BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back The Badge

pk1875

I've not seen one other group back this idea yet. Then again we've not seen any other group refuse to back it. BRFCS has been asked to give backing, and we are currently deciding on how we would do that. The FF has put it to the membership to ask for backing.

members of each big group that have posted in this thread alone have here criticised the content, wording and approach that has been taken with this 'initiative', although they haven't that I can see refused to back the sceme they are in know way as behind it as GM has insinuated(although he not surprisingly didn't mention the names of the groups that he claims are fully behind the thing).

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Bloody Rovers Fan! :P

I think if at weekend we play the same as the last 2 games there will be a natural increase for the Ipswich game anyway

That won't stop BRAG trying to take the credit though ;)

Yes or No

Is it fair to say over the last 2 weeks things have seemed a lot calmer and slightly more positive in the absence of any brag shenanigans&statements?

(taking into account things seem to be slowly but surely improving at the club on the footballing side it just seems totally absurd for any group to disturb that balance in any way and as always attendances will naturally and progressively get better as the teams fortunes/results/league positions get better)

My reading of the situation is that there is a lot of Anti-Brag sentiment out there within the fanbase, so this kinda thing coming direct from BRAG was always going to divide opinion.

It would have been much better if the press release mentioned which groups exactly were supporting this iniative and a joint statement endorsed by these groups being issued by someone like Sir Bill Taylor who has been working to bring everyone together, that would’ve received a much better response in my opinion.

At the moment it reads like a BRAG project which is asking other groups to join in and from what I have seen on social media through petty squabbles between individuals representing the various groups and BRAG I just can’t see it being straightforward for them endorsing this and that then leads to more politics etc which frankly is boring and embarrassing

As a member of Rovers Trust steering group I think it would be helpful to clarify the situation from our position. I'm doing this simply to avoid any misunderstanding by fans who are not involved in the background

Approximately two weeks, possibly slightly longer, ago the Trust was approached by BRAG with a rough outline of the initiative. As a group we decided it best to await further developments as we had relatively little information from which to make a decision.

On Friday last week we, and I believe other "groups," received an email around 1.00pm with a small amount of detail on the initiative, information the campaign would "hit the press over the weekend/Monday morning," and no copy of the press release was provided.

Again as a group we felt unclear on the direction this might take.

Every member of the Trust steering group would always encourage fans to attend every game at Ewood. The great shame is so many feel unable to do so for a variety of reasons.

This campaign is NOT an Action Group campaign, the idea behind it, is each supporter group/website and town figure head has a say leading upto and after the match. Different voices, different opinions, but united in wanting a well run club.

Yes it is. You insult many peoples intelligence by pretending otherwise. Then you also have a pop at another group (twice).

From your press release

The BRFC Action Group are today launching the “Back the Badge” Campaign

People will make there own mind up whether they want to go or not but if this message came from the club with an incentive (discount on tickets or something) then it would give people an actual reason to go to the game.

A statement from the AG (or any other group) telling fans to back the badge doesn't mean anything, its just more words and people will get irritated by the fact a group who are giving out loads of mixed messages are leading this.

• Moderation Lead
My reading of the situation is that there is a lot of Anti-Brag sentiment out there within the fanbase, so this kinda thing coming direct from BRAG was always going to divide opinion.

It would have been much better if the press release mentioned which groups exactly were supporting this iniative and a joint statement endorsed by these groups being issued by someone like Sir Bill Taylor who has been working to bring everyone together, that would’ve received a much better response in my opinion.

At the moment it reads like a BRAG project which is asking other groups to join in and from what I have seen on social media through petty squabbles between individuals representing the various groups and BRAG I just can’t see it being straightforward for them endorsing this and that then leads to more politics etc which frankly is boring and embarrassing

Frankly Kamy, they haven't helped themselves where the highlighted bit is concerned.....

As for the 'back the badge' it's all I've ever done.

There seems to be a trend here:

1) The Action Group do something or try a new angle

2) They get slagged off to kean while the cleverer ones do their best to catch them out

3) They get blamed for widening the divisions with the fan-base

4) The Action Group take stock - at which point they are accused of being quiet and rumours start

Trouble is, this mentality is only going to make the Action Group listen to others LESS. And who would blame* them "Blamed if they do, blamed if they don't".

They may as well have just carried on with Venkys Out protests even after Kean left - but then they'd have been slated for not giving the new manager a chance.

It'd be great if the feedback could at least be constructive instead of destructive but instead, perhaps because people can't get at Venkys they tear strips off Glen instead.

There are too many "personalities" (who are to bloody minded entrenched in their views) involved with each of the groups and until they learn to work together (or at least communicate constructively) for the good of the club.

Fair play to him, still putting his head above the parapet to be shot at but if I was Glen, I'd have "done a Nicko" long ago...

*ironically I could probably name half a dozen people who would blame them

As for the 'back the badge' it's all I've ever done.

What about those 10,000 who no longer do?

In this case, its

1) the action group do something.

