BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brighton vs. ROVERS Match Thread

Amo

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last nights performance was very Sam Allardyce-esque. Our games plan was to defend and try and nick a result with a set piece or a counter attack. It nearly worked. Didn't really have a sustained period of pressure which was disappointing.

I fancy our chances against Hull and Leicester. Don't rate either team tbh. In fact, don't rate many teams in this league.

Hearing a lot about Brighton's 'great' home record..... They're 11th in the Championship home record table.. They've only won 6 games out of 16....

Only lost 3 out of 16, thats not bad home form.

Considering Brightons excellent pass and move game I would have suggested that we needed more than one solitary player who can tackle and -protect the defence in midfield. The possession stats back this up. Olsson, Murphy, CKR, Rhodes and DJC don't have a tackle between them. I think Lowe not being 'eye candy' on the ball to so many on here seriously undervalues his worth to the team. He and the defence must have put in quite a shift. What Poyet would give for Rhodes is anybodys guess.

I get the theory but who would you have selected last night?

It is a result though. Everything is relative. If you can't accept that and wish to live in the past AT ALL TIMES then you may do but expect people to tire of it and to move on without you.

It was a result considering we were totally outplayed for 90 minutes. You are right you can't live in the past but it does no harm to underline just what Venky's have frittered away during these past two years through sheer stupidity. Sadly, it may well be some time before we grace top flight football again and many have already tired of the rubbish that passes for Championship football as a quick look at the attendances will show.

You are right you can't live in the past but it does no harm to underline just what Venky's have frittered away during these past two years through sheer stupidity.

I dunno...if it's trotted out all over the place then it does do harm. If Appleton is trying to move us in the right direction the pouring negativity over everything doesn't help anybody.

I don't see why the past should be mentioned in a thread about Brighton v Rovers.

As Appleton said, we would have lost this game a few months ago under Kean/Berg. Defence is much more resolute and a huge positive.

Would have started with DJ on the bench and used him as a sub. Would have given us another 'option' instead of playing all your 'aces' at the start.

No. Unless they are not expected to last 90mins always play your best 11 from the start.

It was a result considering we were totally outplayed for 90 minutes. You are right you can't live in the past but it does no harm to underline just what Venky's have frittered away during these past two years through sheer stupidity. Sadly, it may well be some time before we grace top flight football again and many have already tired of the rubbish that passes for Championship football as a quick look at the attendances will show.

This is why I capitalised ALL THE TIME. It is worth noting, of course. Our entire past should not be forgotten, positive and negative. But relativism is important.

If people don't want to watch Championship football then that is up to them. I shall continue to follow my club.

I dunno...if it's trotted out all over the place then it does do harm. If Appleton is trying to move us in the right direction the pouring negativity over everything doesn't help anybody.

I don't see why the past should be mentioned in a thread about Brighton v Rovers.

Watching the game last night you realised just how far we have fallen in terms of the quality on the pitch wearing a Rovers shirt. I believe Appleton will steady the ship but in terms of rebuilding I think it may well take him a few years to turn it around. Hopefully he will be given the time.

Watching the game last night you realised just how far we have fallen in terms of the quality on the pitch wearing a Rovers shirt. I believe Appleton will steady the ship but in terms of rebuilding I think it may well take him a few years to turn it around. Hopefully he will be given the time.

Last time I watched was when Sam was in charge and then against Ipswich on Saturday, the differences were massive and I'm still getting over it. It will take a lot more than time to get us back to where we were and I cannot see Venky's stumping up the tens of millions it will require.

Last time I watched was when Sam was in charge and then against Ipswich on Saturday, the differences were massive and I'm still getting over it. It will take a lot more than time to get us back to where we were and I cannot see Venky's stumping up the tens of millions it will require.

I totally agree about the money required. The longer we are out of the Premier League the harder it will become because the clubs coming down will have far greater resources. We were discussing this on the way back from Brighton and you only have to look at how long the likes of Preston and Cardiff have spent outside the top flight. Indeed, without Jack's money we would never have got back after a quarter of a century of playing second and third division football. One wonders how long Venky's will be happy to continue losing millions on a regular basis?

Did you really think that Markus Olssen delibertaely handled the ball? Why on earth would he vae done that? It was a rank bad decision made by the assistant. The ball bounced up and no way on earth was it intentional.

Unfortunately he gained control of the ball with his touch.

If anybody had been stuck in a time warp and witnesed the last few games they would think Allardyce was still in charge. I think Appleton is the nearest thing to Sam that I have seen for a while. We are resolute, hard working and fast becoming street-wise.

Oh ffs sake don't say that out loud!! You know what the know nowts from behind the goals are like!

100% not correct. The law specifically mentions the hand-ball being deliberate for it to be an offence. There is no mention in law of gaining an advantage. So then the linesman should ask himself why a player would delberately handle the ball in his own penalty area under no pressure. As I said Olssen took a bad touch and the ball bounced up and hit his hand. Not a deliberate act and thereore not a penalty.

Indeed it is the law...... unfortunately when I watch football on TV it seems so few referees and assistants have read and absorbed it. :!: Pens are continually given for much less.

Moving on it is difficult to say how much intent was involved. only Olsson can answer that question. What I saw was a ball deflected onto Olsson but he did handle and he did end up with the ball perfectly at his feet.

Archived