BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa FA Cup game

philipl

You could also argue that neither do we considering we made more chances than them :glare:

From what I remember being at both games, Albion carved out far more chances but didn't take them. The point I was making was that the system that Kean's operating can leave us exposed in midfield. Pedersen looks far better in a five man midfield with a player playing behind the striker. Today his lack of pace was exposed as he and Andrews were left outnumbered in midfield on more than one occasion.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the game today and for me Andrews and Nzonzi just didn't work as a midfield pair, both were too deep, there wasn't enough movement and their were to many short square passes.

I think their would have been more balance in midfield with an attack minded midfield player like Dunn to play along side either one of Andrews or Nzonzi.

Grella did ok when he came on, his range of passing was a lot better than the two that started. He sprayed a few good balls out to the wing. I think he is a good passer of the ball but unfortunately his fitness will always let him down.

I'm not going to lay into MGP but he wasn't good today, again his passing was terrible.

Hopefully we can get the lad Formica signed so we have more attacking options in midfield.

I know you're probably just winding people up Jim, but do you think that today's line up was weaker than this which is what we played in last year's 3-1 defeat to Villa?

Eh ?

Why is a legitimate complaint about a manager's poor and deliberately weak selection a wind-up ?

And to repeat, last season (which I never mentioned) is irrelevant.

Kean should apologise to supporters for his errors today.

I was thinking of making the trip today but after seeing the team Kean fielded I'm glad I stayed at home and saved my money.

Fielding such a weak team was an insult to Rovers fans and disrepectful to the FA Cup.

Kean should be given a dressing down by the owners for treating the supporters with such contempt.

You’ve cast out towards the far bank, under the shade of the tree, and for your patience you’ve hooked a WHOPPER :lol:

Is that Allardyce you’ve just described :D

Eh ?

Why is a legitimate complaint about a manager's poor and deliberately weak selection a wind-up ?

I'd put you on Ignore if I thought it would actually work.

Your trolling is just getting tired and predictable. We win, and you can't even credit the manager, but the moment we lose, you're out from under your rock, making ridiculous comments. Did you want Sam to apologize for last year's result in the FA Cup?

Eh ?

Kean will apologise when Sam does ;)

VERY disappointed with this result. Personally I'd have at LEAST five of that squad packing their bags without delay. All have had far too many chances and simply are not cutting the mustard.

It's all very well having chances but little point in that if you are not going to take the chances. Creativity was pretty much zilch and there seemed to be little interest in the game by the players.

Still, I had a bad day all round, had an altercation with a steward too... Jobsworth ... :angry2:

No point taking part then is there ?

Very disappointed about this result because I fancied us to have a good run this year. The League Cup and FA Cups are important because they are the only competitions we have a chance of winning.

The manager is to blame for today's debacle. Kean picked a poor team today and his substitutions and the timing of them were poor - and not for the first time.

A matter of opinion with regards to team selection today. Because of the long term injured players coming back, they needed match fitness / practice. So playing Andrews, Nzonzi and Grella gave them a push in that direction.

The league is Rovers bread and butter. If going out of the cup this season allows Rovers to firstly secure perm survival, then secondly hopefully push on up the table - which gives greater placement money - doubtful, but maybe euro. Allows Kean to look at certain players to assess if he wants to keep them or sell them (after all, the transfer window is still open) Aa well as giving the same the needed match practice in the style Kean wants tp play. If you have a 25 man squad, that squad is there to be used and cup games is one way of using that squad.

Anyway I have been to wembley 3 times and in my view it is not that special.

Should've got John to run him over with his scooter!!

He made them get the head steward and told them their policy was wrong! Might write to them and complain, as will face the same situation on the next visit.

I'd put you on Ignore if I thought it would actually work.

Your trolling is just getting tired and predictable. We win, and you can't even credit the manager, but the moment we lose, you're out from under your rock, making ridiculous comments. Did you want Sam to apologize for last year's result in the FA Cup?

The ignore button apparently is in the top right hand corner - if it makes you feel better. Perhps it should be called the "head in sand" button for truths you do not want to hear.

And just because you don't agree with someone or someone does not toe the party line does not mean it is "trolling".

The manager received plaudits after the wins over West Brom and Liverpool and he has to take the brickbats when we lose too. Villa put out a poor side that was beatable by a decent Rovers side set up properly.

The ignore button apparently is in the top right hand corner - if it makes you feel better.

Not really, because people will still quote your ramblings.

Perhps it should be called the "head in sand" button for truths you do not want to hear.

lol. Irony.

And just because you don't agree with someone or someone does not toe the party line does not mean it is "trolling".

If you've got a fair comment to make, then sure. But you're clearly leaving bait in your post to provoke people, which is indeed called trolling. Luckily for you the mods are oblivious to it, perhaps by choice.

