BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Guest benmaxwell
I would be very surprised if Gala are still interested in Kishi, did they not appoint Frank Rijkaard as there new manager at the weekend.

True. But teams still show interest in players they have been watching previously.

Besides, Givet hasn't signed on the dotted line yet, and Zurab did want talks with the boss, when Givet returns from his holiday and signs on the dotted line, i think we might see something happen.

As far as Olsson is concerned, i had heard that he is being caught rapidly in performances by the young lad Flynn... Still think he would go out on loan as apposed to perminant though.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting horrible flashbacks of Olsson lining up against Spurs last season. That was a massacre. Not saying the guy doesn't have potential, but he is nowhere near up to Premier League standard yet. Yet another example of Ince's ineptitude.

If we deploy Givet at left back next season in a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation then we don't require an attack minded fullback. I suspect this is what we'll see. A solid defence with 1 destroyer in front of them, alongside a box to box midfielder and a creative type. Then you have two wide players and a front man. The attacking threat required from full backs in a 4-4-2 will not be as essential. The emphasis on attacking football falls to the wide two, front man and box to box midfielder arriving late.

Alternatively we could go down the route of Givet on the left being defensive and Emerton on the right encouraged to go forward. Honestly I would not be suprised if Warnock is considered as a full time central midfielder next season. There are downsides to that but if we are strapped for cash it does make some sense - he has an incredible engine, hard in the challange, and an eye for goal. I am not convinced the likes of Rothen or M'Bia would actually offer us any more than what Warnock could give us.

A way we could accomodate both warnock and givet in defence.

4-1-4-1 with a defence of:

Robinson

Emerton - Nelsen - Givet - Warnock

Samba (protects the back four and if we need to push forward in the final moments of the game he can go on one of his mazy runs) :rover:

Nicko,

Any chance of Rovers going in for Jozy Altidore? His spanish club aren't using him, he's great for the USMNT, and he's 20. Huge, scads of pace, good instinct, and would only be a few million pounds...

Sorry to join the Nicko dogpile there...

Just watched the Serbia vs Austria game from the other day....

That Janko is a hell of a player.Took a ball down about 40 yards out and rifled it clean of the crossbar. Tall and pretty quick as well.No wonder he scored x amount of goals and his club wants 9m. We NEED him if RSC goes, we also need EMANA from betis as well.

Surely the better option would be:

Emerton / Nelsen / Samba / Givet

___________Warnock

Am I on my own in thinking that Samba would be a bit of a liability in midfield?

Comparing him to say Grella in the same position 50/50 i'd say would be interesting to see in a friendly game.

Edit after 1 minute thinking about it NO.

I've seen Givet play at all different levels and on many more occasions than you and probably any other person on this board, both in person and on TV and I also have friends who are Marseille fans and season ticket holders, many of whom are very knowledgeable and decent judges of footballers, not one is upset about losing Givet. He's a good defender and does his job, but he is limited as a left back because of his lack of pace and attacking threat and has also made a habit of making mistakes when playing at centre back.

I'm sure he'll be starting at the beginning of the season, we've spent so much money on him he virtually has to, but that doesn't mean that we needed to buy him. It is 3.5 million and 30+k spent on one of the five or six positions I think we can't relatively easily improve on (two centre backs, left back, keeper and one or both of the forwards). Where's the logic in that? It now looks like we're in a position where we have to sell in order to improve elsewhere and also significantly cut the wage bill and we have just spent a decent amount of money on a fee and wages in a position where some of our highest earners will already be (Warnock, Samba and Nelsen must all be towards the top of our wage bill) and none of them will be happy on the bench. So instead we'll probably shift Warnock into midfield, remove any attacking threat from a full back position and have Warnock run around like a headless chicken in most matches. Between Zurab and Olsson we have two players who make for decent cover at the centre back and left back positions. If we want to reduce our squad size and wage bill, it is signings like this that we need to avoid. Selling Nelsen is now the only sensible solution.

Eddie, You were doing alright until you mentioned Olsson as a left back.

Guest benmaxwell
Any chance of Rovers going in for Jozy Altidore? His spanish club aren't using him, he's great for the USMNT, and he's 20. Huge, scads of pace, good instinct, and would only be a few million pounds...

Only 19 in fact! Quality player who never seems to settle even though he has shown immense talent.

Has no problem scoring Internationally, but doesn't have the best club scoring record, however as has already been said, he is still young!

Work permit would probably be a issue though...

From the Santa Cruz to Man City link above

"Sam Allardyce is set to hold out for £15 million plus Israeli defender Tal Ben Haim and possibly one other player before sanctioning any deal."

And people on here wonder where all the talk comes from about swop deals.

Its not due to Footy Manager. Its always the papers. An article a week or so ago mentioned Santa Cruz to Spurs with Bent/Huddlestone/Chimbonda going the other way.

I've seen Givet play at all different levels and on many more occasions than you and probably any other person on this board, both in person and on TV and I also have friends who are Marseille fans and season ticket holders, many of whom are very knowledgeable and decent judges of footballers, not one is upset about losing Givet. He's a good defender and does his job, but he is limited as a left back because of his lack of pace and attacking threat and has also made a habit of making mistakes when playing at centre back.

Between Zurab and Olsson we have two players who make for decent cover at the centre back and left back positions.

Sorry Eddie,

I may be naive, but Im more than happy in what I have seen. Givet has been a very decent signing for Rovers in the second half of the season and we would be silly not to sign him on.

And as for either of the potential left back's you mention, you would need a decent heart and low blood pressure (I have neither!)

Warnick is far better value in his multiple position role than Martin or Zurab are at left back - Zurab at centre half is an entirely different proposition.

Got a feeling that the mystery striker is Zigic on loan with a view. Wouldn't mind either way, will probably be proven wrong though when Nicko say's who it is. I must say you have done a great job in keeping us all hooked! :tu:

Got a feeling that the mystery striker is Zigic on loan with a view. Wouldn't mind either way, will probably be proven wrong though when Nicko say's who it is. I must say you have done a great job in keeping us all hooked! :tu:

Maybe we are after Eidur Gudjohnsen again?

You're right, but the thing is the Givet signing either means that we need to sell a defender or that we need to bring in a lot more players to change the way that we play. If we want to employ 4 lumbering defenders then we need to have a lot of pace in midfield and up front and at the moment we have....well no one that fits that bill. We've played our best football with this squad when our full backs have got forward and supported our wide players, we have a squad suited to it. With either Benni or Santa Cruz playing it allows us to play with width and create chances in the box, with MGP playing it makes up for him not being a true winger and creates space for him and it would do the same on the opposite side for Diouf or anyone else there. Without attacking fullbacks we need MGP to return to being what he once was (and I don't think he was THAT bad this season), but I can't see him being that good without support. I also don't think Diouf is a good enough winger to operate without that same attacking support from the right back.

I think Givet is a good player, I am just not sure if he is the right player for us to be spending a sizable chunk of our budget on.

Eddie---when will you ever give the manager some credit?--------never I suspect. Givet was a great capture in January and it would be a very foolish club which didn't sign him on the basis of his performances. If we didn't sign him, a rival club sure would. He'll be worth more than 3.5M if he keeps this up. As for midfield and up-front we'll have to trust the manager to make the right decisions won't we? He's been doing it for some years now.

With only 2 weeks of the transfer window gone Allardyce has already made a better job of it than Ince if he does nothing more at all.

Nicko rates the Mystery Striker highly. From what I remember of the last two years of Zigic being linked with us, that doesn't apply to the big Serb.

Archived