Amo

sRR2ei7.png
Brighton vs. Blackburn Rovers
Tuesday 12th February 2013
KO: 19:45
Amex Stadium

Brighton & Hove Albion FC

BRIEF HISTORY:

In was in 1897 that the city of Brighton enjoyed its first professional football outfit. Brighton United, as it was known, competed in the Southern League at the County Cricket Ground based in Hove from 1898 but they lasted barely two seasons before going bust due to poor gate receipts. Not long after this, an offshoot called Brighton & Hove Rangers was formed in 1900. An amateur side that included some of the former Brighton United players, they played to the north of Brighton at a place called Surrenden Field which was part of Home Farm. They enjoyed relative success and won a place in the Southern League's Second Division for 1901-02 season, until they too fell victim to growing debts and were forced to disband.

In the wake of their collapse, the former manager of Brighton United, John Jackson, organised a public meeting at the Seven Stars Hotel (now O’Sullivans bar), and the new incarnation Brighton & Hove United was born. Taking their predecessor's place they were elected into the Southern League. However, due to complaints from another local side, Hove FC, the name had to be amended to Brighton & Hove Albion before a ball was kicked in anger.

Brighton & Hove Albion were originally kitted out in "fisherman blue" shirts with white shorts. They played at the Hove County Ground and made a serious challenge for promotion from the Second Division only to fall away and console themselves with third spot. It was in 1904 that they officially adopted the historical blue and white stripes we associate with the club today and except for a brief period in the 1970s where they played in all-white and in the 1980s with all-blue shirts they've kept faith with that trusted combination.

The Goldstone Ground was Brighton & Hove Albion's home ground for 95 years until it was sold by the board in 1997. With no plans for a replacement stadium in place, the club was forced to ground-share (over 70 miles away) with Gillingham FC for many years before moving to their temporary home of Withdean Stadium. Since its construction in 1936, the Withdean has served as a tennis venue, a mortuary during WWII, an athletics stadium, and even a zoo, before it came to host Brighton's footballing exploits. Due to various legal hurdles, the club couldn't begin construction of their own ground until 2008, and it was in 2010 that they confirmed a ten-year £4.5m deal with American Express for the stadium naming rights. The American Express Community Stadium (or The Amex, for short) has a current capacity of 27,350, although there are plans to expand this beyond 30,000 in the foreseeable future.

Brighton's nickname is 'The Seagulls' but this wasn't always the case. For much of its history, Brighton were known as the 'Dolphins' - a nick that can be traced to Brighton Borough's dolphin crest and the historic 'dolphinarium' which was built in 1969. It's likely this nickname would've stuck had it not been for an incident in 1975 concerning "local" rivals Crystal Palace - a rivalry that confounds many, but the two sides were a regular fixture for almost half-a-century and although Palace have closer rivals such as Millwall or QPR, the simple fact is they are the nearest league club to Brighton. As the story goes, the change was brought about by Brighton fans in a local pub on Christmas Eve as a response to the Palace chants of "Eagles! Eagles!" and from that day forth it became the recognised nickname of the club.

CLUB RECORDS:

Record all-time goalscorer: Tommy Cook 114 (1922-29)
Record league appearances: Ernie 'Tug' Wilson 509 (1922-29)
Record league win: 9-1 vs. Newport County (18 Apri 1951)
Record league defeat: 0-9 vs. Middlesbrough (23 August 1958)
Record fee paid: £2.5m to Peterboro Utd for Craig Mackail-Smith (4 July 2011)
Record fee received: £1.5m from Tottenham for Bobby Zamora (18 July 2003)
Record attendance: 36,747 vs. Fulham (27 Dec 1958)
Record gate receipts: £109,615.65 vs. Crawley Town - FA Cup R3 (4 Jan 1992)
Most capped player: Steve Penney 17 Northern Ireland

IN THE DUGOUT:

pGX3OI9.jpg

Gustavo Augusto "Gus" Poyet Domínguez took over the Brighton hotseat in November 2009 in what is his first ever managerial role. In his first full season at the club they clinched the League One title with four games to spare and the Uruguayan was awarded with the LMA 'Manager of the Year' Award for his efforts. The following season saw Poyet break Brighton's transfer record twice in succession with the captures of Will Buckley and then Craig Mackail-Smith. He also brought in former Valencia legend, Vicente, on a free. The club started the 2011/2012 season well with an unbeaten start but a poor run of form on the home stretch dashed any hopes of a promotion push and they consolidated themselves with a respectable 10th place finish. Poyet (along with player/coach Mauricio Taricco) signed new deals committing themselves to the club until 2016.

Before stepping into the world of management, Poyet had worked at Swindon Town as right-hand man to former Chelsea team mate Dennis Wise. He later followed Wise when he moved to Leeds United and went on to establish himself as one of the most promising young coaches in the game, which ultimately persuaded Brighton chairman, Tony Bloom, to give him his first taste of management.

