BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shebby Singh

waggy

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I and more than a few others on here quite correctly predicted. It appears that you still cannot bring yourself around to seeing the wood for the trees.

I too did not find Allardyces style with us particularly attractive but that was down to finance and necessity. The Walker Trust had neither intention nor desire to fund the likes of Djorkaeff, Okocha or Campo so we and Allardyce had to 'make do' with what we had been handed on by Ince.

Here's someone who appreciates his qualities..... http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/225885.html

I totally agree with all you've said here Gordon but the myth of what Sam may have done with money at his disposal was perhaps put to rest at Newcastle?

Perhaps it's just horses for courses and even though he bored us all to death, he was undoubtedly bloody good (and still is) at what he does. Unfortunately his gob does him no favours!

I do however want to be entertained and not bored to @#/? death week in week out. Please tell, were you entertained and enjoyed your biweekly visits to Ewood under Allardyce?

• Backroom

I totally agree with all you've said here Gordon but the myth of what Sam may have done with money at his disposal was perhaps put to rest at Newcastle?

Perhaps it's just horses for courses and even though he bored us all to death, he was undoubtedly bloody good (and still is) at what he does. Unfortunately his gob does him no favours!

I do however want to be entertained and not bored to keaning death week in week out. Please tell, were you entertained and enjoyed your biweekly visits to Ewood under Allardyce?

Newcastle were doing fine until he was sacked, as far as I recall. They got relegated soon afterwards though.

some people are just stubborn to the point of total stupidity with their views and will always remain unrepentant no matter what, something life has taught me..

This MB needs someone like you,

but not right now

I do however want to be entertained and not bored to keaning death week in week out. Please tell, were you entertained and enjoyed your biweekly visits to Ewood under Allardyce?

I don't know about others but I was certainly entertained watching the Rovers under Big Sam. I certainly enjoyed it far more than anything served up since he left.

Please tell, were you entertained and enjoyed your biweekly visits to Ewood under Allardyce?

I must say I find it very difficult to understand why some people weren't. Our home record was superb, pre-match the pubs around the ground were full and the people in them simmering with optimism, you got into the stadium and saw the best attendances for 5-10 years, the atmosphere at both ends of the ground was superb (I'd never seen DE and BE singing loudly in unison before then), the team always showed 100% commitment and enjoyed playing for their manager, we got the ball in the box, we scored goals, we won matches, we saw Dunn doing things he hadn't done for years, we beat Burnley home and away, we got to a cup semi. You'll notice a lot of those positives are for people attending games, which perhaps explains why it seems to be a bigger proportion of the far-flung fans who are anti-Allarydce.

And those with an ounce of realism about the size of the club, the level of our finances and our limited ability to attract players, knew that all of the above could be gone in an instant. We weren't a Stoke, West Brom, Hull, Fulham or even a Bolton type club by then. We were a Blackpool/Burnley type PL club under Allardyce, because Jack's money had finally gone and our attendance/commercial income has always been tiny. And for a Blackpool/Burnley type club in the PL, 98% of managers will get you relegated and about 2% will keep you up. The mistake was sacking Allardyce, not hiring Kean. Anyone who thinks otherwise was still living in the 2001-08 world of £3m a season propping us up, not 2010.

I must say I find it very difficult to understand why some people weren't. Our home record was superb, pre-match the pubs around the ground were full and the people in them simmering with optimism, you got into the stadium and saw the best attendances for 5-10 years, the atmosphere at both ends of the ground was superb (I'd never seen DE and BE singing loudly in unison before then), the team always showed 100% commitment and enjoyed playing for their manager, we got the ball in the box, we scored goals, we won matches, we saw Dunn doing things he hadn't done for years, we beat Burnley home and away, we got to a cup semi. You'll notice a lot of those positives are for people attending games, which perhaps explains why it seems to be a bigger proportion of the far-flung fans who are anti-Allarydce.

