BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 2 - With Poll

Next Rovers Manager  

547 members have voted

1. 1. Which, if any of the following would be acceptable as the new manager to you?

• Sven Goran Erikkson
    • Mark Bowen
    • Peter Taylor
    • Billy Davies
    • Gary Bowyer
    • Judan Ali/Kevin MacDonald Combi
    • Shebby Singh
    • Phil Brown
    • None of the above

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, this wasn't a Venkys decision, it was a decision by Paul Agnew and Derek Shaw behind everyone's backs.

Maybe they are trying to get themselves sacked and get a nice littlle payout from an NDA like everyone else has ? Owts possible in this madhouse, they probably feel left out !

Ok, this is my first proper post, im probably covering old ground here... It's a tough one, I find it hard to imagine an experienced manger like the likes of Sven, Billy Davies, Mark Hughes etc would really consider the Blackburn job, particularly under the current regime.

If it was 12 months ago, maybe, but with no real stability, protesting fans and a Malaysian football pundit as your boss, I think they will wait out and hold out for that the job at Wigan, Fulham, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa or Birmingham etc etc to become vacant first.

So Blackburn can look in other directions - up-and-coming manager from overseas - someone who wants to use Ewood as a stepping stone to prove he can do a job and land a job elsewhere in before the end of his contract. Though most of these managers don't know the Championship and underestimate how difficult the league actually is. Berg is probably an example of this...

Desperate managers who want to get back into work - Phil Brown, publicly declared his interest on national radio, though he also declared his interest in the Plymouth job too.

Half decent managers out of work - Owen Coyle could do the trick, but I suspect that he couldn't bring his key Backroom team that he had at St Jonstone, Burnley and Bolton - my assumptions come after the shambles of Berg not appointing his own backroom team. Then there are likes of Sean O'Driscol, Steve Cotterill, Nick Barmby, Ian Dowie and Paul Jewell... Certainly not glamourous names, but have experience at Championship Level and can steady the ship and move forwards.

Managers from Scotland - probably know the league better than anyone overseas, will have worked with plenty of of Championship managers and players throughout their playing career and a chance to prove their worth in England. Worth a punt and Blackburn could end up with the next Owen Coyle or Paul Lambert or whoever... Someone good enough to bring in a few decent players and slip into the play-offs.

Michael Appleton, is an interesting one, for him to be approached suggests to me he is already disillusioned with Blackpool, their @#/? training facilities, transfer budget and his rolling contract terms... And Blackburn know this. Maybe a verbal principle agreement was already agreed with Shaw before Berg was appointed or something, but for Rovers (or Shaw) to announce the approach, they must be confident in getting him.

Is he a bad manager? Difficult to tell, he has managed a sinking ship, signing 11 players on free transfers in one day and helping in keeping the club going... His peers will probably endorse him as he working under redicioulous circumstances, though he was in a no-lose situation in reality.

At Blackpool, he has joined the club just as the wheels were well and truley falling off. With no real transfer budget and their best players certain to leave, his hands are tied... Though he has done a mediocre job at Bloomfield Road, far too many draws but not a terrible as people are making out.

Does this entitle to him to be a realistic choice to be the manager of Blackburn Rovers Football Club? He really shouldn't be, but I can't see who else would really fancy it other than likes of Phil Brown or the list of throw-away out of work Chamoionship managers who are proven at this level, I suppose.

The more worrying aspect of all this is why are those names not being approached?

i know very little about Appleton, I know he's regarded as a good coach but so to were Brian Kidd, Steve McClaren, Sammy Lee etc etc etc so that doesn't hold much water for me. Coaches can sometimes make that step up, sometimes they can't.

The Portsmouth job doesnt particularly interest me because, well what could he do? Strikes me as odd that he even took the job in the first place. I guess it enhanced his reputation because he was seen as the good guy battling a tide. I guess that would have assisted him infinitely in Blackpools decision to appoint him.

At Blackpool from what I can tell, they were sliding, he came in and shored them up but they have struggled for goals and results.

If he was to come to Rovers then I would of course support him, he probably wouldn't be my first choice, and this lot taking Oyston on will end with pants round ankles on Rovers part. What is the biggest mess, and forgive me for pointing out the obvious, is upstairs. How can Shaw/Agnew make one decision and NO-ONE else, including Venkys, have any clue what is going on? It's absurd. I wonder what the three of them actually do regarding Rovers? Do they show any interest whatsoever? So they realise the laughing stock what they and the club are? Surely they should not stand for it.

A clear out is required - All 3 gone and footballing men in place. Men who Venkys only need consult through a monthly report of ongoing activity. Men who know English football and have no agenda but to improve the fortunes of Blackburn Rovers.

