BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

Don't think I've been negative.

Clearly, more points would have been welcome as good vibes and better football alone do not get you promotion!

Holloway has inherited a team that's flying at Palace but surely comparison with Dyche, McCarthy and Freedman would not be unreasonable given that they have inherited clubs with big problems and that were much further down the table than Rovers. Berg's 2 points compares unfavourably to 6 for Dyche and McCarthy and 5 for wee Dougie. Those are measurable facts.

You are entitled to your opinion but I have to disagree on the point of who was in worse shape. Sure the other teams were lower in the league but that does not mean they inherited a worse set up. Look at how they hired a manager to how we went about it for a start. No, their results were poorer but I don't think they had the same level of damage done to their entire infrastructure that we had. We could or should perhaps look at the level of competition they faced also. As you said Bergs first game was against Palace who you said was flying. I see your point and it has validity just not on the level of who was in worse shape. McCarthy I will give you though, that's excellent work to turn them around a bit. I think Henning's journey is a long and winding one he has to reincarnate the very soul of the club and I doubt that any of the other teams new managers had to deal with fitness levels as poor as ours. Early indications are very positive. He was not my choice either but I am quite pleased with the early signs but he must continue to get more and more out of this team. I believe he just might do it.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berg has a huge problem.

He prefers 1 up front which doesn't suit Rhodes.

I didn't go today.

So you should stop there then....he prefers 2 upfront, with quick wingers, and prefers to have his players passing the ball on the deck.....

Where I become guarded, is when supporters get overly excited with what they have seen in just two matches (Hudders & Brum) and two matches that have yielded just two points.

I will look how things are towards the end of December when Berg will have completed 12 games in charge and if things are looking good, I will renew the season tickets that I relinquished this season, that is, of course, if half season tickets are available.

So basically if we are doing well, you will come back, if not, you will stay away?? Strange type of fan that.

Had you been at those 2 games, you would see exactly why fans are excited by what they have seen. We were about 10 seconds from 3 pts at Huddersfield, and yesterday also should have probably taken all 3 points. Yes we didnt, but considering how poor we were pre Berg - its already a HUGE improvement in terms of tactics, performance, passion, effort and the selection of players.

As with your views on Rochina I completely disagree Tom. From what I heard about Rhodes before he joined i.e. that he was "a fox in the box" I wasn't expecting much from his all round play at all.

However having seen him first hand and not having to rely on what other people have said, his all round play is much better than I expected. If the service up to him is half decent he scores his share and brings others into play just fine. If the service is really poor he struggles a bit but you could say that about 99.99% of all strikers.

Spot on..... looks a real talent.... 6 goals for a team who hasnt created too much for him so far is pretty good. I can see him & Rochina starting to click much more over the coming weeks and months.

So you should stop there then....he prefers 2 upfront, with quick wingers, and prefers to have his players passing the ball on the deck.....

So basically if we are doing well, you will come back, if not, you will stay away?? Strange type of fan that.

Had you been at those 2 games, you would see exactly why fans are excited by what they have seen. We were about 10 seconds from 3 pts at Huddersfield, and yesterday also should have probably taken all 3 points. Yes we didnt, but considering how poor we were pre Berg - its already a HUGE improvement in terms of tactics, performance, passion, effort and the selection of players.

Spot on..... looks a real talent.... 6 goals for a team who hasnt created too much for him so far is pretty good. I can see him & Rochina starting to click much more over the coming weeks and months.

Hughsey, for once I totally agree, we are on the way forward, I have a real gut feeling for Berg and I am hearing really positive things about him from Brockhall too!!

• Backroom

Interesting tweet by Orr this morning saying lets see what today has in store for him and whatever will be will be

Could be on his way out I imagine surely now we have a manager with sense he isn't needed seeing as Henley should be first choice and Lowe and Bruno can cover

From my perspective, all this is very simple.

