BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Memories

Love the walk off bit, Rog!

I remember 2 seasons ago, final match against Reading (when he almost got in a fight with Hunt during the walkoff). Ball just about to go out of bounds, he runs over, steps on it on the line to stop it, momentum taking him way out of bounds and then we go and score.

Thats my fave memory. Normally when a player stops it on the line, the oppo collect the ball. But not with our Toogs!!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was brought up on the Douglas / Clayton / Pickering / England / Newton Rovers teams so I'm pretty hard to please. There's a lot of dross on show in the modern era and we've had our share especially recently. This little fella has been up there with the best in my opinion, probably the greatest passer of a ball I've seen in my time at Ewood and we've had a few who could knock it around over the years . Plus the goals, all were tremendous efforts.

There were times during a dull game when watching his technique alone was worth the entrance money. Anybody remember his pass to Matt Jansen away at Ipswich in our first season back up ? A lovely floater over the top right into Matty's run, it had back spin on it so it just bounced and sat up perfectly for a volley. I thought then " We've got a good 'un here ". Thanks for the memories Tugs, you're a legend to me and to Rovers fans everywhere.

I was brought up on the Douglas / Clayton / Pickering / England / Newton Rovers teams so I'm pretty hard to please. There's a lot of dross on show in the modern era and we've had our share especially recently. This little fella has been up there with the best in my opinion, probably the greatest passer of a ball I've seen in my time at Ewood and we've had a few who could knock it around over the years . Plus the goals, all were tremendous efforts.

There were times during a dull game when watching his technique alone was worth the entrance money. Anybody remember his pass to Matt Jansen away at Ipswich in our first season back up ? A lovely floater over the top right into Matty's run, it had back spin on it so it just bounced and sat up perfectly for a volley. I thought then " We've got a good 'un here ". Thanks for the memories Tugs, you're a legend to me and to Rovers fans everywhere.

Exactly my sentiments Tyrone.

If ever a coach wanted to show the youngsters how the game should be played, there's no better example in British football. Everything a coach should be looking for, is there in Tugay - a footballing magician.

I just hope the Riversiders don't "Do One" before the end as usual....

And judging by previous seasons all other areas of the ground too <_<

We all know its been a shyte season but we are still in the top flight and have recovered well.

Tugays best moments?, well, there's been many but his volley from the corner kick against Fulham stands head and shoulder above the rest for me...technically brilliant!

He will always be a hero for his goal against Burnley alone.

Cant wait for the WBA game now.

If ever a coach wanted to show the youngsters how the game should be played, there's no better example in British football. Everything a coach should be looking for, is there in Tugay - a footballing magician.

Er- minus the 20 a day habit, please!!!

• Backroom

Fair point Jan, I've no idea how he still manages to run at all.

Wonder if any of the newer generation of players smoke

And judging by previous seasons all other areas of the ground too <_<

We all know its been a shyte season but we are still in the top flight and have recovered well.

Tugays best moments?, well, there's been many but his volley from the corner kick against Fulham stands head and shoulder above the rest for me...technically brilliant!

He will always be a hero for his goal against Burnley alone.

Cant wait for the WBA game now.

Remember that fulham game very well, there were only about 16,000 fans there and they witnessed two of the greatest goals anyone will ever see in a single game. The Pedersen volly was unreal and then for Tugay to go and do that was just awesome. I also remember a few years ago we beat liverpool one nil at home leading up to the goal Tugay embaressed Steven 'Stevie G' Gerrard with a sublime step over to play Pedersen in for the cross.

Tugay has been a player who rival fans have always enjoyed watching aswell, mates of mine always comment on how good he is, I am surprised he never played at a higher level in his pomp.

Legend.

Tugay has been fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I've had a super time watching him. I have many favourite moments, but here are just a few:

1) Goal at Southampton away. Battered it in.

2) Volley against Fulham

3) Volley against Spurs

4) Half volley against Reading

5) Thirty yarder in Europe a year or so ago - At Ewood may have been against Basle.

6) His performance away at Salzburg. I went to that game on a bus. I remember lots about that trip.

7) His celebrations after beating Sheff Wed in the second leg semi of Worthy Cup.

8) His Gerrard moment

9) His ball juggling in warm ups.

10) His blocking technique on free kicks. See Newcastle a few years ago. Brilliant.

I will miss him. He's my Turkish delight. Always will be.

I'm gutted I can't be there to see him off.

I'm wanting to have 'Tugay 5' printed on my shirt, but the club shop won't do it because i bought my shirt at JJB. Trust rovers to bloody spoil it!! Nonetheless, i shall have a fez and turkey flag at the West Brom game.

LEGEND!!!

I had slmost the reverse. Turkish international shirt via the internet, JJB won't do the printing. Thankfully in the same trading estate, dear old SportsWorld were more than happy to take my money. I guess Mr Ashley needs every penny pending relegation. :)

Has anyone seen them Tugay tshirts on ebay? I was hoping it was a Rovers fan selling them and not someone making a load of money off the back of our Legend! The person selling them is trying to get folk to wear them against WBA.

They look pretty tacky.

Anyone bought one yet?

