BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover: End game ?

Glenn

I see nothing good about this takeover. The publicly-stated funds available in January to rescue what, by then, may well be fairly dire position in the league, are pathetic. Even the Trustees would probably put as much in to prevent the value of the club collapsing to zero or less if relegated. Venkys either have no available funds (in which case why are being allowed to purchase?) or they have no realistic idea of what the EPL is about. I'm not fussed about naming rights for Ewood Park but I am worried that all their interviews cite the PR benefits of the deal to themselves as the main reason for the acquisition. We can only hope that either the deal falls through or Venkys realise pdq that releagtion is an event to be avoided at all costs. I just cannot understand why anyone would make an investment of this size (particularly in relation to their - lack of- wealth) and not take action to avoid it all going down the pan within months. It is worrying that Venkys either don't have the funds (as I suspect) or, if they do, seem to think that a cheapskate approach will do the job in January. I suspect Mrs Desai and her siblings are in a for a white knuckle ride in 2011 - as we all are.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very weak re-hash, probably planted by someone from a rival camp. Or an unhappy rival agent.

Like it or not, the club's sale is going through. Probably next week.

VH are just getting the treatment - like Syed and Shah did before them.

I don't think it will put off the sellers. They are just fed up and want rid.

The Premier League don't seem bothered either...fuss about not very much.

Hmmm.... so, how long does a 'showcase' last? How would this work with the current rules on numbers of players registered / in squad, transfer windows and number of clubs players can be registered with during a single season...? It's not the kind of model that I'd be comfortable having Rovers being guinea pig for, and until there is a plan in place which effectively deals with even these basic issues, I'd prefer new owners who actually do things in a conventional / traditional way.

That said, I'd also like to think Rovers would continue to punch above their weight in the Premiership for many more years, and its clear that the current set up isn't conducive to that.

Catch 22, methinks.

In my opinion I can only imagine that the showcase footballers will be youngsters who wouldn't need to be registered due to their age but they would benefit from our excellent training facilities and coaching as well as being given an opportunity to push for a first team place, similar to how Jones, Olsson, N'Zonzi etc have all grabbed their chance in the first team.

Obviously I don't know what their plans are so I can only base it on our current team and our current policy but if it means we get the best players from weaker leagues around the world in a hope they will look good playing for us so they can move on to the big clubs then to me that sounds like a good situation for us because if they're impressing big clubs then that means they're doing well for us. If they aren't doing well for us then they won't get picked.

Just when you think there's light at the end of the tunnel...

So now we're going to have another 20+ pages of Nicko being the anti-christ, before he posts another article saying the complete opposite and Philipl/Kamy/BPF etc will take his place.....this is getting very boring :mellow:

The Mail seem to have a lot of interest in Rovers over the past season, never before have I read so many things in the Mail about Rovers, as someone made a new friend somewhere?

Also I dont recall anywhere that Nicko has ever been against the VH group in anyway, shape or form, in fact he probably has been more for them than the others.

It's a very weak re-hash, probably planted by someone from a rival camp. Or an unhappy rival agent.

I don't think it will put off the sellers. They are just fed up and want rid.

I sincerely hope that is just a throw away comment.

Also a poster on another board has been hounded all day for info on Kentaro by various sources, he is an ex scout for some big clubs, However when we talked about Kentaro he refused any info, which is exactly what the sources got as well.

Very strange that all this Kentaro stuff should suddenly make the headlines, sounds like someone is trying to upset the apple cart.

As they say what's good for the goose .............

I was about to post this.

Far from signed and sealed yet.

Sounds like Nicko's articles have made the trust re-think their position.

Nice work :)

Indeed, this is a huge decision for BRFC and I'm not entirely convinced personally, mainly based on that first interview. Some of it could possibly be explained as misquoted, but I'd say much of it was naivety.

The Daily mail article is very short and doesn't goes into alot of detail! I am very sure that rovers would have ask the VH Group what their plans are for the club and thought they are right for the club. Also sure the group will let JW carry on has Chairman and Big Sam has manager. I don't see the point of changing the chairman when he is the best in English Football and they have to give Big Sam till the end of next season to improve the squad. He hasn't spend alot of money and I think if he could spend 10 million in January and 15 million in the summer to reshape the side to give us more flair and attacking options.

Do you seriously believe we will get £25mil over the next 12 months? I'm not so sure, but I hope you're right.

As everyone is aware, I posted a highly positive profile about VH from a financial analyst right from the moment they were first publicly identified and the record of the Trust and the board of Blackburn Rovers is such, that I instinctively support them- they deserve it.

However, I was massively alarmed when I read that a bank was financing the take over but accepted their assurance that this was coming from their own resources. But having followed the very sensible posts made by people whose day job is financial numbers I am left pretty clear in my mind that whilst the total size of VH Group is somewhat hidden, it is not that big.

Critically VH does not look to be big enough or sufficiently profitable for there to be £46m in spare cash hanging around for a cheque next Thursday. Of course the family will be worth more than £46m- a lot more- but wealth will be in investments and other assets that are not that easily liquidated. So whilst the intention of the family is undoubtedly to fund the Rovers takeover from the family's assets, what is the reality this coming Thursday?