On the pitch, Poyet enjoyed a long and successful career, turning out for notable sides such as Real Zaragoza, Chelsea & Tottenham Hotspur. It was his time at Stamford Bridge that he made a name for himself, becoming a fans' favourite during his four years at the club. With rumours circulating that happy-sacker Roman Abramovich could be looking for another "old boy" to play with his Chelsea train set, Poyet's name has emerged as an outside bet to succeed the much-loved Rafa Benitez. Not only that, but Poyet was also on the shortlist to join Rovers following Henning Berg's departure, only for the reported £2m compo fee to frighten the living daylights out of Venky's - who seem to content to blow £400k a year on a Malaysian TV pundit but not the going rate for a highly-rated football manager.

HEAD TO HEAD:

Before last month's clash, you'd have to back over 10 years to the last time these two clubs faced off. That day it was an emphatic 3-0 victory for Rovers (can't find the goalscorers for that one, perhaps some of the oldies would like to chip in?) in what would become our promotion season. Overall, it's been a fairly even affair between the two sides, with Rovers edging 11 victories to Brighton's 10.

Last ten meetings:
25 Apr 1987 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1
12 Nov 1988 - Rovers 2 Brighton 1
04 Mar 1989 - Brighton 3 Rovers 0
04 Nov 1989 - Brighton 1 Rovers 2
05 May 1990 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1
29 Sept 1990 - Rovers 1 Brighton 2
16 Mar 1991 - Brighton 1 Rovers 0
02 Nov 1991 - Rovers 1 Brighton 0
14 Mar 1992 - Brighton 0 Rovers 3
22 Jan 2013 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1

CURRENT FORM GUIDE:

Brighton: D D D L W W D D L W

Rovers: L L L W W D L D W W

TRAVEL INFO (courtesy of footballgroundguide.com):

By train - The nearest railway station is Falmer, which is situated right by the stadium. Kevin Bartholomew informs me; 'The quickest and easiest way to get to the stadium though is by train. Falmer station is adjacent to the ground. It's three stops from Brighton central station on the line to Lewes and Seaford. Alternatively, you can avoid Brighton completely by getting a train to Lewes and changing there for Falmer. There are four trains an hour in either direction'.

Brighton Central Railway Station is over four miles away from the stadium. So either get a train, taxi or bus up to the stadium. Brighton & Hove Bus No 25 (Route and timetable on the Brighton & Hove Bus Company website, which shows bus stops) operates a regular service (every 12 minutes) up to the stadium from Central Brighton, as do Bus Numbers 28 & 29.

amex_stadium_nov2010.jpg

The Club have a scheme whereby travel to the stadium by public transport within a geographical zone is free as it is included within the price of your match ticket. Valid on both buses and trains, just simply show your match ticket or booking form (if collecting your tickets from the Stadium ticket office). The zone extends as far north as Haywards Heath station and east to Lewes. So fans travelling from London for instance only need a train ticket to Haywards Heath.

Rob Haynes a visiting Nottingham Forest Fan also found going by train frustrating; 'We stayed in Brighton so walked to the station and arrived at 13.30 to find a huge queue snaking around the concourse. Whilst it generally quite well organised it didn't add much to the pre-match experience to have to stand and wait for such a long period before getting on a packed train to the ground. Fans that left it later no doubt had an even longer wait. After the game we walked straight from the away end to the train station. At 6pm (the game finished before 5pm) I was finally moving and on my way into Brighton centre. All generally organised okay but again such a frustrating wait and such a waste of time! Trains again jammed back to Brighton. Thankfully no trouble but potential for trouble after needle game is multiplied by the time it takes to get in and out the ground. I feel sorry for any Brighton fans having to experience such long waits, especially in poor weather'. Alternatively you could consider parking/staying in the pleasant town of Lewes and getting a train from there to the stadium.

HOW THEY SEE IT:

Many thanks to the good people over at NorthStandChat for taking the time to answer some questions:

Q. With only two points separating us, the play-off spots are within sight of both clubs. Do you think promotion is a realistic possibility for either club this season?

MacKenzie: I was hopeful at the start of the season that we'd make the play offs, simple fact is that we don't win enough games. As for Blackburn, I did you in a lot of my league winners bets prior to the season starting without realising quite what a shambles your club actually is in. No you won't make the top 6.

HawkTheSeagull: Cant see Blackburn coming near the play-offs - off field problems and manager changes have put pay to that - we of course still have a good chance.

spring hall convert: Very much so but I'm not sure both can make the playoffs, making Tuesday's game important

Ninja Elephant: You have a strong squad and should be up there. How Robinson has been ditched for a guy who looked close to tears when he played for Hartlepool against us a couple of years ago is beyond my comprehension. Best goalkeeper in the division.

tgretton87: Playoffs in reach for both but I think we will both miss out although saying that middlesborough are on a real baron run and I cannot see Burnley or Millwall keeping up there recent purple patches. So maybe 6th for one of us? at a push.

