BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

The fact Sam doesn't appear to be interested in coming back in for him speaks volumes for me.

If he was actually any good and just a poor unfortunate soul who was a victim of of bad man management by the overlord of all evil Steve Kean as some are suggesting, he would surely be able to fill his boots at championship level.

The fact is, two managers don't appear to rate him.

Not sure Allardyce has the funds to bring kalinic in after giving Nolan 50k a week and 4/5yr deal :o that coupled with the fact he doesn't play Allardyces style of football makes it a non-starter for me :wacko:

But simply Kalinic isn't good enough, we bought a dud, he's a championship player a best, sad but true in my eyes.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone on here ever had to work or manage someone from a foreign country with really poor English? I have, and to say it is incredibly difficult would be an understatement. When you have a team of people with good English that understand what you want from them, but then have 1 or 2 people that feel completely alienated, it is an incredibly hard situation to manage and more often than not you won't be able to get the most out of that foreign member of your team.

Kalinic has been mismanaged, whether by Sam or by Kean or by both. I don't believe for a second that Kalinic lacks effort or desire to play and be successful for this club, but Kean needs to find a way to tap into his potential and motivate him or otherwise sell him.

English lessons perhaps?

Doesn't necessarily help, and some pick up the language slower than others. The key thing is that it is very easy for someone from a foreign country to feel completely isolated. We tend to mainly have French and English speaking players at the club, I'm not sure if Kalinic has anyone to talk to at the club even? Signing another Croatian could always help (or even someone from Eastern Europe), but there are things you can do internally to help him out as well. The problem is that you likely need to expend twice or even three times the effort to try and get the most out of him, as compared to someone more local like Roberts.

Doesn't necessarily help, and some pick up the language slower than others. The key thing is that it is very easy for someone from a foreign country to feel completely isolated. We tend to mainly have French and English speaking players at the club, I'm not sure if Kalinic has anyone to talk to at the club even? Signing another Croatian could always help (or even someone from Eastern Europe), but there are things you can do internally to help him out as well. The problem is that you likely need to expend twice or even three times the effort to try and get the most out of him, as compared to someone more local like Roberts.

I agree with this. Although surely this is something that needs to be done when the player joins. I don't think doing it two years later is going to have any effect.

A failure of the previous management if it wasn't done. Although that would surprise me, a lot of money is invested in player welfare these days.

I agree with this. Although surely this is something that needs to be done when the player joins. I don't think doing it two years later is going to have any effect.

A failure of the previous management if it wasn't done. Although that would surprise me, a lot of money is invested in player welfare these days.

Precisely - why is the assumption that not enough was done. Some settle despite never really learning the language; some don't. Some are good enough; some aren't. Kalinic apparently isn't and I really trust the person who told me that. Background problems or not, the guy just isn't that good.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Den either you or Andy Cryer has got that wrong. The article says the FORMER will probably not be at the club. If Cryer meant that then it's Jason Roberts who probably won't be here, as his is the first name on the list. If he meant Kalinic is likely not to be here, he should have said the latter.

• Backroom

Earlier in the article though it says

'The next few weeks will also prove crucial for Nikola Kalinic, and all the signs are he will start next season at another club. '

Actually Den either you or Andy Cryer has got that wrong. The article says the FORMER will probably not be at the club. If Cryer meant that then it's Jason Roberts who probably won't be here, as his is the first name on the list. If he meant Kalinic is likely not to be here, he should have said the latter.

See what you mean although Im pretty sure Cryer meant Kalinic as he also says:

"The next few weeks will also prove crucial for Nikola Kalinic, and all the signs are he will start next season at another club. "

See what you mean although Im pretty sure Cryer meant Kalinic as he also says:

"The next few weeks will also prove crucial for Nikola Kalinic, and all the signs are he will start next season at another club. "

Then it's cryer's English that is incorrect!

If we really don't have the resources to bring in a quality striker, we need to start again with Niko. Fresh slate, new start and all that. He can do it for Croatia, let's get him on a decent run for Rovers.

If we really don't have the resources to bring in a quality striker, we need to start again with Niko. Fresh slate, new start and all that. He can do it for Croatia, let's get him on a decent run for Rovers.

Totally agree.

The problem at Rovers is that we have deadwood that are given chances over young lads.... People like Roberts & Benjani are coming to an end, Kalinic should be ahead of them.

Same goes in Midfield - we have Andrews & Grella (not that we ever see him) - id rather see a young lad like Lowe given a chance over them!

Then it's cryer's English that is incorrect!

Why do you think it's Roberts who wont be here Gumboots?

We know that Kalinic wanted his future sorted out. Maybe that's what Cryer alludes to. There's been no mention of Roberts leaving - as far as I'm aware.

Why do you think it's Roberts who wont be here Gumboots?

We know that Kalinic wanted his future sorted out. Maybe that's what Cryer alludes to. There's been no mention of Roberts leaving - as far as I'm aware.

I don't think it's Roberts but if you say the former you mean the first name in the list and if you say the latter you mean the last name in the list. He says Roberts and Kalinic with the former being off somewhere else or words to that effect. I'm merely pointing out that if he means Kalinic, which the rest of the article suggests then he's got his English wrong. I can't help being a pedant about language - it goes with the job. And yes, I do make mistakes but more often than not they are typos or laziness but not mistakes which confuse meaning.

• Backroom

If we got £6m I would be ecstatic but I imagine we'd be lucky to get half of that, guy has some talent but would get knocked over by a slight breeze and doesn't put enough in for me.

If we got £6m I would be ecstatic but I imagine we'd be lucky to get half of that, guy has some talent but would get knocked over by a slight breeze and doesn't put enough in for me.

To be fair, he hasn't exactly gotten worse since we bought him and in fact he's probably a stronger player physically than before. He's also scored some goals in this league and his goal ratio last season was 'ok'. He's also been playing really well for Croatia, so I think he should be rated at 3mil at the very least. The prices being touted for players right now are ludicrous so 3mil would be a bargain really. Especially if it's for a league in which he might be more settled in and start scoring goals for fun.

I don't want anybody being sold until we know for sure that Venky's are sticking around. £6m is a great transfer fee, but it means nothing if the owners pocket the cash and we're left with Benjani and Roberts up front next season...

As for Kalinic himself, I think it's a real shame how things have turned out. I think he's definitely the best striker we have at the club and that he looked pretty good during his first season with us. Unfortunately, he was only ever up front on his own and somewhat frozen out by Kean when we started to play two up top.

Archived