BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Sheffield Wednesday Preview

I thought as usual Etuhu was very very good, and as usual he got no help whatsoever from his partner, on this occasion Lowe rather than Murphy. Can't see anything in Lowe as a midfielder at all tbh.

Rev - agree with most of your comments - but Etuhu - very very good ? Really ? Most of the people sat around me thought he was awful (and I am actually a fan of his). In comparison Lowe had pace and desire - granted not a briliant performance with an awful misplaced pass in the second half - but far more mobile than Etuhu who has as much pace and movement as an oil tanker in reverse (on tonights performance),

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rev - agree with most of your comments - but Etuhu - very very good ? Really ? Most of the people sat around me thought he was awful (and I am actually a fan of his). In comparison Lowe had pace and desire - granted not a briliant performance with an awful misplaced pass in the second half - but far more mobile than Etuhu who has as much pace and movement as an oil tanker in reverse (on tonights performance),

After only seeing 2 games this season , Orr , Etuthu and CKR ..Can go and find another club ...

They bring nothing to the team at all and never will ....

The booing of Murphy , little surprising but he said things 2 years ago about Rovers and is robbing the club every month !!!!

Rochina , at last looks like he may make a player (one swallow maybe )

Dunn head and shoulders best player on the pitch whilst he was on it ..

The teams fitness is becoming laughable , Wednesday were poor , good job cos we were knackered after 60 mins ...

After only seeing 2 games this season , Orr , Etuthu and CKR ..Can go and find another club ...

Orr is average - he hasn't been too bad in the games I have seen - but if we ha more options in midfield I would replace with Lowe

Etuhu - poor tonight IMO - but the games I have seen one of the few successes

CKR - not sure what he brings at times - I guess we are marking time until Best is fit. I did think he worked fairly hard - but largely ineffective.

For all players - at the moment (bar the first 15 or so minutes tonight) we are being out fought - it could be fitness or just general desire - but at times they look like pampered ex-premiership players who think they are too good to do the basics like tackle and pass and move. Having said all that - Kean instilled some bad habits, and it would appear poor fitness training - it will take some time. A little credit to Black - we have looked far more solid under him than we ever did Kean - and you can see shoots of improvement that hopefully will be picked up and accelerated under the new manager.

Just back having spent my time at Ewood with Prestonb Blue and Ewoodbehappy. What a total disgrace of a performance for our club.

The defence was at sea at times.

The central midfield was non existant. There was oceans of space in the middle because Lowe and Etuhu cannot play together.

There was no service or support whatsoever for CKR or Rhodes.

We stole the points because Wednesday overran us time after time and as they were so poor up front we got lucky once again.

I dont agree with booing Murphy. KEANSCUM has gone so give him another chance. The game was crying our for him in the second half.

Shabby, tell your bosses we need an experienced MANAGER not Flitcroft NOT an inexperienced team.

Ewood was more deadwood than ever. The thrill has gone, the buzz is none existant. Steve KEAN is guilty of murdering our club.

When Murphy came on, he slowed the game down and gave us a bit more control, ma good substitution albeit a bit late, should have been earlier, Lowe has great energy levels and pressed the ball ever so well, indeed, was good to see his teamates applaud his work in closing down players, he's a young lad, has quick feet and I feel with decent coaching, he will become a decent player, the defence for me was pretty solid but our inability to retain possession was the problem, one corner to Wednesday, we had everyone in our own box so any clearance was simply going to be banged back at us, interestingly, Black addressed this and the next corner both Richards and Rhodes stayed on the half way line, taking three Wednesday players out of the equasion.

Robbos distribution (some mentioned was bad, culminated from neither full back opening out to give him options when he claimed the ball, he was clearly looking for an outlet but had to kick instead. as for his kicking, he was obviously given instructions to which areas to knock the ball, mainly in wide areas to Richards and there is little margin for error, late on in the game, we did well to hit the corner flags and Rhodes made a great tactical foul by Wednesdays corner flag, even on of Robbos kicks almost went for a throw by the corner flag but by inches went for a goal kick - for once, seemingly proper direction from the manager!!