Q. There have been recent murmurs that Gus Poyet could be next for Chelski's poisoned chalice. Do you think he could handle a top job and more importantly could Brighton afford to lose him?

MacKenzie: He won't get the job at Chelsea unless he proves himself at the highest level, can you really see Abramovitch appointing a managerial novice!

HawkTheSeagull: All managers have their price, if Chelsea pay a good price - then let him go, i wont be bitter about it. I doubt he will get the job though.

spring hall convert: I'm not sure he's quite ready, even after today's game his tactical inflexibility & lack of game changing substitutions are bugbears. He's learning though & he will be managing in the Premier League some time in the not to distant future. Brighton will need to make a good appointment if he does go but Tony Bloom is a shrewd man and I would trust him to get it right.

Ninja Elephant: Gus has the character and personality to take a job like that. Whether he'd get the patience from the top for his outbursts, who knows. But I think he'd do well there.

Twizzle: Rumours shumours. All rubbish, as Abramovich gets expensive men who win big things, doesn't like regular managers making their way up even if successful. He'd rather splash huge lolly on King Kong than risk a few bones on Cheetah. We could afford to 'lose' managers and hire others, but it would be disruptive for the squad.

tgretton87: Chelsea are a million miles from looking at managers like Gus. Not being disrespectful to Gus but his management style is very trying and would take ages to get it right at Chelsea as he would need 100% of the players to trust him and theres to many big names for that to happen for example AVB!

Q. What do you make of the running joke that is Venky's ownership?

Frutos: A disgrace.

Lethargic: Exactly that they are a joke and have reduced your club to a laughing stock typical of a lot of modern club ownership not a clue thank god we have Tony Bloom.

One Teddy Maybank: Running joke - pretty much sums it up. The abuse your supporters gave Steve Keen was embarrassing though.

MacKenzie: They seem to be spending money on your team, but don't actually seem to have a clue what they are doing. I also think they are genuinely astonished at the hatred being spewed at them from certain areas of your support

HawkTheSeagull: Its a bloody shambles. They have done great at taking a decent club and making them @#/?.

spring hall convert: It's disgraceful & I feel immensely for Blackburn. As I'm sure you are aware Brighton have had their own share of owner induced misery. If they don't get up this year or next, there's huge trouble.

Ninja Elephant: Publically I think it is a disgrace. But is Shebby Singh not the problem? Are the owners not just stupidly following that misguided moron?

tgretton87: Where do you start turning up to there only home game this season 30 mins before kick off, have that blithering idiot Shebi Singh on 606 saying they need a manager with loads of premier experience then employing Michael Appleton, The big sam debacle, and not forgetting you were gonna sign Ronaldiniho beckham?? lol

Q. Which Brighton players should we watch out for on Tuesday?

Frutos: Will Buckley (if fit), Leo Ulloa, Vicente (if fit)

Lethargic: God know depends which team Gus picks - very good defence (usually) several midfielders who have a beautiful touch and can turn a game, match winners in Buckley and Lua Lua but up front is the big question although the new striker Leo looks to be a good buy but our best attribute is the team game.

Lord Bracknell: Tell your lads to keep an eye on Charlie Oatway (our coach). His antics are well worth watching - and it will take their minds off the game. Albion always play best against teams that aren't concentrating.

HawkTheSeagull: Leo Ulloa, our new Argie striker. CMS can also be a handful and depending if he plays - Will Buckley could run the Blackburn defence in circles.

spring hall convert: We have some excellent individuals, Bruno & Bridge are dangerous fullbacks going forward, Bridcutt does the simple things well and tends to go unnoticed. Vicente is the best player in the division if he can get on the pitch & the injury prone Buckley is a pacey and direct winger who is useful in front of goal.

Twizzle: You will probably be complaining about Adam el And, even though he's a fair player, and shouting "HEY!" at the ref every time one of your lot dive to try getting him in trouble.

tgretton87: If you want to watch Premiership quality although he does not have flare look no further than Liam Bridcutt. Flare players theres plenty to pick from but some of them dont like to be kicked so please play nice!

Q. Which Blackburn players would you want in your side?

Frutos: None of them (I'm not being harsh, I think the clubs are quite evenly balanced so I doubt many of your fans would be tripping over themselves to have any of our players in your side either)

seagullsovergrimsby: DJ Campbell

Lethargic: To be honest I know very little about Blackburn but I would take Jordan Rhodes.

One Teddy Maybank: Used to really rate Paul Robinson, but he doesn't seem to play much. At a push I guess Jordan Rhodes.

MacKenzie: Rhodes, but not at the price you paid for him

tgretton87: Jordan Rhodes (Goal Machine)

Q. What will be the score, George Dawes?

Lethargic: We could easily win 3-0 or lose by 1 goal it's been that unpredictable but I will plump for a home win 2-1

One Teddy Maybank: 2-0 to Brighton. If you adopt similar rough-house tactics to those at Ewood, fully expect you to finish with 10 may be 9.

