BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Liverpool

"Woeful match" eh?

I guess it was, if all you were looking for was a Liverpool performance and win. There were eleven superb performances from the team in the blue and white halves - if you wanted to look for them.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They all do it, it's like they have preset statements to make after games. I read in one paper that Roy Hodgson was saying that they "coped well with Blackburns long ball approach" , but in the match we kept it on the floor most of the time.

Besides which, can anyone show we proof of how the game should be played in the rule books? Ia it mandatory to play sexy football? Are direct balls banned? We didn't play Barca football, but we kept it down, kept possession and tried to attack when we could. Infact at times we attacked too much, leaving ourselves open when Chimbonda went forward. It wasn't like we kept 10 men behind the ball! Yesterday and Wednesday I feel we lived up to our motto, ARTE ET LABORE!

On the Kalinic miss I thought good goalkeeping, an indifferent pass and a greasy pitch made life hard for the lad. He received the ball in the wrong place at the wrong time.

:blink:

eh? Sorry Tyrone but I can hardly think of a better time or place for a striker to receive the ball.

:blink:

eh? Sorry Tyrone but I can hardly think of a better time or place for a striker to receive the ball.

I've watched it a couple of times today and a little more composure would have seen him score. I can't fault him too much as he is young and hasn't played that many times for us yet. When Di Santo went through and didn't even get a shot away I was in shock for about 5 minutes. That was much worse than Kalinic missing. The one thing I will say is that both players get themselves in fantastic positions and just need to get a bit of composure and confidence. Time and experience will give them that.

"Woeful match" eh?

I guess it was, if all you were looking for was a Liverpool performance and win. There were eleven superb performances from the team in the blue and white halves - if you wanted to look for them.

This is the poorest Liverpool team I have seen for a number of years. Take away Gerrard and they would be nothing more than a top ten side. Obviously Torres makes a huge difference to the way they play - but I struggle to think of any other top 4 (possible ex-top 4 on that performance) side that relies so heavily on two players.

Over the whole match Rovers were the best team - it was only when we tired that Liverpool came into the match.

To be honest all Liverpool players should keep quiet about "ugly" football - they are one of the most boreing teams to watch. Yesterday summed it up for me - were an ultra defensive Liverpool display spoiled any chance of an entertaining spectacle over the 90 mins - no matter how Rovers tried.

As for us, another good point, especially given we'd played for so long in mid-week, and regardless of the squad Gerrard can unlock any defence with a bit of magic, the lad is world class.

A modern day myth spread by the press and media. Very good player yes, but world class? He's a country mile off that.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/22409-rovers-v-liverpool/page__view__findpost__p__847361

They all do it, it's like they have preset statements to make after games. I read in one paper that Roy Hodgson was saying that they "coped well with Blackburns long ball approach" , but in the match we kept it on the floor most of the time.

Besides which, can anyone show we proof of how the game should be played in the rule books? Ia it mandatory to play sexy football? Are direct balls banned? We didn't play Barca football, but we kept it down, kept possession and tried to attack when we could. Infact at times we attacked too much, leaving ourselves open when Chimbonda went forward. It wasn't like we kept 10 men behind the ball! Yesterday and Wednesday I feel we lived up to our motto, ARTE ET LABORE!

The media do wrongly accuse us of continual long ball football, just as we were always accused of being bully-boys (another self-perpetuating description), that much is true. Clichés designed to keep us "in our box".

I don't think it does our cause any good though when free kicks won just inside an opponents half, Robbo drags the ball back into our half of the pitch so he can launch the free kick into the box.

You are quite correct though, we have every right to mix things up. I just wish pundits and hacks would do us the dignity of admitting that we are not as one-dimensional as we are portrayed.

There may well have been times over the last year where those comments would have been appropriate but we really do not deserve that after the game on Saturday. It is unfair and Liverpool played at least as much long ball stuff as we did. As if it is a crime to kick the damn thing forward.

