BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nick Blackman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did we offer Blackman a new deal again? Do we think he will be part of the first team squad this season?

He might improve but everytime I have seen him, he has looked very poor.

Surely just a coincidence that he is a SEM client, same as Kean who are both managed by the very rich man (Jerome Anderson).

I may be wrong but Blackmans contract was running out and we valued him at around 250k so felt it was better to offer him a deal rather than lose him on a free.

Lose him? Who in their right mind would take him on a free? He couldn't cut it when on loan at Oldham but Kean, Venkys and Anderson were all more than happy to give him a new contract, a decision which regular Reserve watchers found incredible. It would have been a blessing to get rid of him not offer him more wages for a further two years. It was a decision which perfectly illustrates the state that the club is in. Agents, it would appear, rule the roost.

Have I got the right player here, is Blackman the guy who scored lots of goals in the Scottish spl? Surely worth more than 250k...imo.

I think you misunderstand the SPL slightly. The team who Blackman scored the goals for, Motherwell, have record transfer fee paid of £500k, for John Spencer who had a record of scoring goals in the Premier League at that point, and was a fairly high profile player in Scotland.

Middle of the road SPL teams have about the same amount of money as a League 1 or 2 club. Expecting more than £250k for a player who scored 12 goals in 39 games in that league is a little optimistic.

I think you misunderstand the SPL slightly. The team who Blackman scored the goals for, Motherwell, have record transfer fee paid of £500k, for John Spencer who had a record of scoring goals in the Premier League at that point, and was a fairly high profile player in Scotland.

Middle of the road SPL teams have about the same amount of money as a League 1 or 2 club. Expecting more than £250k for a player who scored 12 goals in 39 games in that league is a little optimistic.

Ha ha!!

You just beat me to giving his Scottish record.

I was also going to add that Parsonblue's view of him is likely to be spot on.

He scored ten of them in the first half of the season then two after christmas.. Needs to play for PNE maybe EHD might teach him a trick or two.. looked awful when he came on against Wolves didn't know where to play and stuck to the left wing like a robot when we were loosing.. Needs at least another season on loan, him and Hanley..

I also believe most Scottish SPL teams would buy him for £250,000 he does have age on his side..

• 1 year later...

1 SOCCER Reading Blackman

ROYALS LAND BLACKMAN

Reading have announced that they have completed the signing of Sheffield United striker Nick Blackman

Blackman has impressed for the Blades since he moved from Aberdeen last summer, scoring 14 goals for the npower League One club.

Crystal Palace lodged a bid for the 23-year-old last week, but the lure of Barclays Premier League football means the striker has opted to join the Royals instead.

Blackman, who is reported to have cost the Royals £1.2million, is a guest of honour at the club's home game against Chelsea tonight.

The Bury-born striker spent three and a half years at Blackburn before moving to Scotland in 2011.

He is Reading's fourth signing of the January window, following Stephen Kelly, Daniel Caricco and Hope Akpan in to Brian McDermott's relegation-threatened squad.

``I'm really looking forward to it and I'm very excited,'' Blackman told Reading's official website.

``I met the gaffer last night, he was fantastic with me and I couldn't have asked any more from him and Nicky Hammond. I can't wait to play - hopefully I can try and get involved as soon as possible.''

``We're very pleased to get him,'' Reading boss McDermott said.

``He had options elsewhere but he knows that we try to develop our players and get them better. He's played a lot of games, and has so much more to come.

``He can play in three or four positions - up front, either one of the wide areas and off the striker. I believe he can play off the striker, I spoke to him about that last night.

``He's another player that's hungry, wants to learn and wants to improve. His goalscoring record is getting better, better and better every year. He takes set plays, so he's a really good acquisition to the group.''

Archived