BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brighton vs. ROVERS Match Thread

Amo

Indeed it is the law...... unfortunately when I watch football on TV it seems so few referees and assistants have read and absorbed it. :!: Pens are continually given for much less.

Moving on it is difficult to say how much intent was involved. only Olsson can answer that question. What I saw was a ball deflected onto Olsson but he did handle and he did end up with the ball perfectly at his feet.

The general rule of thumb I used to try and apply was to try and gauge where they were looking. If a player's eyes were focused on the ball then to my mind it was beyond reasonable doubt it was deliberate. On this occasion Olssen's eyes were looking away from the ball as he took a poor touch so for me totally unintentional. The fact he got control shouldn't come into it the officials train of thought.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you really think that Markus Olssen delibertaely handled the ball? Why on earth would he vae done that? It was a rank bad decision made by the assistant. The ball bounced up and no way on earth was it intentional.

How bad would it have looked on the referee if he hadnt have given a penalty for this handball, think we need to be having a closer look at Markus Olssons ability rather than the referees.

Take exactly the same scenario of Olssons handball outside the penalty area and what you have given as a referee ?

• Backroom

I think I got decidedly stupider by reading that

They don't seem to appreciate that teams employ unpretty and sometimes downright ugly tactics when playing away from home and defending a lead.

It would appear Brighton have never been dirty (el abd), never time wasted or ever done anything dodgy at all, they must have their eyes closed every time their players throw themselves to the ground trying to con the ref.

They have a go at the ref but no mention of the double standards in regard to the two penalty claims

Soulless club with fans too big for their sparkly boots!

Theres one or two making decent points in there to be fair.

E.g.

"We would do exactly the same away from home if 1-0 up"

"True, but we tend to cheat a lot as well, which is frustrating to see."

"maybe we should look a bit closer to home when apportioning blame for not winning tonight"

Brighton havent won a single game they have gone behind in this season, thats their problem, not our tackling or time wasting. To be honest 5 yellows included 1 for time wasting and 1 for protesting a soft penalty, so hardly rough-house stuff.

They have got a whole generation of new fans down there now so i'll forgive a lot of them for thinking they are expecting championship teams to play like 70's Brazil ! A lot of them will be new to regular live football after climbing out their armchairs after a decade watching Arsenal/Chelski/Utd so ignore em.

They have got a whole generation of new fans down there now so i'll forgive a lot of them for thinking they are expecting championship teams to play like 70's Brazil ! A lot of them will be new to regular live football after climbing out their armchairs after a decade watching Arsenal/Chelski/Utd so ignore em.

Said that to someone today. Brighton have had an influx of 'new fan's coming from London. Who won't pay the prices London clubs are asking. A lot of Brighton fans don't like them. As they have been causing problems for awhile. An arrogant bunch.

I think I got decidedly stupider by reading that

They don't seem to appreciate that teams employ unpretty and sometimes downright ugly tactics when playing away from home and defending a lead.

It would appear Brighton have never been dirty (el abd), never time wasted or ever done anything dodgy at all, they must have their eyes closed every time their players throw themselves to the ground trying to con the ref.

They have a go at the ref but no mention of the double standards in regard to the two penalty claims

Soulless club with fans too big for their sparkly boots!

Lets be honest most teams at times employ tactics that other teams won't like. All crowds get on the backs of referees. It is not just teams like Rovers or Brighton.

I may be being unfair but I'm just reacting mainly to what I've read on their forums and on twitter

Sadly money changes fans expectations in all of us. Many on here will remember Rovers before JW came along. We did not really expect much. Maybe a decent cup run - but we always hoped for more.

Then JW came in and changed everything. New fans came in. Fans expectations changed. We expected good times. Now there will be a lot of fans who won't remember the times or were not around before JW and have been so used to eating at the top table - so now expect it all the time.

The same has happened at brighton - but in a shorter period of time. As I live and work in the area and have customers there - I see this change happening. A lot of Brighton fans won't visit that north end chat site for that reason.

What did not help matters with regards to the area, was Brighton gaining city status. That changed everything again. Brighton is now like a London suberb. The area now full of folk who have moved out of London, as they cannot afford to live there. I am aware Blackburn has desires on becoming a city - sometimes we have to be careful what we wish for. Though I think Blackburn would be to far for it to become a manchester suberb.

But basically money changes everything in this game. This applies to every club.

I think I will say here, from the games I have seen Brighton play, they are all fur coat and no knickers, pass the ball well and pretty triangles, lots of Huffing and puffing without any real quality in the final third of the park, as opponents, you set yourselves up accordingly, let them have the ball and pass it around in the areas in which you allow them to do so, yes it looks pretty but its also pretty innefective too.

They do have good movement, play nice triangles but unfortunately appear to struggle scoring goals, a well drilled side will always make it awkward for them!

I think I will say here, from the games I have seen Brighton play, they are all fur coat and no knickers, pass the ball well and pretty triangles, lots of Huffing and puffing without any real quality in the final third of the park, as opponents, you set yourselves up accordingly, let them have the ball and pass it around in the areas in which you allow them to do so, yes it looks pretty but its also pretty innefective too.

They do have good movement, play nice triangles but unfortunately appear to struggle scoring goals, a well drilled side will always make it awkward for them!

My view also. Seen them a few times this season at the Amex. As you say, pretty triangles but nothing up front. Take out Liam Bridcott, Brighton would really struggle.

Seem to remember Alan Mullery saying much the same about Rovers after 2-2 draw way back in '77. 'Fanny football' I think was his description!

• Backroom

Brighton fans can be added to ManUtd, Leeds and Millwall for sheer unpleasantness judging by that forum. They all seem rude and judgemental, even amongst their own. Oh, so bitchy :P

Loved that 'oh, be nice', btw Toppers haha.

Archived