SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chaos, Confusion And General Mismanagement

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

Published: Friday, 8 June 2012

Chaos, Confusion And General Mismanagement

by Kamy

We are almost a month into the close season and the confusion continues at Ewood Park with UK-based club officials unable to answer critical questions about the future direction of the club because they simply do not know what is going on due to the communication vacuum that currently exists between Blackburn and Pune.

Paul Agnew, who for the past two weeks had been posing as the new director of communications, was officially unveiled on Wednesday as the club's general manager — believed to be a position equivalent to CEO. In a worrying indication of how seriously the newly appointed general manager might be taking his responsibilities in the running of the club, he then promptly left the UK on a two-week holiday and the club in limbo.

While other Championship clubs are busy preparing for the new season by confirming budgets, sorting out which players they will keep and putting in place strategies for player recruitment, the situation at Ewood Park is very much different. The club appears to be in a state of meltdown with the owners by their own admission feeling "emotional" and in a state of "confusion". I urge them to wake up and come to their senses before they cause the wanton destruction of our club. As one famous motto puts it: "Failing to plan is planning to fail".

So let's take a look at the issues that appear to be causing this parlous state of affairs.

Steve Kean

I think that it is safe to say that this man is the most hated manager in the recent history of Blackburn Rovers and virtually all fans now want Kean sacked and removed from the club completely. The relationship between him and the fans has totally broken down and is now beyond repair, and a very large chunk of fans have made the very difficult decision not to attend matches at Ewood Park while Kean remains as manager. Kean, for his part, has been unusually quiet since his visit to Pune three weeks ago. Sources have indicated that his future is very much up in the air, with the suggestion that he will be removed as manager and moved to another position. This is completely unacceptable, however. You cannot have a former manager — who has been as influential as Kean has been — remaining at the club in any capacity. However, it also seems that Mrs Desai, who can veto any decision, has yet to decide what to do with Kean. Almost every advisor and family member is recommending that Kean should be removed, yet she continues to dither. A decision on this key issue needs to be made immediately: the uncertainty cannot be allowed to continue.

Executive Board

Rovers' executive management structure seems to be in tatters. For so long there has been no chief executive and, with the sacking of Paul Hunt, there is no longer a deputy chief executive even. How the club can continue to operate in any functionally acceptable manner is beyond me. You cannot run any organisation adequately without a secure and clear management structure. Sources who work at Ewood have told me on numerous occasions that no one knows what is going on and there is a general state of panic at Ewood Park because staff are not able to get answers to questions about their and the club's future. Again, this is a completely unacceptable situation and it is imperative that Venky's sort out the executive board structure immediately. They cannot simply allow the club to drift in such a manner, otherwise they risk losing further staff who have become disenfranchised by the situation at Ewood Park. It is a complete and utter joke that we are now into June and yet not only is there no big push on to sell season tickets, there are in fact no season tickets to sell as they have not gone back on sale since the Early Bird offer closed at the end of April. This is but one example of the serious off-the-field issues at Ewood at present.

Players

Due to the chaos surrounding the club, it is no surprise that many of the current squad are looking to leave Rovers as soon as possible. The problem they face, however, is that they cannot enter into any meaningful discussion with anyone at the club because there is no one there with the authority to discuss such matters. This is making the players even more determined to leave. Many of the current squad may still consider remaining at the club but would require re-negotiated contracts due to the 40 to 50 percent wage drops understood to have been activated by relegation clauses in their contracts. Whereas Bolton and Wolves are busy re-negotiating contracts with the players they want to keep, our better players — such as Givet, who is willing to remain at the club — cannot get a straight answer regarding re-negotiating their contracts as there is no one available with the authority to action this.

This situation is heading towards a massive blow-up when the players return for pre-season training in a couple of weeks. This is not only harming the chances of our current squad remaining at Ewood, it is also harming the reputation of the club with agents who are likely to represent players that we may be interested in bringing to the club. Put yourself in the position of an agent advising a player: Would you really allow one of the players that you represent to join the circus that Rovers currently is?

Sale of Club

Over the last few weeks it has become apparent that there are at least two groups out there who are very serious about buying Rovers. One of these groups, which is the consortium headed by Ilyas Khan and supported by Ian Battersby and Ian Currie, has received some positive indications that the owners may be willing to listen to what they are offering. Publicly the owners have maintained that they do not want to sell, but perhaps privately some members of the Rao family are now wanting to sell. The big problem regarding any potential sale is that all four members of the family (Mrs Desai, her husband, Venkatesh and Balaji) have to agree to a sale for it to happen. Sources in Pune have indicated that Balaji in particular does not favour a sale, so the question is: Can Mrs Desai persuade him if she decides that a sale is the best way forward?

