BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fergie Set To Retire?

Laudrups done it once, yes others have won things but where are they now??? Moyes has kept Everton in around the top 6 for ages, has a good track record in the market and has performed over a sustained period. I'm sure these will have been strong points in his favour.

I cannot believe people are attacking his record in the market. Just look at how many players he's bought relatively cheap and then sold on for silly money. Rooney and Rodwell would run their academy for 10 years easily. What's Felaini worth? Miralles, Jelavic etc etc Evertons record under Moyes is very strong and unlike Hughes he's been succesful at it for a lot longer. The job he's done at Everton is first rate and whilst I wouldn't have choosen him (Jose 4 me) He's done the one thing all these others people have mentioned sustained success on a shoe-string as the others are pretty much one-season wonders. Moyes has done it for 11 seasons. I also think that will be one of the main reasons he got the job, as the big names ala Jose etc never hang around and Moyes has and done very well at it as he's built a couple of squads during his time.

Absolutely.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you're probably right. I suppose it comes down to where you think Everton would finish under an average manager. I always had it in my head that they should be finishing about 7th anyway, and Moyes has only bettered that 4 times in 11 seasons. But I'm probably saying 7th because thats how Moyes has made people think about Everton, when without him they probably wouldn't have been much better than the likes of Villa and Newcastle over the last 10 years.

Villa and Newcastle are good comparisons I think. If you look at how their performances have fluctuated over those eleven years it does highlight how consistent Moyes has been. Every so often Villa/Newcastle challenge the top six as well, but they've never had a sustained run at it.

I think you're right about Moyes changing perceptions of Everton as well. This is their league placing history prior to his first full season (1997-2002):

15th, 17th, 14th, 13th, 16th, 15th.

So they certainly weren't an established top seven team before his arrival. Relegation candidates if anything. Again, I think that's testament to the job he's done there that people consider them an established team at that end of the table now.

Net spend of ever-present Premier League clubs since David Moyes took charge at Everton:

Chelsea £526.5m

Manchester City £441.7m

Liverpool £173.8m

Tottenham £173.7m

Manchester United £155.4m

Aston Villa £103.7m

Arsenal £32.7m

Fulham £27.3m

Everton £13.9m

Interesting stats. Tottenham outspending United yet continue to disappoint while Villa have spent heavily yet seem to struggle near the bottom year on year. Arsenal outperforming vastly compared to net spend, indicating a very good manager in charge.

Would be interested to see our net spend in out 18 or so years in the Premier League if anyone has them.

Moyes is a good choice for them. First and foremost, he'll take no sh1t from any player - and if they try it on they'll be out of the door - just as Ferguson worked. Secondly, he knows how to organise a team and win games.

Interesting stats. Tottenham outspending United yet continue to disappoint while Villa have spent heavily yet seem to struggle near the bottom year on year. Arsenal outperforming vastly compared to net spend, indicating a very good manager in charge.

Would be interested to see our net spend in out 18 or so years in the Premier League if anyone has them.

Couldn't see any up-to-date info or anything that includes the Jack Walker years but there's a graphic on sportingintelligence.com showing that in the 10 years up to the start of the 2011-2012 season Blackburn had a net income of £42.5m.

The only Premier League (at the time) club with a net transfer income over that period. That's quite astonishing, assuming it's correct.

Edit: slightly updated post-Nasri table shows Arsenal also had a net income (but not as much) at that time.

Moyes is a good choice for them. First and foremost, he'll take no sh1t from any player - and if they try it on they'll be out of the door - just as Ferguson worked. Secondly, he knows how to organise a team and win games.

It will be interesting to see how he copes as now he's expected to win every match and that will mean him adapting his style from Everton. Also keen to see how he gets on in the Fatcow cup (chumps league).

Plus I'd love to have Rooneys face when he found out, bye bye Wayne get yourself over to germany, it's all legal there son!

From 1992, less the two seasons we were in Div 1, right up until Venky's took us down, our net spend is approx -£13m. That's if my calculations are correct.

• Backroom

I'm not sure whether you can automatically classify the first point as a good thing. Moyes doesn't have the gravitas of Ferguson, big players - particularly those who have won more in a few years than he ever has - are just as likely to tell him where to shove it as follow his orders. People keep saying Moyes is "cut from the same cloth" from Ferguson and talk as if that's a good thing, but a mini-Fergie is not necessarily what United require. If the players perceive that they're playing under a less talented SAF will this motivate them to play well or respect Moyes?

