BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Rovers Boss

Im not really a betting sort of guy but on the William Hill website I click the link for veiw all options for next Blackburn Manager and it says no longer available? Surely this could mean somthing? I also can't find a link on the skybet site for our next manager. Or maybe Im just being stupid

http://news.williamhill.com/a/football/jol-y-good-timing-for-martin-to-rove-to-blackburn/

The major bookies apart from Betfair dont leave their books up overnight, theres not enough staff to change the odds if news comes out overnight etc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maradona would make sense from a publicity perspective, but from a tactical one? Bloody ludicrous. He can motivate his players maybe, but he's tactically inept. How would he setup our team anyway? Our team is devoid of any attacking or creative talent, our entire strength lies in our defensive depth.

I can see this working only if the owners bring in a top quality backroom staff to assist Maradona, especially as far as tactics are concerned.

Maradona would make sense from a publicity perspective, but from a tactical one? Bloody ludicrous. He can motivate his players maybe, but he's tactically inept. How would he setup our team anyway? Our team is devoid of any attacking or creative talent, our entire strength lies in our defensive depth.

I can see this working only if the owners bring in a top quality backroom staff to assist Maradona, especially as far as tactics are concerned.

The thing is that Diego tend to argue with and then just sack the experienced backroom staff who are supposed to do the tactical work for him... As said before, there is no way that appointment is going to end up in any other way than a complete trainwreck.

For me I would like any of these in no particular order:

Martin Jol - Good manager and good reputation

Gus Poyet - Up and coming, articulate, doing wonders at Brighton - less of a risk than Ince ever was.

David Moyes - Good manager, gone as far as he can with Everton.

Maradona, motivation, how can you motivate players via a interpretor. A whole new meaning to lost in ......... catastrophe!

He wouldnt need to speak the lingo, he's treated like a God wherever he goes. I suspect that extends to players.

Not that I agree that it is a good move. But I doubt it would take much to be motivated to play for Maradona, he's a legend in the game whether you like him or his tactics or not.

When the club was sold there was a document on the official site that contained what Venkys must do, was one of those terms that they coudnt change management? meaing JW and big Sam before a certain date without prior consent from the trust? If so does that mean the trust approved it?

Venky's are into pharmaceuticals right, maybe they invented a pill that makes him 25 again and we're gonna play him just in front of Andrews?

Even without a pill, he's probably still outscore and create more than any of our midfielders now...

Maybe, Venky is looking for him to be a player-manager. That'll get us a high profile manager and solve our playmaker problem at one shot! :lol:

Why is Maradona such a bad idea?.

Executed properly,it could bring you untold riches & exposure.

Maradona paired with top coaches could be a masterstroke.

You would sell out every week & everyone in Argentina would buy a Rovers shirt.

Thousands of people would travel from Argentina to watch your home games.

The worlds press wanting to get into your ground would fill the little stand alone.

Big Phil. Scolari! Scolari! Scolari!

Just get Guus Hiddink in, problem solved.

Scolari or Hiddink would be an excellent choice. Steady and experienced.

But at least with Holloway we would be pi**ing ourselves and playing attacking football LOL

Holloway would be a run away train. 50% that we run off the track and 50% that we break speed records and win trophies. While I would have to medicate myself, part of me would appreciate the ride.

BFS was never a "Rovers" man either, but he was building a team, he formed a strong team unit, and at least gave us some stability. Sacking your manager for 1-2 bad results and turning to Jonny Foreigner or whoever is going to replace him is counterproductive and makes a joke out of the club's values. This is what seperated us from clubs like Man City and Newcastle.

I agree with this.

The very last one I want to see as Rovers manager or even of ANY English club would be Maradona.

Maradona would be Holloway on steriods.

Owen Coyle would fit it much better though!!

Personally, I think Sam is better than Coyle.

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Highly overrated. When has he last achieved anything of note, other than cashing large checks for doing not much?

It's been a long day and I need my bed.

I heard the Maradona thing last week - via a very well-informed chap - and thought it was some kind of kid-on.

However the concept of bringing in someone who would put the owners on a worldwide map makes sense.

The only question is what role they see the wee man playing. Manager, technical director, who knows.

Why is Maradona such a bad idea?.

Executed properly,it could bring you untold riches & exposure.

Maradona paired with top coaches could be a masterstroke.

You would sell out every week & everyone in Argentina would buy a Rovers shirt.

Thousands of people would travel from Argentina to watch your home games.

The worlds press wanting to get into your ground would fill the little stand alone.

Maradona would bring us international intention, which is desirable from a marketing stand point, at least short term. However, Maradona without Rovers success would be a disaster from a marketing stand point long term, both for Venkys and Maradona (not to mention the Rovers). To make it work, it would have to be Maradona plus Scolari, Hiddink, Moyes or some other steady PL hand. It would maximize Venkys international exposure and would maintain that exposure as the Rovers challenged for Europe. I might even swallow my anger about Sam's sacking and would regret the angry thoughts I've directed toward Venkys.

Taking that a step forward, Maradona as [figurehead] manager coupled with some bright spark with a Rovers past, such as Grayson, as assistant [but de facto] manager, might be the way to: 1) grab and hold international attention; 2) bring around Rovers' fans; and, 3) improve the prospects that 1 and 2 are long lasting propositions.

But they'll screw it up. It will be Maradona plus Erickson or some other big name that lacks any real substance.

My initial reaction is that The Rao's will ideally want someone who is a huge "name" to boost both theirs and the Club's profile.

If the sky truly is the limit then in pure footballing terms I'd go for Hiddink. If we're looking purely and simply for glamour Maradona would bring us unprecedented exposure but would be a huge gamble even with experienced aides on board and everyone would be watching us purely in the hope we fail. The same sort of effect might be achieved by hiring Beckham and an experienced older hand, could be less risky and would result in us being perceived in a better light.

The other sort of names with the profile I would imagine would appeal to the Raos are Jol, Sven, Klinsman and Rijkaard.

If we end up with someone who is worse than Sam and a low profile to boot, Jewell, Curbishley etc. that is the time to start worrying.

Also, just to qualify for the World Cup under Maradona, Argentina had to score an injury time goal vs Peru or something of the sort.

Taht's incorrect.... Argentina had to go into Montevideo's Centario stadium and beat Uruguay--- just by the skin of their teeth. But neatly done nonetheless. Uruguay, if you'll recall IS NOT a bad side.

But they'll screw it up. It will be Maradona plus Erickson or some other big name that lacks any real substance.

Sven could be a go'er surely.

Doubt o'neill would come in and work under a director of football which is what Kentaro now effectively are.

With Jol's agent being Mino Raiola that may cause conflict with Kentaro.Lot's of other agents/agencies keep clear of Raiola.No idea what the score is with Raiola & Anderson.

Archived