BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Preview

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was never a penalty.... whoops wrong script!

Rovers battered Villa second half, first it looked like we wanted to keep it tight. I am convinced the BBC stats for shots on target are waaaay out. 12-3 in favour of Villa! I can only remember 3 or 4 easy Robbo saves and 1 Andrews shot from us.

9 saves for Robinson according to the fantasy stats.

Timeline....

Took over a team in 20th

Kept us up

-£17m budget for the season

The loss of our legend 'Tugay'

Introduced a load of younger players & experienced Salgado

Finished 10th

Keep up the good work Rovers!

This has been a tremendous season for us. Sam has had to rebuild on the hoof and he has chosen very well with his signings.

His tactics have not always been pretty but fine results against the top teams in the league and the the blooding of youngsters with real potential bodes well for next season.

He uses the limited resources well,and if you look at what happens when you give managers gazillions,that is no guarantee of success. Citeh,Liverpool,Sunderland are good examples.

Rovers played with a passion for the last games of the season with a "rich mix of youth and experince" and that is why we are where we are.

I am proud to be a Rover. Enjoy the World Cup everyone and have a good Summer.

This has been a tremendous season for us. Sam has had to rebuild on the hoof and he has chosen very well with his signings.

His tactics have not always been pretty but fine results against the top teams in the league and the the blooding of youngsters with real potential bodes well for next season.

He uses the limited resources well,and if you look at what happens when you give managers gazillions,that is no guarantee of success. Citeh,Liverpool,Sunderland are good examples.

Rovers played with a passion for the last games of the season with a "rich mix of youth and experince" and that is why we are where we are.

I am proud to be a Rover. Enjoy the World Cup everyone and have a good Summer.

The continuing task for big Sam at Ewood has to be to bring a couple more players who wont weaken the teams ability to defend but will also bring more goals into the team easier said than done, IF, he can pull it off, then Rovers will be in for a good season next term.

Just finished watching the highlights of our game on Football First. This has got to down as our best away win of the season which was on the back of probably our best home win of the season last week, a very nice way to finish the season.

Major mentions for three players inparticularly, Firstly Hanley he had a brilliant debut and put in a couple of key tackles to prevent Villa attacks. Someone needs to tell whoever planted that centreback tree in the academy that seems to be producing these very promising young centrebacks that we could do with planting one that produces strikers as well.

Secondly Samba was superb again at the back, yes the youngsters in both Hanley and Jones have been impressive when they've played. But I think a big part to do with it is how well Samba has been playing alongside them, he's quickly becoming the leader at the back now and the added responsibility of being captain seems to have matured him somewhat and he seems a lot more assured of late. That being said he could have so easily given away a penalty for a clumsy penalty, but I think the referee decided rightly not to give it in order of balance after he didn't give a penalty to us for a blantant foul of Dunn earlier in the game.

Lastly thought Robinson was brilliant between the sticks. He's top notch at shot stopping and he showed that again today, he can sometimes struggle with his decision-making but on the whole he's had a very good season for us. It will be hard for Mr.Capello to leave him out his squad on the back of a performance like that.

The first half was very much a non-event, following on from our typical theme. I've grown wise over this season that a 0-0 scoreline is a good result for Rovers at half time because you can gurantee we always seem to play much better football in the second half, we indeed wnet on and took the game to Aston Villa in the second half. With Dunn being the main creative force going forward, Hoilett it appeared saw quite a lot of the ball but he does seem to overplay it at times but he did put Dunne under pressure to force the goal. The goal which came from a superb Olsson cross, he's quietly become a first team regular now, he puts in a good shift and if he can keep improving his attacking play we've got a real player on our hands. Interesting tactics again from Big Sam, our usual 4-5-1 (or whatever you want to call) to start the game but he was flexible enough to change it around as the game moved on and we saw Hoilett being pushed into a more central position. He also seemingly keeps trialing this three at the back (turns into a five at the back when defending) whenever we've played it in recent games we've looked comfortable enough and it i'll be interesting to see if we'll see this more next season. It would make perfect sense with the good choice in centrebacks we've got at the moment to try and operate a system involving three centrebacks.

Overall another good defensive display at the back and we looked lively enough going forward. Confirms a top 10 finish, which is a very good achievement. Hopefully with some investment in the summer, i.e. a new striker and an attacking midfield I see no reason why we can't aim to push further up the league. I've been really impressed with us in the second half of the season, we appear a much stronger defensive unit than we did earlier in the season and like I said more investment in attacking areas combined with the hopeful progression of the youngsters in the squad already I think we have plenty to look forward to next season.

Rover and out. :rover:

Yeah... because they did with Hughes, right?

