BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe

A lot of people are giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his age, assuming he will improve. Maybe he will slightly, but he has no ability at the moment, and has shown no signs that there is a good player there that needs nurturing.

Being relatively young doesn't mean he has potential.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He started 30 games in the Premier League the season we get relegated and more than that last year so we have had the opportunity to judge him against past Rovers players and his peers in both the Premier League and the Championship. Unfortunately I would say as a club we haven't bottomed out to his 'level' yet.

It's difficult to judge any player in the lost years (aka the Kean era) because he was so rank bad with tactics and left us exposed time and again. This was exploited in the PL and exploited - but not capitalised on - during the early part of last season. Some of the misses, one-on-one, last season were unbelievable - perhaps down to other teams' nerves when they thought we were a scalp.

Let's see how he does under Bowyer in a more dynamic team (hopefully shorn of some of the deadwood - I'd sooner see Murphy in the ressies if we can't convince him to take a pay cut and join the coaching staff full time (preferably at another club).

He's 21, FGS. Let's give him another chance this season. Maybe it's the weather or the ale, or the thought of an Agnew-less, Bowyer-ful Rovers, but I'm willing to give him another chance.

To be honest...

Kean

Henley Dann Hanley Olsson

Judge Williamson Jones Taylor

Rochina

Rhodes

...would probably be my "ideal" (it's all relative) pick. But Jason Lowe would be my fifth midfielder in a 4-5-1 (sacrificing Rochina); first off the bench for any of the midfield; and cover for Henley.

Taking all the fundamental aspects of being a footballer into account, which one does he excel at?

Tackling - no

Passing - no

Shooting - no

Heading - no

Running - yes

No matter how you dress it up, he's a poor player out of his depth at this level and without a good level at the facets above is unlikely to improve much, if at all.

Rubbish stats ?

Ok, in your own words no links please,

1). How many successful tackles per game did Jason Lowe make.

2). How many successful passes per game did he make.

3). How many assists did he make.

4). How many goals did he score.

Just to gain better understanding to your position.

I don't have his stats for this season on me, JAL. Sorry.

The guy played 30+ games in 11/12, at both right-back and centre-midfield. He would've had to make his fair share of tackles, especially in a Steve Kean team.

To have a 86% success rate for tackles won, and 69% for tackles where he's come away with the ball, most certainly puts the notion that he's a crap tackler to bed.

I don't have his stats for this season on me, JAL. Sorry.

The guy played 30+ games in 11/12, at both right-back and centre-midfield. He would've had to make his fair share of tackles, especially in a Steve Kean team.

To have a 86% success rate for tackles won, and 69% for tackles where he's come away with the ball, most certainly puts the notion that he's a crap tackler to bed.

Sounds good, but it doesnt tell us the true picture. For all we know Jason may have only made on average two tackles per game to achieve this 86% which delivered a high mark, yet failed miserably to win the game as his actual game by game tackle count was so low.

• Backroom

I think ppl tend to forget the 'home-grown' requirements tbh. With judge and Taylor (more players trained in England) I'd expect Lowe to take a bench role behind Williamson or Jones.

Taking all the fundamental aspects of being a footballer into account, which one does he excel at?

Tackling - no

Passing - no

Shooting - no

Heading - no

Running - yes

No matter how you dress it up, he's a poor player out of his depth at this level and without a good level at the facets above is unlikely to improve much, if at all.

This isn't personal cos I could have quoted many other posts on here. However there are imo a number of posters on here who are living in the recent past and I think you are one. I rem the time before that and believe me Jason Lowe would have walked into just about every BRFC team every season between 1968 and 1989. Some around here are facing a very steep learning curve I'm afraid! No worries though cos we are finding our rightful place in footballs heirarchy and whats in store is sh1t and will test many peoples loyalties..... but on the positive side it will be character building and you will be better people for it! :tu:

Oh for goodness sake gord, we get it you've been a fan a long time. Me, nor one other person on this board gives a flying one. Would you like every poster's opinion on every player to be 'he's crap, but we shouldn't complain, because over two decades ago, we had worse players"

As for 'character building;' didn't do you much good did it Mr "I don't like the manager, I'm going to play golf?"

