BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal V Blackburn Rovers

Eddie

I really don't understand why people are pointing the figure at indivudual players, because that criticism is misguided and useless. People really think that if Andrews didn't play somehow the scoreline would of been any different?!!? Or somehow if we had Grella on instead of Andrews, we would of magically put 4 past arsenal?? It is the TEAM as a WHOLE that clearly isn't working! And that is what needs to be addressed, because it really didn't matter who played today, we would of got battered either way.

I could agree more.

What the players should take with them from this game is the good first half. If we play like that the rest of the season I think we could be a safe midtable team this year.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree Al, he had little service today but worked hard when he had the ball and linked up well at times with Dunny. Don't agree with your assessment of Pedersen either, i thought he was rubbish.

I hope that Pedersen and Andrews never play for us again, sick of tired of seeing such rubbish.

Sorry but in spite of a lot of running about Di Santo achieved nothing today and I can't see him scoring in a brothel.

Regarding Pederson it probably came across wrong. I meant in comparison to Diouf who to me contributes sod all to the team. (Apart from one pass which was actually just meant as a clearance.)

My verdict on the game after watching it is that Chimbonda was poor at centre back, you could tell he doesn't normally play there; Andrews did nothing except watch Bendtner run past him and shoot; Olsson is weak at defending although good at getting forward; Dunn did well though as did Robinson. We were playing well for the first half and I actually thought we stood a chance but as soon as Dunn came off our team went to pieces. He should definitely have had a penalty, don't know how the ref missed that or why he didn't give it. At that point we could easily have got back into the game. MGP did nothing as well. Towards the end of the game our midfield was non-existent and our defence just could not cope. We were very unlucky in having Nelsen and Samba out for this game. If they were fit the score line would not have been so heavy but we still did not deserve 6 put past us.

Fair play to Arsenal though, they played really well. Nice attacking football and they just kept coming. I just wished we had had someone to close down Fabregas and the rest of their midfielders rather than some inept, lower league footballer named Andrews. Nzonzi did more and at least attempted to get stuck in.

In future I do NOT want to see Andrews in the starting 11, Chimbonda at centre back and preferably not Olsson starting at left back just yet.

My marks out of 10:

Robbo - A number of quality saves but unlucky to concede 6 - 8

Jacobsen - Did not do too badly but maybe should not have dived in for goal number 3 - 7

Chimbonda - Poor defending, out of position a number of times and at fault for about 3 goals although not naturally a CB - 5

Givet - Not his best but a number of crucial tackles/interceptions - 6

Olsson - Still looks out of his depth, poor positional sense, got sucked in a number of times but decent when forward and unlucky with cracking volley - 6

Diouf - Looked slow with the ball, not pace-wise but decision-wise, although good ball to release Emo for Dunn's goal and not a bad overall performance - 7

Emerton - Can do a lot better although he did set up Dunn - 6

Andrews - Where do I start?? - 4

Nzonzi - Nice to see him use his height for a goal but pretty over run in the middle - 6

Dunn - Brilliant with the ball, always looking to create something and so glad to see him playing well. Should not have been taken off - 8

Di Santo - Worked his socks off without much joy but was kinda isolated - 7

MGP - Did he actually do anything besides waste a free kick in a good position? - 4

McCarthy - Unlucky with injury

Hoilett - Hit the post and looked lively but was hard for him against strong defenders - 7

That is my opinion so I don't care what others say! If we play like we did in the first half more often we will do fine this season. A few changes and a bit more luck is what we need so I am not going to get too carried away in saying how crap we are or start hating Sam like others seem to be doing. We just need to build on the positives. Fluke score lines like this happen every now and again but we still were not as bad as Everton.

Laughable reading some of the over-reactions from spotty youths on here.

###### happens sometimes but the club is being well managed by one of the country's top bosses.

Let's look forward to the next game.

Anyone know why Dunn was taken off? In a world of mystifying decisions it's got to be up there with Big Sam's worst if there wasn't a valid reason for it. He was by far our best player out there. They went to pieces afterwards.

As for Di Santo, cut him some slack he's yet to play a full game with a strike partner. I've seen Shearer struggle up front on his own.

Face he facts Folks,we simply have no answer whatsoever to Arsenal's skill and attacking prowess.....and we haven't for donkey's years.The way they sliced us open time,after time,after time was frigtening!.

Tis just one of those games against the top 4 we have to write off these days.

Really sad to watch us crumble into dust though :(

Laughable reading some of the over-reactions from spotty youths on here.

###### happens sometimes but the club is being well managed by one of the country's top bosses.

Let's look forward to the next game.

Which season are you watching?

I wonder what Hoilett has to do to get a start. This lad is an excellent player in his own right and deserves to start the next game. I think Allardyce's love affair with Diouf should give way to the greater good of Rovers. Not to fault Diouf's performance today (seemingly, he was reasonably) but we can do better with Hoilett.

A match .....no. A game.....briefly. A fixture fulfilled. Yes. What is the point of Sky showing our games against these better teams.

