BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Revamped Riverside Stand ?

I thought that Blackburn had a policy of returning the favour when charging away teams i.e. if Arsenal charge Blackburn fans a high price for the game at Emirates Blackburn Rovers charge Arsenal fans a high price, if a team charges us a low price we return the favour.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Blackburn had a policy of returning the favour when charging away teams i.e. if Arsenal charge Blackburn fans a high price for the game at Emirates Blackburn Rovers charge Arsenal fans a high price, if a team charges us a low price we return the favour.

No, Rovers charge the highest price for games where they think more away fans will come (eg United, Liverpool).

The only deal they have with another club is Bolton, both clubs charge £15.00 for away fans and it has seen an increase in numbers travelling to the Breezeblock. Not many of them came to Ewood last year though.

I noticed whilst driving through Ewood on Sunday that a couple of the knackered flags had been replaced with glossy new ones.

Well done to all concerned, looks much better or will do when they’ve all been done.

It's not as organised as that. In truth one of the side effects of the season ticket price reduction and the opening up of the Darwen end to home fans was an ability to increase prices for away fans without affecting home ticket sales. Lots more people bought the cheap season tickets and those that don't can choose to buy cheaper tickets in other parts of the ground. Rovers have to charge home fans the same as away fans in the same areas, but as the Blackburn End is close to full that doesn't matter. Foe example whilst the price for away fans and the Blackburn end was £35 it was £28 in the Riverside and £33 in the Jack Walker wings. This was a response to other clubs overcharging our fans at away games but also a way of mitigating the losses produced by lowering season ticket prices.

In truth ticket prices for games at the Emirates have been more reasonable - they were £28 last year or the year before. This year they are charging Bolton fans £33 so I presume they will for us as well.

One thing that is wrong about us doing it the way we do is that when we charge £35 for the top clubs - we also charge top wack to sit in the family stand! Another reason why it should be moved to another area - make it more affordable for families!

My original point stands - why pick on us, when OTHER clubs are much more expensive! :blink:

:rover: well at utd you see a top 2 team every week,and before the glaziers bought them there was 10 year wait for season tickets,supply and demand it's called.we can't give tickets away :wacko::brfc:

:rover: well at utd you see a top 2 team every week,and before the glaziers bought them there was 10 year wait for season tickets,supply and demand it's called.we can't give tickets away :wacko::brfc:

Delete some messages from your inbox Waggy :tu:

Was looking for pics of the ground over the years, not that many on google but this is a decent one:

jb06851.jpg

Before my time! My first game was a 1-1 draw with Chelsea, the BE had a roof and the RS had been knocked down and replaced with lots of building materials and a big thermometer! Can anyone date this?

Sorry for digressing a bit!

Was looking for pics of the ground over the years, not that many on google but this is a decent one:

jb06851.jpg

Before my time! My first game was a 1-1 draw with Chelsea, the BE had a roof and the RS had been knocked down and replaced with lots of building materials and a big thermometer! Can anyone date this?

Sorry for digressing a bit!

Can't help other than to say it's pre 1958 when the floodlights were first erected.

Theno is right the 58 games against Bolton and Everton show the floodlights and the Everton game was a night match.

At 15.5 seconds in the newcastle game in 52 there is a split in the stands (what looks like two separate stands,(possible the old RS, so I assume it is between 52 and 58 as in the picture above looks like the RS has been redeveloped with a shiny new roof.

Scouring the news reels in the link may shed some more light on a date.

My link

The crowd surges in some of these films brings back some memories. Not to mention the numbers.

Theno is right the 58 games against Bolton and Everton show the floodlights and the Everton game was a night match.

At 15.5 seconds in the newcastle game in 52 there is a split in the stands (what looks like two separate stands,(possible the old RS, so I assume it is between 52 and 58 as in the picture above looks like the RS has been redeveloped with a shiny new roof.

My link

The crowd surges in some of these films brings back some memories. Not to mention the numbers.

That game isnt at Ewood

My link

That match is at Hillsborough.

Is it a steadfast rule that you cannot have standing in stadiums...I'd like to see the riverside changed to terracing, and the prices siginificently reduced for that area....like pioneering and all that with standing...it would look great again when we score like it used to back in the 80s

Is it a steadfast rule that you cannot have standing in stadiums...I'd like to see the riverside changed to terracing, and the prices siginificently reduced for that area....like pioneering and all that with standing...it would look great again when we score like it used to back in the 80s

In the PL & European competition it is.

Hamburg Sv, St. Pauli and Achen in Germany all have safe standing areas. I also noticed that just before the election the Lib Dems were calling for a review, to try and get it reintroduced.

Stranger things have happened. I mean, who would have thought that Wispa's would make a comeback?

I do believe that particular aerial picture of Ewood park was taken in the 1920's...the Riverside stand was built around 1913/1914 so was still relatively new.

Logical! I was just reading about the Riverside, completed in 1913.

Wonder who took the picture, not many private planes in those days for aerial photography.

Floodlights installed in 58 at a cost of £25k.

Also found a bit of old footage from 1904 of

Double Stout advertised on the single tier stand. Looks just like the current day RS :lol:

Also found a bit of old footage from 1904 of

Double Stout advertised on the single tier stand. Looks just like the current day RS :lol:

Great quality pictures of Accrington v Church cricket in 1902 - at the end of that video.

Wonderful archive - thanks for posting it.

It's mentioned in the video comments section but the action of Accrington's star bowler would not be allowed these days. He's a chucker !

The local cricket match was obviously a big social occasion and everyone looks smartly dressed and very clean, signs of a happy and prosperous community (note the factory working hard belching out smoke in the background) before the first world war when the Empire was at its zenith and the Lancashire mill towns were in full employment.

Then came 1914 - 18. I wonder how many of those in the footage survived ?

Archived