BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

http://www.lancashir...cision/?ref=twt

Sounds like Rovers are set to wait for OGS to finish his season with Molde then appoint him manager.

Not a bad choice, though I don't think I can take another 3 weeks of this insanity.

I couldn't agree more about Black. Credit to him for coming out and saying it how it is. He has admitted he isn't in the running and he has told Shebby to get his arse into gear and get this sorted.

As for OGS, I just can't see it happening. I don't think anyone at the club are capable of getting a manager who is currently in a job.

Players, coaching staff and fans are in limbo and we need someone to come in and get a grip of the situation.

I thought it was fairly straight forward to get a manager who already has a job? Call his chairman and ask to speak with him. If he gives permission, set a lunch date and get things worked out. If not, move on.

And if we're in limbo (and truly waiting for OGS) bring back Parkes on a short term gig.

The players are more than good enough, they just lack confidence which needs to be built up. Thats why we need a proper manager to motivate them and push the right buttons

I agree with this. We have a very good squad (though the defense has issues). With proper management we should be cleaning up.

Yep, and I expect another statement if we have to wait until November for a managerial rookie. Saying that, I think Glen quite likes OGS, so maybe not.

Why? OGS is a young, up and coming manager in the vein that Rovers originally said they wanted. He isn't a coach, he's a manager. And by all accounts a potentially great manager.

As for OGS being a novice, I dont think he is, I feel he will be a good manager, he has had almost 2 years in the job and will have learned quite a bit over that time, knows the PL and most of the players, good contacts within the game and well respected!

And managed ManU's reserves.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a point on OGS, if we were to decide he's the one and he wants to come, we would absolutely have to get him tied down to a binding agreement to arrive on a certain date.

The last thing we would want would be for him to agree to start on say December 1st but then "do a Sven" because he'd had cold feet or received a better offer in the meantime.

Leaving us to start again completely from scratch.

Whether or not such an arrangement should be announced publically would have to be a matter between the two Clubs.

Do we have the nous to make such a potentially inspired appointment though?

If you're annoyed, apparently you have to be annoyed at BRAG because they scuppered a managerial appointment. If you are happy McKinlay was appointed apparently you have to be thankful for BRAG's actions.

If you didn't want McKinlay there's no point being too annoyed that nobody is appointed today.

Either way, no reason to be excited.

the annoying thing is that Shebby thought Billy was the right man and it took him over a month to decide. Next month it will be David Batty's turn!

I like OGS but I just think the timing is not right for us at the moment. We need somebody in now and there are several decent candidates that are ready-made to step in. Let's quickly get this resolved, let's get somebody in who most of the fans would get behind from the start and let's begin to move forward!

Just a point on OGS, if we were to decide he's the one and he wants to come, we would absolutely have to get him tied down to a binding agreement to arrive on a certain date.

The last thing we would want would be for him to agree to start on say December 1st but then "do a Sven" because he'd had cold feet or received a better offer in the meantime.

Leaving us to start again completely from scratch.

Whether or not such an arrangement should be announced publically would have to be a matter between the two Clubs.

Do we have the nous to make such a potentially inspired appointment though?

Heres my thought, say OGS does come and by whatever means gets us promoted, do you not think he would be in line to succeed Sir Alex after all didn't he say only another two seasons. we could lose him after only one season and be back to square one.

For me I would have Sherwood or Shearer, they know the club and supporters and fit into the category of up and coming young English Coach/Manager who could be groomed to be hopefully excellent managers.Who knows its a gamble but hey so was Di Matteo and look at how he has progressed albeit with a good team, AVB couldn't get the same out the players as Di Matteo so maybe it's a lot to do with personalities, sometimes gambles pay off, go on Shebby give it a go.

Which player/s in our squad has/have been outstanding this season?

None of them!! That is my point, we have players that are capable of being outstanding but have not yet shown it

it is a managers job to get the best out of these players & if we get the right one we will cruise this league in my opinion.