And why do we insist on wearing such a dull kit when the famous Blue & White Halves were available. We should wear the home shirt unless the ref forbids it.Even the 1992 yellow kit from the shop down the road from Highbury is better than that dark blue thing. Perhaps we didn't want anyone to know who we were?

Surprisingly, the defence wasn't badly to blame today. Some class finishes and unmarked runners from midfield being our doing.

N'Zonzi needed to step up today and while he did what he could was short.

As for Andrews, That MUST be it surely. The boos will come now i'm sure (they will from me anyway). Likewise Pedersen. Another pathetic display.

We need more from the wide men in this system and is not happening.

The 4-4-1-1 has so far produces For 2 Against 9 in 2 away games. I just don't think it will work for us away.

The managers subs were pointless again, Hoilett did oK but should be on before Benni at the moment.

If we ever needed the experience of Salgado it was today, so when he will play I don't know.

So another write off and a win in the next 2 home games crucial.

A match .....no. A game.....briefly. A fixture fulfilled. Yes. What is the point of Sky showing our games against these better teams.

And why do we insist on wearing such a dull kit when the famous Blue & White Halves were available. We should wear the home shirt unless the ref forbids it.Even the 1992 yellow kit from the shop down the road from Highbury is better than that dark blue thing. Perhaps we didn't want anyone to know who we were?

Surprisingly, the defence wasn't badly to blame today. Some class finishes and unmarked runners from midfield being our doing.

N'Zonzi needed to step up today and while he did what he could was short.

As for Andrews, That MUST be it surely. The boos will come now i'm sure (they will from me anyway). Likewise Pedersen. Another pathetic display.

We need more from the wide men in this system and is not happening.

The 4-4-1-1 has so far produces For 2 Against 9 in 2 away games. I just don't think it will work for us away.

The managers subs were pointless again, Hoilett did oK but should be on before Benni at the moment.

If we ever needed the experience of Salgado it was today, so when he will play I don't know.

So another write off and a win in the next 2 home games crucial.

there was something on the official site on thursday saying that the ref had said we had to wear the navy 3rd kit.

Sorry? Remind me of their other home game results this season?

Once you fall a goal behind at the emirates, you're screwed. They're a class act, and we have Keith Andrews!

I'm referring to Arsenal and Rovers in general rather than anything specific from this season.

• Backroom

A somewhat embarrassing scoreline, but to be expected. Considering we picked up a grand total of 0 points against the top 4 last year (plus Villa who came 6th) it should come as no surprise that we once again were soundly beaten by a team that we always seem to let destroy us. I was going to check the last 3 or 4 results we've had against L'Arse but decided against it.... it'd probably be awful reading. Goal difference could be crucial at the end of the campaign, and it's matches like this where we leak goals for fun that we'll look back on and wish we'd have limited the damage.

Bad day at the office against one of the best footballing sides around. Next up, dingles...

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce: "We haven't got what we deserve, but these things happen rather too regularly when you play the big clubs and it's another shout for technology. I'm not saying we would have won the game but we'd have had an opportunity to get level. It should've been a penalty and a red card maybe - that's maybe why the referee didn't give it. After that we capitulated and died."

This is exactly my view of the game. After the referee (who was either blind or operating under a double standard favoring Arsenal) denied Dunn a clear penalty, the mood of the game changed. Dunn was becoming more agitated (and I was worried the ref would take any excuse to red card him- he certainly was free with the yellows) which was I think Sam removed him. We need him fit and available for the Burnley game. When Dunn left, that sucked the desire out of the Rovers.

I'm of the opinion that Benni is past it. Andrew needs to be sold. Pedersen's contract should not be renewed. Replace the three of them, and I suspect that Sam will be able to finding worthy replacements.

Having now just watched two of our so called big clubs slug out a 0-0 boring 1st half game it made Rovers second half diatribe look attractive.

I just cant accept the penalty decision, if given would have affected the outcome of the game but you have to agree with SAM, the head of the refs has to cut out basoc errors by referees.

I would have loved to see Rovers pull out a 3rd goal with the penalty, even a 4th if Juniors shot had sneaked in. Now that wouldhave been entertainment.

Back to our team today and the performance. ALL Rovers fans expected a loss, a heavy one at that and we got what Arsenal dish out so very often to teams of a similar nature to us.

Robbo had a good game.

Jacobsen and Chimbonda didnt pair well together on the right and middle. Both at fault for goals 2 and 3 and could have offered more cover inbstead of backing off.

Givet did well but he was covering both Chimbonda and Olssen, who btw had a decent game and was unlucky not to score with a rasping shot that froced their keeper into a good save.

Emerton did okay, he should have been pulled into the middle.

Dunn - motm again. Getting back to a DD of old.

Diouf had a game that was more in than out. Great ball to release Emerton.

NZonzi is still finding his feet. I thought he did well against an Arsenal midfield of true class.

