BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover: End game ?

Glenn

As for the games in India all possible, sponsor usually picks up the tab of those invited, who would be inviting us. (Venky's)??

Did Kentaro not do a deal recently for one of the African nations for the Brazil team, cost circa 1m to their government just for the team to appear.

Charge 100 IRS x 100,000 and let the the sponsors, advertising and Indian media companies pay top dollar for the privilege. :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview with prospective new owner - Blackburn will play in India

What are your plans on bringing EPL teams to India either for promotional purposes or for matches to increase the visibility of your group and products?

Blackburn Rovers will, of course, play in India also. The timing and other details will be worked out in due course

Is this achievable in a country where the average yearly wage is £313?

I think most of our fans exceed that amount in disposable income every month.

You make a reasonable point BPF but its not about the mean average income of the whole population it is about the smaller proportion but still many millions of Indians who have a much bigger disposable income. India is a country with huge differences between rich and poor as any visitor to Mumbai will testify. Also the image rights are worth a bob or two (or in this case a rupee or four) to Indian companies.

Think we sold off part of the kit a few years ago (that bit on the front in the middle)?

AS for renaming the ground, thats no big deal to me as long as it was the right company (something corporate would be fine). Besides which we would all call it Ewood anyway. How many people sit in the walkersteel / frazer eagle stand - I reckon 90% still call it the Riverside anyway?

Agree about renaming the ground or elements of it, it is money that generates success on the pitch not the ground name. It will remain Ewood Park to most fans as that is where we are based.

Just a thought about this takeover....

If we had no debts - then it would save us almost £2.5m a year

The last accounts also showed around £3m profit (based on a £4.5m profit from player sales - however we now also recieve an extra £5-6m a year in TV money)

So debt free - the club should at least £5-6m profit if it finishes around 10th.

The VH Group then need to look at a number of potential money spinners....

• Lucrative pre-season games in India, perhaps 4 pre-season games - this should earn us £5m+, also increased exposure, potential new fans & some extra merchandise sales.
  • A marquee signing to help us in other areas of the world? Someone like Honda perhaps! :P
  • Next up they need a new shirt sponsor - now obviously BIG indian companies are probably our best bet here to increase our revenues (Fulham were getting £4m a season from LG) - around a £2.5m increase on our deal with Crown
  • Next up kit sponsor - Chelsea's is around £20m a season, Liverpool's £15m - clubs like ours is more like £1m, so we really need to get some exposure to push this up...Spurs get £4m a season from Puma, Villa get £3.3m from Nike.
  • You then have stand sponsorship (no sponsor at moment since Walkersteel pulled out)..so potential extra cash there
  • Potential to sell the naming rights...(Leicester got just £1.5m total - thats pathetic, Arsenal get £6.66m a season, bolton originally got £2.5m a season off Reebok)
  • A bigger, better radio deal - as the last one hasnt been renewed

Tin hat time no doubt...but surely the sort of stuff VH group need to be looking at, thats excluding profits on potential stars taken from Kentaro agency.

Great to have ideas/plans, it’s another thing to implement and make a lot of money out of them.

What if these plans don’t work out?

Yes it is - would say it is the natural view to take (for me anyway!)

I'd take the other option, John.

None of us know what the future will hold, so it's best, in my view, to look for the positive aspect of this take over.

Nothing in the world can be guaranteed, so why not look to the positive rather than the negative.

What's the worst that can happen?

Nothing much in today LT

Syed & Shah still want Rovers, Shah locked in talks with his lawyers yesterday about reviving his deal, Syed says he will get shares to fans - however the LT understand talks between him & Rovers have been very few & far between.

LT also understand that the Venkys deal is more or less complete & its just a case of dotting the i's & crossing the T's.

Great to have ideas/plans, it’s another thing to implement and make a lot of money out of them.

What if these plans don’t work out?

It is alot of hard work, but surely the things that VH group need to look at.

No good standing still, weve done that for the last few years, and now without either investment or improvements we wont last in the top league much longer

LT this mornng-

Shah and Syed in last ditch attempts to buy Rovers.

Syed not told his bid is dead and believes he has agreements still in place with the Trust.

Philip,

Do you have the link to the Syed article in the LT? It keeps crashing when I open the site.

Cheers

Yes it is - would say it is the natural view to take (for me anyway!)

And me. I know that we are beggared if we do and beggared if we don't but imo there is a strong whiff of farce and deception about all this. Too many questions to be answered, too much that doesn't quite stack up. My spidey senses are tingling.

I don't want to be a doom merchant but imo BRFC ..... sorry 'India United' :rolleyes: will never be the same club again.

I'd take the other option, John.

None of us know what the future will hold, so it's best, in my view, to look for the positive aspect of this take over.

Nothing in the world can be guaranteed, so why not look to the positive rather than the negative.

What's the worst that can happen?

Pompey for a start!!

And me. I know that we are beggared if we do and beggared if we don't but imo there is a strong whiff of farce and deception about all this. Too many questions to be answered, too much that doesn't quite stack up. My spidey senses are tingling.

I don't want to be a doom merchant but imo BRFC ..... sorry 'India United' :rolleyes: will never be the same club again.

Pompey for a start!!

[removed]

This is nothing like Portsmouth.

This is an organisation that is trying to transfer it's heritage, and trying to do it in a dignified way.

Take your hatred of anything that's not white away from these boards. Set up your "Lancashire United" boards and post on there.

To use an Australian colloquialism Wrack off [removed]

[removed]

This is nothing like Portsmouth.

This is an organisation that is trying to transfer it's heritage, and trying to do it in a dignified way.

Take your hatred of anything that's not white away from these boards. Set up your "Lancashire United" boards and post on there.

To use an Australian colloquialism Wrack off [removed]

Hate anything that is not White ay, usual nonsense aimed at posters that don't fall in line with multiculltural think, what 'drog is saying had some valid points, he has concerns and is stating them.

There's nothing wrong with being circumspect about the club changing hands into foreign ownership. Better that than to be a gormless unquestioning enthusiast.

Our prospective owner has made encouraging noises, but talk is cheap. These are owners with no local ties to the area, who wouldn't be taking the club on if they couldn't make money out of it (whether that is the club itself providing a profit, or money sunk into the club representing a PR budget providing a profit for other companies within the group). They're not taking on the club because they are fans of it.

The whole thing makes me deeply uneasy. I've been able to feel a little smug as Portsmouth, Liverpool, Man Utd were taken into teh hands of people seeking to make a profit out of them. I'm not characterising Venky's as having similar intentions to, eg the Glazers, however my point is that I always thought we wouldn't be held hostage to the whims of a foreign corporate body who eyes us up as a good commercial opportunity. I always thought the Trust had our best interests at heart.

Talk of them considering re-naming the ground (whether this is actually true, or chinese whispers, or lost in translation, is not clear) does not help my mood one bit. Part of what makes this club special is the continuity, the heritage. I wonder what would've happened if Old Trafford had become Microsoft Windows Trafford? And before someone tries to poke holes in my argument, I know the situation is slightly different here. But would Man Utd fans have said "Oh well, it'll help pay off the Glazers' loan, and in any case, we'll still call it Old Trafford."

I hope my worry is ill-justified but we will have to see.

I wonder if Jack would've sold the club to Venky's if he were still alive?

Archived