The players that can win us promotion are already here im confident of that! We now need to be the fittest, be tactically aware & have desire, all of which a good manager will instil!!

None of them!! That is my point, we have players that are capable of being outstanding but have not yet shown it

it is a managers job to get the best out of these players & if we get the right one we will cruise this league in my opinion.

The players that can win us promotion are already here im confident of that! We now need to be the fittest, be tactically aware & have desire, all of which a good manager will instil!!

So not one player has played anything like well all season - under two different managers - and that's all down to the manager? No way Jose. Managers can gat tactics badly wrong and pick the wrong teams, but they don't make every player in a side perform badly every game.

I didn't think Gordon Lee did arrive midway through that season Parson, my hazy recollection is that after Furphy left and we were at the time well placed for a promotion push November time, we then had to endure a horrific rest of the season slump under Dick(head) Dinnis. I didn't think Lee arrived until close season 74/5 and that he kicked off instantly in style.

My worry would be exactly the same thing will happen the longer we are stuck with Black much as I give him credit for officially ruling himself out of the running if that's what he's done. Not read it yet today.

I do think the squad we've got is comfortably good enough to go up, but only if we stay reasonably in touch. 5 points off the pace is doable. 10 points is hard work especially if the teams at the top maintain roughly a two point per game pace. Doing a "Reading" is always theoretically possible but not likely. No Club can rely on it.

Your memory is playing tricks Rev. Lee arrived in January 1974 when we were still well placed for promotion. He lost four of his first eight games and then took the rest of the season to assess his squad and released a number of players at the end of that season to allow him the space to rebuild. Only one of the last eleven League games was won. John O'Mara, who the club had spent big money on - by our standards at the time - was given away for free. Souness and Kendall took us on two good runs but I would still argue that this squad isn't as good as the one Souness had available. Whoever we appoint - and I honestly don't think the club have a clue as to who that will be - is going to have his work cut out to get this squad up without some major pruning and some astute additions.

Heres my thought, say OGS does come and by whatever means gets us promoted, do you not think he would be in line to succeed Sir Alex after all didn't he say only another two seasons. we could lose him after only one season and be back to square one.

For me I would have Sherwood or Shearer, they know the club and supporters and fit into the category of up and coming young English Coach/Manager who could be groomed to be hopefully excellent managers.Who knows its a gamble but hey so was Di Matteo and look at how he has progressed albeit with a good team, AVB couldn't get the same out the players as Di Matteo so maybe it's a lot to do with personalities, sometimes gambles pay off, go on Shebby give it a go.

So if Sherwood or shearer do well they wont be touted for bigger jobs at Tottenham or Newcastle or what about England???

It is no longer 1995, we are not only rivalled in this country by Manchester United.

Blackburn rovers are a small club who have done well from managers who have used us to improve their name & i will be happy if that continues.

Mark Hughes & Graeme Souness are our most successful managers since Kenny won the premier league & both left for what they thought would be bigger & better things.

Dont be mistaken, should this appointment be successful he or she (i wouldnt put it passed Venkys) will move on too!!!

doubt this is true but playing pool for the local on monday night , an opposing player who claimed to drive the Ressies to games (even that could be BS) claimed Shearer had been spoken to by Shaw , 1 condition he wanted was John Williams to return and Shebby to basically shut up and disappear

So not one player has played anything like well all season - under two different managers - and that's all down to the manager? No way Jose. Managers can gat tactics badly wrong and pick the wrong teams, but they don't make every player in a side perform badly every game.

They haven't imo. We haven't played well as a team but numerous individuals such as Ribeiro, Markus Olssen, Etuhu, Nunes, Rochina, Rhodes, Gomes and even Dann have shown plenty in flashes this season to suggest there is more than enough raw material for a decent manager to work with.

There's only Murphy I would say who's played badly every game and I still think there's a lot more to come from him as well under a decent manager.

What does the link say? its blocked at work?