Is a bridging loan going into place until cash is freed up?

And if there is, will it be secured against the shares in the Rovers?

These two questions need to be answered if for no other reason than even a bridging loan with the Rovers club collateralised to a semi-publicly owned bank in India with eye wateringly high interest rates is a totally unacceptable risk so far as I am concerned.

The Financial Times in India is a highly respected newspaper and I have seen no retraction of the statement that IBICI Bank are financing the deal- please tell me there has been one. They would undoubtedly print a correction which would have flowed from the denial made in the LT over here.

My unease is exacerbated by the PR from Venky's which has been pretty shambolic this week to be fair. I have been very busy so have just read all the statements from them one after another and I am left pretty confused as to what is happening or planned here beyond:

- the funds for January when we could be staring relegation in the face will certainly be limited (that would be consistent with a bridging loan needing to be cleared)

- Ewood Park naming rights are probably already under the hammer in India currently

- they will be hands on and the futures of John and Sam are not decided which to my cynical mind means we are being told nicely they are both leaving

- Kentaro is remarkably absent from the remarks

Regardless of some confused messages suggesting they don't really know what they are letting themselves in for (4000holes is pretty accurate), I have warmed enormously to Mrs Desai. She seems to be a quite remarkable business leader and I feel we will be in safe hands with her. Her two brothers raise rather more questions though.

But then to really confuse the matter, we have had nicko's run of posts which read as though he is talking about a completely different takeover except from having been rather more clear here and in the national press that Sam has little future at Ewood.

Kentaro and Venky's "are joined at the hip" according to nicko and indeed the Venky's people are not that knowledgeable about PL football so are leaving it all to Kentaro to sort out. Indeed the Kentaro brochures of used footballers and wonder kids (work permits not withstanding) is being flashed around the Ewood boardroom as I type this if nicko is to be believed.

And yet everything I hear about Kentaro from people who know far more about football agencies than I do screams Rovers will be Pompey mark 2 if they are involved.

I am sorry but I am confused about what is in the public domain regarding this Venky's/Kentaro bid and all my unanswered questions point to serious reasons for concern.

I know fans have grown tired and exhausted by this saga but now is the time of maximum danger and the need for the greatest vigilance.

Daily Telegraph- late doubts about takeover

As everyone is aware, I posted a highly positive profile about VH from a financial analyst right from the moment they were first publicly identified and the record of the Trust and the board of Blackburn Rovers is such, that I instinctively support them- they deserve it.

However, I was massively alarmed when I read that a bank was financing the take over but accepted their assurance that this was coming from their own resources. But having followed the very sensible posts made by people whose day job is financial numbers I am left pretty clear in my mind that whilst the total size of VH Group is somewhat hidden, it is not that big.

Critically VH does not look to be big enough or sufficiently profitable for there to be £46m in spare cash hanging around for a cheque next Thursday. Of course the family will be worth more than £46m- a lot more- but wealth will be in investments and other assets that are not that easily liquidated. So whilst the intention of the family is undoubtedly to fund the Rovers takeover from the family's assets, what is the reality this coming Thursday?

These two questions need to be answered if for no other reason than even a bridging loan with the Rovers club collateralised to a semi-publicly owned bank in India with eye wateringly high interest rates is a totally unacceptable risk so far as I am concerned.

The Financial Times in India is a highly respected newspaper and I have seen no retraction of the statement that IBICI Bank are financing the deal- please tell me there has been one. They would undoubtedly print a correction which would have flowed from the denial made in the LT over here.

My unease is exacerbated by the PR from Venky's which has been pretty shambolic this week to be fair. I have been very busy so have just read all the statements from them one after another and I am left pretty confused as to what is happening or planned here beyond:

- the funds for January when we could be staring relegation in the face will certainly be limited (that would be consistent with a bridging loan needing to be cleared)

- Ewood Park naming rights are probably already under the hammer in India currently

- they will be hands on and the futures of John and Sam are not decided which to my cynical mind means we are being told nicely they are both leaving

Regardless of some confused messages suggesting they don't really know what they are letting themselves in for (4000holes is pretty accurate), I have warmed enormously to Mrs Desai. She seems to be a quite remarkable business leader and I feel we will be in safe hands with her. Her two brothers raise rather more questions though.

But then to really confuse the matter, we have had nicko's run of posts which read as though he is talking about a completely different takeover except from having been rather more clear here and in the national press that Sam has little future at Ewood.

Kentaro and Venky's "are joined at the hip" according to nicko and indeed the Venky's people are not that knowledgeable about PL football so are leaving it all to Kentaro to sort out. Indeed the Kentaro brochures of used footballers and wonder kids (work permits not withstanding) is being flashed around the Ewood boardroom as I type this if nicko is to be believed.

And yet everything I hear about Kentaro from people who know far more about football agencies than I do screams Rovers will be Pompey mark 2 if they are involved.