For what it's worth, from that list I'd take Davies. I fear all of this is academic becasue whoever it is, I fear the managerial merry go round will contine, as it did at Hearts for a good while. Can you seriously see one manager settling this club down?

In fact my first choice currently would be to keep Bowyer in charge IF he is happy to do so. 3 wins out of 3 in our laughable situation, with what I believe still to be a desperately unbalanced side is worth an awful lot of credit. The players seem happy with him and he has acted impeccably in his role. More than can be said for the 3 crooks above him.

Ok, this is my first proper post, im probably covering old ground here... It's a tough one, I find it hard to imagine an experienced manger like the likes of Sven, Billy Davies, Mark Hughes etc would really consider the Blackburn job, particularly under the current regime. If it was 12 months ago, maybe, but with no real stability, protesting fans and a Malaysian football pundit as your boss, I think they will wait out and hold out for that the job at Wigan, Fulham, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa or Birmingham etc etc to become vacant first.

So Blackburn can look in other directions - up-and-coming manager from overseas - someone who wants to use Ewood as a stepping stone to prove he can do a job and land a job elsewhere in before the end of his contract. Though most of these managers don't know the Championship and underestimate how difficult the league actually is. Berg is probably an example of this... Desperate managers who want to get back into work - Phil Brown, publicly declared his interest on national radio, though he also declared his interest in the Plymouth job too. Half decent managers out of work - Owen Coyle could do the trick, but I suspect that he couldn't bring his key Backroom team that he had at St Jonstone, Burnley and Bolton - my assumptions come after the shambles of Berg not appointing his own backroom team.

Then there are likes of Sean O'Driscol, Steve Cotterill, Nick Barmby, Ian Dowie and Paul Jewell... Certainly not glamourous names, but have experience at Championship Level and can steady the ship and move forwards. Managers from Scotland - probably know the league better than anyone overseas, will have worked with plenty of of Championship managers and players throughout their playing career and a chance to prove their worth in England. Worth a punt and Blackburn could end up with the next Owen Coyle or Paul Lambert or whoever... Someone good enough to bring in a few decent players and slip into the play-offs. Michael Appleton, is an interesting one, for him to be approached suggests to me he is already disillusioned with Blackpool, their @#/? training facilities, transfer budget and his rolling contract terms... And Blackburn know this.

Maybe a verbal principle agreement was already agreed with Shaw before Berg was appointed or something, but for Rovers (or Shaw) to announce the approach, they must be confident in getting him. Is he a bad manager? Difficult to tell, he has managed a sinking ship, signing 11 players on free transfers in one day and helping in keeping the club going... His peers will probably endorse him as he working under redicioulous circumstances, though he was in a no-lose situation in reality. At Blackpool, he has joined the club just as the wheels were well and truley falling off. With no real transfer budget and their best players certain to leave, his hands are tied... Though he has done a mediocre job at Bloomfield Road, far too many draws but not a terrible as people are making out. Does this entitle to him to be a realistic choice to be the manager of Blackburn Rovers Football Club? He really shouldn't be, but I can't see who else would really fancy it other than likes of Phil Brown or the list of throw-away out of work Chamoionship managers who are proven at this level, I suppose. The more worrying aspect of all this is why are those names not being approached?

To be fair, this wasn't a Venkys decision, it was a decision by Paul Agnew and Derek Shaw behind everyone's backs.

So do the Venkys not have the final say in the matter? Agnew, Shaw and Shebby should be not at our club and the only reason they are is because we have got Venkys who own our club!!

So you would expect them both to be either sacked or disciplined by Venkys for bringing the club into disrepute and going against the wishes of their bosses?

So you would expect them both to be either sacked or disciplined by Venkys for bringing the club into disrepute and going against the wishes of their bosses?

Rather than expecting, I'm hoping that they will be.

And everyone probably wishes Shebby Singh will follow the duo shortly after.

Don't think one is needed vast majority of people I have seen post or tweet are outraged.

I wonder who most of those people would want as manager? Would be interesting to see how many said Hughes ^_^

Odd that many people still hold Blackburn in much higher regard than they really should, probably due to them being rather spoiled for the past 20 years. I'm not saying Appleton is right or wrong for the club, but the options are pretty slim right now.

I wonder who most of those people would want as manager? Would be interesting to see how many said Hughes ^_^

Odd that many people still hold Blackburn in much higher regard than they really should, probably due to them being rather spoiled for the past 20 years. I'm not saying Appleton is right or wrong for the club, but the options are pretty slim right now.

Agreed.

Don't see what lies see in Hughes had a win rate of 32.56 with Fulham and 23.53 with QPR. He's a nobody now.

I think Appleton only signed a rolling contract so there will only be six months or so left on it, I doubt the fee will be much.

It'll be a cheaper investment than dishing out a huge wage on Sven

Archived