BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Behaviour

RIML

Long way to travel every home game just for that if they have a season ticket, I've sat in rows in the BBE and had fans who come in mouthing off mainly it's down to them being drunk which is just stupid cos you can't enjoy the game that way i always think it's a waste. I've herd fans singing songs which I've thought are a bit much like the one some fans sing about Samba but ain't much i can do to stop them apart from reporting them which if anything like trying to stop smoking in the toilets ain't going to change much.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that song in all honesty, Man United fans sing about Wayne Rooney being the White Pele, Chris Samba is a Big Black Man. Same difference to me.

Anyways I think this concludes the word Paki is racist and unacceptable More than an ordinary four-letter word

A very good read, some things I didn't really know myself, I think this concludes everything.

"To put it politely, anyone who thinks that the word Paki is acceptable is unaware of this sordid history or unable to understand its significance. Put another way, if you think that it's all right to call someone a Paki you're ignorant or stupid."

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They sang "we hate pakis" last season, this season they sang "Owen Coyle shags Pakis"

No what does that mean? difference, its racism.

Hard going this...... :(

Right get over it, it's racism, there was a difference in the songs though, one is far more offensive than the other, singing we hate P***'s is their own personal opinion, whereas a made up song about Owen Coyle shagging P***'s is still racist because of the word P*** but they're not exactly saying they hate them, the first is inciting racial hatred, big difference.

• Backroom

To eradicate racist chants is very simple. REPORT THEM. And when they are led out the ground by coppers and stewards, chant 'who the effing hell are you?!?' at them. Humiliate them. Get them banned from football grounds. Get them out of sport entirely. To chant anything racist, homophobic etc is dsgusting.

On a slightly different note, what were peoples thoughts on the 'faggot in the pink' chants towards James against Portsmouth? I didn't think it 'offensive' as such, but felt uncomfortable about it and was glad when it died down.

The faggot in the pink is an interesting one, it obviously wasn't meant with any malice but that word is apparently extremely offensive to the gay community.

As far as I know David James isn't gay and it was obviously meant as humour rather than hate inpired as the racist ones.

I notice the people standing up for the BNP in that thread havn't made comment in here yet.

The faggot in the pink is an interesting one, it obviously wasn't meant with any malice but that word is apparently extremely offensive to the gay community.

My cousin is openly gay and has only ever been called a faggot 3 times in his life. All three blokes ended up with broken noses.

As far as I know David James isn't gay and it was obviously meant as humour rather than hate inpired as the racist ones.

I notice the people standing up for the BNP in that thread havn't made comment in here yet.

I was just thinking that myself!

Just to add a little something, I love how comedians such as Stephen K Amos diffuse the issue of racism by disecting it and picking on it. His 'nig-nog' and australian 'coon cheese' routines are hilarious!

Right get over it, it's racism, there was a difference in the songs though, one is far more offensive than the other, singing we hate P***'s is their own personal opinion, whereas a made up song about Owen Coyle shagging P***'s is still racist because of the word P*** but they're not exactly saying they hate them, the first is inciting racial hatred, big difference.

Is there a big difference? They are implying that shagging a p*** is something to be riddiculed. Surley the implication is just as bad as hating them, maybe worse in its casual assumption?

I give up :wacko:

Is there a big difference? They are implying that shagging a p*** is something to be riddiculed. Surley the implication is just as bad as hating them, maybe worse in its casual assumption?

Remember who they are referring to about shagging P***'s - Owen Coyle. The sad Burnley @#/? we all sing about.

Does "Owen Coyle shags P***'s" incite racial hatred in the same way as "we hate P***'s"? I've said they're both racist but saying you personally hate them has got to be seen as far worse.

You actually said 'laugh it off'. I suspect that was just a poor choice of phrase, but it does mean something different to just ignoring it.

I actually said if you look back at post #136

Anyways like you said you don't want your child to be around that cr@p, no one wants to listen to it so the best way is to either ignore it, hope they stop and realise they're not getting the attention they so desperately crave, laugh AT them and not with them or simply report them.