MacKenzie: Brighton 2-1 Blackburn

Ninja Elephant: Brighton 2-0 Blackburn

Blue Valkyrie: 0-0

Twizzle: No idea, probably 1-1 or 2-1 to you. We are not consistent except in drawing too many games

Q. Do Brighton have room for a 'Global Adviser'?

seagullsovergrimsby: No, we're not a BIG CLUB yet.

MacKenzie: We already have one, of sorts, in Paul Barber....although he doesn't concern himself with football matters, just business

HawkTheSeagull: No, we have one of sorts called Paul Barber - he is already very unpopular of sorts with some fans.

Ninja Elephant: No. Singh comes across as a bloke you'd meet in a pub amd immediately just want to slap, just seems like an unlikable oaf.

tgretton87: We may do in the next 10 years but I would rather stick needles in my eyes before we consider someone like Shebi

Unfortunately, due to this one being rearranged to a work night, I won't be able to make it. :( Still, I wish all travelling Rovers a safe and pleasant journey and with any luck we'll have a gay old time! (I'm so sorry)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A local game for me and it will also be my first trip to the Amex so I'm looking forward to it. Last time I went to a Brighton game was when they played at the Goldstone Ground. I have never seen them lose a game when I've been to see them play so hopefully Tuesday will bring an end to that.

Out of the people that you posted the responses from to your questions, Ninja Elephant is a friend of mine.

I'd take a draw but I feel we owe them due to how we drew the last one. Also with away games against Hull and Leicester on the horizon, we could do with picking up three points in this one.

Their home form isn't the best, winning the least amount in the top half, but they draw a lot at home and don't concede too many either.

1-0 to us, Rhodes or Kazim against his old club.

All of a sudden this one has turned into a big game. Hoping we can get the points but next few games will be very difficult.

It's reading comments like that from One Teddy Maybank and others like him that makes me wish kean on their clubs. Clearly another one brainwashed by the crones on sky about us nasty fans saying kean out and obviously he's another one fully aware of his subject matter by referring to him as keen makes a change from bozos calling him Keane or even Kane though.

A local game for me and it will also be my first trip to the Amex so I'm looking forward to it. Last time I went to a Brighton game was when they played at the Goldstone Ground. I have never seen them lose a game when I've been to see them play so hopefully Tuesday will bring an end to that.

Out of the people that you posted the responses from to your questions, Ninja Elephant is a friend of mine.

Local match for me also. Live not far from hastings.

sRR2ei7.png

Brighton vs. Blackburn Rovers

Tuesday 12th February 2012

KO: 19:45

Amex Stadium

Brighton & Hove Albion FC

BRIEF HISTORY:

In was in 1897 that the city of Brighton enjoyed its first professional football outfit. Brighton United, as it was known, competed in the Southern League at the County Cricket Ground based in Hove from 1898 but they lasted barely two seasons before going bust due to poor gate receipts. Not long after this, an offshoot called Brighton & Hove Rangers was formed in 1900. An amateur side that included some of the former Brighton United players, they played to the north of Brighton at a place called Surrenden Field which was part of Home Farm. They enjoyed relative success and won a place in the Southern League's Second Division for 1901-02 season, until they too fell victim to growing debts and were forced to disband.

In the wake of their collapse, the former manager of Brighton United, John Jackson, organised a public meeting at the Seven Stars Hotel (now O’Sullivans bar), and the new incarnation Brighton & Hove United was born. Taking their predecessor's place they were elected into the Southern League. However, due to complaints from another local side, Hove FC, the name had to be amended to Brighton & Hove Albion before a ball was kicked in anger.

Brighton & Hove Albion were originally kitted out in "fisherman blue" shirts with white shorts. They played at the Hove County Ground and made a serious challenge for promotion from the Second Division only to fall away and console themselves with third spot. It was in 1904 that they officially adopted the historical blue and white stripes we associate with the club today and except for a brief period in the 1970s where they played in all-white and in the 1980s with all-blue shirts they've kept faith with that trusted combination.

The Goldstone Ground was Brighton & Hove Albion's home ground for 95 years until it was sold by the board in 1997. With no plans for a replacement stadium in place, the club was forced to ground-share (over 70 miles away) with Gillingham FC for many years before moving to their temporary home of Withdean Stadium. Since its construction in 1936, the Withdean has served as a tennis venue, a mortuary during WWII, an athletics stadium, and even a zoo, before it came to host Brighton's footballing exploits. Due to various legal hurdles, the club couldn't begin construction of their own ground until 2008, and it was in 2010 that they confirmed a ten-year £4.5m deal with American Express for the stadium naming rights. The American Express Community Stadium (or The Amex, for short) has a current capacity of 27,350, although there are plans to expand this beyond 30,000 in the foreseeable future.