And those with an ounce of realism about the size of the club, the level of our finances and our limited ability to attract players, knew that all of the above could be gone in an instant. We weren't a Stoke, West Brom, Hull, Fulham or even a Bolton type club by then. We were a Blackpool/Burnley type PL club under Allardyce, because Jack's money had finally gone and our attendance/commercial income has always been tiny. And for a Blackpool/Burnley type club in the PL, 98% of managers will get you relegated and about 2% will keep you up. The mistake was sacking Allardyce, not hiring Kean. Anyone who thinks otherwise was still living in the 2001-08 world of £3m a season propping us up, not 2010.

Exactly right SKH. Unarguable. Unfortunately some plonkers will still try.

...tbh I don't know how some people can look in a mirror without seeing a complete simpleton looking back.

i immediatly though of that as well funnily enough.. :P saxo rises..

i immediatly though of that as well funnily enough.. :P saxo rises..

kudos junkie

:lol:

Exactly right SKH. Unarguable. Unfortunately some plonkers will still try.

...tbh I don't know how some people can look in a mirror without seeing a complete simpleton looking back.

you have been posting long enough to know by now Gordon

I must say I find it very difficult to understand why some people weren't.

A lot of people made their mind up before he walked into the club, remember the Facebook episode when JW decided to put Allardyce on the back burner in favour of Ince?

A lot of people made their mind up before he walked into the club, remember the Facebook episode when JW decided to put Allardyce on the back burner in favour of Ince?

Some people simply dont like the man which naturally shapes their view on him.

Fact is, as hes proven time and time again is that hes a very good manager there really is very little to debate.

I distinctly remember listening to 606 after we had drawn at home to Fulham, circa sep 2010, and we had scored a dubious goal where El Hadj Diouf had impeded the keeper from a Robinson launch into the box.

Some idiot Rovers fan (a woman, incidentally) called up and ranted about how disgraceful we were under Allardyce and that she was going to boycott the club based on such "cheating". All egged on by sanctimonious Alan Green. I wonder if she is happy now.

While I totally agree that sacking Allardyce was wrong and a major part of our demise, I think its fair to state that:

i) had he stayed and remained relatively successful he would have left of his own accord to a better job anyway, leaving us in the same predicament, just a bit later

ii) we could have easily got a better manager than Kean and that relegation after Allardyce wasn't inevitable, although more likely (it took Bolton~ 5 years to get relegated after Allardyce left)

Ultimately we will never know and this messageboard will just have to move on.......(its been almost three years now)

I agree with most of what you say Howler - apart from this bit......... "we could have easily got a better manager than Kean". A lot of fans knew we couldn't and said so. We're on number four now and are nowhere near to replacing him.

The thing was, and still is, that for a small town club to compete in the PL, everything at the club had to be absolutely spot on, from the C.E., through to the manager, players, academy scouts....... Everything. All these things have to be right, in order to put a squad of quality players onto the park. If the bigger clubs go through bad times, or make mistakes they can simply buy their way out of trouble. Rovers will never have the finances to do that, they have to work harder at keeping things stable. Making changes when they weren't necessary lead to our downfall. It had nothing to do with appointing Kean. That was simply the result of doing something totally needless. Some fans either don't realise that, or won't admit it.

I believe Judge and Marrow are better than average. Olsson not played. King average but useful off the bench. Lowe average. Debatable, as I say.

In the 2 games so far we've played gk in goal, cbs at cb, fbs at fb, cms in cm, wingers on the wing and forwards up front. No square pegs anywhere apart from Judge, whose wicked cross justifies his place out wide.

Its all a matter of opinion, but after Saturdays performance and pre-season, we're full of average players with square pegs in round holes, IMO.

Lets see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

Comments like this leave me with my head in hands..were you one of the Ewood morons who,at 3-1 up and cruising at home against Wolves,decided they were not 'entertained' enough and began to boo the side after a few backpasses?

To be fair, if not for Robbo's heroics that day, Rovers would've squandered that win. Wolves were on the ropes but instead of putting them away, Sam decided to hold back, and it almost cost Rovers. Almost.

EDIT: I'm thinking of the 3-0, actually.

Archived