BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 2 - With Poll

Next Rovers Manager  

547 members have voted

1. 1. Which, if any of the following would be acceptable as the new manager to you?

• Sven Goran Erikkson
    • Mark Bowen
    • Peter Taylor
    • Billy Davies
    • Gary Bowyer
    • Judan Ali/Kevin MacDonald Combi
    • Shebby Singh
    • Phil Brown
    • None of the above

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone really care anymore?

Getting that way. I always thought the worst thing to happen to any club was a winding up order and going out of business. Currently I'd take the club being shut down then apply to play in evostick division one north season 2013-14 and do a Stanley esq non league revival stint just to rid ourselves of venkys, shagnew, shabby. And the DAILY humiliation.

not my ideal candidate but hey these are the candidates we are now looking at but the press release by BRAG must be off putting for any potential new manager no matter who it just adds to the pressure of the job !

Look behind the headline, think out of the box and imo it's just the standard opening for discussion.

I'd wager Karl Oyston will be rubbing his hands in glee. Make no mistake that man is a shrewd operator who can run rings around the lunes in Pune. Taking candy off a baby springs to mind. The chance to negotiate compensation with the Venkymob is like giving him the keys to the kingdom. He can get managers of Appletons quaility any day of the week and I'd not bet that this isn't all his idea from the start anyway! Just a quick conference call with Chancer Derek and Shagnew (both of whom are prob aware that they are nearing the end of their shelf life, both of whom will be for a last suck on the tit, and both of whom Oyston will no doubt be quite well aquainted with already and it's a goer. Just 3 more dipping their bread into the chicken gravy whilst the going is good and absolutely nothing to do with finding a quality manager for the club! Thats just an irrelevance. ^_^

Shebby had his turn and picked the plantpot Berg just cos he was a former player. Can't believe the absurd abuse for the potential Appleton appointment seems quite logical to me remember we are little Blackburn Rovers who have punched way beyond our weight for the last 10yrs or more. No well known experienced manager Hughes / SGE would give us a second glance and I would take an upcoming Mgr like Appleton over the failed has beens i.e Davies / Brown which have been championed on this thread. Don't forget the 'fans group' created a website/facebook page condemning the potential of Big Sam in preference for Ince history and I don't need to say anything further.

Potential? Up and coming? Your just guessing again as there is absolutely nothing in Appleton's previous record to demonstrate he is the perfect candidate for the manager's position at Rovers. Which begs the question - Why is he our first choice? What criteria is being or has been employed to reach this conclusion? Two arms, two legs, two quid, let him in?

Clearly in the abscence of any sound reasoning, MA is being considered due to his former relationship with Shaw and Shagnew's opinion that he is the real deal.

So what? If Flitcroft was the man they wanted, they should've appointed him. To protest against the managerial appointment rather than the owners is stupid. Get rid of the disease rather than hiding the symptoms.

Erm......you're missing my point. My post was a response to someone who accused Blackburn Rovers Action Group of being pro-Shebby Singh or being his puppet, and claimed that had Shebby Singh been the one who suggested Appleton, there would never have been a statement against him. Which I proved wrong with the example of Billy McKinlay.

I agree with your sentiments, but just to be pedantic, it was McKinlay not Flitcroft.
Thanks for that, I'm sorry for mixing them up.

One promotion ( via the play offs ) in seven years - won nowt - not been employed since June 2011 tells its own story. How else could you describe that

It's a promotion more than Appleton, so how do you describe your reasons for believing he will do better?

And what kind of logic is calling one novice a plantpot and then saying you want another novice?

My issue with these latest developments isn't so much with Appleton himself or the prospect of him as our next manager. He's not my top choice, but I think he could do well.

No, my issue is with the boardroom split. With Shagnew doing this without anyones knowledge (apparently), and in direct contradiction of their earlier statement that Bowyer was in charge the month out. Or for that matter Singh

s assertion that a list was handed in and a new appointment imminent at the start of the month. Everyone at the club needs to be pulling in the same direction, and the message needs to be clear. Whoever is appointed needs to have the support of the whole club, or else it's not going to work.

I have to say though that I'm surprised at how many people simply look at his win record and nothing else. It's Pompey ffs! Transfer embargoes, not enough senior players to fill a matchday squad, utter chaos all over. Not an easy job.

And on a general note: Why is win % the statistic being looked at for potential new managers? Surely points per game is a much better way of judging someones league record? After all, there's a big difference between 30% win rate with a 50% draw rate, and a 30% win rate and 20% draw rate: namely 1.4 ppg vs 1.1 ppg. Or 53 points vs 42 over a 38 game season. The argument for win % would be cup games, but a raw win % statistic says nothing about where these wins come either.

Just think, once upon a time, when we were a very unfashionable town club with one decent stand and trained on the local rec we tempted someone who was then one of the best managers in the game, someone who only a few years earlier had won the top division, won everything as player and generally rated as one of footballs greatest. And now....

Shebby had his turn and picked the plantpot Berg just cos he was a former player. Can't believe the absurd abuse for the potential Appleton appointment seems quite logical to me remember we are little Blackburn Rovers who have punched way beyond our weight for the last 10yrs or more. No well known experienced manager Hughes / SGE would give us a second glance and I would take an upcoming Mgr like Appleton over the failed has beens i.e Davies / Brown which have been championed on this thread. Don't forget the 'fans group' created a website/facebook page condemning the potential of Big Sam in preference for Ince history and I don't need to say anything further.

Can't argue with any of that except Appletons potential seems to have escaped public knowledge to date. Interesting to know how many and who of the wise old sages at Brag were in favour of Ince and against Allardyce. They should hang their heads forever.

Allardyce sacked

"What?"

"All that experience, we didn't need to do that"

"Well it's not what I'd have done but let's see what happens"

FAILED

Kean Appointed

"What?"

"Not enough experience, not what we need"

"Well he's not my first choice but let's get behind him"

FAILED

Berg Appointed

"What?"

FAILED

Appleton Appointed?

"What?"

Venkys - will they ever learn?

We may as well of kept Kean as their records are similar. Can't believe anyone who cares about brfc can be accepting of this

Hardly, Kean was never a manager. Appleton did fantastic considering the situation at Blackpool, and Blackpool players recon he is a top coach/manager.

Hardly, Kean was never a manager. Appleton did fantastic considering the situation at Blackpool, and Blackpool players recon he is a top coach/manager.

And players ALWAYS tell the truth??

Kean was amazing too remember. So amazing they all clamoured to re-employ him

• Backroom
Allardyce sacked

"What?"

"All that experience, we didn't need to do that"

"Well it's not what I'd have done but let's see what happens"

FAILED

Kean Appointed

"What?"

FAILED

Berg Appointed

"What?"

FAILED

Appleton Appointed?

"What?"

Venkys - will they ever learn?

No, and apparently neither will some of our fans.

And players ALWAYS tell the truth??

Kean was amazing too remember. So amazing they all clamoured to re-employ him

So amazing that all the best players did more than passable imitations of rats leaving the proverbial sinking ship. I wonder if Dunny has regrets now over putting his new deal with Kean before the club and the supporters?

Nah what am I saying? Has he @#/?.

Archived