BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has BRAG served its purpose?

Stuart

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRAG mounted the only credible campaign to remove Steve Kean and his evil ways. They've made some mistakes; poor press releases, got involved in unnecessary bitching, supported some people they maybe shouldn't have, but in reality they want the best for Blackburn Rovers. Remember that they stood up and did things when everyone else just talked about doing things. For that it's voted committee deserve great credit, and should never be forgotten by Rovers fans.

As things stand, we as a club are moving forwards. They probably don't need to do very much. They do lots of charitable things locally, arrange away day travel, etc etc. So yes, they're probably not 'up to much' publicly.

It should be pointed out that the "official" fans forum are a self appointed, unelected group of "super" fans.

I would strongly dispute that Al. Fans are welcome to attend the Fans Forum 'pre-meet' and if they like what we are about and there is a vacancy then they are more than welcome to ask to join. Unelected - again incorrect. We now annually appoint a Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary and these elections will happen after the next meeting later this month. Super fans - again incorrect. We are a diverse rage of people and you can find out more about the people on the forum at http://www.roversfansforum.co.uk/who

:rover:

I would strongly dispute that Al. Fans are welcome to attend the Fans Forum 'pre-meet' and if they like what we are about and there is a vacancy then they are more than welcome to ask to join. Unelected - again incorrect. We now annually appoint a Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary and these elections will happen after the next meeting later this month. Super fans - again incorrect. We are a diverse rage of people and you can find out more about the people on the forum at http://www.roversfansforum.co.uk/who

Can I thank you guys for doing a maginficent job over the years and addressing fans' concern long before Venky's. Each and every single one of you are a credit to the club and deserve an immense amount of praise.

Thank you!

Can I thank you guys for doing a maginficent job over the years and addressing fans' concern long before Venky's. Each and every single one of you are a credit to the club and deserve an immense amount of praise.

Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words, however I'm sure that there will be plenty of people on here lining up to disagree with you... :rover:

Thanks for the kind words, however I'm sure that there will be plenty of people on here lining up to disagree with you... :rover:

The same guys that came crawling out when the club was in turmoil. They couldn't give a monkeys before that. You guys did and for that alone you deserve great respect and credit.

Keep up the good work!

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm sure that should they feel the need to, one of the BRAGAG guys who post on here (Glen Mullan, Mark Fish or Paul Keough) will come on and explain what the group have been upto, what they plan to be upto and how they are keeping their members in the loop...

Nothing to grow out of. I just don't know why they exist and still waiting for a short and concise reason.

Not sure on the membership front Stuart. I thought it was £10 like the RT?

No membership is free always has been an I hope always will be

I genuinely would like to know. I care because they use the Blackburn Rovers brand image. How they use it is of concern to me.

I'm not a member, but if I seem to think it is worthwhile, then I will happily join. Same way I have joined other memberships.

Your membership would be most welcome. If you have any direct questions or concerns I / we would be happy to answer them as best as we possibly could. This can be done via e-mail or by visiting the supporters walk in centre at Ewood. It does get difficult answering on a busy forum such as this, as the threads move very quickly and posts easily get overlooked.

Not reallt for or against BRAG but maybe a rebranding is needed? The term Action Group is a little too confontational for these quiter times, is it not

BRAG is a very old term that people still use, the group has re branded to the Blackburn Rovers Football Community Action Group. I don't think the term Action Group is overly confrontational, a quick read of the local papers sees many different community Action Groups doing a variety of things. It seems a well used name these days.

I have read that but then I ask, if they would like to serve the community why are they not working with the Official Community Trust?

Also, I saw this:

Our aim as a group is to be the guardians who protect and sustain the heritage and the fabric, of which our proud football club was built upon in 1875.

Why were they not actively looking to make Ewood a valued community asset, like the Rovers Trust?

I understand they don't have money to buy Ewood if it was ever sold, but then Stuart mentioned them being there when crap hits the fan. What can they do?