Billy McKinley is as short as 1/5 to be appointed next Blackburn manager, but punters may want to think twice before assuming that this is a sure thing.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was considered a shoo-in at 1/10 to replace Alex McLeish at Aston Villa earlier this summer, but turned down the role to stay in Norway.

McKinley seems keener to take the reins at Ewood Park, but the Blackburn supporters and current club Fulham are set to make this difficult.

Blackburn fans are seemingly unwilling to put up with another experimental appointment after the failings of Steve Kean and want a new boss with some experience.

This seems fair enough and chasing newbie managers suggests that Blackburn are attempting to find a cheap option.

Given that the manager should be the most important man at the club, this does seem slightly strange, especially as £8m has already been spent this season on buying a new striker in Jordan Rhodes, suggesting money is available.

Meanwhile, McKinley is currently first-team coach at Fulham and the London club have already knocked back one approach from Blackburn to talk to him.

Another attempt is likely to be made, but Fulham will drive a hard bargain to keep McKinley in his current post at Craven Cottage.

These points make McKinley a far from certain appointment and as his price is so short to take over, there is value elsewhere in the market.

Barnsley seem a typical Championship club these days and surviving relegation will remain a decent feat for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, manager Keith Hill would almost certainly have his head turned by the opportunity of battling for promotion to the Premier League and he has been doing an assured job at Oakhill.

Hill is 25/1 to be the next Blackburn boss.

WOW!! every word gets analysed on this board doesnt it!!

Of course there have been players that have played well & as i have said there are players who are capable of being outstanding but none have been outstanding. Neither Black or Kean have been able to produce this & I am not surprised as neither is a proper manager

Lets take Hughes reign at rovers for example, how many players was he able to transform into what looked like world beaters for us?? I mean, David Bentley scored a hattrick at Old trafford!! He kept Bellamy quiet for a year, he was able to Keep Santa cruz fit, he made Aarron Mokoena look like a footballer, he found Samba & Nelson down the back of a couch!! I could go on & on

A proper manager like Hughes will get our current squad promoted!!

Your memory is playing tricks Rev. Lee arrived in January 1974 when we were still well placed for promotion. He lost four of his first eight games and then took the rest of the season to assess his squad and released a number of players at the end of that season to allow him the space to rebuild. Only one of the last eleven League games was won. John O'Mara, who the club had spent big money on - by our standards at the time - was given away for free. Souness and Kendall took us on two good runs but I would still argue that this squad isn't as good as the one Souness had available. Whoever we appoint - and I honestly don't think the club have a clue as to who that will be - is going to have his work cut out to get this squad up without some major pruning and some astute additions.

Thanks. When was Dinnis in caretaker charge then?

Must have just seemed like a lot longer!

WOW!! every word gets analysed on this board doesnt it!!

Analysed? You said none of the players have played well this season. Now you say some of them have. Make your mind up.

Rev says there are quite a few players who've played well also, yet we've been outplayed in every game? Someone's making things up as they go.

BTW, when did Bentley score a hat trick at old trafford?

Rev says there are quite a few players who've played well also, yet we've been outplayed in every game? Someone's making things up as they go.

I said certain players have produced in flashes. We didn't get fourteen points from the first six games purely by accident.

A decent manager ought to be able to extract more consistency out of the players imo.

Couple of tweets from this morning. Will Watt is the Blackpool Gazette journalist.

William Watt@WillWatt

I'm afraid these Holloway exit rumours just won't go away.

BBC Lancashire@BBCLancashire

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway wouldn't be drawn on speculation linking him with a move away from Bloomfield Road.

Holloway is my pick of the bunch with Grayson second and McCarthy third. We can't wait for OGS, and all the other options have either not managed in this country, never mind this division or are a bit dodgy or aren't managers.

What I would love is for Dalglish or Hughes to come back and continue what happened before but that's never going to happen for various reasons.

So I hope they see some sense and employ a guy who has been there and done it, and still has a lot to prove and I think that can be said of my first two picks.

Archived