Brighton's nickname is 'The Seagulls' but this wasn't always the case. For much of its history, Brighton were known as the 'Dolphins' - a nick that can be traced to Brighton Borough's dolphin crest and the historic 'dolphinarium' which was built in 1969. It's likely this nickname would've stuck had it not been for an incident in 1975 concerning "local" rivals Crystal Palace - a rivalry that confounds many, but the two sides were a regular fixture for almost half-a-century and although Palace have closer rivals such as Millwall or QPR, the simple fact is they are the nearest league club to Brighton. As the story goes, the change was brought about by Brighton fans in a local pub on Christmas Eve as a response to the Palace chants of "Eagles! Eagles!" and from that day forth it became the recognised nickname of the club.

CLUB RECORDS:

Record all-time goalscorer: Tommy Cook 114 (1922-29)

Record league appearances: Ernie 'Tug' Wilson 509 (1922-29)

Record league win: 9-1 vs. Newport County (18 Apri 1951)

Record league defeat: 0-9 vs. Middlesbrough (23 August 1958)

Record fee paid: £2.5m to Peterboro Utd for Craig Mackail-Smith (4 July 2011)

Record fee received: £1.5m from Tottenham for Bobby Zamora (18 July 2003)

Record attendance: 36,747 vs. Fulham (27 Dec 1958)

Record gate receipts: £109,615.65 vs. Crawley Town - FA Cup R3 (4 Jan 1992)

Most capped player: Steve Penney 17 Northern Ireland

IN THE DUGOUT:

pGX3OI9.jpg

Gustavo Augusto "Gus" Poyet Domínguez took over the Brighton hotseat in November 2009 in what is his first ever managerial role. In his first full season at the club they clinched the League One title with four games to spare and the Uruguayan was awarded with the LMA 'Manager of the Year' Award for his efforts. The following season saw Poyet break Brighton's transfer record twice in succession with the captures of Will Buckley and then Craig Mackail-Smith. He also brought in former Valencia legend, Vicente, on a free. The club started the 2011/2012 season well with an unbeaten start but a poor run of form on the home stretch dashed any hopes of a promotion push and they consolidated themselves with a respectable 10th place finish. Poyet (along with player/coach Mauricio Taricco) signed new deals committing themselves to the club until 2016.

Before stepping into the world of management, Poyet had worked at Swindon Town as right-hand man to former Chelsea team mate Dennis Wise. He later followed Wise when he moved to Leeds United and went on to establish himself as one of the most promising young coaches in the game, which ultimately persuaded Brighton chairman, Tony Bloom, to give him his first taste of management.

On the pitch, Poyet enjoyed a long and successful career, turning out for notable sides such as Real Zaragoza, Chelsea & Tottenham Hotspur. It was his time at Stamford Bridge that he made a name for himself, becoming a fans' favourite during his four years at the club. With rumours circulating that happy-sacker Roman Abramovich could be looking for another "old boy" to play with his Chelsea train set, Poyet's name has emerged as an outside bet to succeed the much-loved Rafa Benitez. Not only that, but Poyet was also on the shortlist to join Rovers following Henning Berg's departure, only for the reported £2m compo fee to frighten the living daylights out of Venky's - who seem to content to blow £400k a year on a Malaysian TV pundit but not the going rate for a highly-rated football manager.

HEAD TO HEAD:

Before last month's clash, you'd have to back over 10 years to the last time these two clubs faced off. That day it was an emphatic 3-0 victory for Rovers (can't find the goalscorers for that one, perhaps some of the oldies would like to chip in?) in what would become our promotion season. Overall, it's been a fairly even affair between the two sides, with Rovers edging 11 victories to Brighton's 10.

Last ten meetings:

25 Apr 1987 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1

12 Nov 1988 - Rovers 2 Brighton 1

04 Mar 1989 - Brighton 3 Rovers 0

04 Nov 1989 - Brighton 1 Rovers 2

05 May 1990 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1

29 Sept 1990 - Rovers 1 Brighton 2

16 Mar 1991 - Brighton 1 Rovers 0

02 Nov 1991 - Rovers 1 Brighton 0

14 Mar 1992 - Brighton 0 Rovers 3

22 Jan 2013 - Rovers 1 Brighton 1

CURRENT FORM GUIDE:

Brighton: D D D L W W D D L W

Rovers: L L L W W D L D W W

TRAVEL INFO (courtesy of footballgroundguide.com):

By train - The nearest railway station is Falmer, which is situated right by the stadium. Kevin Bartholomew informs me; 'The quickest and easiest way to get to the stadium though is by train. Falmer station is adjacent to the ground. It's three stops from Brighton central station on the line to Lewes and Seaford. Alternatively, you can avoid Brighton completely by getting a train to Lewes and changing there for Falmer. There are four trains an hour in either direction'.

