BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think Gordon Lee did arrive midway through that season Parson, my hazy recollection is that after Furphy left and we were at the time well placed for a promotion push November time, we then had to endure a horrific rest of the season slump under Dick(head) Dinnis. I didn't think Lee arrived until close season 74/5 and that he kicked off instantly in style.

My worry would be exactly the same thing will happen the longer we are stuck with Black much as I give him credit for officially ruling himself out of the running if that's what he's done. Not read it yet today.

I do think the squad we've got is comfortably good enough to go up, but only if we stay reasonably in touch. 5 points off the pace is doable. 10 points is hard work especially if the teams at the top maintain roughly a two point per game pace. Doing a "Reading" is always theoretically possible but not likely. No Club can rely on it.

I think you are right, he came close season and I remember the pre seasonb at Preston, 2-2 I think the score and we looked good then, Andy Burgin was left back and was real quality!!

Couple of tweets from this morning. Will Watt is the Blackpool Gazette journalist.

William Watt@WillWatt

I'm afraid these Holloway exit rumours just won't go away.

BBC Lancashire@BBCLancashire

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway wouldn't be drawn on speculation linking him with a move away from Bloomfield Road.

Ollie would be great but I just can't see any established manager taking it because of Shebby.

I also think Shebby would try to scupper any Shaw led deal as he wants an influence on team affairs.

Ollie would be great but I just can't see any established manager taking it because of Shebby.

I also think Shebby would try to scupper any Shaw led deal as he wants an influence on team affairs.

He'd take it if Shebby gave him assurances that he'd be entirely in charge of the playing side, allegedly.

Shaw supposed to be getting well in with Mrs D and the word is that the McKinley deal was scuppered before BRAG had anything to say on the matter. Wonder why that was? Mrs D telling someone to get their arse into gear and employ someone who isn't good friends with the guy they are being shafted by? Nixon is reporting this is a bit of a faux pas by Shebby.

Billy McKinley is as short as 1/5 to be appointed next Blackburn manager, but punters may want to think twice before assuming that this is a sure thing.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was considered a shoo-in at 1/10 to replace Alex McLeish at Aston Villa earlier this summer, but turned down the role to stay in Norway.

McKinley seems keener to take the reins at Ewood Park, but the Blackburn supporters and current club Fulham are set to make this difficult.

Blackburn fans are seemingly unwilling to put up with another experimental appointment after the failings of Steve Kean and want a new boss with some experience.

This seems fair enough and chasing newbie managers suggests that Blackburn are attempting to find a cheap option.

Given that the manager should be the most important man at the club, this does seem slightly strange, especially as £8m has already been spent this season on buying a new striker in Jordan Rhodes, suggesting money is available.

Meanwhile, McKinley is currently first-team coach at Fulham and the London club have already knocked back one approach from Blackburn to talk to him.

Another attempt is likely to be made, but Fulham will drive a hard bargain to keep McKinley in his current post at Craven Cottage.

These points make McKinley a far from certain appointment and as his price is so short to take over, there is value elsewhere in the market.

Barnsley seem a typical Championship club these days and surviving relegation will remain a decent feat for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, manager Keith Hill would almost certainly have his head turned by the opportunity of battling for promotion to the Premier League and he has been doing an assured job at Oakhill.

Hill is 25/1 to be the next Blackburn boss.

Even Ladbrokes can't spell his name correctly!

It's McKinlay, not McKinley.

And yes, it does matter.

Couple of tweets from this morning. Will Watt is the Blackpool Gazette journalist.

William Watt@WillWatt

I'm afraid these Holloway exit rumours just won't go away.

BBC Lancashire@BBCLancashire

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway wouldn't be drawn on speculation linking him with a move away from Bloomfield Road.

I believe our friends from down the road are looking at Holloway closely.

Analysed? You said none of the players have played well this season. Now you say some of them have. Make your mind up.

Rev says there are quite a few players who've played well also, yet we've been outplayed in every game? Someone's making things up as they go.

BTW, when did Bentley score a hat trick at old trafford?

Apologies, it was at Ewood!! I should have known you would analyse that too!!

If we are going to nitpick, I was asked how many players have been outstanding this season, to which i replied none of them!!

