BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth Vs Blackburn Rovers

Im dissapointed we didn't get a win today, we didnt play too badly imo, conditions wouldnt have helped things but there were some positives. A defence that was impeccable(Although they were not pushed too much) We had Robbo back who gave a good confident performace. We created a few chances hit the post twice, two more or less off the line and put a very dodgy looking keeper under pressure from crosses.

Personally 4-5-1 isn't my cup of tea against a team like Portsmouth BUT if we had nicked a goal nobody would care.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only pathetic people are the ones that throw their toys out of the pram every time we get a bad result.

In all honesty, did it make you feel big to have a personal dig at Iceman over something he no doubt said in the heat of the moment?

I'm sure my opinion doesn't mean anything to you, but to me you came across as a complete and utter arse in that post.

Those teams have strikers like Rooney, Torres and Drogba. We've got Roberts .... They have midfielders like Gerrard, Lampard and Giggs - we've got Andrews. The system works if you have the personnel for it - we don't.

We've got on the verge of the top half of the table playing this way, I don't know how you can say it doesn't work.

I'll agree that it doesn't work all the time, and I too get frustrated that Sam is reluctant to try something different when it doesn't, but the fact of the matter is it works most of the time because the league shows this.

If anything our poor midfield is a reason why we have to play this formation. With most teams playing three central players, how could we compete with two of our men up against three? Having poor personnel means we can't afford to have a numerical deficit in that area.

In all honesty, did it make you feel big to have a personal dig at Iceman over something he no doubt said in the heat of the moment?

I'm sure my opinion doesn't mean anything to you, but to me you came across as a complete and utter arse in that post.

Alright, maybe I shouldn't have said it. Hardly a personal insult though is it? I just think it's bit in bad taste to get people to pay for him to come over so that he can join in with the boo boys, because from his posts that sounds like what he'd do. A bit insulting to the foreign fans on here who have a good attitude too, and there's plenty of them.

It also works the other way also, as in they don't praise him when we do well but blame it all on him when we do badly!

Not saying you're wrong but how does it go down to 8th???

5-th - automatic

6th - extra from League Cup

7th - extra from FA Cup (If Chelsea/Spurs win it)

8th - rewarded if England keep 3rd place in the fairplay league

How frustrating is Hoilett by the way?

He's excellent at running with the ball and has pace to trouble anyone, but he has absolutely no end product, be it shooting or crossing. I hope they're working hard with him in training on this.

Very. That's why I was baffled by his delay in signing a new contract - surely he must know he's nowhere near the finished article yet? If we're willing to pay him good money and wait until he develops why would he NOT sign the deal? He'd only go to a lower level and play with lesser players. There's little benefit in that long term.

5-th - automatic

6th - extra from League Cup

7th - extra from FA Cup (If Chelsea/Spurs win it)

8th - rewarded if England keep 3rd place in the fairplay league

Does that not go to the best team in the fair play league?

A further place in the UEFA Europa League is available via the Fair Play initiative. If the Premier League has one of the three highest Fair Play rankings in Europe, the highest ranked team in the Premier League Fair Play standings which has not already qualified for Europe will automatically qualify for the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round.[19]

Can't believe we did not manage to put them under more pressure at the end. We lacked quality through the middle and our final ball was poor. The conditions probably contributed to that. Sort of gaame where it would have been great to put Basturk on to create something if he was fit.

Kalinic should have been on much much earlier - however you have to also say that when he was on he was poor. Apart from blocking one of our own shots did he touch the ball?!

Hoilett was good, Grella poor. The whole defence was good- Jones and Samba outstanding again. Pedersnen's delivery improved through the game but it is hard to see how his spot wasjustified, particularly as it forces Dunn into a deeper and much less effective role.

We need a central midfielder of real quality for games like that. Loads of room but not enough imagination.

He got a header on target, but was ruled offside (he wasn't but the Rovers player behind him was). He also unleashed Hoilett down the right, who had his cross cleared from under the bar by Mullins.