Brighton Central Railway Station is over four miles away from the stadium. So either get a train, taxi or bus up to the stadium. Brighton & Hove Bus No 25 (Route and timetable on the Brighton & Hove Bus Company website, which shows bus stops) operates a regular service (every 12 minutes) up to the stadium from Central Brighton, as do Bus Numbers 28 & 29.

amex_stadium_nov2010.jpg

The Club have a scheme whereby travel to the stadium by public transport within a geographical zone is free as it is included within the price of your match ticket. Valid on both buses and trains, just simply show your match ticket or booking form (if collecting your tickets from the Stadium ticket office). The zone extends as far north as Haywards Heath station and east to Lewes. So fans travelling from London for instance only need a train ticket to Haywards Heath.

Rob Haynes a visiting Nottingham Forest Fan also found going by train frustrating; 'We stayed in Brighton so walked to the station and arrived at 13.30 to find a huge queue snaking around the concourse. Whilst it generally quite well organised it didn't add much to the pre-match experience to have to stand and wait for such a long period before getting on a packed train to the ground. Fans that left it later no doubt had an even longer wait. After the game we walked straight from the away end to the train station. At 6pm (the game finished before 5pm) I was finally moving and on my way into Brighton centre. All generally organised okay but again such a frustrating wait and such a waste of time! Trains again jammed back to Brighton. Thankfully no trouble but potential for trouble after needle game is multiplied by the time it takes to get in and out the ground. I feel sorry for any Brighton fans having to experience such long waits, especially in poor weather'. Alternatively you could consider parking/staying in the pleasant town of Lewes and getting a train from there to the stadium.

HOW THEY SEE IT:

Many thanks to the good people over at NorthStandChat for taking the time to answer some questions:

Q. With only two points separating us, the play-off spots are within sight of both clubs. Do you think promotion is a realistic possibility for either club this season?

MacKenzie: I was hopeful at the start of the season that we'd make the play offs, simple fact is that we don't win enough games. As for Blackburn, I did you in a lot of my league winners bets prior to the season starting without realising quite what a shambles your club actually is in. No you won't make the top 6.

HawkTheSeagull: Cant see Blackburn coming near the play-offs - off field problems and manager changes have put pay to that - we of course still have a good chance.

spring hall convert: Very much so but I'm not sure both can make the playoffs, making Tuesday's game important

Ninja Elephant: You have a strong squad and should be up there. How Robinson has been ditched for a guy who looked close to tears when he played for Hartlepool against us a couple of years ago is beyond my comprehension. Best goalkeeper in the division.

tgretton87: Playoffs in reach for both but I think we will both miss out although saying that middlesborough are on a real baron run and I cannot see Burnley or Millwall keeping up there recent purple patches. So maybe 6th for one of us? at a push.

Q. There have been recent murmurs that Gus Poyet could be next for Chelski's poisoned chalice. Do you think he could handle a top job and more importantly could Brighton afford to lose him?

MacKenzie: He won't get the job at Chelsea unless he proves himself at the highest level, can you really see Abramovitch appointing a managerial novice!

HawkTheSeagull: All managers have their price, if Chelsea pay a good price - then let him go, i wont be bitter about it. I doubt he will get the job though.

spring hall convert: I'm not sure he's quite ready, even after today's game his tactical inflexibility & lack of game changing substitutions are bugbears. He's learning though & he will be managing in the Premier League some time in the not to distant future. Brighton will need to make a good appointment if he does go but Tony Bloom is a shrewd man and I would trust him to get it right.

Ninja Elephant: Gus has the character and personality to take a job like that. Whether he'd get the patience from the top for his outbursts, who knows. But I think he'd do well there.

Twizzle: Rumours shumours. All rubbish, as Abramovich gets expensive men who win big things, doesn't like regular managers making their way up even if successful. He'd rather splash huge lolly on King Kong than risk a few bones on Cheetah. We could afford to 'lose' managers and hire others, but it would be disruptive for the squad.

tgretton87: Chelsea are a million miles from looking at managers like Gus. Not being disrespectful to Gus but his management style is very trying and would take ages to get it right at Chelsea as he would need 100% of the players to trust him and theres to many big names for that to happen for example AVB!

Q. What do you make of the running joke that is Venky's ownership?

Frutos: A disgrace.

Lethargic: Exactly that they are a joke and have reduced your club to a laughing stock typical of a lot of modern club ownership not a clue thank god we have Tony Bloom.

One Teddy Maybank: Running joke - pretty much sums it up. The abuse your supporters gave Steve Keen was embarrassing though.

MacKenzie: They seem to be spending money on your team, but don't actually seem to have a clue what they are doing. I also think they are genuinely astonished at the hatred being spewed at them from certain areas of your support

HawkTheSeagull: Its a bloody shambles. They have done great at taking a decent club and making them @#/?.

spring hall convert: It's disgraceful & I feel immensely for Blackburn. As I'm sure you are aware Brighton have had their own share of owner induced misery. If they don't get up this year or next, there's huge trouble.