They cannot force Venky's out as they don't have the financial needs. Surely it would make sense for both groups to merge and work as one. This way we have a group that works for the community and actively looking to have a stake within the club.

Has this been considered by either group, if so then why has it not happened?

The Action Group fully supports the Community Trust and indeed rent our office / walk in centre from the Community Trust, we have also promoted and offered free advertising in the past to the Community Trust>

With regards to to Asset of the Community for Ewood, we did discuss this several months ago after meeting with Spirit of Shankley, however as a free membership group it would be totally unrealistic to apply knowing that we would never raise the funds within the 6 months window. I have already passed on my congratulations to the guys at the Rovers Trust on achieving this, they do have the funds or pledges available to launch such a bid for Ewood.

I think there needs to be a sense of all fans being involved and having a part to play in supporting the club in whatever positive way they can - attending matches etc. With this in mind I don't think having groups within the fan-base are helpful - unless the one item on their agenda is the coordination and support of the effort to fill Ewood and cheer on the team as we try and cultivate our slim chance of getting promoted this year.

I do think there has been a sense of togetherness this season down at Ewood and on the road. Also last season we launched the Back the Badge scheme and invited other supporters groups to join us on the initiative which was met with mixed response. At the end of the day whether you are part of a group or not, we all want the common good for our club.

The Fans Forum are a long standing group, who do some great work, they where here before during and after the whole Venky's Kean dark times, indeed I believe some even went to India and met with Venky's as representatives of fans. I'm sure Andy (FernhurstRover) and Wayne and the guys at Rovers Trust would agree that The Fans Forum, BRFC Action Group and Rovers Trust (all elected committee's) have the best interests of the club at heart, we all have and will all make mistakes along the way.

First and foremost we are all Rovers fans and want a common goal, I respect the views of any Rovers Fan whether they be part of any group or not.

The committee of BRFCAG are answerable to their members. I am sick of all this bitching on this site, if fans can't respect each other and continue to slag the Action Group, I would suggest that the future is bleak. Each and every supporter wants the same thing - a well run club being as successful as possible.

I can't understand why certain members are intent on a witch hunt of the Action Group. The committee worked tirelessly to bring the problems of the club to the attention of the football world at great expense both financially and time. Mistakes were made along the way, but I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't make mistakes. The group continues with many community projects and should get the credit it deserves.

It's all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticise. Other groups do things differently to seek the same end, but continued bitching needs to stop.

The committee of BRFCAG are answerable to their members. I am sick of all this bitching on this site, if fans can't respect each other and continue to slag the Action Group, I would suggest that the future is bleak. Each and every supporter wants the same thing - a well run club being as successful as possible.

I can't understand why certain members are intent on a witch hunt of the Action Group. The committee worked tirelessly to bring the problems of the club to the attention of the football world at great expense both financially and time. Mistakes were made along the way, but I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't make mistakes. The group continues with many community projects and should get the credit it deserves.

It's all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticise. Other groups do things differently to seek the same end, but continued bitching needs to stop.

Amen

Thank you!

And the biggest ass licking since kean and venky award goes to !

Wow

The same guys that came crawling out when the club was in turmoil. They couldn't give a monkeys before that. You guys did and for that alone you deserve great respect and credit.

Keep up the good work!

You really do have problems .. Do you try and antagonise at every opportunity in real life ?

And yet again I ask myself why come on here .

Many of us have been going for years. 30 odd in my case. I've stood on the BE in the good old days on terraces that the youth of today didn't know existed. I didn't know of this forum until the dark lords turned up as the club was doing well, and I felt no need to vent my spleen on the internet. The new "owners" have galvanised/polarised and ruined to a large extent the club as we knew it since Jacks revolution.

I witnessed young idiots, there for the beer, the crack, but not necessarily the football on Sunday. A 50 something who sat next to me and my son, who buggered off according to his mate into the town centre to carry on drinking at HT. Those on here perhaps feel that posting means we are activists, the best fans, but there are obviously fans out there and go week in week out and can't be bothered to get involved on something like this.