Face it, Sam will be another victim of his own success. Top 10 finish on a shoestring budget is no incentive for the board to dig deeper into their pockets.

We still can hope, though.

I don't think anyone realistically thinks they'll dig into their own pockets. What we hope is that he'll be allowed to spend on players and their accompanying costs, a higher proportion of the cash we've earned than has been the case in previous seasons.

9 saves for Robinson according to the fantasy stats.

Now the season has finished would love to see that final premier league goalkeeping statistics table to see if Paul Robinson has leaped ahead of Green from West Ham in the shots saved goals conceded ratio.

Robbo has definitely had a good end to the season so surely he now justifies a trip to the world cup in the England squad.

Robbo has definitely had a good end to the season so surely he now justifies a trip to the world cup in the England squad.

He seems to be really enjoying his football at the moment. Loved the reply to us singing "England's Number 1" by him putting up 6 fingers! "England's Number 6". He deserves a place in the squad above Green.

Having been away all the weekend, I have had to wait until this morning to watch the Football First recording on Sky.

Now that I have watched it, I am well impressed by the improved and totally unexpected performance from Rovers given the number of comparitively inexperienced youngsters we had on the pitch. That was a very good all round team performance in which every man played his part (yes even Andrews), and there were no poor displays at all. Obviously some players were outstanding whilst others were more solid and reliable, which makes it a little churlish to single out some for special mention, but nevertheless I have to say I thought Dunn was outstanding and had a great game in his attacking MF role. He was quite simply too hot to hold for the Villa defenders, and how the hell the ref managed not to give a penalty for the trip by Collins and also to book Dunn for diving beggars belief.

Robbo made a number of good saves that kept us in the game and in front of him was a generally well marshalled and alert defence in which Samba was immense and really played the captain's role to perfection. Salgado also was immense and used his vast experience to perfection. He also amazed me in one incident where the Villa left winger had got a start on him out on the touch line, but Salgado set off in pursuit and actually overhauled the winger and got his tackle in. That was truly amazing and I have to unreservedly hold my hand up and admit that I was wrong after the Everton away game to say that his legs have gone. Salgado is another that just got better and better as the season wore on and well done to him and well done to Big Sam for finding another gem.

Also very impressed by the way the youngsters have been carefully introduced and nursed into a crop of very promising young players that so far have ALL looked capable of becoming very good and very valuable members of the squad for years to come if we can only hang on to them; alternatively becoming very valuable in the monetary sense on the transfer market. Jones, Samba, Ollson, Hoilett, and now the emerging Hanley all look like excellent players that will get better still with age and experience; we REALLY MUST hang on to these players as long as we can.

All in all yesterday's performance was very creditable to all concerned and so I will say a "very well done" to all the players and to BigSam and his back-room team as well. Looking forward to next season with great anticipation!!

I thought yesterday's game typified the short comings in MON.

In a game whereby Villa had little chance to change their final league position and one in which we potentially could have slipped down to 13th.

One manager chose to hand debuts to two young lads, plus continue to give invaluable experience to others (Hoilett & Jones); experiment with formations which ended up with two 18 year old lads at the heart of our defence.

The other manager did not and stuck with the same old players and formation which is based upon catching the opposition on the break.

Bit late for commments but anyway...

I though we did fantastically well today and it just about summed up where Sam has been trying to take us this season.

The first half wasn't the most enyoyable (Especially the first 30) as they camped in our half and kept pushing us further back. I thought to myself after a while though that considering Villa's lightning pace on the break this was probably partly down to our own tactics rather than just Villa's play. For all their possession they struggled to create anything that threatening other than Collins from a corner and the same man again from range. As the half time whistle blew I was thinking this game was there to be won, they had been the better side but for all their time on the ball Robbo had had a fairly quiet afternoon, at least so far.

The second half we started using the ball a lot better and actually getting at Villa. I thought Dunny among other started well by looking to take the opposition on but kept his head up and looked for the pass when the time was right. Villa seemed a bit shocked by this start to the game and had perhaps expected us to sit back and try to play for the 0-0.

We still were not exactly taking many risks or throwing players forward at will but the defenders continued to defend well, Samba was a rock for 90 minutes, and then when we got the ball we looked to take that extra second to see if anything was on. There seemed to be that little bit more concentration and our composure about our play. Even the hoofs seemed to be a little more weighted into space rather than just kick it as hard as you can as long as it gets out of our half. Roberts did very little but his running off the ball putting pressure on defenders can be the difference between this sort of 'negative' tactic working away from home.

