BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe

• Backroom

Almost seventy first team games played, and NO goals to show for it, so far, for this alleged potential and competency.Suppose everybody has a different idea of what measures a footballers competency level.For me everybody should be able to defend, and everyone should have the capability to score goals, including the goalie to make for a successful team.

So Rogerio Cheni must've been a better keeper than any of Schmeichel, Buffon, Shilton or Banks ;)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only perspective in which calling Lowe **** means anything is the one which relates to our current squad and the alternatives we've got in his position. Is he **** compared to Etuhu and Williamson? Is he **** compared to the free transfer bottom half of the Championship/League 1 players we're currently in the market for? Well if the answer is no to both of those questions then what is the point in calling him that? Our fans remind me of some fat kid who rates 90% of women as ugly and will only consider going out with the fittest in the class. Time to wake up and get real, we're no longer good enough to call Jason Lowe ****.

I think people defending Lowe using the "we are not on the Premier League anymore' argument are missing the point. I am aware of this. I just don't think he is good enough at Championship level.

I think people defending Lowe using the "we are not on the Premier League anymore' argument are missing the point. I am aware of this. I just don't think he is good enough at Championship level.

Fair enough. But personally I’m of the general opinion that players have been getting the blame for things that have been the fault of Berg and Appleton. There were 2 seasons within a season for me. One under Kean, Black and Bowyer in which points per game we were the 3rd best team in the league. And one under Berg and Appleton in which we were considerably the worst. Surely that vast difference in performance is not reflective of the players ability, if it is then they're all both too good and not good enough at Championship level. The fact that they could do it under Kean, Black and Bowyer more than says they are good enough if used correctly (as none of those 3 is regarded as an especially good manager). If Venkys hadn't mucked up on their managerial choices and we had finished in the play-offs at the minimum, would fans still be saying Lowe isn't good enough for this level?

Fair enough. But personally I’m of the general opinion that players have been getting the blame for things that have been the fault of Berg and Appleton. There were 2 seasons within a season for me. One under Kean, Black and Bowyer in which points per game we were the 3rd best team in the league. And one under Berg and Appleton in which we were considerably the worst. Surely that vast difference in performance is not reflective of the players ability, if it is then they're all both too good and not good enough at Championship level. The fact that they could do it under Kean, Black and Bowyer more than says they are good enough if used correctly (as none of those 3 is regarded as an especially good manager). If Venkys hadn't mucked up on their managerial choices and we had finished in the play-offs at the minimum, would fans still be saying Lowe isn't good enough for this level?

Even when we were winning the title there was always an area that you thought we could improve. Last season it seemed fairly obvious to me that it was CM. Had we been under GB last season and finished in the play-offs I suspect this thread would still exist regarding Lowe as the weak link. I struggle to recall one game last season where I thought Lowe might turn out to be good enough, even ones we won.

What's your view. If you had to replace 1 area of the team from the one which played most of last season would you say it was CM or elsewhere?

Really? Well I've just googled two of our best deep midfielders in recent times Batty and Cowans and for good measure Makelele. In the last 11 years of his career Makelele scored just 4 goals on well over 300 games for the highly unsuccessful teams Real Madrid, Chelsea and PSG! Not like he must have been starved of chances with them is it?

Batty by comparison was free scoring cos he got 8 in his entire career including just 1 for us.

And once 'Sid' Cowans had left AV he scored just 12 in the following 12 seasons!

If deep sitting midfielders dont take pens or free kicks and drop back for corner kicks they tend to struggle in the scoring charts.

Yes, if the club meets this criteria it will have more chance of being at the top end of the table rather than hovering around the bottom end wouldnt you agree.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats what makes forums great, but anyone who thinks Lowe is decent and even half decent really needs to have a good hard luck at themselves..i dont think ive seen someone make so many misplaced passes over a season as i have lowe. A few times he has hit balls that not only wouldnt find a man, they wouldnt even come remotely close! Hes no threat going forward, poor positionally, not very fast so what exactly does he do? close people down? hes not even particularly good at that...Williamson showed him up massively last season...

Even when we were winning the title there was always an area that you thought we could improve. Last season it seemed fairly obvious to me that it was CM. Had we been under GB last season and finished in the play-offs I suspect this thread would still exist regarding Lowe as the weak link. I struggle to recall one game last season where I thought Lowe might turn out to be good enough, even ones we won.

