BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fergie Set To Retire?

Looking at some of the United forums, polls on there have Mourinho and Klopp as the clear two candidates they would prefer and Moyes is pretty low down on the list. It might not be representative of the fanbase but if that sort of polling is accurate they could turn on Moyes pretty quickly if he doesn't start well.

Good luck to Moyes, he's going to have to hit the ground running and challenge for the title and European honors straight away.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B&WA and I communicate on another Rovers forum as well, which is what he was referencing with the Kermit comment.

Gathered it was an in joke, I just couldn't resist the pun.

Looking at some of the United forums, polls on there have Mourinho and Klopp as the clear two candidates they would prefer and Moyes is pretty low down on the list. It might not be representative of the fanbase but if that sort of polling is accurate they could turn on Moyes pretty quickly if he doesn't start well.

Good luck to Moyes, he's going to have to hit the ground running and challenge for the title and European honors straight away.

Surprised at that given the backing Ferguson has given Moyes in the past. It's been reported on and off for a few years that Moyes was Ferguson's personal choice.

Mourinho undoubtedly is a fantastic manager for certain clubs, but his ethos is completely different to Ferguson. Under Ferguson, nobody is bigger than the club, he develops players, gives young players a chance and becomes part of the fabric of the club. Moyes has done all those things at Everton. Mourinho does the complete opposite.

I know Klopp's had great success in Germany, but he'd represent a huge risk. AVB was touted as the next great thing when he arrived at Chelsea and was out of his depth due to inexperience. Guardiola would have ticked all the boxes but is unavailable.

Surprised at that given the backing Ferguson has given Moyes in the past. It's been reported on and off for a few years that Moyes was Ferguson's personal choice.

Mourinho undoubtedly is a fantastic manager for certain clubs, but his ethos is completely different to Ferguson. Under Ferguson, nobody is bigger than the club, he develops players, gives young players a chance and becomes part of the fabric of the club. Moyes has done all those things at Everton. Mourinho does the complete opposite.

I know Klopp's had great success in Germany, but he'd represent a huge risk. AVB was touted as the next great thing when he arrived at Chelsea and was out of his depth due to inexperience. Guardiola would have ticked all the boxes but is unavailable.

Take Redcafe for example, the current polling:

Mourinho- 46.50%

Klopp- 29.48%

Moyes- 11.25%

Only 329 votes but reading the comments on there it appears there would be a lot of unhappy fans if Moyes gets it.

I agree with your comments about Mourinho but if United are in win now mode he is the best candidate. Football has moved on and fans demand instant results, I think Mourinho would achieve that straight away. With Moyes I think you are looking at trying to recreate the Fergie scenario where he's there for the long haul with some ups and downs along the way.

If you were a United fan would you rather have 2-3 years of plenty of trophy wins or a couple of years of transition and bedding in from a new manager.

Take Redcafe for example, the current polling:

Mourinho- 46.50%

Klopp- 29.48%

Moyes- 11.25%

Only 329 votes but reading the comments on there it appears there would be a lot of unhappy fans if Moyes gets it.

I agree with your comments about Mourinho but if United are in win now mode he is the best candidate. Football has moved on and fans demand instant results, I think Mourinho would achieve that straight away. With Moyes I think you are looking at trying to recreate the Fergie scenario where he's there for the long haul with some ups and downs along the way.

If you were a United fan would you rather have 2-3 years of plenty of trophy wins or a couple of years of transition and bedding in from a new manager.

Perhaps this "right time" thing is because Man Utd are so far ahead of the competition domestically that they feel they can retain the PL title for a couple of years with Moyes in charge, even whilst he's learning. Regardless of Moyes/Mourinho/Klopp, you would say they start the season as huge favourites.

I completely agree that Mourinho would give them a much bigger chance of winning the CL over the next 2-3 years. Although to be honest, I think it's a credit to the Glazers that they are looking beyond this time frame and want to build something more long term.

I've always been a huge fan of Moyes so I think he'll do well there. Retaining the Championship and getting through the group stages of the CL would settle him in nicely and should be well within his capabilities.

If Mourinho ends up at Chelsea as well the top of the PL would be the most interesting it's been for many years next season.

Perhaps this "right time" thing is because Man Utd are so far ahead of the competition domestically that they feel they can retain the PL title for a couple of years with Moyes in charge, even whilst he's learning. Regardless of Moyes/Mourinho/Klopp, you would say they start the season as huge favourites.

I disagree. Ferguson is United's greatest asset, it is his example and will to win that powers them. They are not so far ahead of domestic competition as to be untouchable. As has often been the case in the past, their title success this season owes much to their rivals' inability to sustain a challenge. Chelsea, and City in particular, have all they need to compete (on the face of it) yet some of their results this season were atrocious. They have money to burn, however, and will be re-tooling, once again, in the summer. I'm rooting for Mourinho to go to Chelsea. Without Ferguson to stand in his way, he'd make Chelsea the presumptive favourites for the championship.

All that being said, United must be commended for the essential tradition of consistency that has seen them so hard to shake loose for so long.

Arsenal were once a relevant threat but Wenger's stubborn policies and inability to adapt have set them back to the point where they aren't even the best of the chasing field. His decision to flog his best player to United last year probably assured the title went to OT.