I'm sure back in the old 'character building days' we had worse managers than Ince.

This isn't personal cos I could have quoted many other posts on here. However there are imo a number of posters on here who are living in the recent past and I think you are one. I rem the time before that and believe me Jason Lowe would have walked into just about every BRFC team every season between 1968 and 1989. Some around here are facing a very steep learning curve I'm afraid! No worries though cos we are finding our rightful place in footballs heirarchy and whats in store is sh1t and will test many peoples loyalties..... but on the positive side it will be character building and you will be better people for it! :tu:

Not sure where you are going there Gord.

I'm sure back in 197whatever there was always a player that stoodout as being by far the weakest link in a side. I'm also sure that Rovers fans, despite their strong characters, regularly complained and bitched about him after the game. Nothing new there. The fans will always want the poorest player replacing.

Regardless of what league you are in, you always want your club to gradually replace the poorest players with better players. In a lot of fans opinion Lowe (and his selected midfield partner early season) is that weakest link. You seem to be saying that if we were in league two we should just be happy with whoever is on the pitch and not mention if one of them is obviously worse than the others.

Pleasington's finest in full voice from the 19th hole I see. Heard it all before and it's just pessimistic, defeatist nonsense. I suppose playing golf every day makes you like that. Fore !

You think so Drog?

Maybe my memory has been clouded somewhat but my earliest memories are of the old Third Division, players like Parkes, Metcalfe, Kendall, McKenzie, Speight - all better than Lowe.

Recent memory then moves to the mid 80's, players such as Nicky Reid, Tony Finnegan, John Millar, Alan Ainscow, Simon Barker - again , all better than Lowe. However, I'll give you Lowey, Shepstone and Hildersley.

In recent years, scraping the bottom of the barrel you had Andrews, Grella, Frandsen, Matteo (at times). Again, I'd say they're all better than Lowe.

Now don't get me wrong, there'll be players I've omitted that are pretty poor but chances are they won't have as many appearances (and poor ones at that) to their name as Jason Lowe. To say myself, and others are living in the past is wrong, fact is at this level he looks poor amongst his peers. He's never dominated a game as I can remember or influenced one positively. To use an analogy that you yourself do on occasion, I'd think what he would be like to play against and I'd like to think it'd be pretty comfortable.

You think so Drog?

Maybe my memory has been clouded somewhat but my earliest memories are of the old Third Division, players like Parkes, Metcalfe, Kendall, McKenzie, Speight - all better than Lowe.

Recent memory then moves to the mid 80's, players such as Nicky Reid, Tony Finnegan, John Millar, Alan Ainscow, Simon Barker - again , all better than Lowe. However, I'll give you Lowey, Shepstone and Hildersley.

In recent years, scraping the bottom of the barrel you had Andrews, Grella, Frandsen, Matteo (at times). Again, I'd say they're all better than Lowe.

Now don't get me wrong, there'll be players I've omitted that are pretty poor but chances are they won't have as many appearances (and poor ones at that) to their name as Jason Lowe. To say myself, and others are living in the past is wrong, fact is at this level he looks poor amongst his peers. He's never dominated a game as I can remember or influenced one positively. To use an analogy that you yourself do on occasion, I'd think what he would be like to play against and I'd like to think it'd be pretty comfortable.

You clearly don't like him - did he run over your cat or something :tu:

I think nostalgia is clouding some of your judgement there. It is easy to pick on modern day players when we can replay everyone of their mis-placed passes on Sky. It is also difficult to compare players playing at a higher level (as Lowe has done) or with the quicker speed of the game than those players from days past.

Whether you agree or not - last season we would have been stuffed without him - until we got Jones and Williamson he was the only player with any legs to help us compete in midfield. He is a competent midfield player - who should be able to play at Championship level - and possibly a higher level. You obviously wouldn't agree with this - but I do think you overly harsh on him.

You clearly don't like him - did he run over your cat or something :tu:

I think nostalgia is clouding some of your judgement there. It is easy to pick on modern day players when we can replay everyone of their mis-placed passes on Sky. It is also difficult to compare players playing at a higher level (as Lowe has done) or with the quicker speed of the game than those players from days past.