Rovers have a new manager who has made a favourable impression inside his first 10 days. Again, I will reiterate, he is being compared against all the very worse that Kean's reign embraced and if had not been able to create a favourable impression already, then we should all be very, very worried. I will judge Berg over a reasonable period of time. Okay, forget about the Palace match but two points against two moderate, at best, teams is not sufficient to get the church bells ringing throughout the area, irrespective of there being 'a good vibe around the place' and let's face it, IMO, Ewood has stunk on matchdays in recent times, so Saturday's 'good vibe' should be of no surprise.

What we still cannot get away from is that our club is owned and run by, IMO, clowns. So having a 'sensible' manager goes only part way to restoring the patient to full health.

As for what type of supporter am I - plastic or fair weather. I don't want to engage in a great willy-waving contest but until very recently, have followed Rovers home and away for fiftyish years including the dark and dismal Third Division days. The big difference now is that the club, IMO, has lot its heart, soul and identity and might struggle, ever, to get these back; as such, a huge affinity has been lost with many. In a nutshell, as things stand, results and performances are the only things what will get me dipping my hand into my pocket once more where Rovers are concerned.

Rovers have a new manager who has made a favourable impression inside his first 10 days. Again, I will reiterate, he is being compared against all the very worse that Kean's reign embraced and if had not been able to create a favourable impression already, then we should all be very, very worried. I will judge Berg over a reasonable period of time. Okay, forget about the Palace match but two points against two moderate, at best, teams is not sufficient to get the church bells ringing throughout the area, irrespective of there being 'a good vibe around the place' and let's face it, IMO, Ewood has stunk on matchdays in recent times, so Saturday's 'good vibe' should be of no surprise.

What we still cannot get away from is that our club is owned and run by, IMO, clowns. So having a 'sensible' manager goes only part way to restoring the patient to full health.

As for what type of supporter am I - plastic or fair weather. I don't want to engage in a great willy-waving contest but until very recently, have followed Rovers home and away for fiftyish years including the dark and dismal Third Division days. The big difference now is that the club, IMO, has lot its heart, soul and identity and might struggle, ever, to get these back; as such, a huge affinity has been lost with many. In a nutshell, as things stand, results and performances are the only things what will get me dipping my hand into my pocket once more where Rovers are concerned.

Shades of 1960!

Blackburn Rovers are bigger than our current owners and will be here when they have long gone, when we were in the 3rd div did you ever think you would see us win the league again?

It is part of being a football club supporter, you never know what is around the corner

Good comments again, tells it how it is.

Got a good feeling about the Peterborough game. With the matches having come thick and fast Berg hasn't really had an extended period on the training pitch with team...which makes the turnaround in playing style even more remarkable.

Hopefully he can find a way of cutting out the individual mistakes at the back. As a unit we look far more solid but individual mistakes are still costing us goals. Hopefully Givet will be back because that'll definitely help.

edit

Interesting tweet by Orr this morning saying lets see what today has in store for him and whatever will be will be

Could be on his way out I imagine surely now we have a manager with sense he isn't needed seeing as Henley should be first choice and Lowe and Bruno can cover

was something in sunday people saying he can leave on loan.

can go for me. Henley has been good and Bruno good back up.

You aren't alone, just look at Saturday's gate even with kids for a quid.

Many communities would fight for their club. Any excuse for many in Blackburn and it's environs to turn their collective backs.

There's nothing certain about that Yoda. Publishing some reliable accounts would help a bit.

It surprises me that a lot of fans do not appear to be worried about the financial situation at the club. With the club spending a fortune this year and officials at the club saying it's 'promotion or bust' you would think there would be more concern in the fan base. The club knows more about the financial situation than we do, so if they say promotion has to be achieved not in three years time, not two years time but this season then that is pretty alarming I would say.

On Berg I have been generally happy with what I have seen so far. On the playing side there has been a clear change in style of play and several players who had been frozen out during Kean's tenure who I thought could make a contribution are now back in the side. He still needs to work a bit on the balance of the team between defence and attack. He’s got to get a lot more out of Rhodes, he’s by far our best striker and we have spent a fortune to get him.

