BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Liverpool

First of all I'd like to say that I was quite suprised just how average the Livepool side we faced today where. Our good performance aside you'd expect Liverpool to cause us more problems than they did. First half especially they seemed very negative and often defended with nine men back behind the ball and relied totally on counter-attack or for Gerrard to produce something from nothing. On the subject of Gerrard, from my vantage point in the Blackburn End the second half 'penalty appeal' looked like a blantant dive from him which wouldn't be the first time. I'll happily take that back if there was indeed contact but from where I was sitting it definitley looked like a dive.

Onto Rovers, it was a performance full of effort and determination and one that easily could have easily seen us take all three points had we put away one of thoose three chances we had. Di Santo dwelled on the ball when bursting in on goal after a good pass from Nzonzi, I don't honestly know what he was waiting for surely the best option was to hit a shot across the goal and at the very least test the keeper. Then there was Benni's chance that came after a rebound from an attempted pass that so far very nearly reached an unmarked Di Santo. Then in the dying minutes Holiett raced away on the counter-attack and Kalinic couldn't convert with Reina charging out from his goal, in my opinion he should have tried to take it round the keeper.

On overall performances I thought Samba and Nelsen were terrific at the back. Chimbonda had a mixed game, Givet was steady. Midfield, Emerton was full on running as always, Nzonzi continues to excel but like I've said before if he looked up and had the confidence to carry the ball forward more often he'd be even better. Grella, who I've criticised in the past had what must be his best game in a Rovers shirt, his passing radar goes astray every now and again but his high work-rate and determination make up for that. He competed very well against a world-class midfielder in Mascherano, I'd go as far to say he had him rattled. Diouf was incredibly frustrating yet again but you can't under-estimate the amount of ground he covers and he does get back to defend. Upfront McCarthy was excellent I thought, showed the usually classy touches and link-up play and even showed a willingness to track back. Notable that once he went off we struggled to keep hold of the ball, his ability to retain possession and set the tempo of an attack can't be under-estimated. Di Santo is quickly become a dilemma his general play and work-rate his fantastic but when he gets in one-on-one position he seems to freeze and lose composure.

Sub Holiett offered us something different, but I still feel he's a little greedy at times that being said he played a perfect pass to Kalinic for that late chance. On the topic of Kalinic, he created a chance for himself with a nice turn and then there was that late chance he should have done better with. The only way he's going improve is if he gets the experience and he can only get that by playing more game.

On the Andrews boos, and I dont think they were personally directed at him rather than at the actual substitution.

I've got a reasonable suggesiton as to why the substitution was made. Andrews came on to try and restore a little bit of calm after Liverpool seemed to be getting on top towards the end of the game, he wasn't actually involved much but was an extra man in a midfield that was growing tired after Wednesday's game.

Overall I'd say a draw was about fair if you consider Liverpool crafted a few chances in the second half. MotM for me was Samba, absolutley immense yet again, the tackle that sent Lucas (think it was him) flying summed up his performance. Nelsen, Grella and Nzonzi also worth a special mention for their performances.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously the manager doesn't think so and he is the one that counts. Lets not nit pick on a great week for our team.

The manager didn't pick him for either game, so what's your point?

Anyway I'm not nitpicking, just replying to Alan's point about the booers.

Hasta

there are players, many more than you mention such as Marshall Burke, Norman bell, John Radford, Bobby Mitchell,Neil Wilkinson, Paul Round, Andy Kennedy, the list is endless. However, IN MY OPINION KA is worse.

I cant make you accept my opinion and frankly, I couldnt care less if you did.

You werent on the Bolton side of the platform were you ? If you were it would explain it all.

there are players, many more than you mention such as Marshall Burke, Norman bell, John Radford, Bobby Mitchell,Neil Wilkinson, Paul Round, Andy Kennedy, the list is endless. However, IN MY OPINION KA is worse.

The fact that no-one else agrees with your opinion should tell you something. I await your reply when the 3 pints of Stella wear off.