Whether you agree or not - last season we would have been stuffed without him - until we got Jones and Williamson he was the only player with any legs to help us compete in midfield. He is a competent midfield player - who should be able to play at Championship level - and possibly a higher level. You obviously wouldn't agree with this - but I do think you overly harsh on him.

Almost seventy first team games played, and NO goals to show for it, so far, for this alleged potential and competency.

Suppose everybody has a different idea of what measures a footballers competency level.

For me everybody should be able to defend, and everyone should have the capability to score goals, including the goalie to make for a successful team.

• Backroom

Almost seventy first team games played, and NO goals to show for it, so far, for this alleged potential and competency.Suppose everybody has a different idea of what measures a footballers competency level.For me everybody should be able to defend, and everyone should have the capability to score goals, including the goalie to make for a successful team.

Nelsen must've been ddogshit then.

I thought Nelsen was 'famous' for only ever scoring one goal for us.

Although comparing a defender to a midfielder isn't a great argument anyway.

When JAL says even the goalkeeper should be capable of scoring goals then it's probably a fair comment.

I agree with the aspect of the nodrog's comment that some perspective is needed. There's no point in saying "he's ****" as a heck of a lot of posts in this thread have done. Compared to what? Our 2005/06 side that finished 6th in the PL? Our 2009/10 side that finished 10th in the PL? Comparing him to eras before this one is meaningless. Although its pretty hilarious that the players in Lowe's position for both those excellent seasons, Savage and Andrews, received plenty of criticism as well. Giving a strong indication that Rovers fans are either never satisfied or just don't know what they're talking about.

The only perspective in which calling Lowe **** means anything is the one which relates to our current squad and the alternatives we've got in his position. Is he **** compared to Etuhu and Williamson? Is he **** compared to the free transfer bottom half of the Championship/League 1 players we're currently in the market for? Well if the answer is no to both of those questions then what is the point in calling him that? Our fans remind me of some fat kid who rates 90% of women as ugly and will only consider going out with the fittest in the class. Time to wake up and get real, we're no longer good enough to call Jason Lowe ****.

I think his problem is that he's not really a 4-4-2 midfielder. As a defensive player in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 he has definitely got the attributes to be a decent player. He can break up play, hassle opposition players, use his agility to cover attacking full-backs and just be neat and tidy on the ball. He hasn't shown too much of the latter in midfield but he was very tidy at full back in the PL so he's got the ability to do it.

I'd say a decent comparison of the sort of player he can be like is Gareth Barry. He doesn't "excel" in any particular area but he does a very solid job for the team by breaking up play, being tactically astute and being tidy on the ball. Like Lowe he doesn't fit in a 4-4-2 though, he needs to be sitting in a more fluid formation.

Almost seventy first team games played, and NO goals to show for it, so far, for this alleged potential and competency.

Suppose everybody has a different idea of what measures a footballers competency level.

For me everybody should be able to defend, and everyone should have the capability to score goals, including the goalie to make for a successful team.

Really? Well I've just googled two of our best deep midfielders in recent times Batty and Cowans and for good measure Makelele. In the last 11 years of his career Makelele scored just 4 goals on well over 300 games for the highly unsuccessful teams Real Madrid, Chelsea and PSG! Not like he must have been starved of chances with them is it?

Batty by comparison was free scoring cos he got 8 in his entire career including just 1 for us.

And once 'Sid' Cowans had left AV he scored just 12 in the following 12 seasons!

If deep sitting midfielders dont take pens or free kicks and drop back for corner kicks they tend to struggle in the scoring charts.

David Batty barley scored in 400 odd games over his career i thought he was decent.

Our fans remind me of some fat kid who rates 90% of women as ugly and will only consider going out with the fittest in the class. Time to wake up and get real, we're no longer good enough to call Jason Lowe ****.

Sums up my feelings. Good analogy.

If Todd Kane doesn't return then Lowe is the best right back at the club in my opinion. I think Henley is over-rated. Lowe did a good job at right back in the Premier League.

Archived