the ball back when he made mistakes I think he would get the fans that are on his back, back on his side

I thought MGP had a good game yesterday - put in some very good challenges, his distribution was mostly good and his set pieces are often an asset.

Something I learned over the weekend from my guy at the club, going back to the Blackpool game:

There was a piece of play late on where Nelsen had the ball and was waiting for MGP to make a forward run onto the wings, but MGP stayed in his position in the centre of the pitch whilst Nelse got quite irrate.

Personally, I gave MGP some grief for this, as did quite a few people but on coming onto the pitch, MGP was given specific instructons by Kean to stay around the centre circle, make challenges and play long-balls over the top to the forwards - without getting forward himself.

So, from what looked like he was being lazy, he was actually showing discipline and following instruction.

I thought MGP had a good game yesterday - put in some very good challenges, his distribution was mostly good and his set pieces are often an asset.

Something I learned over the weekend from my guy at the club, going back to the Blackpool game:

There was a piece of play late on where Nelsen had the ball and was waiting for MGP to make a forward run onto the wings, but MGP stayed in his position in the centre of the pitch whilst Nelse got quite irrate.

Personally, I gave MGP some grief for this, as did quite a few people but on coming onto the pitch, MGP was given specific instructons by Kean to stay around the centre circle, make challenges and play long-balls over the top to the forwards - without getting forward himself.

So, from what looked like he was being lazy, he was actually showing discipline and following instruction.

" Make Challenges " ? Pedersen ? Mm. He used up a seasons worth yesterday.

Long overdue for Peds to hit a screamer into the top corner. His shooting of late has been worse than woeful. A goal (of any description) against MU or Wolves would do nicely and restore memories of 5 or 6 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I know words are cheap but this was rousing from MGP

Match of the season starts in a few hours, or rather, the most important game of our career starts in a few hours. I can feel it in my entire body how much this game means, and anything else than pulling this through is completely out of the question. The eleven who are so lucky that they get the honor to represent the proud blue and white shirt with the beautiful red rose will fight as if it was about life. For that is what it is all about, the life of the club in our hearts! Blackburn Rovers are not lucky because they have good players on the team, good players are lucky because they play at Blackburn Rovers. Now it’s game time, COYB!

Followed by

What an incredible feeling! Congratulations to everybody, this was for all you fans out there and you deserve it so much! I would like to say thank you to everybody for this season, it got a bit difficult towards the end, but we pulled it through in the end, so it’s all good. Now it’s a well deserved holliday.

And some great pics here

http://gamst.co.uk/

Archived