ANDREWS - FOREVER THE VILLAIN. Useless at best. Some described him as a waste of oxygen, he is far far worse than that. I am not a paid up member of his fan club but please, it is very clear that he was at fault for giving too much ball away, not enough defending, tracking back or getting a tackle in. Tried far too many expansive balls which put us on the back foot. At fault for goals 5 and 6 by not tracking back and not getting a block in.

Di santo shame that this lad is not scoring but I am sure he will when it goes right for him. A 100% handfull with lots of effort.

We have to remember we played Arsenal, a fast football flowing outfit with truly skilled footballers. We just couldnt cope with them overpowering us through the middle due to a lack of cover and a missing defensive shield. There is NOT another footballing team like them in the Premiership.

The scoreline may look a tad unjust becuase Rovers so nearly upset the applecart.

BRING ON THE @#/?S :blush:

Reading through this thread is incredible.

We were without Nelsen and Samba - Chimbonda and Givet were the obvious pairing. Somebody wrote that Jones should have started instead...unbelievable.

Their goals were world class. No team could have done much against any of them. Arsenal playing like that are unplayable. Of course its dissappointing but we were going to lose any way we played, to at least go ahead twice and show that we have the ability to cause the big teams a threat is something.

No point in dwelling on this result. No team would expect to leave the Emirates with a win or even a draw and we did lose here 6-2 under Hughes.

Reading through this thread is incredible.

We were without Nelsen and Samba - Chimbonda and Givet were the obvious pairing. Somebody wrote that Jones should have started instead...unbelievable.

Their goals were world class. No team could have done much against any of them. Arsenal playing like that are unplayable. Of course its dissappointing but we were going to lose any way we played, to at least go ahead twice and show that we have the ability to cause the big teams a threat is something.

No point in dwelling on this result. No team would expect to leave the Emirates with a win or even a draw and we did lose here 6-2 under Hughes.

Until Dunny went off we were giving them a game, then we went to pot. That's not 'unplayable'. It's not the defeat, it's the manner of the defeat and the decisions that were made by the manager that I'm struggling to defend. Why keep Andrews on and take Dunn off? Why have Andrews on the field in the first place after dropping him against Villa for being out of form? Game after game there's been strange management decisions, and it doesn't take rocket science to see the problems. So why can't Sam? It's very worrying.

That said, the penalty decision is looking even more damaging now I've watched it a few times. Especially with a few saying that it may even have been a red card.

I just hope we play two up front against Burnley, Samba is back and Andrews isn't anywhere near the pitch... And we get 3 points ;)

Anyway I'm going to try and block this out now and (try to) enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

I don't want to be critical of Di Santo, but did he really have as good a game as several people have pointed out? I'd love to be able to say the same but I can only think that if Roberts played instead and produced the same performance then he wouldn't have been praised so highly.

The only reason why he didn't have a bad second half like the majority of our side is purely because we weren't attacking Arsenal as much in the 2nd half so he was left on his own with not much to do but chasing down Arsenal players. I'm pretty sure Big Sam was about to sub him off until Benni picked up an injury forcing Big Sam to keep him on.

Goalkeeper:

Robinson had a good game but couldn't do much about their goals. They were either top class finishes or his defence let him down with poor positioning.

Defenders:

We had a makeshift defence. Poor Jacobsen didn't have the best of games but we've seen previously that we've picked up a good freebie. Givet and Chimbonda weren't tight enough and despite some great last ditch defending, they constantly allowed Arsenal to open them up. We missed Nelsen's leadership and also showed how vital Samba is to Blackburn. Olsson played alright, he had good pace but Arsenal exploited his lack of experience.

Midfield:

Outclassed in the middle by the superb Fabregas. He could have played alone in that midfield and still outclassed our central pair today. Unfortunately Andrews and N'Zonzi weren't strong enough and didn't keep the ball enough to boss the midfield. David Dunn played superbly yet again and it was great to see another goal by him. He's showing the signs of the young David Dunn which earned him an England call up. Maybe if he can keep this up in the forthcoming months then he might be able to knock on Capello's door for a chance to impress in a friendly. Diouf was at times good and also looks like he can't be bothered. He did a great, though lucky, ball to Emerton to set up Dunn but he was constantly knocked off the ball and didn't really look like going anywhere. Emerton showed a lot of energy and it's great to see him back playing for us.

Attack:

Di Santo earned his start after his display against Villa but felt he struggled alone up front as he didn't get the supply he needed from the midfield. He worked hard to close down the opposition but to be fair there was not much else he could do in the second half. I don't even remember him having a shot on goal. Dunn linked up well with him in the first half but second half it wouldn't have surprised me to see him taken off.

Oppositon:

Arsenal we're superb. Probably should have scored more. A lot of teams would have panicked going a goal down so early but we all probably knew that they would come back because they've done it so often. To be fair Wenger, his tactics were spot on as usual and his subs impressed when they came on. 6-2 probably flattered us if we're honest. It could have been a lot worse based on that second half performance.

Archived