Ninja Elephant: Publically I think it is a disgrace. But is Shebby Singh not the problem? Are the owners not just stupidly following that misguided moron?

tgretton87: Where do you start turning up to there only home game this season 30 mins before kick off, have that blithering idiot Shebi Singh on 606 saying they need a manager with loads of premier experience then employing Michael Appleton, The big sam debacle, and not forgetting you were gonna sign Ronaldiniho beckham?? lol

Q. Which Brighton players should we watch out for on Tuesday?

Frutos: Will Buckley (if fit), Leo Ulloa, Vicente (if fit)

Lethargic: God know depends which team Gus picks - very good defence (usually) several midfielders who have a beautiful touch and can turn a game, match winners in Buckley and Lua Lua but up front is the big question although the new striker Leo looks to be a good buy but our best attribute is the team game.

Lord Bracknell: Tell your lads to keep an eye on Charlie Oatway (our coach). His antics are well worth watching - and it will take their minds off the game. Albion always play best against teams that aren't concentrating.

HawkTheSeagull: Leo Ulloa, our new Argie striker. CMS can also be a handful and depending if he plays - Will Buckley could run the Blackburn defence in circles.

spring hall convert: We have some excellent individuals, Bruno & Bridge are dangerous fullbacks going forward, Bridcutt does the simple things well and tends to go unnoticed. Vicente is the best player in the division if he can get on the pitch & the injury prone Buckley is a pacey and direct winger who is useful in front of goal.

Twizzle: You will probably be complaining about Adam el And, even though he's a fair player, and shouting "HEY!" at the ref every time one of your lot dive to try getting him in trouble.

tgretton87: If you want to watch Premiership quality although he does not have flare look no further than Liam Bridcutt. Flare players theres plenty to pick from but some of them dont like to be kicked so please play nice!

Q. Which Blackburn players would you want in your side?

Frutos: None of them (I'm not being harsh, I think the clubs are quite evenly balanced so I doubt many of your fans would be tripping over themselves to have any of our players in your side either)

seagullsovergrimsby: DJ Campbell

Lethargic: To be honest I know very little about Blackburn but I would take Jordan Rhodes.

One Teddy Maybank: Used to really rate Paul Robinson, but he doesn't seem to play much. At a push I guess Jordan Rhodes.

MacKenzie: Rhodes, but not at the price you paid for him

tgretton87: Jordan Rhodes (Goal Machine)

Q. What will be the score, George Dawes?

Lethargic: We could easily win 3-0 or lose by 1 goal it's been that unpredictable but I will plump for a home win 2-1

One Teddy Maybank: 2-0 to Brighton. If you adopt similar rough-house tactics to those at Ewood, fully expect you to finish with 10 may be 9.

MacKenzie: Brighton 2-1 Blackburn

Ninja Elephant: Brighton 2-0 Blackburn

Blue Valkyrie: 0-0

Twizzle: No idea, probably 1-1 or 2-1 to you. We are not consistent except in drawing too many games

Q. Do Brighton have room for a 'Global Adviser'?

seagullsovergrimsby: No, we're not a BIG CLUB yet.

MacKenzie: We already have one, of sorts, in Paul Barber....although he doesn't concern himself with football matters, just business

HawkTheSeagull: No, we have one of sorts called Paul Barber - he is already very unpopular of sorts with some fans.

Ninja Elephant: No. Singh comes across as a bloke you'd meet in a pub amd immediately just want to slap, just seems like an unlikable oaf.

tgretton87: We may do in the next 10 years but I would rather stick needles in my eyes before we consider someone like Shebi

Unfortunately, due to this one being rearranged to a work night, I won't be able to make it. :( Still, I wish all travelling Rovers a safe and pleasant journey and with any luck we'll have a gay old time! (I'm so sorry)

Very good preview. Another tale on the seagull nickname, is when Brighton went to play palace at Selhurst Park. Palace fans chanted eagles eagles. Then a seagull landed on the pitch and Brighton fans chanted seagulls seagulls. Which has stuck every since.

You are right about travel, train or bus. Match day ticket covers travel from Brighton, Lewes and haywards heath. When I go there, i only have to pay for lewes. Handy as I often go for a beer or four and get back on the train. The pub in Brighton to aim for is EVENING STAR (pricey, depends on the strength of the beer, but fantasic for real ale drinkers - I go there often). Mixed fans (though Arsenal fans were banned for the recent FA Cup match, after a tip off from police)

Another thing Brighton are trying to do, is make match attendance fan friendly. Stewards very friendly, unless you kick off. Then things change very fast. Instant back up etc. Every seat is a soft leather seat. Beer in the away end is often the beer sold at the opponents ground, this beer would be the guest beer in the home fans bar - Dicks bar. There is enough cellar room at the Amex to hold 500 barrels. When I say barrels, I mean a 36 gallon, 288 pints, barrel. They employ somebody in each stand just to change barrels.