Rhodes hold up and link play was very good, unfortunately, he had little support and was given no chance at all, finally, Rochina, what a talent, turned his man every time, a good manager will bring this lad on immensly and he almost scored two cracking goals!!

Warming a little to Black, much more about him than Kean and we may, I say may, regret not giving the guy a chance, talks sense, honest and seems to know where he is at. Three points, clean sheet, still a way to go but there are signs of unity in the squad!

First game for me at Ewood since relegation. I haven't seen us much this season so can't really fully judge players on one performance.

I thought Kazim Richards did quite well, worked hard, just didnt quite happen for him or Rhodes tonight. I was impressed with Hanley the most. Lowe did well although he and Etuhu need to take care of the ball better at times, like they did in the first 15 mins or so when they moved it quickly.

Robinson - Nothing much to do, commanding but poor distribution - 6

Orr - Average Joe - 5

Hanley - Obviously scored and looked solid in general - 7

Dann - Fairly commanding although still has questionable distribution - 7

Givet - More defensively sound than Olsson - 6

Etuhu - OK, put himself about - 6

Lowe - Energetic and gave 100% - 6

Kazim - Lazy, wasteful and infuriating - 4

Dunn - Superb assist, and was playing very well until he got his injury - 7

Olsson - Lazy or lacking confidence, I would say the former but he looks a shadow of the player we had under Big Sam - 4

Rhodes - Nothing to work off - 5

Rochina - A real bright spark, some beautiful touches - 7

Pedersen - Didn't do much - 5

Murphy - No time - N/A

Robinson - Nothing much to do, commanding but poor distribution - 6

Orr - Average Joe - 5

Hanley - Obviously scored and looked solid in general - 7

Dann - Fairly commanding although still has questionable distribution - 7

Givet - More defensively sound than Olsson - 6

Etuhu - OK, put himself about - 6

Lowe - Energetic and gave 100% - 6

Kazim - Lazy, wasteful and infuriating - 4

Dunn - Superb assist, and was playing very well until he got his injury - 7

Olsson - Lazy or lacking confidence, I would say the former but he looks a shadow of the player we had under Big Sam - 4

Rhodes - Nothing to work off - 5

Rochina - A real bright spark, some beautiful touches - 7

Pedersen - Didn't do much - 5

Murphy - No time - N/A

Dont see how you rated Dann a 7 when your questioning his performance, were you gave lowe a 6 for working hard and giving 100%??? Explain?

Scott Dann and Grant Hanley were both rock solid at the back and meant that despite a fair bit of possession in our half, Wednesday actually created very little in the way of clear cut chances. The point about Dann in possession was only a minor one really, Hanley is also clumsy but they did their job very well of stopping the Wednesday attack.

Lowe provided energy but both he and Etuhu failed to get a significant hold on the match. A club that aspires to finish in the top 2 should be able to control games from the middle of the park, and I felt after around 30 minutes of very good football, with Dunn at the heart of some very nice moves, we gave the initiative to Wednesday. Out of all our midfielders I think Murphy is the best at maintaining possession but for whatever reason even he has been sloppy on the ball and unable to control games so far, although booing him helps no-one. I still hope and think that he can eventually be the hub of the team who can dictate games at this level, with preferably Etuhu alongside him to do his leg work.

I did not see Hendry there tonight.

Has he been locked up yet?

Musnt of had your eyes open. He was warming up with the fowards shooting into the net as per, which has been happening for the past couple of games.

Scott Dann and Grant Hanley were both rock solid at the back and meant that despite a fair bit of possession in our half, Wednesday actually created very little in the way of clear cut chances. The point about Dann in possession was only a minor one really, Hanley is also clumsy but they did their job very well of stopping the Wednesday attack.