Our best performance of the season for me and really encouraging. Sound defence, the 2 centre mid guys excellent, Benni v good for an hour, Robbo good apart from the clearance. I just wish Di Santo didnt freeze every time he got one on one with the keeper - he's not the answer! Kalinic at the end - all a bit of a blur so will reserve judgement until MOTD although it looked like he could just roll it in.

Alternatively young man it could be that noone questions it, have you thought of it that way?

As for Stella, dont drink it, its for the junior drinkers only is it not?

I would suggest that you take time to trawl through the pages and pages of comments about how fellow fans see your bosom buddy KA. I think you will see its a majority negative. I accept that at some point he might have a good game, slide in a killer pass and maybe score a goal, the other side of the coin is that his overall performance is simply nowhere near good enough to be a Premiership midfielder.

And that just about sums it up me thinks.

'In my opinion, he is the worst player ever to don my clubs shirt in over 39 years and by chrsit have we seen some dollopers through the years.'

Oh come on where were you in the 70's and early 80's ?

Paul Round and Jack Lewis come to mind though Lewis did have an equally funny run.

This might need its own thread 'Worst players in the last 39 years particularly with funny runs'

I would suggest that you take time to trawl through the pages and pages of comments about how fellow fans see your bosom buddy KA.

I've just called him a poor player in my previous post so how could he be my bosom buddy. That just makes you look stupid and unable to justify your earlier post.

No-one agrees with you that he is the worst player in 39 years as you say. It is a ridiculous statement and you know it.

Those people who boo'd Andrews as he came on today are a disgrace to the club.

Whether you like or dislike a player, there is no excuse for the mindless behaviour.

By all means critisise a player after the match but to boo a player, even before he's kicked a ball is inexcusable.

If you cant get behind the players, then dont call yourself a supporter of Rovers.

Well said...we are holding a top club like Liverpool and might even be able to snatch a win. So how on earth is booing a player coming on going to help? Not a good way to support your team. If you need to boo someone - and I do not really understand the need to boo - at least do it when they are leaving the pitch so as not to negatively affect their confidence.

Andrews did little wrong when he came on. Now he might not be good enough...but he is still a Rover.

Hasta

You werent on the Bolton side of the platform were you ? If you were it would explain it all.

I wont argue with the rest of your post but Andy Kennedy shouldnt be on the list

Mokoena was worse. And thats the player Andrews was brought in to replace. KA has had the odd good game. Thats one odd game more then the Axe ever managed.

Decent point today, would have taken it beforehand. Big week just passed and i reckon it could have turned our fortunes around somewhat. The players should believe that we are finally getting into shape for a decent enough 2nd half of the season.

In my opinion, he is the worst player ever to don my clubs shirt in over 39 years and by chrsit have we seen some dollopers through the years.

He ranks amongst the likes of Shepstone P, Diamond A and Curry S as utter dross.

Tiresome and boring for some of you readers out there but you all know, THE TRUTH HURTS.

Peacock D is gutted at being left out of your list

What about Ward A.

Even one of my mates who cannot stand Keef had to admit that he was ever so slightly better than Ashley.

My other mate then uttered "O'Mara"!

Hasta

Gosh you've nailed some bad ones there 1864, Bobby Mitchell was dreadful - seem to think he scored the winner in Bobby Moore's last match for Fulham. Norman Bell was hopeless and Neil Wilkinson was the first of a new breed of non tacking full backs. All far worse than KA who isn't great but better than most of the above - still wouldn't replace Di Santo with KA though...........

Another excellent performance from the Rovers. We are beginning to look like a team that has very few weak links.

I mean that we have good ball playing players in every position and several are now trying to take on an opponent and beat them.

Before it was only Dunny and Bert and occasionally Samba who would have a go. Now we have in addition Benni, Franco, Pascal, Junior and Nicola.

OK it doesn't always work but it's an improvement on passing the ball like a hot potato.

My optimism is growing, as is the confidence and expertise of Steven Nzonzi. (What a find!)

Another excellent performance from the Rovers. We are beginning to look like a team that has very few weak links.

