BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Memories

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The wonderful thing about Tugay is there isn't just one favourite moment. He is so outrageously gifted practically every game sees numerous vignettes which just make watching football a sheer pleasure- a feint perfectly executed, a pirouet surrunded by opponents, a glorious pass, simply slowing the game to walking pace- Tugay is so natural yet his joy in playing the game is so clear for all to see and creates an infectious buzz amongst the supporters. And of course his warm up routines were the best since Stuart Ripley used to terrorise the opposition going through his tricks running up and down the half way line.

For the best part of the decade during which we have seen other brilliant footballers at the top of their game for a season- Bellamy, Bentley, Roque and Benny all come to mind- Tugay has constantly shone like a beacon, marking Rovers out as a bit special amongst the also rans outside the Big 4. Alongside Brad, he is the iconic footballer of the noughties for Rovers- a period which is now our longest continual sojourn in the top flight since the start of league football.

My favourite Tugay moment was something and nothing. Way back we had an away cup tie at the New Den against Millwall won by Andrew Cole heading in a herculean cross from Alan Mahon in the 81st minute- that long ago! It was a thoroughly non-descript game except for the little master quietly weaving his magic doing nothing in particular in midfield apart from picking a pass here, evading a tackle with a shimmy there and just keeping the ball moving like a Premier League club should. I had my step son with me and before long that dedicated Evertonian was raving about Tugay.

At the end of the game, all the players came to acknowledge the thousand or so Rovers supporters in the away end and Tugay of course walked over- the others jogged leaving just Tugay taking the biggest cheer of the afternoon on his own as the rest headed for the dressing room.

"He's just so cool", was my step son's reaction and that will always be my abiding memory and impression of Tugay.

What excellent judgement the young man must have - you can tell he's not blood related ;)

Only kidding Phil, thanks for that :)

True legend - Emotional day ahead on sunday.

Hope its a nice day to add to the atmosphere and to give Tugs a good send off. Really hope he comes back in the future - maybe as reserve team manager or something would be good.

I'm wanting to have 'Tugay 5' printed on my shirt, but the club shop won't do it because i bought my shirt at JJB. Trust rovers to bloody spoil it!! Nonetheless, i shall have a fez and turkey flag at the West Brom game.

LEGEND!!!

Ask the shop to print a disclaimer then agree to sign both copies, I'd have thought that would cover it.

Just seen a Tugay tee shirt printed for £9.95 in the town centre.

Anyone know what the weather forcast is for Sunday ?

They look pretty tacky.

Anyone bought one yet?

I remember a few years back a member of this board was selling a seemingly higher quality version

I bought one off Ebay. It hasn't arrived yet but he does have good feedback although there is a suspicious amount of:

"Hope the lettering doesn't come off in the first wash"

style comments..

I only paid £9 for mine though. Not too bad considering some have been going for £17 / £18 in the past few days

What a player! True legend for Rovers!

Unfortunately, I have never actually seen Tugay score - and lets be honest, he hasn't scored many! Hopefully he will say goodbye with a goal and I'm seeing the West Brom game too!

I have met Tugay twice - on my mascot day in 2004 and at Bolton earlier this season. He's a true legend and will never be forgotten by Rovers.

The wonderful thing about Tugay is there isn't just one favourite moment.

For the best part of the decade during which we have seen other brilliant footballers at the top of their game for a season- Bellamy, Bentley, Roque and Benny all come to mind- Tugay has constantly shone like a beacon, marking Rovers out as a bit special amongst the also rans outside the Big 4. Alongside Brad, he is the iconic footballer of the noughties for Rovers- a period which is now our longest continual sojourn in the top flight since the start of league football.

I was thinking the same about Tugay when I was contemplating his achievements; it has been so exciting to have such a talented player in our team.

I think next season will be our longest stretch in th top division since we were first relegated from the top division in approx 1935.

My fav Tugay moment has to be 1st game of season 07/08 (<----correct me if im wrong) when him and peds both scored amazing goals

I think you mean the rovers - fulham game at ewood in the 2005-06 season. It was the first home game of the season and we eventually won the game 2-1. They were stunning goals - both of them!

I think you mean the rovers - fulham game at ewood in the 2005-06 season. It was the first home game of the season and we eventually won the game 2-1. They were stunning goals - both of them!

Thats the one I was living away at the time (and didn't drive) so didn't get to see many games for a few seasons i went to that one tho and was glad I did.

Three main Tugay memories for me.

1. Up for a rare Ewood trip 4 or 5 years ago went to the club shop to buy some stuff after the game. In comes Tugay with another Turkish bloke and a young lad. Tugay grabs a load of merchandise and pays for it before handing it to the kid. Can't see John Terry doing that.

2. Up again for the Man City FA Cup game a few years ago and sat in one of the hospitality lounges 15 minutes before the game when in comes Tugay in his full match kit in his socks, he wanders up to the bar asks for a galss of milk then wanders off again. He was less like a professional athlete preparing for a game than a bloke wandering around his living room in his pants. No player has ever been more at home.

3. The outrageous 40 yard, outisde of his boot pass for Andy Cole to score in the epic 4-3 Fulham game.

I've heard Robbie Savage say more than once in recent weeks that Tugay was the best player he ever played with. At a time when his old welsh team-mate Ryan Giggs is getting wall to wall coverage for his legendary status, that's worth bearing in mind.

2. Up again for the Man City FA Cup game a few years ago and sat in one of the hospitality lounges 15 minutes before the game when in comes Tugay in his full match kit in his socks, he wanders up to the bar asks for a galss of milk then wanders off again. He was less like a professional athlete preparing for a game than a bloke wandering around his living room in his pants. No player has ever been more at home.

:lol: :lol:

Thats fantastic. Thanks for that DM :tu:

A favourite memory of mine was when Tugay decided to have a go at being goalkeeper (I have a feeling it was pre-season warm up at PNE). He managed to stop most of the shots in the casual way that only Tugay can, even stopping one with his backside!

A favourite memory of mine was when Tugay decided to have a go at being goalkeeper (I have a feeling it was pre-season warm up at PNE). He managed to stop most of the shots in the casual way that only Tugay can, even stopping one with his backside!

Good call Rovermum,I had forgotten that gem!

I doubt this deserves a seperate thread so here goes...

As philipl can tell you I'm one of a handful Rovers fans here in Malta who have no family or connection to Blackburn. I'm dying to get my hands on the Tugay T Shirt thats going to be on sale on the 23rd May.

Could anyone PM me about the possibility of buying it for me and sending it to Malta and I could send the money by paypal or something ??

Thanks

I doubt this deserves a seperate thread so here goes...

As philipl can tell you I'm one of a handful Rovers fans here in Malta who have no family or connection to Blackburn. I'm dying to get my hands on the Tugay T Shirt thats going to be on sale on the 23rd May.

Could anyone PM me about the possibility of buying it for me and sending it to Malta and I could send the money by paypal or something ??

Thanks

The rovers store have released limited edition tugay t shirts they will be on sale at the store this saturday, click the link http://www.onerovers.co.uk/

Can't add much to the memories above there have been so may but the decreasing circle goal celebration in the 2-0 over Arsenal was a hoot.

He has clearly played his socks off in the last few games in an effort to keep us up - there was a moment in the Portmouth game where he was apparently surrounded with just an outlet to Samba up front but instead of pinging it at pace, he rolled it slowly so the ball almost stopped in no mans land - Portsmouth's defenders weren't expecting i,t Samba came to collect in space without pressure - its that ability to see a pass before anyone else that makes him so special.

A sheer genius and a total pleasure to watch over the last 8 years he will be a very tough act to follow.

Archived