What's your view. If you had to replace 1 area of the team from the one which played most of last season would you say it was CM or elsewhere?

Yeah I'd agree with a lot of that to be honest. We could improve on Lowe and it would be a decent area to target. My objection is more towards the attitude that he's utterly useless and needs to be sold. Thats barmy in my opinion and way over the top in harshness. And I think its a harshness bred by the fact that Lowe has been on the pitch most games this season and has been there to be shot at. Whereas players who are worse than him and who we should definitely be considering selling first have been safe in the shadows.

I would keep Lowe at the club more than I'd keep Formica, Etuhu, Murphy and Nunes. Why are there no threads laying into those guys hovering around the top of the board? Well because they were so useless last season that nobody's even bothered about discussing their contribution. If we improve on Lowe in the transfer market then for me he drops to the bench and those other guys get sold. Then with a few more years under his belt and coming into his prime, Lowe could prove a decent player for us after all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats what makes forums great, but anyone who thinks Lowe is decent and even half decent really needs to have a good hard luck at themselves..i dont think ive seen someone make so many misplaced passes over a season as i have lowe. A few times he has hit balls that not only wouldnt find a man, they wouldnt even come remotely close! Hes no threat going forward, poor positionally, not very fast so what exactly does he do? close people down? hes not even particularly good at that...Williamson showed him up massively last season...

I agree he wasn't goood enough for a team with aspirations for promotion, but similarly anyone who genuinely didn't see progression from him towards the end of the season can't have been judging him fairly in my view.

Do we even know what a defensive midfielder should look like at 21? When was the last time one came through, or the last time we bought one at his age?

He needs to improve to deserve a place in the starting XI, but if we let him go it wouldn't surprise me if he would be playing at a higher level than Rovers in a couple of years time.

It is hard to imagine or quantify the negative effect off field activities and internal disruption had on the entire playing staff past year. It must have been poisonous going to work. 60+ into 11 simply doesn't go and a lot of lads not getting a run would have been bitching and niggling away.

I'm not excusing anyone as their duty as professional players was to rise above it and do their jobs. But anyone who has played in a group lacking spirit and togetherness will know it is nigh on impossible to do well, either individually or collectively.

Respect to players like Rhodes, Kean, Kane who somehow performed to the standard expected in very trying conditions. Respect also to those who gave 100% at all times. I include Lowe within that rather short list.

Those writing him off do so way too soon in my opinion. He was often playing out of position, in a badly struggling team, with static players around him doing their running for them. Defensive midfield as part of a three is the position he should be challenging for and judged upon. I think he will make a very good player in that position.

I think the reason this thread has had a resurgence is the rumour that he's actively seeking a move.

However, I don't disagree with the points made above about workrate, the one thing he can't be faulted for is effort.

I think the reason this thread has had a resurgence is the rumour that he's actively seeking a move.

Is he? I'm not suprised if so. Any self respecting agent worth his salt with an England U21 player on his books should be looking to get his client playing in the Prem if at all possible.

Whatever opinions abound on here simply aren't a consideration.

However, I don't disagree with the points made above about workrate, the one thing he can't be faulted for is effort.

Where have you heard that ?

Oh dear, Jason Lowe is looking for a move?

I am not one for criticising players, but if this true then he really isn't aware of his severe lack of ability. He is a poor man's Aaron Mokoena and that is no mean feat.

His ball distribution is of the standard of a non league footballer, I mean no disrespect to that level but it's true. His work rate and stamina are literally his only attributes. He is useful in some aspects as the backup fullback or as the midfielder who can do the dirty work in the mould of a Savage but he needs to improve....alot.

The thought that he wants a move away to 'better himself' is highly laughable and I for one will be glad to see the back of him, on the basis he won't be an option to GB and we won't have to see him disrupt attcking team moves like he has done in the past. A damning verdict.

Maybe Lowe has realised that we've got his number and all the under 21 caps in the world wont change the fact that we know he's absolutely crud, But other clubs wont all know that, so now could be his best chance for a move whilst he's still seen by some as having very good potential.

Corrected.

I'll accept that mike. What a player he was. The Ewood 'faithful' would pick on one unfortunate ZZ and that would be game over for him at Ewood.

Rem the crap Lucas Neil got on here? I'd like to think that a bellyful of Henley, Orr and Lowe getting skinned time and again down the left must have made a few choke on their words.... no doubt I'd be wrong though.

Archived