For disabled supporters. It is the best ground I have ever been to for these folk. Own seating area, with very good view, toilets, Kiosks and lifts and stewards to help them out if needed. After the match, for those going home by train, they have their own ramp exit to the station. Coach park is just outside the away stand - south stand.

All pies etc are sold within the ground. No Kiosks - apart from programes - outside the ground for example. Pies are made at the ground, as it has its own bakery.

At one time homophobic chanting was stamped on. fans hauled out and instant arrests. Hard to prove you were not chanting. These days brighton fans chant back, "your to ugly to be gay". Talking to a friend of mine who is one of the senior stewards recently. he said the clamp down is back, due to palace coming soon.

Happy to help if folk need advice etc.

Roughhousing tactics? Unless El Abd was on loan at Rovers for the game they must have been watching a different game to me. Everytime one of their players got touched they were rolling around like they had been shot. Biggest bunch of prima donnas I've seen at Ewood for years.

The draw with Brighton was probably the most impressive result (and could easily have been better) under Appleton - he got his tactics almost spot on - the one mistake bringing Goodwillie on.

A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world - but a draw or victory would really get the ball rolling.

Wouldn't like to say which way it will go - in truth we have only been workmanlike under Appleton - but the organisation and additional hard work has made all the difference against the "lesser" teams where we can rely on flashes of quality that the team undoubtably has. Against Brighton they will have to pull it up a notch.

The draw with Brighton was probably the most impressive result (and could easily have been better) under Appleton - he got his tactics almost spot on - the one mistake bringing Goodwillie on.

A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world - but a draw or victory would really get the ball rolling.

Wouldn't like to say which way it will go - in truth we have only been workmanlike under Appleton - but the organisation and additional hard work has made all the difference against the "lesser" teams where we can rely on flashes of quality that the team undoubtably has. Against Brighton they will have to pull it up a notch.

I do not know how Brighton play away from home. But at the Amex they pass it around a lot at the back and all of a sudden the ball goes forward. I watched them v hull on saturday, where they won 1 0. First half brighton should have been at least 3 up. Bad shooting stopped that. I think a draw is the most likely result.

Roughhousing tactics? Unless El Abd was on loan at Rovers for the game they must have been watching a different game to me. Everytime one of their players got touched they were rolling around like they had been shot. Biggest bunch of prima donnas I've seen at Ewood for years.

El Abd can be a good defender at times. Though can also be a liability. Depends on the referee. he does have a tendancy to grab players shirts in the box.

Great preview.

Brighton are quickly becoming the easiest team to dislike with their play acting on the field and the delusions of grandeur fans off it.

We owe them one after they stole a point at Ewood.

If I was Appleton I'd show the tape of the home match and tell the plays to go out and do it all again, we are better than them and bar any moments of madness (cough Goodwillie) this is a game we can win!

Thinking about making the long journey for this one - is it worth it just to watch us capitulate ?

Just can't justify taking two days leave for this match. Brightons new ground will have to wait until next season for me.

I don't think we'll capitulate either, I really fancy us to win down there.

Rovers and earth to meet with a bang for this one. Second game in a few days, away from home our lot won't fancy it. I'll be hugely impressed if we come away with anything from this one.

Thanks, Amarillo, for one of the best previews I remember reading.

As for USABlue's comment, I just get the feeling, while it may have been true under this season's previous regimes that a midweek match at Brighton wouldn't have got the players fired up, Appleton won't tolerate such an approach. Having listened to the Radio 5 Sport Extra comment on the Brighton game at Ewood the other week when they seemed to have a lot of possession in their own half but carried very little threat near our goal, I think we can win this one. My Blackpool-supporting friends told me that Appleton's first job with them was to tighten up their defence and we've not conceded a goal since Goodwillie's mental aberration in that game.

Oh, and I totally agree with your first comment, "The Dart"!

Brighton always have a lot of possession but most of the time they don't do anything with it. Buckley is the danger man and one of the best wingers in this league so we need to keep him quiet. They are dangerous down the flanks with Bruno, Bridge, Buckley and Lua Lua. They are weak in centre mid and up front.

They have a solid defence but struggle with pace so Campbell will cause them problems.

Tough match and a draw looks most likely.

I do not know how Brighton play away from home. But at the Amex they pass it around a lot at the back and all of a sudden the ball goes forward. I watched them v hull on saturday, where they won 1 0. First half brighton should have been at least 3 up. Bad shooting stopped that. I think a draw is the most likely result.

Thats Evo Stick league stuff, exactly the way AFC Fylde played for years, pass around at the back and then wham, wide or into the channels, I do think Appleton will keep the same starting 11 though I would play Campbell instead of CJR, I think he would close the back four down quickly and cause problems, however I dont think we will get much out of this game, anything will be a bonus!!

Archived