I remember a few years back a member of this board was selling a seemingly higher quality version

Best moment for me was during a testimonial game (Garner?). The ball was passed to Tugay who bent forwards, as if to pick up the ball from the ground. As it was about to reach his hand, he swung the right foot and passed the ball to a Rovers player.

The best passer of the ball at Ewood, and without blowing my own trumpet, I said this after watching his first game, at home to Oldham I think.

One of the few Turkish players to be able to hack it outside his homeland, I feel priveleged to have seen him play in the blue and white shirt. A proper footballer, it's a pity we picked him up in his advanced years. Having said that, he never really let us down and always gave everything for the team.

A true legend if ever there was one.

Great to hear two guys (geddit?) who have seen so many great players still hold the maestro up there with the very very best.

It's just starting to sink in now that next Sunday is the last time I'll ever see him playing for Blackburn Rovers.

It took a few choice four-letter words in their direction, but the shop agreed to do the printing on my shirt!! HURRAH!!!

I can't believe I won't see Tugay play again after this. He's been at rovers ever since I first began to follow the game in 2001 (I'm 18 2moz, to give you an idea). I've met him many times and he's an incredibly genuinely nice guy. Rather than having to request a photo or autograph, he more or less OFFERS to sign stuff for you when he finds out you're a rovers fan.

I recall going to turkey on holiday and blackburn played ManUre (we won!! was when flitcroft scored i think). We went to watch the match in a bar. My dad shouted 'FFS souness, put tugay on!!' The burly barman came up to us, we feared for our safety but he said 'Tugay? My friends, come up to the bar!!' We got the best seat and had free drinks all nite (I had coke obviously ;) ).

A true legend. He's in my WORLD X1, CLASSIC X1 and all time rovers X1. The guy is pure class. I predict a guard of honour after the West Brom game. I predict tears and I predict a very hollow feeling afterwards. I just hope he opens a bar somewhere so I can meet him one last time. He's the model pro bar his smoking habits.

(Btw, in a convo with him a few months ago, he said he smoked 40 a day regularly!!!)

It took a few choice four-letter words in their direction, but the shop agreed to do the printing on my shirt!! HURRAH!!!

I can't believe I won't see Tugay play again after this. He's been at rovers ever since I first began to follow the game in 2001 (I'm 18 2moz, to give you an idea). I've met him many times and he's an incredibly genuinely nice guy. Rather than having to request a photo or autograph, he more or less OFFERS to sign stuff for you when he finds out you're a rovers fan.

I recall going to turkey on holiday and blackburn played ManUre (we won!! was when flitcroft scored i think). We went to watch the match in a bar. My dad shouted 'FFS souness, put tugay on!!' The burly barman came up to us, we feared for our safety but he said 'Tugay? My friends, come up to the bar!!' We got the best seat and had free drinks all nite (I had coke obviously ;) ).

A true legend. He's in my WORLD X1, CLASSIC X1 and all time rovers X1. The guy is pure class. I predict a guard of honour after the West Brom game. I predict tears and I predict a very hollow feeling afterwards. I just hope he opens a bar somewhere so I can meet him one last time. He's the model pro bar his smoking habits.

(Btw, in a convo with him a few months ago, he said he smoked 40 a day regularly!!!)

40 a day! just like Don, turn on a sixpence, Martin

:rover:

come on without, come on within, youv'e not seen nothing like Don Martin

we sang some good songs in those days :lol:

Its rarely mentioned except by Martin, but the away goal at St.Marys when Southampton were absolutely battering us and Tugay first half sent an absolute screamer into the top corner off one of the very few chances of the half .

Is it on youtube ?

The wonderful thing about Tugay is there isn't just one favourite moment. He is so outrageously gifted practically every game sees numerous vignettes which just make watching football a sheer pleasure- a feint perfectly executed, a pirouet surrunded by opponents, a glorious pass, simply slowing the game to walking pace- Tugay is so natural yet his joy in playing the game is so clear for all to see and creates an infectious buzz amongst the supporters. And of course his warm up routines were the best since Stuart Ripley used to terrorise the opposition going through his tricks running up and down the half way line.

For the best part of the decade during which we have seen other brilliant footballers at the top of their game for a season- Bellamy, Bentley, Roque and Benny all come to mind- Tugay has constantly shone like a beacon, marking Rovers out as a bit special amongst the also rans outside the Big 4. Alongside Brad, he is the iconic footballer of the noughties for Rovers- a period which is now our longest continual sojourn in the top flight since the start of league football.

My favourite Tugay moment was something and nothing. Way back we had an away cup tie at the New Den against Millwall won by Andrew Cole heading in a herculean cross from Alan Mahon in the 81st minute- that long ago! It was a thoroughly non-descript game except for the little master quietly weaving his magic doing nothing in particular in midfield apart from picking a pass here, evading a tackle with a shimmy there and just keeping the ball moving like a Premier League club should. I had my step son with me and before long that dedicated Evertonian was raving about Tugay.

At the end of the game, all the players came to acknowledge the thousand or so Rovers supporters in the away end and Tugay of course walked over- the others jogged leaving just Tugay taking the biggest cheer of the afternoon on his own as the rest headed for the dressing room.

"He's just so cool", was my step son's reaction and that will always be my abiding memory and impression of Tugay.

Archived