Now keeping on track, my point is we have the players to gain promotion, the right manager will do the rest!!

doubt this is true but playing pool for the local on monday night , an opposing player who claimed to drive the Ressies to games (even that could be BS) claimed Shearer had been spoken to by Shaw , 1 condition he wanted was John Williams to return and Shebby to basically shut up and disappear

That sounds very plausible. John Williams are highly regarded among ex players. Henning berg said something similar as to get John Williams back. That is probably not an option though, we are stuck with venkys and shebby. also this is shearers second chance at managing. He can't screw this one up, and that's probably why he demands someone proper and someone he trust to run the show.

It's for these reason I want a manager from the IFs and BUTs list at glen mentioned. They know changes needs to be done and are not willing to take on us without getting some promises. Unfortunately managers from this group is probably the hardest ones to get a hold of

I must say I'm really warming to the idea of Simon grayson though. What he have done with huddersfield do far has really impressed me, and it would be fun to have Huddersfield Ben back and do his comical Ali show

So if Sherwood or shearer do well they wont be touted for bigger jobs at Tottenham or Newcastle or what about England???

It is no longer 1995, we are not only rivalled in this country by Manchester United.

Blackburn rovers are a small club who have done well from managers who have used us to improve their name & i will be happy if that continues.

Mark Hughes & Graeme Souness are our most successful managers since Kenny won the premier league & both left for what they thought would be bigger & better things.

Dont be mistaken, should this appointment be successful he or she (i wouldnt put it passed Venkys) will move on too!!!

Very true, but that would mean we had been successful at least.

Holloway is my pick of the bunch with Grayson second and McCarthy third. We can't wait for OGS, and all the other options have either not managed in this country, never mind this division or are a bit dodgy or aren't managers.

What I would love is for Dalglish or Hughes to come back and continue what happened before but that's never going to happen for various reasons.

So I hope they see some sense and employ a guy who has been there and done it, and still has a lot to prove and I think that can be said of my first two picks.

Good shout,but my order Grayson,McCarthy then Holloway.

I said certain players have produced in flashes. We didn't get fourteen points from the first six games purely by accident.

We're just discussing whether this squad is one of the best in this league Rev. "certain players producing in flashes" doesn't suggest that it is. In fact, the match reviews on here suggest that the majority of players have fallen well short of what's required to claim they're the best in this league.

I believe our friends from down the road are looking at Holloway closely.

If you mean Burnley, then maybe they are, but I can't see why he'd be tempted to leave the donkey lashers for that lot, they're not any financially better off, and other than Austin they don't have any stand-out players. His motivation for coming to us would be that we can both pay him more money and offer a larger transfer budget than B*rnley or Blackpool can compete with. He lives around Pendle Hill also I believe, so Both Ewood and Turf Moor are a much shorter trips than his current drive than down the M55....

If you mean Burnley, then maybe they are, but I can't see why he'd be tempted to leave the donkey lashers for that lot, they're not any financially better off, and other than Austin they don't have any stand-out players. His motivation for coming to us would be that we can both pay him more money and offer a larger transfer budget than B*rnley or Blackpool can compete with. He lives around Pendle Hill also I believe, so Both Ewood and Turf Moor are a much shorter trips than his current drive than down the M55....

They are debt free and they are not run by Venkys.

He did live that way but just recently moved to Lyham,he could get a lift of Hendry!

He lives around Pendle Hill also I believe, so Both Ewood and Turf Moor are a much shorter trips than his current drive than down the M55....

Recently bought a house in Lytham apparently. Not that that makes any real difference, still only 45 mins drive to Ewood.

Thought McCarthy was the overwhelming preferred choice of our 6 fingered friends? Has that gone by the wayside?.

Interesting that Burnley are said to be interested in Holloway. Someone trying to force Shebby's hand to make a move perhaps?

He's just got a new home on Fylde Coast by the way.

Good shout,but my order Grayson,McCarthy then Holloway.

I've put Holloway first because Grayson hasn't actually got a team promoted to the PL before (though I'm sure he will at some point) and McCarthy has had more money to spend than Holloway. I just think IH would be a good fit right at this moment, with instilling discipline, fitness and working with what he's got. Like Hughes, good eye for a cheap player and able to get the most out of them.

Archived