BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

Eighteen hours ago Cryer tweeted "the club is in a mess and by that I mean all camps. In-fighting is crazy" and this afternoon we're expected to believe all is sweetness and light & the manager search is running like a sewing machine?

Must have been one hell of a meeting this afternoon! Seems odd to me too....

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Maj, regardless of what you think or I think, any managerial appointment is a hunch. With all due respect, knowledge of OGS doesn't mean you know how good he'd be at Rovers. He could be awesome as easily as he could be dogshit.

That being said, may I ask your opinion on the board fave and my fave (Holloway)? And in relative terms who would you rather have, Holloway or OGS? Personally, I'd rather have Holloway.

Eighteen hours ago Cryer tweeted "the club is in a mess and by that I mean all camps. In-fighting is crazy" and this afternoon we're expected to believe all is sweetness and light & the manager search is running like a sewing machine?

I believe it because for a complete change there has to have been something happened for him to write that. He hasn't pulled his punches recently.

Maj, regardless of what you think or I think, any managerial appointment is a hunch. With all due respect, knowledge of OGS doesn't mean you know how good he'd be at Rovers. He could be awesome as easily as he could be dogshit.

That being said, may I ask your opinion on the board fave and my fave (Holloway)? And in relative terms who would you rather have, Holloway or OGS? Personally, I'd rather have Holloway.

Solskjear over Holloway anyday always go for the proven winner.

I didn't think Gordon Lee did arrive midway through that season Parson, my hazy recollection is that after Furphy left and we were at the time well placed for a promotion push November time, we then had to endure a horrific rest of the season slump under Dick(head) Dinnis. I didn't think Lee arrived until close season 74/5 and that he kicked off instantly in style.

My worry would be exactly the same thing will happen the longer we are stuck with Black much as I give him credit for officially ruling himself out of the running if that's what he's done. Not read it yet today.

I do think the squad we've got is comfortably good enough to go up, but only if we stay reasonably in touch. 5 points off the pace is doable. 10 points is hard work especially if the teams at the top maintain roughly a two point per game pace. Doing a "Reading" is always theoretically possible but not likely. No Club can rely on it.

According to Mike Jackman's excellent " complete record 1875-1990", Lee joined the Rovers Jan 1974.

People are on here and various other places every single day slagging off Kean, Ince, pundits, managers, players etc. All of these have more than likely "forgotten more" than any of us "will ever know" about football. Does it mean that we agree with them/ respect their opinion? No.

Majiball could be working for Barcelona for all I care, I often think he's full of crap when it comes to his opinions on football. I'm sure he'll sleep fine knowing as much.

Judging by your posts I very much doubt he will lose any sleep at all, where you fall down is not looking at the argument put in favour of OGS, you even state he has no experience of managing in English football, he did when he managed Man U reserves, his predecessors included, Kidd, McClaren, Billy Davies who all went on tho manage league clubs, one even as National team manager!!

• Backroom

Solskjear over Holloway anyday always go for the proven winner.

See I go the other way. Holloway is a proven winner at this level. OGS is a proven winner in another league with another mindset. I'd love him here, don't get me wrong. But would prefer Holloway.

I don't actually think this is Venky's taking the time. I think it's the guys down at Ewood who can't make their minds up or come to a mutual decision.

If the owners are guilty of anything I think it's not telling them to hurry the feck up.

Judging by your posts I very much doubt he will lose any sleep at all, where you fall down is not looking at the argument put in favour of OGS, you even state he has no experience of managing in English football, he did when he managed Man U reserves, his predecessors included, Kidd, McClaren, Billy Davies who all went on tho manage league clubs, one even as National team manager!!

Those names are the ones forming your argument?

Those names are the ones forming your argument?

No, simply that you stated OGS had no experience of managing within the English game, I have proven that he has!!

Indeed, both Davies and McClaren were successful at Championship level!

No, simply that you stated OGS had no experience of managing within the English game, I have proven that he has!!

