BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love it, just love it if sunderland went down. There's still that bit of old northeast rivalry in me. As a kid growing up, sunderland were our burnley. Forget Newcastle. They were in div 1 but sunderland were often with us and we hated them.

Are you a smoggie Gumboots?

Looks like Burnley's remaining matches are slightly harder than Sunderland's though after losing 4-0 as Sunderland did, who knows? I feel a bit sometimes for the Black cats because I think they have been relegated 4 times, quite a lot. Aston Villa surely, will work things out so that leaves Hull City to be in the mix is the way I'd see it. Clubs with over 30 points should be okay.

Credit to Burnley for how they have behaved, performed and represented themselves in the Premier League. Loving how Dyche picks the same team week in week out. Some very good results as well against much bigger clubs. If Burnley stay up they will have thoroughly deserved it and should they be relegated will be all the wealthier for it anyway. Doubt they can keep either their best players or the manager for too much longer though.

• Moderation Lead

It's very tight down at the bottom, I think QPR and Leicester will definitely go, but that third spot could be any from a number of teams imo.

The over hyped myth of the English Premiership being the best league in the world is now exposed for the Sky-PL fairy story that it is.

For the second time in the past 3 years the PL cannot get even one side through to the Champions League quaterfinals.

The PL structure is geared to have an elite group within the PL (Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) who win everthing - in reality they are second division in European super team terms.

• Backroom

The Prem is still arguably the most entertaining league in the world with the most difficult set of teams overall.

Spain - dominated by Barca, Real and A. Madrid.

Germany - Dominated by Bayern and (until this season anyway) Dortmund.

France - Dominated by Lyon and PSG.

Italy - Not a hugely entertaining league and rife with corruption.

The Dutch/Portuguese leagues don't really have the reputation to compete.

In terms of competition in the truest sense the PL beats any of the other major leagues. You have at least six teams (Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool) close to each other in terms of ability and cashflow. Then you've got teams like Everton (pre-Martinez), Stoke, Swansea and recently Southampton who have a good chance of upsetting the big boys, especially at home. We were once in that bracket too.

When we say "best league in the world" it's important how you define "best". If you mean in terms of best top teams, then clearly over the past few seasons the PL teams in the CL have failed. But worth noting we recently had the likes of Fulham in a Europa League final and it wasn't that long ago we had English teams regularly in the semis and finals of the CL. History shows that countries tend to go through periods of producing teams that do well in the CL. Italy for a while, Spain, England and recently Germany. If City ever sort themselves out, Van Gaal improves United and Mourinho stays at Chelsea I think we'll see English teams start to be successful again in the CL.

If we're looking at "best" in terms of competitiveness I'd say the PL is ahead of the others, even if it is because the top teams have serious flaws.

The over hyped myth of the English Premiership being the best league in the world is now exposed for the Sky-PL fairy story that it is.

For the second time in the past 3 years the PL cannot get even one side through to the Champions League quaterfinals.

The PL structure is geared to have an elite group within the PL (Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) who win everthing - in reality they are second division in European super team terms.

And the press and media promote that myth for all they are worth!

Just as a comment its amazing how many people round and about believe such crap! One only needs to talk in pubs and work places to see how many people have been brainwashed into churning out the same old platitudes heard on the TV. Can some folk not think for themselves?

The Prem is still arguably the most entertaining league in the world with the most difficult set of teams overall.

The Dutch/Portuguese leagues don't really have the reputation to compete.

In terms of competition in the truest sense the PL beats any of the other major leagues. You have at least six teams (Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool) close to each other in terms of ability and cashflow. Then you've got teams like Everton (pre-Martinez), Stoke, Swansea and recently Southampton who have a good chance of upsetting the big boys, especially at home. We were once in that bracket too.

When we say "best league in the world" it's important how you define "best". If you mean in terms of best top teams, then clearly over the past few seasons the PL teams in the CL have failed. But worth noting we recently had the likes of Fulham in a Europa League final and it wasn't that long ago we had English teams regularly in the semis and finals of the CL. History shows that countries tend to go through periods of producing teams that do well in the CL. Italy for a while, Spain, England and recently Germany. If City ever sort themselves out, Van Gaal improves United and Mourinho stays at Chelsea I think we'll see English teams start to be successful again in the CL.

If we're looking at "best" in terms of competitiveness I'd say the PL is ahead of the others, even if it is because the top teams have serious flaws.

For one I don't think the top teams are a patch on those ten years ago BUT how do you account for the awful performances in the FA cup by Prem teams this season then DE? I'm not sure that you aren't a victim of the above press and media influence.

• Backroom

And the press and media promote that myth for all they are worth!

Just as a comment its amazing how many people round and about believe such crap! One only needs to talk in pubs and work places to see how many people have been brainwashed into churning out the same old platitudes heard on the TV. Can some folk not think for themselves?

For one I don't think the top teams are a patch on those ten years ago BUT how do you account for the awful performances in the FA cup by Prem teams this season then DE? I'm not sure that you aren't a victim of the above press and media influence.

I think you've misread my post Gord, or you just read the first line.

The reason the prem is the most entertaining is because so many of the better teams have flaws which even out the playing field a little. That, of course, includes the FA Cup. The flaws in various teams make everything competitive, regardless of whether our top teams are a match for other leagues top teams.

Quality and competitiveness are totally seperate things.

T

England - dominated by Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd.

The rest are also-rans

Like all the others the Premier League is pointless because the same teams dominate year after year.

The Championship as a competition is far more interesting and is like how football used to be.

• Backroom

England - dominated by Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd.

The rest are also-rans

Like all the others the Premier League is pointless because the same teams dominate year after year.

The Championship as a competition is far more interesting and is like how football used to be.

Can't disagree with that Jim, the Prem is just slightly less predictable than the rest of the European leagues. Barcelona and Real Madrid regularly smash teams by 5 or 6 in La Liga - you don't often see that here.

Only 5 clubs have won the Premier League since its inception more than 20 years ago - and our title doesn't count according to some people.

You can virtually predict where teams will finish each season because there is a direct correlation between wages and success.

Sure, some matches are exciting but it's not a true competition and has become pointless.

Archived