BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's: A Year On

Guest Wen Y Hu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent blog post on the situation at Rovers.

There has now to be an all out insurgency to force these joke figures out of our club.

Bloody hell, it really smacks of desperation when you link to a tin pot article on a random blog site. ".they might end up a Colchester or Stevenage, or at least compete in the same division.".

Can't beat a spot of good hyperbole.

A Christmas Carol------- brief synopsis------Scrooge Barclay orders Micawber Venky to reduce his large debt or else its the workhouse. Never having done any work Venky sells his football club to a Qatari family, the Cheeribles and they all lived happily ever after. Apart from Uriah Kean of course who loses his job and can only find part-time work at Do-The-Boys Hall, a dubious establishment owned by a Mr Squeers Anderson. Uriah takes his only friend Smike Roberts with him.

Are you referring to this part:

"Fans are rightly outraged and terrified. But interpreted another way, the seemingly bonkers dealings of the Rao Brothers may be incredibly shrewd. The advertisement is embarrassing, but promoted the club's tour to India. The side played several games there during summer (the first Premier League side to do so), and attracted huge crowds as they took on local outfits.

India is a potential source of revenue for Premier League clubs which has so far remained untapped; the nation has the largest emerging middle class in the world, and football, whilst increasingly popular (last month 120,000 spectators watched Mohan Bagan face East Bengal in a local grudge match), suffers from crippling under-investment. By turning Blackburn Rovers into a brand, Venky's could make them the side to change this; were an Indian player to turn out for Rovers, there could emerge a very lucrative fan base, mimicking the effect the South Korean midfielder Park ji-Sung has had when playing for Manchester United, with his appearance astronomically boosting Asian television audiences and being a constant source of merchandise revenues.

On the face of it, Blackburn's manager is a failure and their owners are nutters. And indeed, their financial gamble poses an existential threat to the club. But if Steve Kean can steer the club to Premier League survival, the potential rewards could be enormous. Rovers' fans think the poultry magnates are running their club like headless chickens; don't be so sure just yet."

"Fans are rightly outraged and terrified. But interpreted another way, the seemingly bonkers dealings of the Rao Brothers may be incredibly shrewd. The advertisement is embarrassing, but promoted the club's tour to India. The side played several games there during summer (the first Premier League side to do so), and attracted huge crowds as they took on local outfits.

eh?

From the list of with pledges:

"In the course of negotiations leading up to the takeover of the Club, the Blackburn Rovers Board had several meetings with Balaji Rao and Venkatesh Rao, their advisers and the Premier League. The Rao family clearly understands the importance of Jack Walker and his legacy and have drawn parallels with their own family."

Yeah right......!!!

Venkys out!

Paul Hunt's reply to questions raised by the LT

Paul Hunt reply to LET

One statement says ''Rovers’ new senior executive team have a vast amount of experience but they would not rule out future appointments if they saw the need to do so''

Then I had a look at Club's official site and saw:

Deputy Chief Executive: Paul Hunt.

Directors: Robert Coar, Gandhi Babu, Mahesh Gupta, Vineeth Rao, Simon Hunt.

Finance Director: Karen Silk

Club President: K.C. Lee.

Vice Presidents: I.R. Stanners, G.R. Root, M. Jeffries.

Manager: Steve Kean.

Football Secretary: Anthony Bloch.

Head of Commercial & Marketing: Simon Williams.

Commercial Manager: Ken Beamish.

Stadium Manager: John Newsham.

Ticket Office Manager: Paula Arpaci.

Head of Community Affairs: Gillian Kinloch.

The ones in BLUE I am assuming are active as Board members - any others? what does Paul Agnew do as he's not featured by name.

And who in the above would ever have the authority to sack SK?

Paul Hunt refers to the structure at Ewood Park as being an ''executive team'' of IMO admistrators and not Directors in the usual sense of the word.

IMO the real Club Directors are the Raos/Desai plus Coco plus the IT who can't be named.

India is a potential source of revenue for Premier League clubs which has so far remained untapped; the nation has the largest emerging middle class in the world, and football, whilst increasingly popular (last month 120,000 spectators watched Mohan Bagan face East Bengal in a local grudge match), suffers from crippling under-investment. By turning Blackburn Rovers into a brand, Venky's could make them the side to change this; were an Indian player to turn out for Rovers, there could emerge a very lucrative fan base, mimicking the effect the South Korean midfielder Park ji-Sung has had when playing for Manchester United, with his appearance astronomically boosting Asian television audiences and being a constant source of merchandise revenues.