Real lack of class on the part of Johnson.

Glenn Johnson is talking out of his nrear end. Liverpool are currently in a serious tailspin. Borassic lint, bounced out of Europe, fortunate to beat their struggling rivals and their last but one outing was described on 5live as the worst match of the season. They turn out at Ewood with just the hard working but inept Dirk Kuyt up front, never manage to get a shot on target during the first half. I suggest that when he is making such comment that Glenn Johnson needs to look in a mirror.

I don't think it does our cause any good though when free kicks won just inside an opponents half, Robbo drags the ball back into our half of the pitch so he can launch the free kick into the box.

With 3 players over 6'3" it's a legitimate tactic.

In the BBC video link (oddly labelled bolton wanderers) Sam allardyce mentions the media stereotype at the end of his post match interview.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/8397351.stm

I don't care how poor Liverpool were supposed to be. I don't care what anyone says about 'boring football'. They can all clumsy, hit shift + 8 again!! off. It's about time we got recognition for refusing to roll over. This week we got our Rovers back. Thank G*d for that, I was getting worried for a while. Please keep this up lads. We can turn anyone over with that attitude and effort.

As for the poisonous gobshites who booed Andrews - they are beneath contempt. I'm ashamed to be supporting the same team as them. Opinions are one thing, but to actually be so brain dead as to stand up and boo one of our own players coming onto the pitch is as low as it gets. P!ss off, go away, inject something contaminated or simply crawl into a corner and die. Unforgivable.

Those people who boo'd Andrews as he came on today are a disgrace to the club.

Whether you like or dislike a player, there is no excuse for the mindless behaviour.

By all means critisise a player after the match but to boo a player, even before he's kicked a ball is inexcusable.

If you cant get behind the players, then dont call yourself a supporter of Rovers.

Nonsense.

I don't understnd why all the news sources seem to claim that it was a "bore draw" or that we played "ugly" to draw the game. It was fairly tame in the first half, but the second half was open and we were playing it along the ground for most of the time and most of our opportunities came from that, not from long balls hoofed up field. So why all this negative press coverage?

Here's an article I saw with Glen Johnson claiming we play ugly: http://www.football.co.uk/blackburn_rovers/ugly_blackburn_hard_to_beat_-_johnson_rss279434.shtml

Where did that come from? :blink:

I think you are one your own there jbn. Chimbonda is currently playing out of his skin. He is back to the player that Wigan sold. Nice to see a player who actually appears to enjoy playing football.

Chimbonda has been outstanding for us since he joined, but against Liverpool he lost the ball three times in areas where they could have scored. One in particular he gifted it to Gerrard. Also two or fhree times he was in strong attacking positions and was wasteful with the ball.

I am a big Chimbonda fan, he is world class when on song imo, but for whatever reason he seemed nervy on Sat despite being alongside two outstanding performances from the centrebacks. Hopefully he will be back on top next game. Not advocating dropping him or anything like that.

Chimbonda has been outstanding for us since he joined, but against Liverpool he lost the ball three times in areas where they could have scored. One in particular he gifted it to Gerrard. Also two or fhree times he was in strong attacking positions and was wasteful with the ball.

I am a big Chimbonda fan, he is world class when on song imo, but for whatever reason he seemed nervy on Sat despite being alongside two outstanding performances from the centrebacks. Hopefully he will be back on top next game. Not advocating dropping him or anything like that.

I advocated subbing him during the game though, I think we were lucky that he didn't prove a liability. He's been outstanding this season, but his game was filled with mistakes against Liverpool.

i thought every single player did well yesterday - if i had to be picky it was only diouf -but none of the less he did well in tracking back johnson who is a very good full back...

what happened to benni mcarthy - he actually looked good-and worked hard-not that im complaining but i thought he was brilliant yesterday ...

on to hull where we have to play like this ..proud to be a rover !!

Archived