BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On October 15th 2001 Rovers lost to Fulham and were 15th after 10 games and 16 points off 2nd place

The team then won 6 on the spin, only lost 3 more matches out of the next 36 and still only just pipped Bolton to promotion with 1 game to spare.

I can't see this current squad repeating that feat but with less matches to do it in (whilst bedding in a new manager)

Been clinging to that stat for weeks.

Around the 125 year celebrations seem to remember ?

The reason people don't want McKinlay is because he's mates with Kean and left us under a cloud. Fine. This is what should have been stated in the press release.

I appreciate what you're saying about Solksjaer, but, I would not be happy waiting until November for a managerial novice. It may very well be too late by then.

A player who takes his money despite being fit and not playing is in my opinion a cheat, cheating the club, manager and supporters, how do you justify to your players something like that and ask them to give something you were not prepared to give yourself, Sherwood, Shearer etc were 100% players and would demand it from their squad or else!!

As for OGS being a novice, I dont think he is, I feel he will be a good manager, he has had almost 2 years in the job and will have learned quite a bit over that time, knows the PL and most of the players, good contacts within the game and well respected!

On October 15th 2001 Rovers lost to Fulham and were 15th after 10 games and 16 points off 2nd place

The team then won 6 on the spin, only lost 3 more matches out of the next 36 and still only just pipped Bolton to promotion with 1 game to spare.

I can't see this current squad repeating that feat but with less matches to do it in (whilst bedding in a new manager)

Sorry to be pedantic but it was October 2000

I couldn't agree more. The squad that Souness had was far superior to the present one and there is no way you can see the present players winning five or six games on the bounce. As you say it takes time to bed in a new manager and this season may well have to be written off. I'm reminded of when Gordon Lee arrived at the club half way during the 1973-74 season when the Rovers were well placed for promotion. However, it took him half a season to assess the players and get rid of those who didn't conform to his ideas. The following season we won the Third Division Championship and one can only hope that whoever is appointed is given time to assemble a squad that THEY want and given time to regain Premier League status. From what I have seen so far I really don't believe the players we have are good enough to go up this time.

Not sure about OGS.

Sometimes you can look at a person and see managerial potential, but I don't see that, at the moment, in Ollie.

He managed United Reserves as well as Molde so Fergie must see potential in him.

I don't know what it is I like about him and why he's my realistic preferred choice but he is.

Luckily we aren't 16 points off second place or i'd agree that the situation would indeed look dire. A loss tonight and it could feel more like your scenario though.

Not yet. By the time we get a manager we will be and with far less games left than the 2001 team had. And that team would wipe the floor with our current one

Not sure about OGS.

Sometimes you can look at a person and see managerial potential, but I don't see that, at the moment, in Ollie.

Isn't that because he's been managing abroad for 2 years though Den?

Everything I've heard sounds very positive. From Fergie's appraisal, his performance at Molde to even how OGS used to study the game from the bench as a player, thus making him such a great impact sub for United.

I'm just not happy waiting until the end of November. We're sliding down the league like a rocket at the moment, so God knows where we'd be if we have to endure another month of this uncertainty.

Didnt we gain promotion in May 2001???

Not yet. By the time we get a manager we will be and with far less games left than the 2001 team had. And that team would wipe the floor with our current one

Would say the next two games are crucial. If we win them then the new manager's job looks a lot easier.

Reading did something similar to what you're suggesting we did in the 00/01 season - last season they took something like 46 (or there about) from the remaining 51 points. I'd argue our side is better than theirs was.

We definitely have the squad to go on an unbeaten run in this league under the right stewardship

admittedly, the squad would be pummelled in the premier league but this is the championship & our first team is as good as any other if not better

This is the championship, teams take points off each other all over this league & fortunes change very quickly. If we get a manager that can stabilize the ship add a little confidence & possibly add a couple of fresh faces in January we will be flying!!

The only problem is getting that manager, he is out there im just not sure if Venkys know how to find him!!

Isn't that because he's been managing abroad for 2 years though Den?

Everything I've heard sounds very positive. From Fergie's appraisal, his performance at Molde to even how OGS used to study the game from the bench as a player, thus making him such a great impact sub for United.

I'm just not happy waiting until the end of November. We're sliding down the league like a rocket at the moment, so God knows where we'd be if we have to endure another month of this uncertainty.

I mean by looking at his personality, not how he's managing in Norway - I know nothing about that.

He's always come across as a shy, softly spoken lad. I've never seen anything in his persona that suggests that he's tough enough, or single minded enough. Sometimes you see a mean streak in people, someone who makes you sit up and listen - just as Souey still does, but I just haven't seen anything like that in his personality. That's all.

I couldn't agree more. The squad that Souness had was far superior to the present one and there is no way you can see the present players winning five or six games on the bounce. As you say it takes time to bed in a new manager and this season may well have to be written off. I'm reminded of when Gordon Lee arrived at the club half way during the 1973-74 season when the Rovers were well placed for promotion. However, it took him half a season to assess the players and get rid of those who didn't conform to his ideas. The following season we won the Third Division Championship and one can only hope that whoever is appointed is given time to assemble a squad that THEY want and given time to regain Premier League status. From what I have seen so far I really don't believe the players we have are good enough to go up this time.

I didn't think Gordon Lee did arrive midway through that season Parson, my hazy recollection is that after Furphy left and we were at the time well placed for a promotion push November time, we then had to endure a horrific rest of the season slump under Dick(head) Dinnis. I didn't think Lee arrived until close season 74/5 and that he kicked off instantly in style.

My worry would be exactly the same thing will happen the longer we are stuck with Black much as I give him credit for officially ruling himself out of the running if that's what he's done. Not read it yet today.

I do think the squad we've got is comfortably good enough to go up, but only if we stay reasonably in touch. 5 points off the pace is doable. 10 points is hard work especially if the teams at the top maintain roughly a two point per game pace. Doing a "Reading" is always theoretically possible but not likely. No Club can rely on it.

We definitely have the squad to go on an unbeaten run in this league under the right stewardship

admittedly, the squad would be pummelled in the premier league but this is the championship & our first team is as good as any other if not better

This is the championship, teams take points off each other all over this league & fortunes change very quickly. If we get a manager that can stabilize the ship add a little confidence & possibly add a couple of fresh faces in January we will be flying!!

The only problem is getting that manager, he is out there im just not sure if Venkys know how to find him!!

Which player/s in our squad has/have been outstanding this season?

So it Wednesday! Who have we appointed! *excited*

If you're annoyed, apparently you have to be annoyed at BRAG because they scuppered a managerial appointment. If you are happy McKinlay was appointed apparently you have to be thankful for BRAG's actions.

If you didn't want McKinlay there's no point being too annoyed that nobody is appointed today.

Either way, no reason to be excited.

Archived