Lowe provided energy but both he and Etuhu failed to get a significant hold on the match. A club that aspires to finish in the top 2 should be able to control games from the middle of the park, and I felt after around 30 minutes of very good football, with Dunn at the heart of some very nice moves, we gave the initiative to Wednesday. Out of all our midfielders I think Murphy is the best at maintaining possession but for whatever reason even he has been sloppy on the ball and unable to control games so far, although booing him helps no-one. I still hope and think that he can eventually be the hub of the team who can dictate games at this level, with preferably Etuhu alongside him to do his leg work.

I think murphy will come out and prove everyone wrong, if and when a new person comes in. Something that plays to his sort of style. Just seems like he is out of his depth in this formation/style of play we are adapting recently. Personally, i think Lowe should be Right back instead of Orr, I think he was poor again tonight, as he has been throughout the season, Not offered much defensivley/attacking.

Murphy needs players in front of him to make runs, and also he has apparently had an injury, he's settling into a new team with a lot of chaos, I agree there. We can't expect him to run around like a mad man, just let him set the tempo in there, have someone to do his running and his donkey work and then 2 wide men and 2 more centrally(one off ie Dunn/Rochina) making runs and he will pick passes out. I actually think tonight with Kazim and Olsson being bone idle down the flanks, he would have had little joy in finding runs anyway.

I would play Henley at right back, I don't understand where he has gone. Lowe is a very limited player, decent engine but little else, Orr is average and Bruno doesn't look comfortable.

Yeah obviously Murphy needs people infront of him, hes a person to get the ball and just pop it off onto people infront/behind/sideways whichever he may chose. This injury has seemed to illuid him since leeds was it?? Cant remember, he had a fractured foot??? (Correct me if im wrong please) I thought etuhu was brought in for the donkey work, which personally, i think he is perfoming very well throughout the season, bar tonight were he didnt seem to do much. All season hes pulled the string, done the donkey work in midfield and be the enforcer kind.

In glimpses Kazim seemed positive, for the first 30 mins or so, Not sure whats up with him since come back off injury but dosent seem the same persnally. IMO i think theres more to it than a simple strain.

Henley? Isnt he a LB? Still breeding and developing as a player. Not a champ player as of yet, give him time however, maybe he might be introduced later in the season, who knows?

I think he got a knock in pre-season and might have been playing with discomfort early on. Think it was a foot injury yeah. I agree on Etuhu plus they know each other well.

Kazim looked sharp in his first 2 games then got injured, he seems tempremental and has been lucky not to have picked up a red card so far. Not sure if he prefers to play centrally but IMO Rhodes, Dunn, Rochina and Gomes are all better bets there. I don't think its just a strain either because his body language tells a lot.

Henley looked excellent last year and can play either side, it seems even Raheem Hanley has jumped ahead of him which is a surprise.

Ah, Sorry about that, I knew it was something like that anyway. I cant remember when it was or whatever. Been sleeping since then.

Personally i dont see why gomes and rochina havent been getting more game time?

To say richards was injured and couldnt run for weeks on end, hes done well with 2 90 mins under his belt, very strange in my opinion.

I rate raheem hanley, very good player. Personally better than Henley, Maybe Hanley has devopled a lot quicker than Henley to become a better prospect for the future

Think I watched the same game as Kelbo and Revidge so won't go through all that again. The first 25-30 minutes I felt we played with pace, controlled the game and had improved our passing though there were still too many misplaced passes. After Dunn went off Wednesday enjoyed the better of the last 15 minutes of the half - to be expected really.

At half time Black should have sorted this out and Rovers carried on as they started but no we didn't. Instead the whole team played deeper and deeper leaving Rhodes totally isolated. We reached a point towards the end when attacking we only managed to get three players upfield. We invited Wednesday pressure and got it, a better side would have beaten us.