Whatever our motivations, we love the club, and sniping sometimes relieves tension, and gets what we think out there. I have nothing to do do with the AG , but admire their passion and belief, and thank them for their efforts. Yes, they haven't always got it right, but we're not all perfect.

GB is bringing some semblance of normality back, we were all gutted by Sundays result. I think that speaks volumes and hope the GB Renaissance continues. COYB's

• Backroom

Great post and fully agree.

• Moderation Lead

Some very good posts on this thread.

The question about BRAG was to be fair a legitimate one, but I have nothing against them, and I'm behind anyone that's trying to do the best for the club.

We're all equal as fans of BRFC, and all want the best for the club, the sniping on the internet is pathetic.

You've got 4 or 5 people on here that take every opportunity to hammer BRAG, they offer nothing to debates, are largely ignored on other threads as they bring nothing to the table, so just ignore them.

Why are we talking about BRAG again :rock:

You've got 4 or 5 people on here that take every opportunity to hammer BRAG, they offer nothing to debates, are largely ignored on other threads as they bring nothing to the table, so just ignore them.

Why are we talking about BRAG again :rock:

And its know @#/? all's like you that think they speak for the majority...

• Backroom

The hiccup with the transport for a recent game shows there are people waiting for any slip up to criticise the group for.

People may not see what they are doing behind the scenes but conversely I can't see a negative to the existence of the group, at one time divisions among the fanbase was partially attributed to their existence by some people but that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Things have steadied and people are more accepting of our position in the ladder but it only takes a moment of Shebby Singh / Venkys decision making and people will be calling for them to do something again

And its know Kean all's like you that think they speak for the majority...

I think you'll find it's a minority.

You used to be a half decent poster, maybe you should spend more time in the area actually speaking to people that go to games if you can't go yourself, then you'd have more of an idea what's going on, because your posts recently show you're absolutely keaning clueless.

I'm not sure Blackburn Rovers would normally 'need' BRAG, but while Venkys are here (and don't look like leaving any time soon), I for one am glad we have an independent group looking out for the welfare of the club and I don't see what the issue is. What would the alternative be? No group and we just all worry as individuals and post our concerns on internet forums until something happens and it's too late to collectively take action? I'd like to know what certain people have in mind...it's all very well criticising, but until another option can be offered up then I will join in with the praise of BRAG for their efforts so far in trying their best to do something in order to protect the proud heritage of our football club.

The hiccup with the transport for a recent game shows there are people waiting for any slip up to criticise the group for.

People may not see what they are doing behind the scenes but conversely I can't see a negative to the existence of the group, at one time divisions among the fanbase was partially attributed to their existence by some people but that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Things have steadied and people are more accepting of our position in the ladder but it only takes a moment of Shebby Singh / Venkys decision making and people will be calling for them to do something again

There will always be people waiting in the wings to criticise any group or organisation as a result of not agreeing with their view/stand point/objectives and as somebody once said to me, if you put yourself in the limelight then you are there to be shot at... this is life whether it be a fans group, celebrity or somebody in public office.

I would have thought the minutes that they publish on their website give an overview of their current activities and these can be found here >> http://www.brfcactiongroup.co.uk/committee-meeting-minutes/ and while there is no negative to a fan group who support the club and want the very best for the club, some people remember that BRAGAG weren't to shy in coming forward, dishing out crap to the FF and Rovers Trust in the not to distant past - although now thankfully that seems to have washed over.

The BRFCAG do their thing, the FF do their thing and the Rovers Trust do their thing - as long as we are all generally pushing in the same direction and the days of underhand tactics in the past, then there is no reason why the three groups cannot co-exist. It seems that it is those not directly involved in the groups are more vocal about which group you should support, rather than those directly involved - interesting...

Archived