I am sorry but I am confused about what is in the public domain regarding this Venky's/Kentaro bid and all my unanswered questions point to serious reasons for concern.

I know fans have grown tired and exhausted by this saga but now is the time of maximum danger and the need for the greatest vigilance.

So basically you have "warmed to Mrs Desai" and feel "we are in safe hands with her" but then you're not? Same old.......

The only way we'll end up as Pompey Mark 2 is if we follow their model (and City's, and others) and spend more than 100% of turnover on player wages. Our wage bill is already too high without increasing income - which means us fans putting more money into the club through ticket and shirt sales.

Of the four potential owners of Blackburn Rovers on 1 Jan 2011, who would you rather have?

VH Group

Walker Trust

Ali Syed

Shah

I've got my reservations about all of them, but I've ranked them in order. VH has a solid, out in the open business behind the bid, with provable income. Concerned about the long term with them in charge - if we lose money and finish bottom 8 a couple of years in a row, and fail to make inroads into India, will they sell up?

Walker Trust are not going to put any money in and we're likely to go down, if not this year then next, IMO.

Ali Syed's sources of funds have been called into question and his "people" have not provided any satisfactory answers. He's still telling the press he wants to buy the club, but various papers via club sources say they've barely heard from him in weeks.

Mr. Shah seems to be something of a character. Think that one's best left alone.

I wish more people would take note of posts like this.

The situation presented in clear, non biased terms.

Chaddy, you are just desperate for a takeover, the details don't matter to you.

There are still huge, huge holes in all of this for me. This is highly speculative but can we be totally sure that the decision to sell to VH wasn't based around the supposed fact that they offered the trust the most cash?

So basically you have "warmed to Mrs Desai" and feel "we are in safe hands with her" but then you're not? Same old.......

You obviously lead a very simple monochrome life.

People on this board should stop messing about, it potentially hampers the progress. The trust wants to sell - deal with it

But to which bidder now?

Exactly! Not trying to squeeze all possible positivity out of this. VH need to be questioned constantly until they can fully satisfy all concerns. This is our club and the wrong decision could destroy it.

This is becoming unbearable, every time an article comes out 5 or 10 people start the bandwagon and jump on it.

Whether or not we are took over there had better be some money be made available in January because from a fans point of view this crap is becoming to wear thin right now and our club is in serious danger of losing its premiership status.

I have never known takeovers drag on so long, its in danger of becoming a real joke and a waste or time, it has to be playing on Sams mind and the players minds now.

Please end this one way or another because the team needs this like a hole in the head.

This is becoming unbearable, every time an article comes out 5 or 10 people start the bandwagon and jump on it.

Whether or not we are took over there had better be some money be made available in January because from a fans point of view this crap is becoming to wear thin right now and our club is in serious danger of losing its premiership status.

I have never known takeovers drag on so long, its in danger of becoming a real joke and a waste or time, it has to be playing on Sams mind and the players minds now.

Please end this one way or another because the team needs this like a hole in the head.

And thinking like that landed Liverpool with Gillett and Hicks.

And thinking like that landed Liverpool with Gillett and Hicks.

Fair enough, but im worried about the effects on the team, nobody likes to work under uncertainty and im sure this must be effecting Sam and the players by now.

Surely more people could be hired or more hours worked to get the job done.

Do I have a job or not? Not a nice feeling is it, that kind of thing does'nt help us on the field where it really matters.

Its the conservative Indian busnessmen going into the unknown mad, mad, financial world of the English premiership, which week on week, year on year, continually having its running costs increased at a level way, way, way, above inflation.

Will this be ideal for them and will they be ideal for us? it could be a disaster especially if they thought they could reduce paying players salaries in order to make a bit of a profit at Rovers.

Not at all. It benefits nobody..

The trust potentially lose 6 months of trying to sell the club and the potential buyers run the risk of not being seen fit enough to buy it whilst not having power to make key decisions.

IT SUITS NOBODY.

Did this really need spelling out to you?

The fact that Syed didn't complete the takeover despite promising the earth, moon and the stars tells me that the Trust clearly vetted him and didn't like all the answers they got.

Now if they have found a prospective owners who appears to be able to answer all questions put to them then I am quite happy to trust their judgement.

These suitors have been heavily vetted over the past few months and only those involved in the deals know all the facts. No amount of google inspired PI work will change my mind either way.

I look forward to this matter being put to bed this coming week :)

The timing of this is questionable, the club in their statement pretty much said that the club will be sold to the VH Group once the premier league checks are complete and the papers are signed. Looks like someone is trying to derail the process- probably a rival bidder. Wasn't it Shah and Syed that said they were still in it today in the LT?

If it's really true that the trust have decided to not sell to the VH Group then i hope they bin Syed and Shah as well. Shah never had the money in the first place and Syed clearly can't answer a number of questions or meet some of the things he promised otherwise the club would be going to him.

I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning Plan B. He has never shown any interest in investing in us (I don't think he has the capital) and I believe he is an Arsenal fan anyway.

Since when did Hughesy become an Arsenal fan?

Archived