BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Has anyone got any recommendations for genuinely scary films?

By that I mean ones that really get into your head and frighten you...not things like Saw or ones that just rely on moments that make you jump.

The Entity can be a bit of a eerie film. (scared the snot out of me when I was young)

The Evil Dead certainly has its moments.

Kairo, the Japaniese version of Pulse, has the type of creepiness that only the Japanese seem to be able to do correctly.

Horror seems to be stuck in a horrible cycle of crap right now. A Haunting in Connecticut was so dire that it shames me to have watched it.

A good horror tale that is quite short is "The Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" by Don Coscarelli. Not Scary but well done and entertaining, it was part of that Masters of Horror series. In my opinion this one was the best.

Have you tried any Japanese horror films such as The Ring, Ju-on (aka The Grudge), Audition, The Eye?

Tim, did you happen to catch "CARVED" aka "A Slit-Mouthed Woman"?

That movie was eerie as hell.

Tim, did you happen to catch "CARVED" aka "A Slit-Mouthed Woman"?

That movie was eerie as hell.

No I haven't seen that. I read mixed reviews on it so haven't really thought about watching it. I'll ask my friend if he has it as he's a big film buff especially Asian films. If he's got it, i'll let you know what I think of it.

No I haven't seen that. I read mixed reviews on it so haven't really thought about watching it. I'll ask my friend if he has it as he's a big film buff especially Asian films. If he's got it, i'll let you know what I think of it.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you like the Asian horror style.

By that I mean ones that really get into your head and frighten you...not things like Saw or ones that just rely on moments that make you jump.

I haven't seen it, because I'm not that into horror, but a guy in work was telling me about a French movie called Martyrs. This guy is a real movie buff and is the most laid back, nonresponsive, unemotional person I know and isn't easily put off. However even he had a hard time watching this movie. I've seen the trailer on youtube and it looks vile. I've also seen scenes from the movie, which are even worse.

The same guy also told me about a Koren movie called Auditon, which he says is pretty messed up.

Enjoy!

I haven't seen it, because I'm not that into horror, but a guy in work was telling me about a French movie called Martyrs. This guy is a real movie buff and is the most laid back, nonresponsive, unemotional person I know and isn't easily put off. However even he had a hard time watching this movie. I've seen the trailer on youtube and it looks vile. I've also seen scenes from the movie, which are even worse.

Along the French lines give "Haute Tension" a try. Not as gory as the above but I think it is well done and a nice ending.

• Backroom

'The Descent' scared me sh1tless although there is some jumpy moments in it.

For a pretty disturbing horror, try 'mum and dad' it's a british indie film which obviously takes influences from Fred and Rosemary west.

For an 80's type of throwback horror 'Drag me to Hell' is awesome although not really scary

I love my horrors but hate anything with ghosts, they freak me out.

On Martrys, apparently it's just torture p0rn and non stop tension, meant to be really hard watching.

Edited by TCO

• Backroom

I went to see Sorority Row the other week and there was a trailer for The Descent 2 before it, should be good. Although it confused me because;

In the first one was the ending not that it was all in her head? She was out for revenge after finding out her mate was sleeping with her now dead husband then she went a little loco?

On a totally different note, next month I will be going to see Toy Story and Up in 3d, can't wait Pixar are amazing.

Edited by TCO

Point Break has just been on BBC1.

Honestly, how cool is that movie? It's just cool, man! :-)

Makes me wanna go surfing on Deal sea-front, even though I can't surf! yeah!

Good movie, Swayze doing his thing. May he rest in peace.

Gary Busey stole that movie though, with lines like these how couldnt he?

"Let me tell you something, Harp. I was in this bureau while you were still popping zits on your funny face and jacking off to the lingerie section of the Sears catalog"

"I'm so hungry I could eat the ass end out of a dead rhino, I should have had you get me three of these things!"

"Listen you snot-nose little s&$#, I was takin' shrapnel in Khe Sanh when you were crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face."

I liked the line about Johnny Unitas.

"you can't put me in a cage man!"

And the line about going down the freeway in a metal coffin.

Seriously cool stuff.

Now I switch over and there's some French gaylord stuff with Colin Farrell kissing his mother and having no penis, it's frankly ill-making.

You mean Johnny Utah, right? Keanu Reeves' character? Johnny Unitas was an NFL QB.

Point Break is a fantastic film anyway.

You mean Johnny Utah, right? Keanu Reeves' character? Johnny Unitas was an NFL QB.

Point Break is a fantastic film anyway.

COREY: Hey Shamu, this is your guy.

PAPPAS: Pappas. Angelo Pappas.

UTAH: Punk. Quarterback Punk.

PAPPAS: Welcome to Sea World, kid.

Fantastic Film :)

I've been having fun playing with http://www.framerater.co.uk

It tracks which of imdb's top 250 films you and your friends have seen. I'm on there as tilt (and this evenings tick off the list will be scarface).

Thought I would give that a go and I am surprised how few I had seen of the top 250 and indeed how many I have no intention of ever watching! :-)