The shirt is to raise money for a cancer charity - link

Remember who they are referring to about shagging P***'s - Owen Coyle. The sad Burnley @#/? we all sing about.

Does "Owen Coyle shags P***'s" incite racial hatred in the same way as "we hate P***'s"? I've said they're both racist but saying you personally hate them has got to be seen as far worse.

I actually said if you look back at post #136

Im sorry, if a chant includes the word p*ki, its racist regardless of anything else. Who cares what other words are sung? What difference does it make? Its a racist insult and therefore shouldnt be tolerated regardless of what context its used in. The Owen Coyle chant and the other chant you mentioned are as bad as each other.

You cant say that because one chant uses the word in one sense and the other chant in a different sense it devalues the racist nature of the word itself.

• Backroom

Totally agree with that sentiment, he's not your usual footballer, is he?

Nah, I hope he goes into management but I think he may go into something more intellectual after he finishes, maybe something to do with his art.

He showed his class a few years ago, we tonked Pompey at home (Nonda got 2 then James saved a pen for his hattrick) he got a lot of stick but was up for a laugh with the Rovers fans behind the goal.

For anyone who thinks it is comparable to 'Brit'; take a walk through the streets and call 10 Asian people 'Paki', then call 10 English people 'Brit'. Measure the difference in reaction.

Thats the bit that I do not and cannot understand. Is it embarrassing / insulting / offensive to mention an abbreviation of Pakistan to somebody who originates from that country? Surely not. Whatever happened to national pride?

I have no strong feelings at all about people using the abbrv of British, if I'm proud to be British then why should I object to being labelled a Brit?

Most nationals are proud of their origins so what gives with Pakistani's? They are even ashamed to call their restaurants Pakistani but preferring to use the name of their traditional enemy, Indian. I'm sure that the likes of Imran Khan and countless millions of people who are proud to be Pakistani would be horrified to be described as Indians.

It's weird and imo more than a little spineless, yet we are all expected to verbally ponce around like we are walking on eggshells when in normal conversation. If the term Paki is perceived as insulting then that is the fault of the insulted and not the insulter imo. My advice is to wise up, grow up and damned well toughen up.

Whilst discussing offensive language, there is some quite regularly on this board which is offensive and no amount of reporting to mods seems to make any difference.

Using the names" Jesus" or "Christ" as expletives, in other words swearing, is offensive to me and maybe others. I have reported this in the past but little seems to be done about it.

The other day I read "Jesus effing Christ" which the mods seem to allow, yet don't allow "######,####.######,paki,nigger, (Please don't use that word again) etc."

So what? Apparently I'm classed as a 'Breeder'. So who cares? I know that I don't give a flying ferk about being referred to as a breeder.

My cousin is openly gay and has only ever been called a faggot 3 times in his life. All three blokes ended up with broken noses.

Who does he think he is? I hope he was punished appropriately with a spell at Her Majesty's pleasure. Faggot is obviously an excuse for violence in his book.

Tbh this thread is a good example of why I don't post on here anymore. In fact I only stumbled across this thread because I clicked the wrong shortcut icon on my toolbar.

As a neutral I wouldn't say the young 'banter' lads are coming across any worse than the 'old heads'. When you have got these more established members picking up each and every spelling mistake, grammatical error and incorrect use of phrase it gets very tedious. It's also unacceptable for people to accuse others of not being supportive of the team by not being vocal. I normally go to games with my old man and my brother, and neither of them choose to sing. I do. That's my decision - they don't support the club any less than I do.

Then we have 'the inbetweeners'. Those that are horrified at the thought of verbal 'racism', yet suggest 'a good thump' should sort the problem out? Well that's not even worth commenting on.

I myself love the singing and banter on a matchday, and for this reason I prefer to go to away games. I'm not easily offended either, and I'm in my early 20s so I guess you could put me in the same 'category' as some of the other lads. I think sometimes these older members need to remember how it was when they were younger, and you could argue that if the same constraints had been put on them then a 'matchday atmosphere' would be a thing of a long distant past.

Finally, can I just say that over the last three/four years I think this messageboard has become stale and miserable and very very predictable. Bit like Rovers eh?