We pressed them well and as the game went on it became slightly more open. They were still pushing the game but whenever they did get the chance Robinson seemed to be there and was another who had a decent game. We changed to 3-5-2 by the looks with Junior seemingly joining Roberts up there, with pace now at front it seemed like we we starting to push them back a little more and once again at the back we coped well with everything they threw at us, even with a new formation and 2 eighteen year old center backs. (I barely noticed Hanley which although isn't quite as flashy as Jones's debut, it suggests to me he had a quiet but steady game.)

Then the goal came from a great ball by Olsson who has come on leaps and bounds this year since moving to midfield. The ball was one of those curved arching crosses which goes between the defender and goalkeeper that you just need a touch on to send it flying into the net, thankfully for us it came from Dunn(e), Richard that is.

Perhaps it was because it was last game of the season, maybe it was because I knew a draw would still keep us 10th but during the final 5 minutes of the game I'm pleased to say I didn't get that nervous, 'We're going to throw it away' feeling. We defended well for the closing stages and didn't just resort completely to 'Anywhere will do' tactics.

Overall as I said I think the game and the result summed up our season well and probably had Sam delighted with a littl, 'I told you so' smirk on his face.

We defended well and were hard to beat concentrating on not giving away an easy goal or making a sloppy mistake. Then as the game went on we looked to catch them off guard and press the game a little more to them and then when we make a few good chances we have to make sure we take it. We then got that little bit of luck that you sometimes need by having Dunne be the one who got us the goal. Have to make a mention to Keith, thought he had a solid game today and used the ball well, worked hard and had one of his better performances for us. Salgado's experience is vital at times, he just seems to know when to keep it, when to pass it and when to hoof it and get rid!

It seems to be that's how Sam has been getting us to play in the majority of games this season, today was the day that we actually got that kind of tactic working to perfection. It's not always pretty and the annoying thing is one goal can completely throw the gameplan out of the window, but when it does work it is strangely rewarding in a kind of, 'Haha you threw everything you had at us but can't break us and then we go and score just like that' kind of way.

I think we definitely need to add a bit more flexibility to the team and ensure we don't use this tactic all the time (E.G. Wolves at home) but I can't knock it today as it worked a treat and ultimately it got us to 10th in the league so what more can you ask for? I look at the table and I see Birmingham above us which irks me a fraction but then they are on level points with us so it's no big deal. I then see the other 8 teams and think if anyone expected us to finish above any of those this year considering the players and resources they have available then you are a mad man. You can certainly criticse the way Sam has gone about things this year as everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think hardly anyone can criticse what he has achieved in terms of league position this year.

I have to admit, I was anti Sam at first but have to admit he probably has it right with regards to the tactics he uses for Rovers...We qwill never have millions to spend and does the best with what he has...he is building the basis of a good side and I have high hopes to do a little better next season...I had a great day out at Villa despite the Knob heads who threw stones at the coaches...

After slating Sam for most of the season I have to tip my hat and say he has done a remarkable job. It seems he finally became a little adventurous once we were safe. I hope next season we don't have to suffer with the dour footy till we amass 40 points. I really like the nice blend of youth and experience we have. I love the fact we have a few players who seem to give their all for the team, Salgado has been a breath of fresh air for me he backs down form no one and on the ball just has so much composure you can see the quaility. Looking forward to next season now, get rid of Peds and Andrews. Hopefully Jones will continue to develop. Those pesky dingles are once again dispatched to lower league footy and may they stay there, or continue to slide and if Blackpool can replace them that will do for me.

Happy with a top half finish. Now bring on the World Cup, June 12th could be a fun day here.

We seem to like finishing 6th, 10th and 15th !

since 2002, we have finished 10th and 15th 3 times each.

We also came 6th twice...

Overall Premier League Table

We're the 9th best team in the history of the Premier League. This despite not being in it for a couple of years. I reckon we could go above Newcastle next season. I doubt we'll drop any lower than 9th though next season, that would take some real doing.

Bit annoyed with Man City after they lost at burnley.

I thought yesterday's game typified the short comings in MON.

In a game whereby Villa had little chance to change their final league position and one in which we potentially could have slipped down to 13th.

One manager chose to hand debuts to two young lads, plus continue to give invaluable experience to others (Hoilett & Jones); experiment with formations which ended up with two 18 year old lads at the heart of our defence.

The other manager did not and stuck with the same old players and formation which is based upon catching the opposition on the break.

O'Neill is a bit of a media darling and seemingly imune from critism. His teams have hammer throwers at the back who hoof it long for hammer throwers up front and sprinters to feed on the scraps. Villa also rely heavilly on set pieces, the sort of stuff Allardyce gets crucified for.

Archived