Indeed, both Davies and McClaren were successful at Championship level!

Okay, very well done. But not at senior level.

Davies and McClaren were successful at Championship level? No they weren't.

If any of the three names you mentioned were named Rovers boss, everyone would go crazy. I don't think you've added much weight to the OGS argument?

If any of the three names you mentioned were named Rovers boss, everyone would go crazy. I don't think you've added much weight to the OGS argument?

Oh dear, you easily forget!!! must do better

At the end of the 2000–01 season McClaren began looking for a managerial job, having decided his chances of succeeding Ferguson at Old Trafford were slim.[14] With a positive reputation and closely linked with three Premier League vacancies, Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson won the race to appoint him after McClaren turned down Southampton and West Ham United.[18] In his first season, Middlesbrough reached the FA Cup semi-final, knocking out his previous employers Manchester United en route,[19] but lost 0–1 to Arsenal.[20] They finished 12th in the league, a small improvement on the previous season's 14th-place finish. The following season bought another modest improvement, this time finishing eleventh.

220px-MillenniumStadiumInside.jpg

magnify-clip.pngThe 2004 Football League Cup Final between Middlesbrough and Bolton Wanderers at the Millennium Stadium

In the 2003–04 season, McClaren guided Boro to victory in the League Cup with a 2–1 win over Bolton Wanderers in the final.[21] This was the club's first ever major honour and also guaranteed them qualification for a European competition for the first time in their 128-year history.[22] In the following close season, McClaren was able to attract proven players Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Michael Reiziger and Mark Viduka to the Riverside Stadium.[23] The signings paid dividends as the club reached the round of 16 in the UEFA Cup, having beaten more experienced sides such as S.S. Lazio,[24] before being eliminated by Sporting Clube de Portugal.[25] The club finished in seventh position in the Premier League—their best finish since 1975—ensuring qualification for the UEFA Cup for a second successive season.[26]

At the end of the 2000–01 season McClaren began looking for a managerial job, having decided his chances of succeeding Ferguson at Old Trafford were slim.[14] With a positive reputation and closely linked with three Premier League vacancies, Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson won the race to appoint him after McClaren turned down Southampton and West Ham United.[18] In his first season, Middlesbrough reached the FA Cup semi-final, knocking out his previous employers Manchester United en route,[19] but lost 0–1 to Arsenal.[20] They finished 12th in the league, a small improvement on the previous season's 14th-place finish. The following season bought another modest improvement, this time finishing eleventh.

magnify-clip.pngThe 2004 Football League Cup Final between Middlesbrough and Bolton Wanderers at the Millennium Stadium

In the 2003–04 season, McClaren guided Boro to victory in the League Cup with a 2–1 win over Bolton Wanderers in the final.[21] This was the club's first ever major honour and also guaranteed them qualification for a European competition for the first time in their 128-year history.[22] In the following close season, McClaren was able to attract proven players Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Michael Reiziger and Mark Viduka to the Riverside Stadium.[23] The signings paid dividends as the club reached the round of 16 in the UEFA Cup, having beaten more experienced sides such as S.S. Lazio,[24] before being eliminated by Sporting Clube de Portugal.[25] The club finished in seventh position in the Premier League—their best finish since 1975—ensuring qualification for the UEFA Cup for a second successive season.[26]

So I state that McClaren wasn't successful at Championship level, and you post about his mediocre PL finishes with big spending Boro?

McClaren's one Championship job was last season, and he was sacked very quickly.

"Must do better."

I believe he said Championship success. He was crap at Forest.

Billy Davies has achieved 4 championship play off finishes with three different clubs and one promotion with Derby so he has a decent championship record.

McClaren has only managed Forest for a month in the championship.

Solksjaer's two years with Molde challenging at the top of the table and in European competition is a good managerial starting point. Mark Hughes's experience of managing Wales against teams like Italy also put him in good stead for us so I see a comparison between the two.

He does know English football and its culture from his playing and coaching days at Manchester United.

Archived