• Backroom

Thats the bit that I do not and cannot understand. Is it embarrassing / insulting / offensive to mention an abbreviation of Pakistan to somebody who originates from that country? Surely not. Whatever happened to national pride?

I have no strong feelings at all about people using the abbrv of British, if I'm proud to be British then why should I object to being labelled a Brit?

Most nationals are proud of their origins so what gives with Pakistani's? They are even ashamed to call their restaurants Pakistani but preferring to use the name of their traditional enemy, Indian. I'm sure that the likes of Imran Khan and countless millions of people who are proud to be Pakistani would be horrified to be described as Indians.

It's weird and imo more than a little spineless, yet we are all expected to verbally ponce around like we are walking on eggshells when in normal conversation. If the term Paki is perceived as insulting then that is the fault of the insulted and not the insulter imo. My advice is to wise up, grow up and damned well toughen up.

It's not the word its the stigma attached to the word, after all any word is obviously just a bunch of letters. It's all in the context and obviously the word 'Paki' has been used with negative connotations over the years. It could have been any word, if used consistently in a derogatory context it becomes an issue.

This is getting a bit silly now, I did suggest ignoring them or reporting them.

I'm not fat btw but I have been called nasty names by scallies about the way I dress and being the tomboy that I am, you have to just rise above it and try not to let it get to you, I sometimes take things personally, other times it doesn't bother me at all, getting all upset about name calling is low an you have to rise above it, sticks and stones...... like I said I'm proud of the way God made me, also if they called you about your looks, if you asked these bullies if they could define the word ugly, they wouldn't be able to say it's someone who is unpleasant to look at, just like people who says P**i they probably couldn't tell the difference between Indians Pakistanis etc etc so you have to just think to yourself they know nothing, also people who want to call people names only do so to make them feel big because they have low life's themselves, says it all about these idiots.

Don't think you fully understood my point.

This is the last post i'm gona...post? :rock: on this thread because quite frankly it's getting a bit boring tryin to convince you that racism shouldn't be "laughed off" no matter if it's a song about Owen Coyle (not everyone hates him like you seem to think) or not.

I'm a so called 'paki' iv had a season ticket for 5yrs and take my two sons who are also season ticket holders.. Think some folk just need to get out a bit more.. Live yr life a little.. Buy a joke book go on the net for mor amusing content.. Owen shagging pakis is not funny at all.. Also a v diff one to explain to my 6 and 4 yr old???!

Don't think you fully understood my point.

This is the last post i'm gona...post? :rock: on this thread because quite frankly it's getting a bit boring tryin to convince you that racism shouldn't be "laughed off" no matter if it's a song about Owen Coyle (not everyone hates him like you seem to think) or not.

Alternative view no doubt but I'd suggest that is indeed the best answer to verbal racism. Violence being the last resort.

I guess people are brought up to be more precious nowadays.

Its a very different situation though isn't it. You haven never, I'm assuming, had groups of people chanting Brit at you in an indimmitading mannar have you?

The term P*** is clearly insulting because of what is implied by the isulter i.e. they are using it in a derogatry term. I cant believe your solution to racism is for people to toughen up.

Question: if you were of Asain origin and your daughter came home crying after being confronted by a group of kids chanting P*** at her would you tell her to toughen up or would you maybe think its outragous she had been made to feel like that and be more than a bit peed off?

I'm a so called 'paki' iv had a season ticket for 5yrs and take my two sons who are also season ticket holders.. Think some folk just need to get out a bit more.. Live yr life a little.. Buy a joke book go on the net for mor amusing content.. Owen shagging pakis is not funny at all.. Also a v diff one to explain to my 6 and 4 yr old???!

Indeed DR. 'Shagging' is a more offensive term than Paki's in my book yet oddly you and I are the first to mention that. I guess it's little wonder when the 'F' word is heard so frequently nowadays. It never used to be so.

Having been away for a week I've come back and had to skim through this thread. What I've read doesn't surprise me having been to Wigan away for the last few years.

Just give it up mate. You're proving yourself an embarrassment and if you cant see it now you never will.

Archived