2) They call on other groups to support it

3) They then have a dig at other groups who didnt support their last one

4) They wonder why the other groups dont support this one.

If this had come via the Bill Taylor initiative, then it could have worked, instead they've publically called on other groups to support it without getting that support first. Which then forces other groups to state and justify their position.

• Moderation Lead

2) They get slagged off to kean while the cleverer ones do their best to catch them out

4) The Action Group take stock - at which point they are accused of being quiet and rumours start

Trouble is, this mentality is only going to make the Action Group listen to others LESS. And who would blame* them "Blamed if they do, blamed if they don't".

They may as well have just carried on with Venkys Out protests even after Kean left - but then they'd have been slated for not giving the new manager a chance.

It'd be great if the feedback could at least be constructive instead of destructive but instead, perhaps because people can't get at Venkys they tear strips off Glen instead.

There are too many "personalities" (who are to bloody minded entrenched in their views) involved with each of the groups and until they learn to work together (or at least communicate constructively) for the good of the club.

Fair play to him, still putting his head above the parapet to be shot at but if I was Glen, I'd have "done a Nicko" long ago...

What about those 10,000 who no longer do?

That's their prerogative, though are you convinved that a supporters group that divides opinion to say the least will make them return because they start a campaign???.....

3) They then have a dig at other groups who didnt support their last one

It could be said that it's in retaliation but if people wish to be considered professional and taken seriously then they HAVE to bite their tongue.

Must be difficult though when they are dealing with people who do their utmost to discredit them.

At the end of the day these are ordinary people doing their best in the way they can. It could be argued that the Trust are also ordinary people and they manage it. I guess we are all different.

EDIT: perhaps a bit strong that last bit

• Backroom

I want unity in the fanbase as much as the next man but haven't I seen an action group member threatening legal action against another fan on twitter this morning? How exactly is that going to help?

As stu said the abuse these guys have got has gone above and beyond what is needed at times but when calling for unity some tongues do need to be bitten

Edit - and as usual I kind of agree with Stuart's last point as well, the whole thing has gone beyond opinions now and I feel as long as there are all the groups in existence then things won't get better - that's not to say these things aren't worth trying though

That's their prerogative, though are you convinved that a supporters group that divides opinion to say the least will make them return because they start a campaign???.....

It might tug at the heart strings of a few.

I'm not a hardcore supporter in the traditional sense but this is my home town team and I love watching live football. If I can afford it, I will be there.

I think a big problem for BRAG - and any other fan group, is that they need messageboards to enable them to get their message out there. Without the internet the job is almost impossible. So, because of that, they have to, IMO, reconsider how they use the m/b. Getting embroiled in row after row with fans, is only going to harm BRAG, Stuart. You're problem is how to get your message over, without alienating people. You can argue for ever and a day on here about who's right and who's wrong, but that is no good to anyone. You need to reassess how you operate.

Another spectacular own goal by BRAG.

- As Arbitro pointed out earlier, timing is a week off

- "BRAG calls on fans" is completely tone deaf given the furore over the Appleton announcement

- Yet another "call for unity" that involves everyone else having to line up behind BRAG

- The Ipswich gate won't be any different to recent gates, and nowhere near the first gate after Kean went, thus all it will show Venkys, if they are even paying attention, is that BRAG are a busted flush, if they didn't already know that.

This constant use of pompous-sounding, badly written press releases, followed up by GM's now full page postings of patronising tripe long ceased to be effective

I think a big problem for BRAG - and any other fan group, is that they need messageboards to enable them to get their message out there. Without the internet the job is almost impossible. So, because of that, they have to, IMO, reconsider how they use the m/b. Getting embroiled in row after row with fans, is only going to harm BRAG, Stuart. You're problem is how to get your message over, without alienating people. You can argue for ever and a day on here about who's right and who's wrong, but that is no good to anyone. You need to reassess how you operate.

Completely agree, den. Maybe someone should be buying Paul a pint... ;)

What happened with BRAG RE: the Appleton appointment? I missed out on all this. Sorry to drag it up. Seen earlier in this thread that they made threats to stop communicating with club. Is this true and how high up the clubs hierarchy was this threat made?

• Backroom

I think a good route to take would be similar to the trust one, open a BRFCS account as an official action group one and only deliver short points of interest from it and leave the committee members to give their personal opinions on their own accounts

It might tug at the heart strings of a few.

I'm not a hardcore supporter in the traditional sense but this is my home town team and I love watching live football. If I can afford it, I will be there.

I can think of two things that will tempt back lapsed attendees -

1/ Venky's selling up to a decent sounding owner.

2/ Decent results.

A campaign seemingly straight out of Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' with lashings and lashings of ginger beer will have no impact.

I think a good route to take would be similar to the trust one, open a BRFCS account as an official action group one and only deliver short points of interest from it and leave the committee members to give their personal opinions on their own accounts

Dedicate a thread to them and nobody else should be allowed to post in their thread.

Peeps can then either read it or ignore it but most of all there would be no long drawn out squables

Archived