Dropping Murphy was an excellent move. He plays at walking pace and slows the whole game down when I think we need to play with a much higher tempo. Personally I hope he doesn't start again and he was a poor choice of sub. Yes we needed to hold up the ball but first you have to win it, both things Murphy has failed to achieve to date. I don't agree with the booing but the player created the situation with his lazy performances and poor attitude, it's up to him to prove the fans wrong. I doubt he has the motivation to do so.

Thought Black's comments after the game summed things up very well.

For those who declared this utter kean I have to tell you the first 30 minutes was a real improvement, the rest was par for the course at Ewood this season. £27 is an awful lot to pay to watch it.

Hopefully Flitty bought a return ticket.

"First 20 minutes we were excellent. That was the sort of "new manager bounce" effect I would have expected for the away games or the Wolves game. The players looked much more up for it, we were pressing the ball, the passing was crisp and one touch and if we hadn't been guilty of overplaying situations on more than one occasion we could have put the game comfortably out of sight. It was almost as if the players knew the appointment of a new manager was imminent and were trying to impress him."

Exactly what i said to my husband. Unfortunately we couldn't sustain that effort and when Dunn went off we just lost so much passion and drive that seemed for the first time in I don't know how long, to have been present. This is a league that can be won with some skill and good energy and fitness levels - you have to be able to keep going and one of the things that helps that is winning games, especially if you didn't really deserve to. Hopefully this is a start. I can't remember last time i saw us win at Ewood - some time last season but i don't know which match, and I'd almost forgotten how to enjoy that winning feeling, so used have i become to seeing us concede late on.

Extremely dissapointing gate, especially with a healthy following from Sheffield also.

We didn't bother going down, after the euphoria of the rat resigning, the club should have appointed a new manager before last nights game, but again they've messed around and lost the publics imagination once again.

When will the circus pack up and leave town?

What's happened to Gomes??

I thought him and Rhodes were showing real promise together. He had 4 goals in 5 games or something and then he seems to have not been involved much.

Just seems an odd move when he was clearly full of confidence. He may have picked up an injury which I'm not aware of but he certainly doesn't seem to be featuring much.

Yeah obviously Murphy needs people infront of him, hes a person to get the ball and just pop it off onto people infront/behind/sideways whichever he may chose. This injury has seemed to illuid him since leeds was it?? Cant remember, he had a fractured foot??? (Correct me if im wrong please) I thought etuhu was brought in for the donkey work, which personally, i think he is perfoming very well throughout the season, bar tonight were he didnt seem to do much. All season hes pulled the string, done the donkey work in midfield and be the enforcer kind.

In glimpses Kazim seemed positive, for the first 30 mins or so, Not sure whats up with him since come back off injury but dosent seem the same persnally. IMO i think theres more to it than a simple strain.

Henley? Isnt he a LB? Still breeding and developing as a player. Not a champ player as of yet, give him time however, maybe he might be introduced later in the season, who knows?

Adam Henley is naturally a right back but can play on the left, he should be playing, looked decent in the prem last season, he would be fine in my opinion!

First 25 minutes were the best of the season for me so far. Dunny was running the show, that all changed when he went off. Rochina has all the ability in the world but positionally he is poor. He does not show for the ball like Dunny does, leaving the less creative players isolated with fewer options. Not meaning to bash Rochina, but passing the ball is also his final option anywhere near goal, his job is to feed Rhodes.

Lowe had his best game of the season, we know he lacks in the ability area so he should concentrate on ratting and shutting down, as he did tonight.

Last hour was poor, dreadful in fact but you can definitely see some improvements in the team in the short space of time.

Surely thats preferable to non managers like Shearer, Sherwood and McKinley?

Not really.

Let's say this was another business and you were recruiting for a highly paid managerial position. I'd rather take a risk on someone straight out of college than someone who's been managing the local corner shop.

Why have no other league clubs been after Flitcroft?

Archived