The manager received plaudits after the wins over West Brom and Liverpool and he has to take the brickbats when we lose too. Villa put out a poor side that was beatable by a decent Rovers side set up properly.

The manager didn't receive any plaudits from you, that's for sure.

Your bias towards the last manager is clouding your judgement and simply making you come across as petty and small-minded. Until you can drop this attitude, no one is going to take your posts seriously.

• Backroom

Yet again Jim manages to make another topic about him and his pathetic agenda.

It lost any credibility as soon as he disappeared from the Liverpool thread after the win.

The ignore button apparently is in the top right hand corner - if it makes you feel better. Perhps it should be called the "head in sand" button for truths you do not want to hear.

I love the irony of 'toe the party line'. Because you have been well known to look at politics matters rationally, rather than from your Labour tinted glasses (and I voted Labour!)

But you didn't praise him when we won, you cited luck / did a disappearing act.

Eh ?

You're right Jim.

If there's one thing from when Sam Allardyce was in charge, it's that he always publicly owned up to his errors.

A matter of opinion with regards to team selection today. Because of the long term injured players coming back, they needed match fitness / practice. So playing Andrews, Nzonzi and Grella gave them a push in that direction.

The league is Rovers bread and butter. If going out of the cup this season allows Rovers to firstly secure perm survival, then secondly hopefully push on up the table - which gives greater placement money - doubtful, but maybe euro. Allows Kean to look at certain players to assess if he wants to keep them or sell them (after all, the transfer window is still open) Aa well as giving the same the needed match practice in the style Kean wants tp play. If you have a 25 man squad, that squad is there to be used and cup games is one way of using that squad.

1. I think the only direction that most Rovers' fans at Villa Park today would like to push Mr. Andrews is towards the door marked exit.

2. If having 31 points by the end of January is not the basis for launching a run in the Cup I'm not sure what is.

3. As for Kean's style of play, I suspect that after today he realises that he may need to change things from time to time.

4. You may not think Wembley is special, but for all Rovers fans the sight of the FA Cup being lifted by a Rovers' player is not something to belittle.

5. From your remarks I suspect you didn't bother to spend your time and money at Villa Park this afternoon like those of us who are somewhat disgruntled by the fact that the manager and players would appear to share your view on appearing at Wembley.

1. I think the only direction that most Rovers' fans at Villa Park today would like to push Mr. Andrews is towards the door marked exit.

2. If having 31 points by the end of January is not the basis for launching a run in the Cup I'm not sure what is.

3. As for Kean's style of play, I suspect that after today he realises that he may need to change things from time to time.

4. You may not think Wembley is special, but for all Rovers fans the sight of the FA Cup being lifted by a Rovers' player is not something to belittle.

5. From your remarks I suspect you didn't bother to spend your time and money at Villa Park this afternoon like those of us who are somewhat disgruntled by the fact that the manager and players would appear to share your view on appearing at Wembley.

Got to say I agree with what ya say mate...

The last time a Rovers player held the FA Cup aloft at Wembley was 1928 - all of 83 years ago - I doubt you were there but I understand the sentiment.

There are many of us however who remember the bitter disappointment of the 1960 final, and the split it caused in the town, and who would love to go back to Wembley before we pop our socks to make up for the embarrassment of that day (Rovers were expected to win but lost in what became known as the "dustbin final").

Unfortunately performances like today led by managers who apparently couldn't care less about the FA Cup make that event very unlikely..

Oh dear.

Arsene Whinger, Arsenal and 50,000 of their supporters didn't think so earlier this week.

If we had been struggling in the league and with a home fixture coming-up on Wednesday, it would not be unreasonable for the manager to 'rest' a couple of players.

However, we are eighth with our new owners having aspirations of breaking into the top 5. A great opportunity of going far in this competition thereby raising our profile worldwide, has disappeared. I'm certain that the Raos would have absolutely loved a FA Cup Final appearance. It could have put millions on our revenue for many years to come.

As a supporter, I feel very short changed and what we did today could be construed as a lack of ambition.

Beautifully put--------all of it.

You’ve cast out towards the far bank, under the shade of the tree, and for your patience you’ve hooked a WHOPPER :lol:

Is that Allardyce you’ve just described :D

Last january we were bang in the middle of a relegation battle. Hardly the same now. But you'll be living off Allardyce for the next ten years anyway.

The side we put out wasn't that weak. You'd think we put out a full youth side with way people are banging on.

Every Premier League side puts out an under strength team at this stage of the cup. We have a couple of players coming back from injury, what better time to put them in?

Fair enough for the people who've made the journey down to Birmingham to feel a little short changed, but that's what you;ve got expect with an FA Cup game. It isn't 1960 anymore.

Archived