In terms of his media profile and presence I have been happy with most of the comments he has come out with, we aren't getting the bullshit excuses that Kean came out with. I can't ever see Berg mentioning that we lost a game because there wasn't enough dew on the pitch. I thought however he should have handled the team sheet issue slightly better but that was far more down to other individuals at the club.

So I am happy with Berg overall, but he needs to start picking up some wins and soon. This is after all a results based business and with the looming financial crisis at the club it's imperative we get promoted at the first time asking.

Managers utlimately are judged on the number of wins and points they get on the board, otherwise (at normal clubs) they lose their jobs. Berg has made a poor start and has it all to do.

A poor start? The Palace game had nothing to do with him and the point at Huddersfield was a good one.

Strange comment IMO.

You aren't alone, just look at Saturday's gate even with kids for a quid.

Many communities would fight for their club. Any excuse for many in Blackburn and it's environs to turn their collective backs.

This is true and always has been for some Rovers fans. 1960 for gods sake, ok that was a cock up but we were a good club before that but people still turned their backs over one thing, pathetic. Everyone one is angry at what Venkys have done but playing in the championship is the real reason thousands are staying away and they have perfect excuses this time. The crowds in the 80's at times were a joke, yes different times but people managed to turn up for big games in their thousands occasionally but wouldn't go week in week out for run of the mill games. An element of our support is so fickle it's untrue :(

This is true and always has been for some Rovers fans. 1960 for gods sake, ok that was a cock up but we were a good club before that but people still turned their backs over one thing, pathetic. Everyone one is angry at what Venkys have done but playing in the championship is the real reason thousands are staying away and they have perfect excuses this time. The crowds in the 80's at times were a joke, yes different times but people managed to turn up for big games in their thousands occasionally but wouldn't go week in week out for run of the mill games. An element of our support is so fickle it's untrue :(

I thought this had been proven as untrue.

season ending '99 [ relegation season] we averaged 25773.

The following season in the lower tier [a season where we finished mid table] we averaged 19253.

Last season ending 2011 relegation season] we averaged 22551 [down from c25000 pre Venky's]

This season we are averaging 13400.

How is that explained?

All the more reason that the present owners should not abuse them, it is a results BUSINESS after all, can't imagine any other business doing what this lot have done to its customer base

So Mercerman Etal are all staying away to see how things improve??? Whats that about ? There is no such thing as the high road etc .anymore ,anyone that says they are staying away as a form of protest I.M.O. are talking utter Keanox. I understand people staying away because they have become disenfranchised, hell after all that`s gone on in the last couple of years I`m surprised anyone goes to Ewood, but please let`s call a spade a spade, Things have improved and dare I say it are continually improving ,the team seem more organised the tactics are getting better and Kean is not at the club anymore. What more exactly can any body expect ? we still have the same players ,the transfer window is closed,all Berg can do is make the most of what he has inherited. The rot started a long time ago ,players are not fit and the whole club has been fractured. If the club was sold and we had a complete rewind to J.W. coming back we would still be in exactly the same position. The only way forward is to get behind the club, the manager and the team. Viva le revolution.

So Mercerman Etal are all staying away to see how things improve??? Whats that about ? There is no such thing as the high road etc .anymore ,anyone that says they are staying away as a form of protest I.M.O. are talking utter Keanox. I understand people staying away because they have become disenfranchised, hell after all that`s gone on in the last couple of years I`m surprised anyone goes to Ewood, but please let`s call a spade a spade, Things have improved and dare I say it are continually improving ,the team seem more organised the tactics are getting better and Kean is not at the club anymore. What more exactly can any body expect ? we still have the same players ,the transfer window is closed,all Berg can do is make the most of what he has inherited. The rot started a long time ago ,players are not fit and the whole club has been fractured. If the club was sold and we had a complete rewind to J.W. coming back we would still be in exactly the same position. The only way forward is to get behind the club, the manager and the team. Viva le revolution.

+100

Archived