As for organising teams and winning games, yes, in the Premier League - playing a style that primarily revolves around banging the ball upto a beast such as Fellaini. He'll need to adapt his style for United and also learn how to play in European competition as he has practically no experience of such an environment. He won't just walk in and replicate Ferguson's success on the basis of being a no-nonsense Scot. He'll need more than that about him, and it'll be very interesting to see if he can rise to the challenge. Managing Manchester United is an entirely different prospect than managing Everton, in every respect, and I don't think he'll be afforded the patience that Ferguson was afforded.

I'm not sure whether you can automatically classify the first point as a good thing. Moyes doesn't have the gravitas of Ferguson, big players - particularly those who have won more in a few years than he ever has - are just as likely to tell him where to shove it as follow his orders. People keep saying Moyes is "cut from the same cloth" from Ferguson and talk as if that's a good thing, but a mini-Fergie is not necessarily what United require. If the players perceive that they're playing under a less talented SAF will this motivate them to play well or respect him.

Have you read Baz Rathbone's autobiography DE? He played under Moyes at PNE. The first thing he did at Everton, when he was an unknown, was to leave the players in no doubt as to who was in charge. Moyes is a hard so and so. Doesn't follow that he'll be successful there of course, but he'll certainly do things his way. Just what we need at Ewood.

• Backroom

Have you read Baz Rathbone's autobiography DE? He played under Moyes at PNE. The first thing he did at Everton, when he was an unknown, was to leave the players in no doubt as to who was in charge. Moyes is a hard so and so. Doesn't follow that he'll be successful there of course, but he'll certainly do things his way. Just what we need at Ewood.

I haven't den, but I have no doubts that Moyes will take no crap. My point is more that he may need to adjust his methods when working with a plethora of world class egos, particularly players who may feel they're 'above' Moyes in the pecking order.

I haven't den, but I have no doubts that Moyes will take no crap. My point is more that he may need to adjust his methods when working with a plethora of world class egos, particularly players who may feel they're 'above' Moyes in the pecking order.

Part of me wants him to fail. It would be fantastic to see the United fans around Leyland being given a bit of grief. Trouble is, if United fall behind, we'll only have someone else take their place. Probably new, local city fans. That might be worse.

Part of me wants him to fail. It would be fantastic to see the United fans around Leyland being given a bit of grief. Trouble is, if United fall behind, we'll only have someone else take their place. Probably new, local city fans. That might be worse.

I always love to see United fail. It'd be interesting to know the exact figures but it seems like a horrifically large percentage of the football-interested population of this country now support Man U. Its very bad for the game. Ferguson's intimidation-power concerning refs was seriously threatening the integrity of the PL, the media give the club preferential treatment in terms of airtime and criticism to keep their huge fanbase happy, and regarding that fanbase the last 2 decades has seen the major erosion of smaller clubs support throughout the country as the gloryhunters steadily increase.

I'd consider it a breath of fresh air if anyone took their place. Not that it will make much difference to how many Man U shirts you see infesting towns up and down the country. The term gloryhunter is slightly misleading, even gloryhunters stick with their club for life, and usually ensure a number of future generations do as well. It doesn't really matter if City become the dominant team for the next decade, Man U will stay have about 5 times their fanbase. So its ABU for me, can't stand them.

I always love to see United fail. It'd be interesting to know the exact figures but it seems like a horrifically large percentage of the football-interested population of this country now support Man U. Its very bad for the game. Ferguson's intimidation-power concerning refs was seriously threatening the integrity of the PL, the media give the club preferential treatment in terms of airtime and criticism to keep their huge fanbase happy, and regarding that fanbase the last 2 decades has seen the major erosion of smaller clubs support throughout the country as the gloryhunters steadily increase.

I'd consider it a breath of fresh air if anyone took their place. Not that it will make much difference to how many Man U shirts you see infesting towns up and down the country. The term gloryhunter is slightly misleading, even gloryhunters stick with their club for life, and usually ensure a number of future generations do as well. It doesn't really matter if City become the dominant team for the next decade, Man U will stay have about 5 times their fanbase. So its ABU for me, can't stand them.

Boo, killjoy. They're an English success story, albeit run by Scots and owned by Americans. Hoping they fail is like hoping Rolls Royce goes bust or they stop making James Bond films or something. Come on, admit that you find them exciting.