I thought Grella was good. I was baffled by Sam's choice to bring N'Zonzi (far and away our best midfielder) off rather than Pedersen. Either Grella or N'Zonzi could have pushed forward and tried to create something. It would also have allowed us to go 4-4-2 (or 4-2-4 I suppose) and really put Portsmouth under pressure.

Someone like O'Hara would be fantastic in the 4-5-1 formation Allardyce loves. He has the engine to get up and down, but the quality on the ball and off it to cause teams problems too. 'Course he's way out of our price range and no doubt he's a London boy so he wouldn't be interested in a move into the great Northern wastelands.

Someone like O'Hara would be fantastic in the 4-5-1 formation Allardyce loves. He has the engine to get up and down, but the quality on the ball and off it to cause teams problems too. 'Course he's way out of our price range and no doubt he's a London boy so he wouldn't be interested in a move into the great Northern wastelands.

He would be fantastic. His performance highlighted just how anonymous Pedersen is in exactly the same role too.

Does that not go to the best team in the fair play league?

Correct - but first qualifying round starts probably before the world cup finishes, or very shortly after (could be wrong though).

I would rather everyone have a good break than start playing competitive football in July.

checked - 1st July for the first leg - does the season actually end??

Why are people so obsessed with 4 4 bloody 2?

None of the best teams in the world play it but people go on about it like it's borderline genius!

It's because it would suit our players better than 4-5-1. You need two decent pacey players out wide to support the striker - we have a converted left back (who has done OK to be fair), and Diouf who's slower than me.

Anyway, as dire as our football is I can't recall us being 0-3 down after 6 mins - thanks Burnley for making a bad result for us a little easier to bear. :tu:

He would be fantastic. His performance highlighted just how anonymous Pedersen is in exactly the same role too.

I agree with you on something! ;) He was far and away their best player at Ewood too.

I'm struggling to understand why we didn't bring on Kalinic earlier on.. first substitution baffled me- can't understand what Grella was brought on to do that N'zonzi wasn't already doing?!? instead of trying to stretch the defence we seemed to play narrower until Hoilett was brought on... disappointed with the result.. relegated team, few fit players, down to 10 men and we still didn't win

Two points lost, but a point gained...

We should have hammered them three or four nil today but when the luck isn't there it isn't there, one positive out of today's match is that we didn't lose away, so that's two away matches in succession in my book we haven't lost.

Onto the next match it is then and christ sakes the way some people on here are reacting you would have thought we had just been demolished 5 - 0, but I notice it is the same old people that creep out of the woodwork every time something doesn't go to their plan.

Same old... Same old...

I'm struggling to understand why we didn't bring on Kalinic earlier on.. first substitution baffled me- can't understand what Grella was brought on to do that N'zonzi wasn't already doing?!? instead of trying to stretch the defence we seemed to play narrower until Hoilett was brought on... disappointed with the result.. relegated team, few fit players, down to 10 men and we still didn't win

Well, Big Sam said he was going to try something new. That's something new to me at least.

• Backroom

I can't get too upset about today, we could have won and should have but all in all we are safe and got an away point, more than I dared to dream in January.

No need to go overboard about it, the talks of 'disgrace' and the likes is laughable, just what would you say if you were a dingle today?

Plus I rightly predicted the result for once

It is a premier league fixture - in this league, no result is gauranteed (except that City will beat Burnley tonight) - we were unlucky to not score but its hardly the end of the world. 1 more point, 1 more clean sheet, 1 more game without defeat.....Bring on the Mancs!!

Well it could be a lot worse I suppose (just watching Burnley). I honestly thought we might be too complacent and lose, especially with our away form. I thought Pompey's youth/new players coming in might try and prove something, and might try and play for a place in the line up for the cup game. When they went down to ten men I feared the worst because teams always try harder when they lose a man, and we seem to play down to teams. Hmmm maybe I am just a pessimist. I would have liked three points but i'm not too disappointed with the result.

Overall I am more than pleased with the results from the last games. I haven't seen the match from today yet so I can't comment on how we played, but I am happy that we are surely safe and there are positives, like another clean sheet, that I can take from this game.

On Hoilett, he reminds me a bit of Lennon of a year or two ago, lots of pace but a poor end product. Hopefully he can improve like Lennon did.

Archived