On the face of it, Blackburn's manager is a failure and their owners are nutters. And indeed, their financial gamble poses an existential threat to the club. But if Steve Kean can steer the club to Premier League survival, the potential rewards could be enormous. Rovers' fans think the poultry magnates are running their club like headless chickens; don't be so sure just yet."

Venkys are thick, I am surprised they are successfull in business in India, indeed, if they are successfull, its nothing to do with those three idiots because they are incapable of making logical and proper decisions, time will tell but I dont think they own Rovers either, as I say time will tell but successful business people dont allow their business (Rovers) to continue losing money through sponsorship, relegation, season tickets etc, they would have done something about it!!

Yes 47er I was about to say the same.

Four Pennies, Blackburn band that reached No 1 with Juliet!

I remember it well. :rover:

I remember going to a game were the 4 pennies played on the pitch before the game, they could have hardly played at half time as the interval was very short in those days. I've narrowed it down to either Villa at home on January the 2nd 1965 or Arsenal at home on January the 15th 1966. Both games we won, the Villa game being particularly good as we buried them 5-1 with Byrom scoring 3 and Andy McEvoy 2. I remember it snowing heavily during the game but we were tremendous that day and won as we pleased. Regarding the Arsenal game we won 2-1 in a close game played on a frosty pitch but with no snow. I've seen photos of the 4 Pennies playing in the centre circle before a game in track suits on what was obviously a fozen pitch but with no signs of snow. Could somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me which game they played at so I can sleep tonight. Incidentally I thought they were playing live and they sounded tremendous.

It makes you wonder how they've could've done a worse job, doesn't it?

If they had sacked Kean when necessary, we could've chalked it off to naivety/incompetence and given them a second chance. Awarding him a new contract in spite of the fans was just the final straw. Seriously, this is like the real life equivalent of a Burnley fan managing Rovers on Football Manager.

Adding greatly to Rovers current problems is/was Jerome Andersons ability to bring in some real quality players that could have improved the team and pushed the club up the league.

Unfortunately Anderson seems to have proved Alex Ferguson right in that hes a very poor judge of a footballer.

. Seriously, this is like the real life equivalent of a Burnley fan managing Rovers on Football Manager.

That is actually a really good point. Has anyone checked the background of these people for Dingle connections. If you were loaded it must be tempting to take over a team you hate and muck them up good and proper.

There is no doubt Rovers were on the wrong end of some terrible decisions by Peter Walton at Sunderland.

If you have any doubt about what happens when the PL decides your owners to be too embarassing for your club to stay in the League, just ask Pompey fans what happened when the PL's most senior officials reffed their games...

How can we get shut of this lot? I've been anti since day one but never would I feel it would get to this so soon. Titanic hitting an iceberg. Is there anything in the sale which annuls the agreement? (sorry if it's been covered)

Today it has affected home life, nothing serious, but affecting the children & myself to such a point that I feel nauseous. To be a plaything of a body who cares not, isn't sitting very well and I feel we need to, somehow, take the club back. Glen is doing his commendable thing, somehow I'll do mine. Kean isn't the problem, he's symptom,

Venkys/sem/Anderson the virus.

I don't even believe that there is anyone based at Ewood Park who has the interest or authority to change the manager . We are planning which away games to attend over the festive break but all this mess deters even the loyalist fan and threatens to ruin both Christmas and my son's 18th . How do we get shut of Venkys etc?

I just wish we could get our club back into the hands of British ownership,people on this shore with their finger on the pulse...owners whose main interest is first and foremost BLACKBURN ROVERS F.C.

Owners who have a realistic and long term plan for Rovers with regular but sensible investment into the team.

Owners who we could relate to and they would be open and willing to interact with the fans and listen to their opinions.

Owners who think before they open their mouths to the press and would go about the clubs business in a quiet and discreet manner.

Owners respectful of our clubs age old traditions and a total understanding of just how important a part the club plays in and around the town of Blackburn.

Owners who would employ a proper MANAGER who possesses experience and is well respected within the game,above all else a MANAGER who tells the truth.

This is how is used to be at Rovers,we all would like a return to normality asap please.

I really can't see this nonsense going on for too much longer.

The "business model" (I'm being polite here), surely isn't sustainable. You can't keep a club in the premiership on no money. They don't want to put any cash in - fair enough. But I would assume the bank will have the club off them and sell it on at some point before the debts get unsustainable.

It is also a year on since Big Sam was sacked......

“We want good football and Blackburn to be fourth or fifth in the league or even better,” said Mrs Desai. “The fans should trust us because this is in the best interests of the club.”

Archived