BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

according to my egyptian friend at work he aint too much to shout about

Shikibala is a very good player, but if we want an Egyptian player then Aboutrika is the one we should sign. Egypts best player imo, playmaker who can defend, create and score goals.

Why would Carroll come to us when he plays for Newcastle who, for all their madness are a bigger club than rovers in terms of fanbase and are about to return to the premiership barring a disaster of titanic proportions

Plus he's a donkey.

after several pints of mr smith's finest smooth relaxing fluid yesterday the conversation with my mates turned towards Burnleys confirmed relegation and the topic arose , "should rovers buy any of Burnleys players?" and this moved to a full-on adult debate

1) is there any players of burnleys good enough for rovers

2) would you want rovers money (however little ) going to burnley to help them get back in PL

3) Would we be quicker to jeer any ex-burnley players

4) who was the last player rovers bought directly from burnley

thoughts?

At a push, Eagles and Nugent.

Rovers link with 2 strikers today in the people

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=big-sam-s-in-pole-position%26method=full%26objectid=22127115%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

Maybe we should look at Andy Carroll. Score goals and can hold the ball up. just a thought. Maybe look in the championship for a striker. Somebody who is young, can score and improve in the future!!!

He is a very nice man by all accounts

Andy Carroll .......... no thanks

See Everton are being linked with Joao Silva from Desportivo das Aves. I bet on the Portuguese league quite a bit so have seen him play once or twice and he seems a very good prospect. For the figures being touted (500k-1 million) he has to be worth looking at. Certainly would be sold on for at least that price in the future, but probably reasonable to expect several times that.

I would love to see us sign Lewandowski. He's been so good in FM that I've been trying to see him to see if he is the real deal or another one of their mistakes, but he looks good. Wouldn't add much pace to what we have and if we were to play him and Kalinic up front together we would have to get pace in the midfield, but they could be an excellent partnership. He can use both feet, has good movement and is a threat in the air.

Lewandowski and Dindane, along with Kalinic and Di Santo would be good. Im stil concerned at the right wing area. Olsson down the left, has been impressive, but down the right wing nothing.

Lewandowski and Dindane, along with Kalinic and Di Santo would be good. Im stil concerned at the right wing area. Olsson down the left, has been impressive, but down the right wing nothing.

I too have been wondering about this position. We have to have an injection of pace from our wings, if we aren't going to have any pacy strikers. Olsson has shown a lot of promise out on the left wing and hopefully he can be the long term answer out there. We have players who can play on the right, but I'm not sure about how affective they are. Diouf works hard, but has no pace and has offered very little to us as an attacking player. I would like to see him moved on in the summer. Emerton can do a job on the right, but he has been at his most affective when he has been played in the middle, as he has the engine to get around the pitch. This is where I would prefer to see him played. Hoillett is another promising young player, but I don't know if he is good enough to make that position his own just yet. Hopefully we follow up our interest in Senijad Ibricic in the summer, because he could be a player with the skill and pace required, to make us more dangerous going forward. Jamie O'Hara is a player that I would like to bring in and play in the centre of our midfield. He can pass, shoot, tackle and create for other players. I would love to see our midfield and strike force for next season looking like:

Ibricic N'Zonzi O'Hara Olsson

Kalinic Lewandowski

Surely it's got to be one of Lewnadowski OR Dindane? We play 4-5-1 in the vast majority of games and already have Roberts as an option from the bench.

I'm not hugely impressed by the latter, so I'm hoping the former is a good player (he has to be at £5m). I'd prefer a striker with pace to play alongside Kalinic, but I think that's wishful thinking with Sam at the helm.

Other priorities have to be LB (and getting shot of Chimbonda), and CM (although hopefully Basturk will come good). Additions in these three positions and I can see us pushing top ten next season.

Surely it's got to be one of Lewnadowski OR Dindane? We play 4-5-1 in the vast majority of games and already have Roberts as an option from the bench.

I'm not hugely impressed by the latter, so I'm hoping the former is a good player (he has to be at £5m). I'd prefer a striker with pace to play alongside Kalinic, but I think that's wishful thinking with Sam at the helm.

Other priorities have to be LB (and getting shot of Chimbonda), and CM (although hopefully Basturk will come good). Additions in these three positions and I can see us pushing top ten next season.

