BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedersen came on and looked tidy on the ball today. He's a good (if hugely expensive) option to have on the bench to change things up if needed. Also his lack of pace isn't as glaringly obvious when he's put on against tired legs.

Aye, he delivers them into the keepers hands just as well as Pedersen ;)

Seriously though I'd be ok for Rochina to take them, but he didn't seem too keen against City.

I think that was a seniority issue. From what I've seen Rochina takes a good set piece. Against City more senior players in the side felt they were a better option - like Olsson, who forced a low save from Hart late on with a free kick.

I don't know why people have it in their heads that Pedersen brings oh-so-much to our side, when compared to someone like Emerton.

10/11 PL stats:

Pedersen

GAMES: 32

GOALS: 4

ASSISTS: 6

SHOTS: 36

Emerton

GAMES: 27

GOALS: 2

ASSISTS: 4

SHOTS: 35

When you consider that Peds has played more games, and when he does play he takes all the free-kicks/corners/long-throws, he's evidently not head and shoulders above Emerton (who's been badly targeted on this forum of late).

I don't know why people have it in their heads that Pedersen brings oh-so-much to our side, when compared to someone like Emerton.

10/11 PL stats:

Pedersen

GAMES: 32

GOALS: 4

ASSISTS: 6

SHOTS: 36

Emerton

GAMES: 27

GOALS: 2

ASSISTS: 4

SHOTS: 35

When you consider that Peds has played more games, and when he does play he takes all the free-kicks/corners/long-throws, he's evidently not head and shoulders above Emerton (who's been badly targeted on this forum of late).

Thoose stats can be a bit misleading though. Assist is used in the sense of who touched the ball last, a good corner or free-kick might have been flicked on and therefore the set-pieces taker doesn't get an assist. For me Pedersen is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club in terms of set-pieces delivery (well apart from Robbo, he takes a pretty mean free-kick) and crossing, problem is he has the tendency to go missing in open play far too often. It was no coincidence that when he came on we looked more dangerous, his long-throw lead to the chance that Mame Diouf should have scored with.Our main source of goals is set-pieces and when Pedersen doesn't play we are notably less dangerous from these situations.

Always been a fan of Emerton but since his serious knee injury he's lost the yard of pace that could once take him past players. He obviously always work really hard but he's very been the most creative player in my opinion.

Thoose stats can be a bit misleading though. Assist is used in the sense of who touched the ball last, a good corner or free-kick might have been flicked on and therefore the set-pieces taker doesn't get an assist. For me Pedersen is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club in terms of set-pieces delivery (well apart from Robbo, he takes a pretty mean free-kick) and crossing, problem is he has the tendency to go missing in open play far too often. It was no coincidence that when he came on we looked more dangerous, his long-throw lead to the chance that Mame Diouf should have scored with.Our main source of goals is set-pieces and when Pedersen doesn't play we are notably less dangerous from these situations.

Always been a fan of Emerton but since his serious knee injury he's lost the yard of pace that could once take him past players. He obviously always work really hard but he's very been the most creative player in my opinion.

And he can actually head the ball which Emerton can't.

And he can actually head the ball which Emerton can't.

Trouble is he can't direct it when he gets up for a header. I can only think of one real header he's scored with. I can also think of one vital header he missed that I could have put away never mind a pro footballer.

He frustrates me TBH. He's obviously a decent player, but can be a right lazy bugger!

prozone continually showed that he covered more ground than any other player. Fans called him lazy then as well.

Trouble is he can't direct it when he gets up for a header. I can only think of one real header he's scored with. I can also think of one vital header he missed that I could have put away never mind a pro footballer.

Wasn't thinking about scoring from headers as much as getting to them in midfield. Emerton never wins a header. Pedersen can at least jump and get his head on things.

Average points in matches MGP has played (26 starts + 6 subs) is 1.16 (37p total)

Emerton (21 starts + 6 subs) is 0.93 (25p total)

Olsson probably worst (22 starts + 4 subs) with 0.80 (21p total)

Givet probably best (26 starts) with 1.19 (31p total)

Season average (38 points on 35 matches) is 1,09

Stats from premierleague.co.uk

Doesn't proof anything, but fun to play with numbers...

prozone continually showed that he covered more ground than any other player. Fans called him lazy then as well.

Maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago Den, I think if you took any of his performances since Xmas you'd find one of the lowest pass completion rates, and a pretty average work-rate. And prozone doesn't show all the tackles he's pulled out of, forward runs he couldn't be bothered/didn't have the nous to spot, or times he failed to track players back.

Maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago Den, I think if you took any of his performances since Xmas you'd find one of the lowest pass completion rates, and a pretty average work-rate. And prozone doesn't show all the tackles he's pulled out of, forward runs he couldn't be bothered/didn't have the nous to spot, or times he failed to track players back.

Hi pass % completeion would regularly be between 10 and 20 % points lower than his teammates - Robbo screamed at him game after game for a reason

Average points in matches MGP has played (26 starts + 6 subs) is 1.16 (37p total)

Doesn't proof anything, but fun to play with numbers...

Proves that every point we've gained this season except 1 has involved Pedersen being on the pitch at some point.

I don't think he pulls out of tackles, he just doesn't dive into them and stays on his feet. The way the game is reffed these days thats a good thing, fans would be having a go at him even more if he was getting booked/sent-off every match. As for the stats on his work-rate, I assume you're plucking this guess that its dropped out of thin air? He ran past Salgado 3 times to stop Petrov getting crosses in on saturday, none of which of course I heard a single fan in the stands praise or even acknowledge.

Seems to me anything good he does is ignored and anything bad is exaggerated as much as possible. Presumably its easier and takes less effort for fans to stick to their pre-conceived views on a player than judge him game to game.

http://www.tv2sporten.no/fotball/england/premierleague/gamst-aapner-for-klubbskifte-i-sommer-3483240.html

Morten Gamst Pedersen in a norwegian interview, where he say that he will consider leaving the club in the summer if he does not get more playing time.

Just a tabloid heading, if you ask me. All he says is

- I've got no explanation, really. The first time I was on the bench the manager told me it was because of his rotation system (on why he's only been a sub the last games)

- We'll se what happens. I want to contribute, that's why you're in this business.

- Of course you're disappointed when you're not in the starting eleven, it's natural. But it only makes me train harder.

Who would buy him? Seriously?

He was on a free last summer and only Celtic and Olympiakos showed an interest.

No one's gonna want him now, especially if he doesn't take a pay cut.

• Backroom

Who would buy him? Seriously?

He was on a free last summer and only Celtic and Olympiakos showed an interest.

No one's gonna want him now, especially if he doesn't take a pay cut.

Exactly. He's been found out, nobody incorrectly perceives him to be our star man anymore. I think even opposition fans have come to realise he's limited in his effectiveness.

Can't imagine who we'd sell him to, especially as Topman said nobody even really made a massive effort to get him in on a free. Think he's here for the long haul.

• Backroom

I never understand why people only begrudge MGP for being overpaid, they all are. I bet Dunn is on similar and he's been far less effective this season.

Archived