BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Liverpool

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both very yound and both still finding their feet. Once Di Santo scores from open play he will soon be off on a scoring run, his shot later at least forced Reina into a save. Kalinic also was unlucky, at least he got his shot off - and also lovesd the little turn, dummy and then shot earlier which he fired off. Reminds me of a young Matty Jansen.

Both have a big future and hopefully we can sign Di Santo to reap the benefits in the future.

Young and finding their feet? Cobblers. Both players made very basic errors. Di Santo didn't play to the whistle and lost vital seconds and Kalinic thought he was going to get hurt, I thought he was going to get hurt and he did but he had plenty of time to go right and leave Reina for dead.

I agree about Kalinic and on the evidence of the last two matches think he'll be very good for us. I was especially encouraged by his attempt on the right side of the box, late on, when he controlled the ball, created space for himself and got in a shot, albeit over the bar. This lad will create chances for himself.

Di Santo may not make it at this level. Yes he's a good footballer and has some very strong qualities but for me he's unlikely to score goals, particularly playing in our current set up. Scoring from open play is unlikely and will make little difference to his confidence as he so rarely actually shoots with any conviction, if at all. There aren't many goals in this lad. If we sign him for money it will be because Chelsea already know this, it's why he's at Ewood.

Di Santo may not make it at this level. Yes he's a good footballer and has some very strong qualities but for me he's unlikely to score goals, particularly playing in our current set up. Scoring from open play is unlikely and will make little difference to his confidence as he so rarely actually shoots with any conviction, if at all. There aren't many goals in this lad. If we sign him for money it will be because Chelsea already know this, it's why he's at Ewood.

I shouldn't be so quick to judge on this. Bentley is a good example of a player that seemed very poor in some areas and then massively improved. The fact that Di Santo seems to win 60% of balls into him in the air, has good feet, can run the channels and has pace to burn suggests to me he is going to make it. He did exceptionally well against Carragher et al.

He might not mature to be a 20 goal a season guy, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Heskey, Davies, Zamora, Carlton Cole all succeeding. We should sign him if the opportunity arises for 5m or under.

I see what your saying Paul and I must admit I have had my doubts too in recent weeks about him, however I think he offers alot and given abut more time once he bags a goal or two he will get going and confidence will come flowing into him. Also like Joey says he has some very good qualities already, we just need to work on one or two others. His shot later was much better than his 1 on 1 attempt.

Kalinic looks like the new Matt Jansen. One thing I like about both players is that they run their socks off and do very little moaning.

I wouldn't say he was one of our best players £ for £. He did cost 1.3m - which although isn't a huge amount - it's more than you'd have wanted to pay for him.

its certainly more than he is worth.

Correction---its more than he WAS worth. We'd probably get that now------asap I hope!

Young and finding their feet? Cobblers. Both players made very basic errors. Di Santo didn't play to the whistle and lost vital seconds and Kalinic thought he was going to get hurt, I thought he was going to get hurt and he did but he had plenty of time to go right and leave Reina for dead.

I agree about Kalinic and on the evidence of the last two matches think he'll be very good for us. I was especially encouraged by his attempt on the right side of the box, late on, when he controlled the ball, created space for himself and got in a shot, albeit over the bar. This lad will create chances for himself.

Good points, cant disagree with any of them, but i'll say Di Santo WILL MAKE IT at this level.

Your points on Di Santo provide a good starting point for the young lad, coaching this lad I would have thought would be a dream as he has all the attributes required to be a star of the future.

With some good coaching and guidance on all three yong lads Di Santo, Kalinic and Hoilett, should prove very profitable for the club in seasons to come.

Some interesting points which may or may not of been expected:

Nelsen had 100% successful pass rate – The only other player with a 100% success rate was Carragher

Grella made 25 passes, only 1 failing to reach its man

I was looking at the stats for Fulham and Stoke as well and I'm amazed at how poor Robinson's passing has been, but perhaps not surprised. Clearly we need to stop passing the ball to Robbo to boot it up field, coz it's useless.

Nelsen had 100% passing against Fulham as well. Grella is really accurate as well.

2 comments taken from that - Very good point by the Arsenal Fan.........

Scott Flippence (Arsenal fan) says...

Why is there no mention of Gerrards blatand dive at the weekend? Is there a reason he is being "protected"? Within the month, that is now two blatant dives that Gerrad and Ng'og have got away with, one actually fooled the ref and managed to save them a point, and one trying to get all 3 points, but both are just swept under the carpet, meanwhile, in a game where is didnt make any difference to the end result, Eduardo's dive becomes world news, and he is now branded a cheat at every ground he goes to? Rules for one, and rules for another!

Posted 13:37 7th December 2009

Pete Jones (Liverpool fan) says...

What would Samba know about impressive football? He plays in a team run by that moaner "Big Sam", what I can only describe as "Ale house football". They were lucky their pitch was in such awful condition! If the bobble wasn't there N'Gog would've knicked it. It seems that all the small time players are even putting their boot into Liverpool now as well as managers from small clubs.

Andrews plays the same balls but gives the ball away frequently!! Ball retention is the first rule of football nowadays, if we have the ball, they cant play, end of, the city game was a prime example last year, if we had have had better ball retention, we would have won the game!!

May not always be pretty but keeping the ball is so important.

Now I'm not a huge fan of Andrews, but I do often feel that he comes in for some unfair criticism and this is one of those times - so I used that chalkboard thingy on the Guardian website to look at his passing stats for all of our games this season. I'd suggest you do the same. Going off the stats on there Andrews actually has a decent pass completion rate - he had a poor game, stats wise, against Arsenal giving the ball away 7 times out of 20 passes - but other than that he has a very good record for the season.