Summary

This article only touches the surface of the issues facing the club, but be in no doubt that the club is now facing a fight for its very existence. The mismanagement of the club has reached staggering proportions. I don't accept that the owners are naïve; they have now owned the club for almost two years so the excuse of them being naïve no longer cuts the mustard. The simple fact is that the club finds itself in its current position because of the decisions that the owners have made in the last two years. They have chosen to take the club in the direction it is heading in making those decisions. There is no one else to blame.

So with the club perched precariously on the edge of the cliff, it is now up to the owners to take the decisive action that will pull the club back from the cliff edge. Unless they are intent on allowing the club to fall off the cliff, be it out of wilful malice or reckless incompetence, then I urge that they make the following sensible decisions:

• Appoint an experienced chief executive and empower the board with decision-making authority;
  • Recommend to the board that Steve Kean be sacked and removed from the club forthwith;
  • Allow the board to appoint Steve Kean's successor;
  • Allow the board to make strategic decisions on taking the club forward in consultation with the owners.

These are just the first steps, but are necessary to stop the club falling over the edge of the cliff. If they are not undertaken and Venky's decide not to sell, then the future looks very bleak indeed. The damage done to the club could take a whole generation or more to repair and it will be Venky's name that is associated with this damage.

--------------------

Posted to the front page here.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Published: Friday, 8 June 2012

Chaos, Confusion And General Mismanagement

by Kamy

So with the club perched precariously on the edge of the cliff, it is now up to the owners to take the decisive action that will pull the club back from the cliff edge. Unless they are intent on allowing the club to fall off the cliff, be it out of wilful malice or reckless incompetence, then I urge that they make the following sensible decisions:

• Appoint an experienced chief executive and empower the board with decision-making authority;
  • Recommend to the board that Steve Kean be sacked and removed from the club forthwith;
  • Allow the board to appoint Steve Kean's successor;
  • Allow the board to make strategic decisions on taking the club forward in consultation with the owners.

Seems to me Kamy, that they have just empowered Paul Agnew to make all the decisions for them. I really can't see them bringing in anyone else in a position above him. Your article is bob on, but the chances of anyone with the experience and desire to make the necessary changes coming into the club, must be zero at this point in time.

For what it's worth I sent the editorial to Mrs D this afternoon, and clearly indicated to her that Paul Agnew Iis not the man to do what I suggest, nor is Shebby Singh.

It won't have any effect on their decision making but at least she knows that fans are even more unhappy now.

Your article Kammy seems to accurately represent our current dire situation, why are the raos refusing to discuss anything to do with the club?

On the face of it they stand to lose more than anyone else if the club goes bust as a result of their chronic mismanagement,there

must be somebody out there able to open a dialogue with them surely, theyre not on the moon!

Maybe negotiations are going on as we speak to find a buyer suitable to them, the problem being the frying pan and fire argument.

Somebody needs to get to grips with this situation and quick, they only seem interested in the financial gain side of the club

anyway. :angry:

Kamy,

Very well put and most accurate, of course, most supporters are aware of all the points you have mentioned, though few could have put it so coherant and eloquently.

I do hope Venkys do take the trouble to moniter this messageboard, any sane person would do so to get the feeling of their clients, the question remains are they sane, again, as you quite rightly comment, after two years the naivity doesnt hold water any more, I have just retired and can honestly say, if it took me six months to learn the ropes, I would have been long gone, almost two years into the job as you rightly say, they should have it nailed!1

• Backroom

The mismanagement of the club has reached staggering proportions. I don't accept that the owners are naïve; they have now owned the club for almost two years so the excuse of them being naïve no longer cuts the mustard. The simple fact is that the club finds itself in its current position because of the decisions that the owners have made in the last two years. They have chosen to take the club in the direction it is heading in making those decisions. There is no one else to blame.

To me this is the most relevant part of Kamy's excellent written piece, and for most of us should be the most frightening. The fact of the matter is you cannot make any excuses for Venky's decision making, they've been here too long to suggest they're anything other than idiotic beyond belief or pawns in a much larger game.

To me, the only credible explanations for this fiasco all delve somewhat into various conspiracy theories which have been raised over the past couple of years. There is no way something more sinister is not at work here, absolutely no way. What should scare us most is that Venky's may not even wholly be in control of the club's overall destiny. Venky's might be called 'chicken farmers' jokingly but they are businesspeople, and until they purchased Rovers were considered serious businesspeople.

What would make people like that actively destroy something they had purchased, making the wrong decision at every turn whilst employing a man to run operations who had proven beyond any possible doubt he is horrifically out of his depth?

