BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fergie Set To Retire?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see Moyes being a good choice.

Mourinho would be the stand-out candidate for me.

I think the opposite really. Mourinho is a short term choice. He brings initial success but he never builds for the future and he always creates a dark cloud which forces him to leave after a few years, leaving a new manager to pick up the pieces. If Man Utd want another 20 years of success then Mourinho isn't the man. He'll give 2-3 years but then it'll turn sour.

Surely they'll try to follow the Ferguson blue-print of picking a manager that they think will be there beyond the initial 4-5 year contract. Someone who has a track record of building teams from the ground up and developing players. Guardiola and Moyes are the only two that fit for me, and only one of those is attainable at the moment. If Ferguson has a major say in the decision I expect it to be Moyes.

I don't personally have a problem with Ferguson, sure he exhibited numerous negative personal qualities as manager of Man U but those are the sort of things also exhibited the sort of drive which made him so successful. Very few of the greatest football managers have ever been particularly liked and Ferguson is no different in that regard. By all accounts he was a good man behind the scenes, maybe I have a soft spot for him because of his political views too I guess.

His success speaks for itself and for all his watch glancing and berrating of referees, he's actually a nice bloke (away from football).

I met him once on a corporate do at Haydock Races a couple of years ago, Me & the missus had just gone to put another bet on when I noticed that the old guy in front collecting a big fat wadge of cash looked familiar. Sure enough it was Fergie. Spent a few minutes chatting with him, quite a bit about his mate Sam getting the boot from us - which he was none too amused about. My better half (a Utd fan unfortunately) had a bit of a chat with him and asked for a photo, his reply with a smile was classic - "Aye, go on lassie, but be quick mind, I'm away home noo - the missus has got ma tea on!"

Be interesting to see who'll be able to fill those shoes.

• Backroom

A fantastic manager and imo a wonderful man. I've been in his company about 6 times and he was nothing but welcoming, charitable and funny.

He winds people up in the press but is a good man and a sad loss for football. But then again, it'll be interesting to see someone take on the mantle.

I think the opposite really. Mourinho is a short term choice. He brings initial success but he never builds for the future and he always creates a dark cloud which forces him to leave after a few years, leaving a new manager to pick up the pieces. If Man Utd want another 20 years of success then Mourinho isn't the man. He'll give 2-3 years but then it'll turn sour.

Surely they'll try to follow the Ferguson blue-print of picking a manager that they think will be there beyond the initial 4-5 year contract. Someone who has a track record of building teams from the ground up and developing players. Guardiola and Moyes are the only two that fit for me, and only one of those is attainable at the moment. If Ferguson has a major say in the decision I expect it to be Moyes.

Moyes has domestic league experience, but has never won a trophy and his experience in Europe is nothing to crow about. Granted his resources at Everton were limited ands based on that he's exceeded all expectations; but to take on that job you need someone who can step in, deal with the pressures, get instant respect in the dressing room and make the transition as pain-free as possible.

Mourinhoi wouldn't be there 20 years, for sure, but he'll slot in and give them success, think of him as a stop-gap. I don't think he leaves his clubs under a black cloud. He won the treble at Inter and only left because Real came calling, he gave Porto the Champion's League., who could then blame him for leaving? Chelsea, they had started the season OK, but Abramovich wanted champagne football, Mourinho left in acrimony because of what the owner did, not what he did.

I think it's also a serious mistake to make Fergie a director, big big mistake. Appointing Moyes will really shag things up even more.

On another note, it's a sad day for football, whatever team you support.

I actually think they should consider appointing AVB, as there's no doubt in my mind he will be seen as one of the greatest managers of his era. People forget how young he is.

However they won't because they don't want to be seen appointing someone who was a Chelsea reject, plus it might be a little soon for him still. His relative inexperience cost him at Chelsea, though there won't be the same dressing room shenanigans there was there.

I don't have anything against the guy at all, he's a footballing legend, and what he's achieved is nothing short of remarkable, we'll probably never see another manager as successful as Fergie.

How good was it listening to Kenny and Fergie sparring in the media during the early to mid 90's :lol: absolutely classic stuff.

Venkys can't take away those memories :angry2:

Ferguson is a good Labour man so he has that going for him.

Otherwise he was a one-eyed bully who has exerted a malicious influence over referees and the media for far too long.

United have had 20 years of unprecedented success under him so hopefully by the law of averages they will now underperform for a similar period.

His retirement and Mourinho's likely return to Chelsea will see a big power shift in football.

• Backroom

Originally had a lot of hatred for Ferguson, but I've enjoyed him in recent years. A wind up merchant for sure, but it always used to make me laugh how much he wound up the detestable City and Liverpool fans.

With Gill leaving as well, this could be the actual end of United's era of dominance.

• Moderation Lead

Originally had a lot of hatred for Ferguson, but I've enjoyed him in recent years. A wind up merchant for sure, but it always used to make me laugh how much he wound up the detestable City and Liverpool fans.

With Gill leaving as well, this could be the actual end of United's era of dominance.

I agree with a lot of this.

The only manager with experience in this league, and pedigree of winning trophies is Mourinho, though I can't see United fans taking to him (in the beginning), other than that I have no idea.

One thing's for sure, we could well see how good of a manager Ferguson really is, once he goes and if they appoint the wrong man!

I can understand why the man gets on the nerves of many, but to me (barring a couple of years in the mid-90's), he's an absolute legend of English football.

Huge, huge success and will be missed in the game when he steps away.

David Gill said - "He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

Does Moyes have enough European experience?

The game has moved on so much I can't see a manager being given the amount of time that Fergie got. Whoever goes in there has to hit the ground running especially with those owners and the stature of the club.

Mourinho or someone like Klopp would be the best options for them, even if it means they won't be there for more than five years,

The Times is reporting that it will be Moyes in the next 24 hours: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3759033.ece

I don't know enough about Klopp, but I'm convinced Mourinho would be a disaster. He alienates himself too much from the owners, something that Ferguson has done the complete opposite of. Moyes with Ferguson shadowing for a year looks like the best bet to me.

If Moyes goes to Old Trafford, will he take Steve Kean with him since he was so outspoken about how good Kean was and how bad out of order the Rovers fans were?

Was just about to say the same thing! haha!

Sad to see Fergie stand down, best of luck to whoever is in charge next season.

Archived