Now I'm not to trying to claim that he's some kind of world-beater, but he's an honest, hard-working player that does a job for us. Could we do better than him? Almost certainly. Does he deserve the ridiculous amount of critcism that he receives? Absolutely not. In fact, if he was signed by anyone other than Ince he wouldn't get criticised half as much.

Posted 13:37 7th December 2009

Pete Jones (Liverpool fan) says...

It seems that all the small time players are even putting their boot into Liverpool now as well as managers from small clubs.

I feel so sorry for poor old Liverpool and their mouthy players.

Stand up if you've won the league!

I feel so sorry for poor old Liverpool and their mouthy players.

Stand up if you've won the league!

Its like the last days of the Roman Empire! Their fans know the total mess they are in!

Went on Red and White Kop forum the other day, load of 'Well at least we'll get shut of the post Istanbul glory hunters'

Yeah, because Anfield was packed to the rafters with Scousers pre 2005!!! This decline could not happen to a more deserving set of fans.

Now I'm not a huge fan of Andrews, but I do often feel that he comes in for some unfair criticism and this is one of those times - so I used that chalkboard thingy on the Guardian website to look at his passing stats for all of our games this season. I'd suggest you do the same. Going off the stats on there Andrews actually has a decent pass completion rate - he had a poor game, stats wise, against Arsenal giving the ball away 7 times out of 20 passes - but other than that he has a very good record for the season.

Now I'm not to trying to claim that he's some kind of world-beater, but he's an honest, hard-working player that does a job for us. Could we do better than him? Almost certainly. Does he deserve the ridiculous amount of critcism that he receives? Absolutely not. In fact, if he was signed by anyone other than Ince he wouldn't get criticised half as much.

Stats only measure quantity not quality. What ruins your arguement is the"if he was signed by anyone other than Ince". You're on safe ground there because because no-one else would have been daft enough to sign him.

Stats only measure quantity not quality. What ruins your arguement is the"if he was signed by anyone other than Ince". You're on safe ground there because because no-one else would have been daft enough to sign him.

Fair point about stats - however, my post was in reply to someone claiming (wrongly judging by the stats) that he gives the ball away frequently - whilst at the same time saying how well Diouf was doing at not giving the ball away using those same stats. You can't use stats to make an argument, then say that they don't count when they don't say what you want them to!!

Like I said I'm not a huge fan of Andrews - if I was picking the team he wouldn't be in the starting 11. However, that said, I don't believe he deserves the level of criticism he gets - some of it is just downright nasty, like hoping he gets injured for instance. And that's where the Ince comment came from, all managers sign bad players from time to time - Hughes signed Mokoena, Allardyce has signed Diouf - both players that, just like Andrews, would get no where near the starting 11 if I were in charge - but whilst they receive(d) some criticism it is nowhere near the same level that Keith gets. I suggest that's the Ince factor - but maybe you have a different explanation?

Having just watched the motd highlights and seen the shocking pro Liverpool commentary (commentator saying "how much contact was there" on the replay when it was clear Gerrard dived says it all) in terms of chances we clearly had more and better chances. Other than the one off the bar, Liverpool didn't really create any clear cut chances. Kudos to the defence.

BOTH Di Santo and Kalinic should've done much better - Di Santo hesitated whilst Kalinic panicked. You'd expect one of those to result in a goal. Benni was unlucky to see his chance go just wide too. Overall having seen the highlights I'd definately say we were unlucky not to win.

Incidently Liverpool are fast becoming one of my most disliked team, with a mouthy manager, players and fans, not to mention their diving antics. Can take a lot of solice from the fact we are on the up, whilst they're clearly in decline.

the point I was trying to get across was that it sounded like we have a few idiots who boo'd KA when he came on. Putting aside for a minute any merit in actually booing any player of ours, or the team in general, I was just wishing to register my dismay at anybody who would do this prior to him making an impact. I.e. bringing their preconceived views to bear before he actually did anything.

I completely agree

Any booing of Keith Andrews when he comes on the pitch is stupid and pathetic.

With a fully fit squad we can field a central midfield from Dunn, Grella, and Emerton and there are a number of others who could play there as well. If Andrews is picked to come on, it is because he justifies a place.

Learn to live with it. :angry:

Fair point about stats - however, my post was in reply to someone claiming (wrongly judging by the stats) that he gives the ball away frequently - whilst at the same time saying how well Diouf was doing at not giving the ball away using those same stats. You can't use stats to make an argument, then say that they don't count when they don't say what you want them to!!

Like I said I'm not a huge fan of Andrews - if I was picking the team he wouldn't be in the starting 11. However, that said, I don't believe he deserves the level of criticism he gets - some of it is just downright nasty, like hoping he gets injured for instance. And that's where the Ince comment came from, all managers sign bad players from time to time - Hughes signed Mokoena, Allardyce has signed Diouf - both players that, just like Andrews, would get no where near the starting 11 if I were in charge - but whilst they receive(d) some criticism it is nowhere near the same level that Keith gets. I suggest that's the Ince factor - but maybe you have a different explanation?

I'm sure that the fact that Ince signed him doesn't help. But theres is no booing of Robinson--quite the contrary in fact or even Grella which you might expect with his injury record.The criticism of Andrews must relate to his performance. I don't think there's any comparison between Doeuf and Andrews as players by the way but that's just my opinion. I would never boo Andrews or any other Rovers player myself I think its disgusting.

Archived