Personally I hope the transition is terribly fraught.

I disagree. Ferguson is United's greatest asset, it is his example and will to win that powers them. They are not so far ahead of domestic competition as to be untouchable. As has often been the case in the past, their title success this season owes much to their rivals' inability to sustain a challenge. Chelsea, and City in particular, have all they need to compete (on the face of it) yet some of their results this season were atrocious. They have money to burn, however, and will be re-tooling, once again, in the summer. I'm rooting for Mourinho to go to Chelsea. Without Ferguson to stand in his way, he'd make Chelsea the presumptive favourites for the championship.

All that being said,United must be commended for the essential tradition of consistency that has seen them so hard to shake loose for so long.

Arsenal were once a relevant threat but Wenger's stubborn policies and inability to adapt have set them back to the point where they aren't even the best of the chasing field. His decision to flog his best player to United last year probably assured the title went to OT.

Personally I hope the tradition is terribly fraught.

Wenger inherited that great George Graham defence so all he needed to do with add a little bit of flair to turn them into a real powerhouse. As soon as those players left or retired the defence became weak and the trophies dried up. He's done a lot for the club overall but he is vastly overrated and should have gone some time ago.

United go into every single game expecting to win or get something, that's a big difference compared to Everton. Maybe Moyes can cope but the pressure of that job would crush and destroy a lot of managers.

If Mourinho gets the job at Chelsea and he gets full autonomy and no interference from Roman they should be favorites to win the league.

Wenger inherited that great George Graham defense so all he needed to do with add a little bit of flair to turn them into a real powerhouse. As soon as those players left or retired the defense became weak and the trophies dried up. He's done a lot for the club overall but he is vastly overrated and should have gone some time ago.

Do you mean like the unbeaten season where Arsenal had none of Winterburn, Dixon, Bould and Adams?

Wenger inherited that great George Graham defense so all he needed to do with add a little bit of flair to turn them into a real powerhouse. As soon as those players left or retired the defense became weak and the trophies dried up. He's done a lot for the club overall but he is vastly overrated and should have gone some time ago.

United go into every single game expecting to win or get something, that's a big difference compared to Everton. Maybe Moyes can cope but the pressure of that job would crush and destroy a lot of managers.

If Mourinho gets the job at Chelsea and he gets full autonomy and no interference from Roman they should be favorites to win the league.

I've noticed you use "defense" and "honors" today. Are you American ?

Moyes will hopefully start the decline.

At Eveton he has spent millions on millions (despite trying to blank it from the history books with his contstant pleas of poverty) and in that time he is still languishing behind even Joe Royle in terms of winning things.

Souness, McClaren, McCleish, Redknapp and Laudrup have all won trophies at supposed smaller clubs with smaller budgets.

Wenger has won three titles at Arsenal. The first one was with the original defence. The last two were with a defence of Lehmann, Cole, Campbell, Toure and Lauren - all Wenger players. The last title they went unbeaten all season and the only non Wenger player in the team was Bergkamp....

I bet the OT faithful will be delighted with the defensive football being served up.

Also delighted will be Mourinho and Mancini.

United to vie for the 4th champions league spot with Spurs.

I don't think this season's Man Utd have been a vintage crop (although I should temper that comment with the fact that I haven't watched much Prem League footy this season). The lack of credible opposition appears to have been the reason for them romping away with the title.

I wonder if Utd will get the same unbelievable refereeing decisions in their favour next season without Ferguson to put the fear up every ref?

Wenger has won three titles at Arsenal. The first one was with the original defence. The last two were with a defence of Lehmann, Cole, Campbell, Toure and Lauren - all Wenger players. The last title they went unbeaten all season and the only non Wenger player in the team was Bergkamp....

Seaman was the keeper during two of Wenger's successful title campaigns.

Moyes is the one of the best managers in the PL, but still I'm surprised they've opted for someone with no title-winning or Champions League experience, especially with both Chelsea & Man.City looking to bring in hire calibre managers. I share LeChuck's sentiment, that such is the Red Devil's dominance that they're prepared to invest in a gradual, long-term transition with Moyes in order to maintain that consistency in the dugout, rather than Mourinho, who's more of a short-term fix.

• Moderation Lead

Moyes is the one of the best managers in the PL, but still I'm surprised they've opted for someone with no title-winning or Champions League experience, especially with both Chelsea & Man.City looking to bring in hire calibre managers. I share LeChuck's sentiment, that such is the Red Devil's dominance that they're prepared to invest in a gradual, long-term transition with Moyes in order to maintain that consistency in the dugout, rather than Mourinho, who's more of a short-term fix.

Most United fans I know were underwhelmed Moyes was mentioned in the past- I spoke to one today who's a season ticket holder and he hasn't changed- he'd be unhappy!

• Backroom

I don't think this season's Man Utd have been a vintage crop (although I should temper that comment with the fact that I haven't watched much Prem League footy this season). The lack of credible opposition appears to have been the reason for them romping away with the title.

I wonder if Utd will get the same unbelievable refereeing decisions in their favour next season without Ferguson to put the fear up every ref?

Imo, that young side will gel VERY well over the next season or two and it's essentially up to Moyes to add a couple of signings to complement it. In terms of tactics and results, the pressure is on, but Fergie has left his successor some excellent tools to work with.

Archived