I mean that we have good ball playing players in every position and several are now trying to take on an opponent and beat them.

Before it was only Dunny and Bert and occasionally Samba who would have a go. Now we have in addition Benni, Franco, Pascal, Junior and Nicola.

OK it doesn't always work but it's an improvement on passing the ball like a hot potato.

My optimism is growing, as is the confidence and expertise of Steven Nzonzi. (What a find!)

Totally agree Bazza.

I said earlier that it was a brilliant performance and I meant it. I really can't think what our lads could have done better.

• Backroom

Couldn't make the game today, come down with some fever of some sort and feel like death but I would have taken a draw at kickoff.

Shame Kalinic didn't score but it sounds like he's still showing signs of looking like a player. Disappointing to see Diouf back in the team but I can't comment further as I wasn't there.

Back above the dingles, lets keep it that way

Special mention for Samba, who defensively speaking played maybe his best game for Rovers. Few players in the world can contain Gerrard throughout the match as well as he did (though that only encouraged Gerrard to dive around...)

I thought Nelsen and Samba together were as good as i have ever seen them.

Couldn't make the game today, come down with some fever of some sort and feel like death but I would have taken a draw at kickoff.

Shame Kalinic didn't score but it sounds like he's still showing signs of looking like a player. Disappointing to see Diouf back in the team but I can't comment further as I wasn't there.

Back above the dingles, lets keep it that way

Doeuf wasn't as bad as people are making out. There isn't anyone in our squad

I'd have started ahead of him, put it that way. Pleased to see Sam take him off before he was sent off though!

I thought Nelsen and Samba together were as good as i have ever seen them.

Doeuf wasn't as bad as people are making out. There isn't anyone in our squad

I'd have started ahead of him, put it that way. Pleased to see Sam take him off before he was sent off though!

Nelsen and Samba were fantastic but you are wrong about Diouf. He contributes the square root of f all. Hoilett would be much better.

Same old Gerrard, always cheating!

Just came home from the excellent Blackburn Rovers Oslo supporters Christmas party, what an evening. I hope the people of Blackburn take great pride in the fact that Blackburn have an excellent following in Norway!

I would have taken a 0-0 draw before the game, but in retrospect I think we should have won this one. Liverpool's a distinctly average team without Torres on the pitch.

What a gem Stephen N'Zonzi is. He never misplaces a pass, breaks up play in an excellent manner, and even has an eye for the killer pass. Genius!

I hope we will see the following team against Hull:

Robinson

Chimbonda - Nelsen - Samba - Givet

Emerton - Grella - N'Zonzi - Dunn

McCarthy - Kalinic/Di Santo

Granted, Dunn might be slightly more ineffective on the left, but I'd loathe to see us going back from the successful 4-4-2 formation to 4-4-1-1, and I think Grella/N'Zonzi were excellent in the centre of the midfield against Shitepool.

I realised that Emerton has taken over set-piece duties. Bamboozled by that to be honest, McCarthy is our best set piece taker and to be honest he would have whipped in a more dangerous delivery than Emerton today. With Liverpool's frailties with set pieces, having conceded 10+ goals, it would have made sense to let McCarthy take them.

Nevertheless, another strong and convincing performance by Rovers. I'd start with Kalinic up top VS Hull, I'm getting a bit fed up with Di Santo missing these one on one opportunities, it could well come back to haunt us come the end of the season.

I try to be fair to refs but nobody will convince me that this bgugger today did not have a pro Liverpoool bias. <_<

The referees are obviously biased. Why that is so, I don't know but teams like the Rovers get the short end consistently. Makes me suspicious of their vocal opposition to video technology. The cynic in me believes that it would be a lot harder for them to justify their one-sided calls, so they are opposed.

Doeuf wasn't as bad as people are making out.

Diouf is a drama queen who isn't half as good or as clever as he apparently thinks. I have no clue as to why he would sheperd his own ball out of play, with plenty of opportunity to reclaim it, and then carrying on like a widow at a funeral service when the obvious call goes against him. Baffling.

Archived