Remember that we are only going to have two strikers in the summer as Di Santo is going back. Roberts is also in line for shifting. So I would imagine we are looking at 'proper' two strikers in and someone who can play wide or upfront (although Hoilett could fill this space).

Agree we need a left back. Olsson is wasted in defence and needs to move further forward. If we are getting rid of Chimbonda we are (amazingly) going to need to look for another right back as Jacobsen has disappeared (what has happend to him?) and Salgado is 34....

Creativity wise Basturk coming good/Dunn getting fit would be useful. Although unlikely. Probably before we sign any CMs we will need to shift one of Grella or Andrews somehow.

Agree we need a left back. Olsson is wasted in defence and needs to move further forward.

Surprised you think that, I hold the opposite view...if he's going to be a good Premier League player then he has to be at left back. His attributes are similar to those of other good left backs in the league (Cole, Clichy, Evra), I think he'll make an excellent attacking full back in time.

I think left midfield exposes his limitations too much, he's very one footed, doesn't like cutting inside and isn't great at supporting the front man. If he was playing 10-15 years ago he might have made a good winger (almost a Wilcox type), but that role has changed significantly now, especially for teams like us that play one up front.

I don't think we'll be going for a left back in the summer, it would be a waste of funds when other areas need fixing. We have Olsson as an attacking full back, Givet as a defensive one and Chimbonda as a kind-of half way between. Strikers, a goal scoring winger and a good central midfielder should be the priorities this summer.

Remember that we are only going to have two strikers in the summer as Di Santo is going back. Roberts is also in line for shifting. So I would imagine we are looking at 'proper' two strikers in and someone who can play wide or upfront (although Hoilett could fill this space).

Scary thought, in so much that Sam might be tempted to keep Roberts for another year. Money will undoubtedly be tight, and we're looking at two new strikers (minimum), midfield reinforcements and a new left back?

Probably before we sign any CMs we will need to shift one of Grella or Andrews somehow.

We should cut our losses with Grella, but I can't see who will take him. Perhaps a good showing at the WC will find him a suitor, but knowing our luck he'll go the way of Steven Reid and wind his contract down. As for Andrews, I honestly think he'll still be here next season: Keeps his head down, always fit, runs around a lot. Do you think Sam will be in a hurry to sell him, unless Roy Hodgon takes another Christian Dailly-esque gamble?

Surprised you think that, I hold the opposite view...if he's going to be a good Premier League player then he has to be at left back. His attributes are similar to those of other good left backs in the league (Cole, Clichy, Evra), I think he'll make an excellent attacking full back in time.

Difference is those players play for teams that can afford to have attacking full backs without leaving themselves exposed. I don't know if we can encourage the same kind of play in Olsson.

He's a tricky one - do you try to quell his attacking instincts, work on his defensive play and hope he makes it as a solid left back, or encourage the former and play him left wing?

On the plus side, we have the option in the Summer to either sign a left winger or left back, depending on who is available at the best price, thanks to Olsson's versatility.

i can't be bothered quoting and i can't remember who said it but whoever said we have to spend £5million on a striker is wrong. we have to spend whatever is right. we spent more than that on grabbi and got nothing. we spent half on mccarthy and not much more than half on santa cruz and got plenty of goals from them. don't put too much emphasis on having to spend a certain amount, concentrate on the individuals we are trying to sign.

Difference is those players play for teams that can afford to have attacking full backs without leaving themselves exposed. I don't know if we can encourage the same kind of play in Olsson.

That's true, although I think our current formation with two deep central players allows full backs to be more adventurous.

Even beyond the top teams, the likes of Baines, Shorey, Warnock etc. are better offensively than defensively. I think what is common amongst them all is that the defensive side of their game is something they had to learn, rather than something that came naturally.

He just seems a bit old fashioned as a winger, I can't see him contributing much else other than dribbling and crossing, and those kind of wingers have slowly died as the 4-4-2 formation has been replaced by 4-3-3.

I think he's our best left back at the moment anyway. Givet is a complete non-entity out there, he offers nothing going forward and is done for pace by good wingers, and Chimbonda is not playing well at the moment.

Archived