BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to disagree with this decision other than to say he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Ordinarily, sacking someone after ten games would be ridiculous, but this is no ordinary situation. Our club is in freefall and without swift action the damage could be permanent. Hanging onto Berg and letting him spend money in January when it seems unlikely he's good enough would have been a folly.

Considering the wage bill and the declining attendances, getting promoted either this season or next is an absolute priority. It might seem a million miles away but I don't even think we would stagnate in the Championship; in the PL the TV money helps to keep you going which is reasonably equally distributed, whereas in the Championship the money you spend is far more dependent on your gate receipts (especially with the new fair play rules coming in), where we would be near the bottom of the league. Currently the parachute payments we are getting are bucking that but they halve after next season and disappear after four.

If we get the right manager in and can add some steel into the midfield, a CB should Givet leave and someone decent out wide, making the play offs this season isn't out of the question, or at the very least we could start an upward curve a la Souness in his first season.

I am really not holding my breath though.

Hard to disagree with this decision other than to say he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Ordinarily, sacking someone after ten games would be ridiculous, but this is no ordinary situation. Our club is in freefall and without swift action the damage could be permanent. Hanging onto Berg and letting him spend money in January when it seems unlikely he's good enough would have been a folly.

Considering the wage bill and the declining attendances, getting promoted either this season or next is an absolute priority. It might seem a million miles away but I don't even think we would stagnate in the Championship; in the PL the TV money helps to keep you going which is reasonably equally distributed, whereas in the Championship the money you spend is far more dependent on your gate receipts (especially with the new fair play rules coming in), where we would be near the bottom of the league. Currently the parachute payments we are getting are bucking that but they halve after next season and disappear after four.

If we get the right manager in and can add some steel into the midfield, a CB should Givet leave and someone decent out wide, making the play offs this season isn't out of the question, or at the very least we could start an upward curve a la Souness in his first season.

I am really not holding my breath though.

Very good summary.

Saddened but not surprised by this news. The one positive memory from his brief reign at Rovers that I will take is that day in November down at Peterborough, when for one day only it felt like the 'old days'. Best of luck for the future Henning.

Guest Wen Y Hu
The article in today's Times of India reporting that Henning Berg has been sacked is interesting. There is no direct quote from Balaji indicating that Berg had been sacked at the time of interview and there is every possibility that the game against Middlesbrough had not finished at the time of the interview.

Given the time difference, the final whistle in yesterday's defeat to Middlesbrough would have sounded around 10:30pm in Pune where it is stated the report is from. Even assuming that Henning was given his cards at the final whistle, it would be remarkable that the article reached the presses in time for publication last night. Moreover, it would represent remarkably decisive action for an owner that is better known for procrastination and general all-round dithering.

Meanwhile, Ronaldinho is due to meet the Venky's director Balaji Rao on Friday when the former Brazilian star is over in India for a promotional initiative.

Guest Wen Y Hu
Times of India is published across the country, not just Pune. Also, deadlines would be around 11pm-midnight. Therefore, this could be true.

Like I said in another thread, I'm expecting him to leave, however nothing is official unless it's on our website.

Precisely, BnW. That would mean Balaji calls up the Riverside after full-time around 10:30pm in Pune and gives the go-ahead for Henning to be sacked, gets on the blower to the local TOI reporter and gives a non-committal quote, the reporter then sits down and types out the article to send off to see if what is no more than a filler can be squeezed in. It is possible, but in my view somewhat unlikely.

I suspect that the article was prepared in advance of full-time at the Riverside and that the key in this decisive action is the appearance of Ronaldinho alongside Balaji on Friday in Pune. If it weren't for the latter, he wouldn't have felt the need to comment, I don't believe. Also, since this was in the printed media but not online media, my guess is that he didn't reckon on it being picked up quite so quickly around the globe.

The report is from the Pune offices, by the way, as it states at the top of the article.

And, yes, Berg has been walking dead for a while now, but we'll just have to wait for official confirmation.

I would rather Balaji unprofessionally dismiss Berg and swiftly appoint a good manager than dilly dally around with professional etiquette and find ourselves without a new manager in place.

I agree with the principle, but it really isn't hard to give Berg a call and let him know before letting the Times of India know.

It's indicative our owners are still as clueless as ever.

I would rather Balaji unprofessionally dismiss Berg and swiftly appoint a good manager than dilly dally around with professional etiquette and find ourselves without a new manager in place.

Spot on, from the perspective of the club this needs resolving ASAP and it really does not matter who's feelings get hurt.

Not fair on berg but the club is bigger than any individual.

I’m sure I like many have nothing but sympathy for Berg, clearly he wasn’t up to the job, but was given the role by a Malaysian TV pundit, what do those two keaning confused idiots in Pune expect?

I don’t buy into all the talk of Singh picking the team and Singh sorting out the tactics, much in the same way as I never bought the rumours of Jack Walker doing the same. Berg was appointed, was out of his depth, and if Berg goes the TV pundit should be fired on the spot.

My only concern is we put the club in the hands of Shaw and our PR guru, I have nothing against Shaw but he’s not the calibre that should be anywhere near our club, and PR guru Agnew was the worst press officer in the premiership and IMO should also be nowhere near the club because he does nothing and well paid for doing nothing.

I’d also add that IMO all the talk of Hughes coming back is complete and utter nonsense, they’ll not pay his wages and they’ll not pay for his staff either, so lets forget that one for a start.

Singh out

Agnew Out

Think it's the Kidd situation again. Whoever comes in won't be able to do much this season.

The best we can hope for is for the new guy to clear the deadwood and get us promoted next season.

That was always on the agenda for me once Kean was still in charge !

Unlike Kidds time , we don't have the players anymore !

I’d also add that IMO all the talk of Hughes coming back is complete and utter nonsense, they’ll not pay his wages and they’ll not pay for his staff either, so lets forget that one for a start.

They will have to pay someone's wages and staff now they've got rid of everyone and paid up their huge contracts.

Archived