Only attempt to answer that question if you're prepared to go beneath the surface of what's happening here.

Absolutely spot on - the majority on here have held the same views and it just gets worse at every turn. The ultimate question is why they treat their "baby" with such disdain. They only have to look at this site just occasionally to see and feel how much passion our club's fans have. They are a disgrace and should be planning only one thing - their exit strategy.

Excellently written. As DE4life wrote, I agree, that is the most telling part. The excuse of naivety needs to be put to bed. It's more than obvious that the whole thing stinks of corruption and the only possible solution for Venkys, is to sell up and disappear and then we have to hope that someone with the same values as our club, comes in and at the very least, restores clarity and above everything else, pride.

Of course, everyone is assuming here that Venky's are the owners in anything other than name .... as far-fetched as it should be, I can't help but think the reason for the indecision and "confusion" is because the REAL owner(s) haven't yet told the public owners (Venky's) what to do yet.

I can't put it down to naivety or stupidity because it's unfathomable that any members of the human race can be that thick or naive; therefore the only other explanation is something more nefarious ....

The big problem regarding any potential sale is that all four members of the family (Mrs Desai, her husband, Venkatesh and Balaji) have to agree to a sale for it to happen. Sources in Pune have indicated that Balaji in particular does not favour a sale, so the question is: Can Mrs Desai persuade him if she decides that a sale is the best way forward?

This is the bit that worries me the most. It seems a bit like asking a child if you can throw away their favourite toy.

Kamy - in your opinion could their be a power struggle within the family - along the lines of Mrs Desai wants to sell - her brother doesn't - her brother wants Kean out - but she doesn't. Due to the "family rules" we are effectively left in stalemate while the family bicker ?

Kamy - in your opinion could their be a power struggle within the family - along the lines of Mrs Desai wants to sell - her brother doesn't - her brother wants Kean out - but she doesn't. Due to the "family rules" we are effectively left in stalemate while the family bicker ?

We could have a stalemate with Mrs D wanting up sell and Bala saying no, but from what I am told, if Mrs D REALLY wanted rid of the club she would order Bala to sell up, he wouldn't go up against her if she was determined to get rid.

Well put Kammy but I see a potential glimmer of hope in that the new general manager has gone on holiday whilst the football manger is returning. Bad timing or quick exit stage left by the new general whilst things hot up here or is the holiday a mere smokescreen? Wonder who the new PR man/womam will be? LOL

We could have a stalemate with Mrs D wanting up sell and Bala saying no, but from what I am told, if Mrs D REALLY wanted rid of the club she would order Bala to sell up, he wouldn't go up against her if she was determined to get rid.

The only way forward for the Club/Fans is a sale of it.

venkys must sell now!!!

We need new owners and I reckon we will have new owners before the start of the current season. I will add before people ask that I have no 'ITK' info but I reckon the Battersby/Currie/Khan bid will be successful!

For what it's worth I sent the editorial to Mrs D this afternoon, and clearly indicated to her that Paul Agnew Iis not the man to do what I suggest, nor is Shebby Singh.

It won't have any effect on their decision making but at least she knows that fans are even more unhappy now.

Are we even 100% sure that she is the decision maker Kamy?

Are we even 100% sure that she is the decision maker Kamy?

If I believe rumours then no she isn't, but can't find proof re third party ownership, but in their other businesses Venky's make very sensible decisions and they are generally well run, yet Rovers is the total opposite. Makes you wonder......

If I believe rumours then no she isn't, but can't find proof re third party ownership, but in their other businesses Venky's make very sensible decisions and they are generally well run, yet Rovers is the total opposite. Makes you wonder......

Certainly makes me wonder. Kean would have been despatched 10 times over by any other football club owner. So who have we got in the frame? Some shady Rab C Nesbitt look alike and his croneys? The Fat Controller? How about Philippe Huber? Nicko once said in the early days that in attacking Jerome Anderson we were targetting the wrong man as Huber was the one making all the big decisions. Was that the truth or was Nicko saying that to divert some of the flak off Anderson?

Have you any possible suspects to add Kamy?

Certainly makes me wonder. Kean would have been despatched 10 times over by any other football club owner. So who have we got in the frame? Some shady Rab C Nesbitt look alike and his croneys? The Fat Controller? How about Philippe Huber? Nicko once said in the early days that in attacking Jerome Anderson we were targetting the wrong man as Huber was the one making all the big decisions. Was that the truth or was Nicko saying that to divert some of the flak off Anderson?

Have you any possible suspects to add Kamy?

The only other name I keep hearing about as someone with big influence is someone called Ian Leigh.

Archived