Then again, I've always kind of liked them. I only ended up supporting Rovers because my old man was a miserable tosser who wouldn't take me to Old Trafford (too far, Blackburn was cheaper, getting ridiculed by all the Liverpool and Man Utd supporting kids in Helmshore would be character-building).

Maybe Den, someone on the radio the other day commented that United as a club were conservative with a small "c". It seems to me that just because they appointed a hard as nails Scotsman 27 years ago and enjoyed unprecedented success, they're hoping they can repeat the trick in a completely different era.

I like Moyes and think he has done a very good job at Everton given the relative financial constraints he had to work under there. However I still think there's a world of difference between keeping a team punching above their weight and winning trophies at a top 2 Club year in year out. It reminds me a bit of Hodgson doing very well at Clubs like Fulham and WBA then appearing to be completely overawed and out of his depth at Liverpool. Ferguson had won the European Cup winners Cup with Aberdeen before he joined United so there were signs he was something extraordinary as a manager even then.

Boo, killjoy. They're an English success story, albeit run by Scots and owned by Americans. Hoping they fail is like hoping Rolls Royce goes bust or they stop making James Bond films or something. Come on, admit that you find them exciting.

Then again, I've always kind of liked them. I only ended up supporting Rovers because my old man was a miserable tosser who wouldn't take me to Old Trafford (too far, Blackburn was cheaper, getting ridiculed by all the Liverpool and Man Utd supporting kids in Helmshore would be character-building).

How terrible for you. What the hell are you doing on this m/b and not that of your idols then?

It looks like it's all over bar the shouting; http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1440487/david-moyes-leave-everton-season-end-states-man-u-interest?cc=5901

24 hours to replace a manager who has been in place for over a quarter of a century. Venkys take note.

24 hours? Doubt it. The wheels will have been set in motion for this for a long long time imo.

Struggling to see how they're an english success story when all they've really achieved is ruining the competitiveness of the english game. Its not as if they've gone out there and conquered europe over the last 20 years. Football isn't like other forms of entertainment, every gloryhunter Man U pick up from round here is one less fan to keep Rovers going. I find it hard to sit back and admire their success when every new trophy-strewn season is another 1,000 kids in the Blackburn area who'll choose Man Utd on Sky over Rovers at Ewood in the future.

And your dad was right, it is character building to support your local club, its the tough option. And thats why so many youngsters are refusing to take it, as you presumably would have if it wasn't for your dad. But what happens if everyone starts taking the easy option? No more football. Gloryhunters are the enemy of the game, never mind me being a killjoy, they're ****s in my opinion.

And just to give you an example, I walked into a pub in Blackburn a few years back right after watching us against Man U. Had my Rovers gear on and when I got to the bar about 8 chavvy prats started giving me stick. None wearing any colours, none had been to the game, none had even watched it. And as it turns out they were Man U "supporters" from Accrington looking for trouble. Thats the type of vermin they are, I don't know how anyone can like them. Unless some people just pretend because its easier than opposing them.

I despise ManU supporters in this area with a vengeance. Neighbour and his family are all Blackburn born and bred yet opoenly flaunt their Red allegiances. I refuse to speak to him and I've told him why - that he's just a glory hunter and a traitor and a disgrace to to his town. It's nothing new however - in the late 1960s Blackburn boulevard on a Saturday was full of "fans" with red and white scarves heading for Old Trafford. They were low life then and they are low life now and they should be shunned.

I really hope Mourinho goes back to Chelsea. It could be a really open title race for the first time in a while.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Arsenal spend more this summer, seeing this as a chance to get back on top. That could mean four teams with a very realistic chance at the title.

Struggling to see how they're an english success story when all they've really achieved is ruining the competitiveness of the english game. Its not as if they've gone out there and conquered europe over the last 20 years. Football isn't like other forms of entertainment, every gloryhunter Man U pick up from round here is one less fan to keep Rovers going. I find it hard to sit back and admire their success when every new trophy-strewn season is another 1,000 kids in the Blackburn area who'll choose Man Utd on Sky over Rovers at Ewood in the future.

That's fair enough. I don't *support* them, I just quite enjoy watching them because it's all a bit of a soap opera with the famous players, the history, the larger-than-life manager, and they play some entertaining football, too.

I can see why people dislike them, but I guess I'm not a typical football supporter. I would never buy a replica shirt or have "banter" with rival fans in a pub or start singing on the street.

Still, come on you Rovers! Next season - exciting times!

Archived